What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

20 hours ago, The Big Man said:

But they're still just regular people, like you or I. What makes their opinion so damn special that they must constantly be given a podium and be mollycoddled with appeasement?

Those who were never told 'no' or 'that's/you're wrong' as children have grown into young adults who think (for example) the world owes them 'safe spaces' on uni campuses where they won't see fellow students dressed in *triggering* Hallowe'en costumes and the right to have a speaker invited by the uni who doesn't hold the same views as them banned. 

Shocker, eh? 

7 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Those who were never told 'no' or 'that's/you're wrong' as children have grown into young adults who think (for example) the world owes them 'safe spaces' on uni campuses where they won't see fellow students dressed in *triggering* Hallowe'en costumes and the right to have a speaker invited by the uni who doesn't hold the same views as them banned. 

Shocker, eh? 

I get that, they have a strong sense of entitlement. But it's also a two-way thing. People in positions of authority constantly give them a podium, and their grievances are always given media coverage. And that empowers them even further. So why do they feel compelled to give them that power and influence? Why even report their whinging as if it's society at large that now has a problem with a movie like Grease? I very much doubt society does have a problem with Grease, but the media likes to quote a few online nutters as if it does, as SteveMc seems to boldly assert, to my bewilderment. It's this disconnect that I don't understand. Is it some Twitter staffers who artificially "trend" an issue to effect some level of "social change"?

On 1/14/2021 at 1:09 AM, AC1 said:

The next movie to be cancelled or banned is ...

Grease_ver2.jpg

"Racist, rapey, homophobic and slut-shaming!"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9106979/Grease-racist-rapey-homophobic-slut-shaming-say-woke-snowflakes.html

I remember one review of Grease from 78. The critic noting its long run at the boxoffice he said Like Mononucleosis Grease refuses to go away. 

"Sorry, Jonathan Ross no longer work here."

14 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I remember one review of Grease from 78. The critic noting its long run at the boxoffice he said Like Mononucleosis Grease refuses to go away. 

i never got hooked by this movie. I love Summer Nights, but that's all.

Jojo Rabbit.

Mostly very good. It provides so much food for thought. The one thing that really annoyed me, though, were the German accents. I know it’s part of ridiculing the war, but there’s so much drama going on that that aspect just didn’t work for me, especially when Jojo’s accent temporarily disappeared at the beginning and then suddenly came back, not to mention Yorki who sounded almost Australian. Thomasin McKenzie grew on me after a while, Taika Waititi was great, Rebel Wilson was absolutely fantastic and it’s always a pleasure to see Sam Rockwell in something. I did have some doubts about the scene where Scarlet Johansson played both parents, but other than that, it was so engaging that I was sad to leave Elsa and Jojo behind.

Giacchino’s score is perfectly functional, but his harmonic language is still limited, except in the final cue. Definitely not the next John Williams. He did finally find himself a good sound mixer (though even more reverb would have been better) and the cues for solo strings were really great. Speaking of simplistic, that Bowie song...

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Flawed, but still pretty solid. Easily the best of these Hobbit movies. And I love the Misty Mountains theme, I know Shore didn't wrote it but he weaves it into the scores in a really satisfying way.

About that other thread, this movie is easily better than all prequels (and most Sequels too). It's well acted, well directed and visually interesting, unlike those poor acted Star Wars movies.

The visuals (specifically, the horrid bloom and overall artificial aesthetic) and the absurdly long time spent in The Shire are my main [major] annoyances with the movie, but there are nice parts interspersed throughout the adventure, yes. 

I also just don't like Freeman in role. Yes, I know this a seeming quite peculiar view, but I never warmed to his Bilbo even after three movies. Oh and I can't stand Thorin either. 

Basically, yeah, I don't like it. 

So you can find it realistic and relatable?

The Equalizer 2 - one hopes that Edward Woodward would've been flattered ... Denzel's a class act, after all. That said, shame that the score doesn't contain a version of Stewart Copeland's terrific theme from the show.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

The visuals (specifically, the horrid bloom and overall artificial aesthetic) and the absurdly long time spent in The Shire are my main [major] annoyances with the movie, but there are nice parts interspersed throughout the adventure, yes. 

I also just don't like Freeman in role. Yes, I know this a seeming quite peculiar view, but I never warmed to his Bilbo even after three movies. Oh and I can't stand Thorin either. 

I actually think Freeman would've been a perfect Bilbo. Much better that Elijah Wood (which is not really that difficult, IMHO)

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I remember stumbling onto the Goblintown and Out of the Frying pan scenes on Youtube recently and was surprisingly impressed with the visuals and the staging. Definitely better than the awful bloom-laden mess of the later films that are permanently seared into my memory.

But all that Azog shit is just stupid stupid plotting. Awkward plotting/sequencing remains the bane of these films. And Thorin is annoying as hell.

It's a great movie indeed. 

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I think it was the last movie I caught in the cinema before the pandemic.

It was my last movie in theaters before the pandemic as well. But since then I managed to watch Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 on theaters.

11 hours ago, Bespin said:

Maybe I missed something?

I think you are required to appreciate this movie because it deals with social class discrimination. Personally, I don't like the style of Bong Joon-ho's comedy. I only saw one other movie by the same director (Snowpiercer) and I ultimately disliked it for the same reasons.

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@Edmilson So I'm talking yo a Brazilian girl right now, and she dropped a bombshell on me. I need you to confirm or deny...give it to me straight...........

....is White Chicks considered a classic comedy film in Brazil?

Yeah, she's right! White Chicks was a favorite for almost everyone here that was a teenager in the 2000s. Until this day the movie is well remembered among people of my age.

Nick, you might want to quote from Ebert's review:

Various combinations of the Wayans family have produced a lot of cutting-edge comedy, but "White Chicks" uses the broad side of the knife. Here is a film so dreary and conventional that it took an act of will to keep me in the theater. Who was it made for? Who will it play to? Is there really still a market for fart jokes?

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/white-chicks-2004

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

I think you are required to appreciate this movie because it deals with social class discrimination. Personally, I don't like the style of Bong Joon-ho's comedy. I only saw one other movie by the same director (Snowpiercer) and I ultimately disliked it for the same reasons.

You should check out Memories Of Murder

I didn't like Snowpiercer but then I did like Okja and Parasite.  Want to go back and check out his earlier films at some point

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I didn't like Snowpiercer but then I did like Okja and Parasite.  Want to go back and check out his earlier films at some point

I've never seen Okja, but I did see Snowpiercer at the theatre and hated it - I thought it started out well and got increasingly ridiculous (and not in a good or funny way) as it went on. I was therefore rather sceptical about all the Parasite hullabaloo last year. But I did finally watch it a week or two ago and thought it was very good indeed.

Yea, I don't really understand all the hype for Snowpiercer.  The concept is cool and it had some cool scenes but it just didn't work overall.

Okja is really fun!

Not that great.

Started good then.....

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nick, you might want to quote from Ebert's review:

Various combinations of the Wayans family have produced a lot of cutting-edge comedy, but "White Chicks" uses the broad side of the knife. Here is a film so dreary and conventional that it took an act of will to keep me in the theater. Who was it made for? Who will it play to? Is there really still a market for fart jokes?

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/white-chicks-2004

Ebert hated ALL films that featured black actors and directors lampooning black culture and society.

He married a black woman and was ultra sensitive to the racial flicks.

He panned " Don't BE A MENACE" which is hilarious.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I thought it started out well and got increasingly ridiculous (and not in a good or funny way) as it went on. 

That's how I would describe Snowpiercer AND Parasite

demolition.jpg

Good dark comedy. 7/10

Solitary_Man-292198578-mmed.jpg

One of the last (if not the last) good Michael Douglas films. 7/10

Watched Special Bulletin yesterday. It is a television movie from 1983. Its was just as effective now as back then. Sure its a gimmick but a damn fine one. 

Its  the oive broadcast of a nuclear terror event in Charleston SC. as it happens.