What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

22 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Watched Special Bulletin yesterday. It is a television movie from 1983. Its was just as effective now as back then. Sure its a gimmick but a damn fine one. 

Its  the oive broadcast of a nuclear terror event in Charleston SC. as it happens. 

I rewatch that one whenever I feel like some good nail-biting suspense.  The faux-realism of the presentation works very well somehow.

I remember watching a film like that once about a mission to mars, don't remember what it was called but it was a TV movie from the 2000s or so

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I remember watching a film like that once about a mission to mars, don't remember what it was called but it was a TV movie from the 2000s or so

I've seen some of that one, don't remember the name.  The presentation is not good, though.  It looks and feels like a cheap made for TV movie and not a live broadcast of breaking events. 

I was surprised at how emotional the film was knowing the outcome. I feel for the young female reporter asking if she was going to die. Her shock and trauma was very real.

Just now, JoeinAR said:

I was shocked at how emotional the film was knowing the outcome. I feel for the young female reporter asking if she was going to die. Her shock and trauma was very real.

Yes, the combination of acting and realism is so, so very good.  

American Sniper. At first I thought this film was going to be the same as all the other war movies I’ve watched. It did take half an hour for me to get invested in the story, but what made all the difference this time was the fact that wife and children were involved. Sienna Miller is fantastic, obviously (to think I didn’t really like her at first in Casanova), and I really can’t believe Bradley Cooper is Rocket in the Marvel movies. It’s a bit long, but I can also not think of any scenes I would have taken out. The rushed ending really sucks, though. You don’t disclose that information in a subtitle.

The sound mix is impressively dynamic, but what is it with Clint Eastwood films and scores that are only barely functional? Only two cues really worked.

I noticed Prime had the Star Trek VI director's cut with its nice open matte presentation, which was never released on Blu-ray, for sale for 5 bucks listed as "HD". It appears to be a crude upscale of the DVD transfer.

Negan didn't look as cool as manlets think he is when he was in Grey's Anatomy. God that was bad. Plus this guy single handedly halved The Walking Dead's viewership and arguably triggered its eventual demise. 

The English patient. Finally watched this after having resisted for multiple years and for reasons I can’t recall anymore. Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes were fantastic. It did take a very long time before I started getting emotionally invested in the flashbacks and I still don’t like Kristin Scott Thomas, but the ending was worth every minute of it.

Most of the score is fantastic too. Yared (was) clearly held back during The Talented Mr. Ripley. I would also probably have enjoyed it a great deal more had I not been forced to listen in mono at 64KBPS.

Dark Phoenix

Despite Simon Kinberg attempting another stab at the "Dark Phoenix" storyline, this actually turns out worse than The Last Stand. Kinberg tries to please the studio by paring down the story for one movie while taking a more serious approach -- and it turns into a dull, anemic sendoff for the "Fox-men". 

That said, Kinberg has a good handle on directing and action sequences. And as much as I like Sophie Turner, she is a woefully miscast Jean Grey. And Zimmer's score is a droning bore.

X-Men: The Last Stand

It's been a while since I've re-visited it and while it has similar plot and character problems that Dark Phoenix has (not surprising since Kinberg co-wrote both), it moves fast. 

Hired gun Brett Ratner maintains the same visual tone as Bryan Singer's but is hit-and-miss character-wise. Ultimately, the movie is pure product -- rushed to make a release date when Singer went to do Superman Returns -- but it's diverting. John Powell's energetic score gives the film the emotional gravity and excitement it needs... why he wasn't asked to do another X movie is beyond me.

Free Fire - the sort of thing that you can imagine Tarantino possibly having directed between Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, Ben Wheatley's 70s-set blackly funny action comedy about an arms deal gone horrendously wrong boasts a decent cast (Cillian Murphy, Armie Hammer, Sam Riley and Brie Larson) and is fair fun. With the proceedings almost completely confined to a derelict warehouse, Wheatley wisely keeps the runtime to a trim 90 minutes lest overt repetitiveness takes hold.

Interview With The Vampire - apart from Guns 'N' Roses shitty cover of Sympathy For The Devil on the soundtrack, a great-looking and very enjoyable vamp-romp. One remembers Anne Rice throwing her toys out of the pram at Cruise's Lestat casting, then having to 'reverse' (to an extent that she really should've been making a beeping noise) when he turned out to be, y' know ... GOOD. Hehehe.

I re-watched Taxi Driver yesterday. I'm pretty sure I was too young when I first watched it (and in French).

Now enjoying Bernard Herrmann's (last) score and enjoying the original english version (with subtitles), it was a more satisfactory experience than ever.

:up:

Spies in Disguise | 20th Century Studios Family

Spies in Disguise

Hehe, we watched this 2019 animated flick on HBO Max last night.  It was better than I was expecting!  It's sort of a cartoonish James Bond mixed with The Incredibles mixed with personified animals.  Fun voice acting by Will Smith, Tom Holland, Rashida Jones, Ben Mendelsohn, Karen Gillan, and DJ Khaled.

We barely check out any CGI kids flicks made these days and if we bother most disappoint and would never be worth watching again, but this one was better than the usual fair!

Watching the 4K Ghostbusters in honor of the late Larry King who I first saw in this movie, in which he originally looked elderly. When I saw him every time since then, he was the guy from Ghostbusters. 

National Lampoon's Vacation - on a heavily rainy lockdown January night, I opted for escapism in the form of a comedically disaster-plagued road trip with the Griswold family.

Incidentally, there's no denying the woman Clark keeps bumping into (Christie Brinkley) is gorgeous ... but Beverley D'Angelo is equally so, IMHO.