What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

34 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Alex has become so accustomed to movies shot on digital video tape, he's forgotten what 35mm film looks like.

Digital film is recorded on special SSD drives, Drax. 

codex-capture-drive-sxr-1-and-2-tb-stack

Manhattan Murder Mystery

Something about this one that feels like I'm seeing old mates again. Not very often does a film keep me grinning throughout the entire thing. And Diane Keaton sports that leather jacket reallllll good.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

I thought I saw something about those new 4k masters having frozen grain.

The reviews of the picture quality were tepid-to-mildly-positive; although I don't know the details very well.

True Lies

I'm not a big fan of this one. It feels like Cameron got drunk and made it, with some help from Michael Bay. Tom Arnold and Bill Paxton steal the movie every scene they're in. For an Action Comedy Spy Movie, it's too long at over two hours. At this point, Arnold had become more or less of a joke in all the roles he was getting and he is ridiculously unbelievable in his Average American Life as some gigantic weird Austrian dude married to a boring awkward housewife, even if that's supposed to be the joke. It's watchable, but nothing particularly great.

Man I haven't seen True Lies is so long now since first I was waiting for an anamorphic DVD then I was waiting for a Blu Ray and now we're on the 4K formats and it still isn't out.  I don't want to watch a bootleg, I wish it would just come out properly soon!

The low budget Black Scorpion. Some damn fine stop motion animation but some piss poor front & back projection 

Inspired from the 1940's volcanic eruption.

7 hours ago, The Big Man said:

People want to pretend old films were shot on digital video tape.

I didn't know it was possible to make an old movie look like it's the first ever projection on premiere night. I guess most people mistake decades of film deterioration and general abuse with 'cinematic'. I often wanted to see a movie very early on because then the print would still look pristine. It's also the reason why I hated vinyl, the more you play it, the worse it sounded. The more old film deteriorates, the more visible grain becomes. The difference in quality between a movie on premiere night and TV premiere (often years later) was immense. 

7 hours ago, The Big Man said:

digital video tape.

Not digital tape but SXR modules (flash storage).

Eyes Of Laura Mars - daft, glossy late-70s semi-spooky thriller in which the titular 'provocative' fashion photographer gains the ability to see through a killer's eyes as he strikes. With Faye Dunaway, Tommy Lee Jones, Brad Dourif and Rene Auberjonois.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

Full Metal Jacket

Whoa. Wow! As far as best Kubrick goes, for me it's a toss-up between this and Barry Lyndon. I didn't look at my phone even once while watching this.

Surely you didn't like the sluggish middle part?!

maxresdefault.jpg

The_Fury-101196615-large.jpg

Saw this 20 years before but i was for free on-demand, and i wholly enjoyed it again for its pulpy splendor, right down to the famous finale (prompting Williams' best Shostakovich impersonation). These days we just lack guys like De Palma, who can put up a great cinematic show even - despite or because? - for nonsense like this paranormal thriller. Like Hitchcock, he knows how to hold back but has an uncanny eye for brilliantly realized set pieces (the spinning woman effect and Andrew Stevens hanging on the ceiling still are unsettling). Not a particular relevant movie, but great fun to watch.

The Quick and the Dead

I like this one. Good performances and music and really stylish direction and editing during the gunfights. Plus, it has Leo at the height of Leo Mania! I have a certain affinity for it because I think Gene Hackman is just so cool in it. I love when he plays an asshole. It's a fun 90s popcorn flick, the type you'd see on the weekend either in the theater or on tape. Really nice HD transfer too.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-02-at-10-43-52-PM.pn

The Green Ray

A talky and somewhat flimsy Rohmer flick that makes it on a lot of lists. It doesn't have much meat, but the open conversations and the central character's lack of resolution does make compelling cinema.