What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Black Sunday - pissed off with America's continuing support for Israel, Palestinian terrorist group Black September plan to attack the Superbowl in collaboration with embittered Vietnam vet (and now Goodyear blimp pilot Bruce Dern) by detonating a massive 'nail bomb' attached to the blimp's gondola as it flies over the Miami Orange Bowl stadium. Robert Shaw's Mossad agent races to stop it happening.

A tense John Frankenheimer thriller, adapted from a Thomas Harris novel and with a suitably dramatic score by John Williams. The Bond-style 'superstunt' at the climax sits a little at odds with the rest of the film, but it's a minor quibble.

15 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

If Spielberg had been working with Deakins instead of Kamiński for the past 20 years those films would have been a lot more interesting, and you can add at least one star to all of them.

Yes please!

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Jason, can we PLEASE have a vomit react?

We've had one for 20 years

:pukeface:

Just click the emoticon button then type "puke" it.  Well, it will show up as soon as you type "pu"

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

While I'd certainly love to see what a Deakins/Spielberg collaboration would look like, I can't really imagine it.

Maybe that's why they never worked together? 

26 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Spielberg likes excess while Deakins loves restraint.

Wha'?! :o

So...BLADE RUNNER 2049 is restrained, is it, Alex? I find it among the most obnoxious, annoying, ostentatious, and narcissistic pieces of cinematography I've ever seen.

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So...BLADE RUNNER 2049 is restrained, is it, Alex? I find it among the most obnoxious, annoying, ostentatious, and narcissistic pieces of cinematography I've ever seen.

Well, obviously BR 2049 is Deakins' flashiest eye-candy, and for good reason.

But Deakins definitely exercises restraint. Look at something like the Assassination of Jesse James which masterfully crafts images without leaning too heavily on obvious beauty.

Jesse James is incredibly beautiful but Deakins doesn't do unnecessary camera moves or shoot from all kinds of angles for the same scene.

Deakins and Villeneuve like 'emptiness' in their shots.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Sleepy Hollow

One of Burton's best movies. It has great cinematography from Emmanuel Lubezski, a suitably creepy atmosphere, lots of gore and a great score from Elfman.

It was the best possible canvas for Burton's rather limited aesthetic sensibilities. It's easily one of his best, although, like in most of his movies, the third act clearly the worst part

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

BR2049's cinematography is luxurious, but still luxurious in a very restrained fashion. It's mainly striking lighting and striking angles, but the actual images are and camera movements are very smooth and soft.

About Schmidt. 

Wow. That was pretty good. One of the things I liked was the calm pacing, though I wish they wouldn’t have cut off that speech about why God can handle it when we’re angry with him. All the actors are great, and most especially Kathy Bates, but even though I accepted Nicholson in the end, I often wondered whether he was miscast. He sometimes seemed too rigid for the character, or the character too rigid for him, I don’t know. The man he met on his journey was a bit weird, but I love how I only feel I got a complete picture of Schmidt at the very end. That final letter he wrote was so moving, though the sister voice-over was kind of lame. I also wish he would have ended up together with Roberta.

The score is fantastic. The cues for harp and strings are heart-breaking and yet so simple. The music is so varied I think some of it might have been written by other people and the main theme gets incredible variations in both minor and major keys.

Jeepers Creepers

Omg wtf was this? Not that I didn't get any enjoyment from it, it's actually very engaging, but it's utter chaos. I did love the gorgeous Mira Sorvino look-a-like though, she looked like she wouldn't have been out of place in like Buffy or something.

21 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Jeepers Creepers

Omg wtf was this? Not that I didn't get any enjoyment from it, it's actually very engaging, but it's utter chaos. I did love the gorgeous Mira Sorvino look-a-like though, she looked like she wouldn't have been out of place in like Buffy or something.

That kinda fell apart for me with the reveal that the monster could fly ... I immediately thought 'Why bother with that shitty van, then?' 

The Lighthouse

71743969_1638339592964177_21949272655008

The first half was very good with impressive dialogue and a Dafoe that is born for this. This could have been a Joseph Losey film with a screenplay penned by Harold Pinter. Of course, Dirk Bogarde would have played the role of Robert Pattinson. However, during the second half, I found myself less intrigued because of all the drinking and drunken blathering. Whatever tension that was there in the beginning of the movie was gone. I even looked at my clock a couple of times, which is never a good sign. All and all, The Witch is better. 6,5/10

20aspect-ratios-lighthouse-mobileMasterA

About the picture quality, there was so much noise, it actually reminded me of video recordings of the old BBC series of the '70s. 

Recently I've discovered the Irish animation studio Cartoon Saloon and went through their brief filmography.

The Secret of Kells (2009) - A young boy in Kells Abbey is excited to help the newly arrived master illuminator finish the Book of Kells by going out into the dangerous forest and gathering ink material, but his uncle the Abbot wants him to help with building high walls to protect against a soon upcoming Viking attack instead.

the-secret-of-kells-50d627ddd808d.jpg&f=

Song of the Sea (2014) - After the grandma who "knows best" separates them, a young boy and his mute little sister with newly found magical powers make their way back home to their father, dog, and cozy lighthouse island, while discovering tales their mother told them may be more real than they thought.

tumblr_nljofxS4jL1qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

The Breadwinner (2017) - After the crippled war veteran father gets taken away by the Taliban, the young daughter uses her resourcefulness to disguise herself as a boy to do be able to do odd jobs and shopping under sharia law to provide for her family, and uses her imagination to keep all their spirits up with a fairytale of her own.

52498463ceac2a1f8_0.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Wolfwalkers (2020) - A young girl who at first wants to hunt wolves like her dad makes friends with the pack in the local forest and their leader, a shapeshifting girl, then tries to protect them from the aggressive soldiers.

Wolfwalkers-7.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

And holy crap did I like all of them! Each features absolutely incredible art direction and animation, great sound design and mostly very good voice acting. Kells incorporates geometric figures, manuscript art and folk art figures into its sharp design, using highly saturated greens and curves for nature and cold greys, reds and sharp angles for walls, dark places and vikings. Song of the Sea's beautiful soft night blues really stuck with me, Breadwinner fittingly goes for a more realistic style, only going into emulated paper cutout animation for the storytime sequences, and Wolfwalkers uses a rough woodblock print look for the town and more flowing expressive lines for the forest.

Though I loved all of them, Song of the Sea is definitely my favourite, its calming atmosphere, Ghibliesque energies, and pleasing parallels between the more real and more fantasy world appealed to me very much. Breadwinner is the obvious odd one out but not anywhere near being skipworthy at all - though one may do better watching it on their own than with their kids like the others. Kells and Wolfwalkers rhyme: both feature a closed-off place of civilisation vs. the forest, a main character from the former wanting to go and explore the latter, meeting a wolf-girl and being initially frightened but making friends as they explore together, and an outside force coming to attack one of them (Vikings coming to attack the abbey and English soldiers (ruling over the Irish) chasing the wolves out) - but I feel overall, thematically and plotwise, Wolfwalkers does a lot better job with incorporating all of that. I found Kells' art style easier to appreciate, its finale/epilogue more powerful, while also thinking Wolfwalkers had things I'd have trimmed down and all that better incorporation still amounts to an overall not very original plot (two groups not tolerating each other, both aggressive, main character is the mediator who is from one but really gets to know the other, their father just doesn't listen), but still, ultimately, I think the latter is the better film overall.

This studio is a basket of gems I'm really happy to have dived into. I love what people can do with stylish 2D animation and am really bummed that it died in the mainstream since I absolutely do not get the same feeling and just don't have the same appreciation for 3D. If you're in the same boat, dig right in, there still are people keeping it alive.

Police academy 2. 

I re-watched it as part of my ‘there’s no international crisis going on at all, it’s all fine’ routine (and still haven’t watched the first movie). Some good jokes, still love Mauser and Lassard and Zed reminded me of other people I can’t currently remember. Hooks is great and the absurd, rushed romance was just what I needed too.

The score is very effective while the songs and their placements are spot-on. There’s some bad sound editing going on, though, and the effects are utterly terrible. I want to watch a movie in stereo again.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

PLATOON

I didn't like it, and...oh, yeah...if I ever hear that piece of fucking music again, I swear I'll fucking kill someone.

You'll love Lorenzo's Oil.

Starship Troopers - Paul Verhoeven

Perfect combination of 80s splatter and 90s CGI.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2/21/2021 at 12:00 PM, AC1 said:

Alita: Battle Angel

20th-century-fox-2019-previews-aba_062_d

Better than I expected. Despite some oddities, it's a nice combination of Metal Hurlant, cyberpunk and manga. It presents a world that that is exciting to visit. I wasn't bored for a second. All in all, it's good popcorn fun. The weakest part is Junkie's score, which is way too exchangeable and lacking in character. Also, the music was constantly present. Alita: Battle Angel clearly ends with a sequel in mind, but given the film did not as well as Cameron & Fox had hoped for, I'm not sure if that is ever going to happen. 7/10

Concerning Alita, I started watching it with my son, because it was approved for 12 year olds, but stopped at some point because it was supprisingly brutal. I sometimes don't understand the criteria those age categorizations. For this one I would have rather expected it to be released for 16 and above.

Watching it later on my own it was fun.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Concerning Alita, I started watching it with my son, because it was approved for 12 year olds, but stopped at some point because it was supprisingly brutal. I sometimes don't understand the criteria those age categorizations. For this one I would have rather expected it to be released for 16 and above.

Watching it later on my own it was fun.

Yes, I forgot to mention, it's not for the little ones.

26 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Yes, I forgot to mention, it's not for the little ones.

Yes. And my son is twelve.

I remember a similar situation when I was eleven or twelve myself,  watching "Outland" at the cinema. And I was thinking, this is not for my age. 

8 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I remember a similar situation when I was eleven or twelve myself,  watching "Outland" at the cinema. And I was thinking, this is not for my age. 

Haha! I had that with Alien in 1979.  

And again with Jurassic Park in 1993 :mellow:, but this time I felt too old (theatre was packed with parents and their kids).

9 hours ago, The Big Man said:

You'll love Lorenzo's Oil.

Ooh, yes. I like LORENZO'S OIL. I saw it at the cinema. I found it refreshingly unsentimental.

Don't misunderstand me, I liked that piece of music, in THE ELEPHANT MAN, but, by Jiminy, it's overused, in PLATOON. I counted six times, in ten minutes. George Delerue must have hated Oliver Stone, for that.