What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

12 hours ago, AC1 said:

And again with Jurassic Park in 1993 :mellow:, but this time I felt too old (theatre was packed with parents and their kids).

Interesting thing about Jurassic Park is, if they actually made a movie true to the book, it would have to be rated R because it's very violent. I remember I read that book before I saw the film, and I thought it read as very cinematic, but the movie ended up looking nothing like I imagined.  It's regretable that it's Spielberg's kids vision of Jurassic Park that's become the way pop culture perceives that story, when the book is radically different in tone and much more interesting, but sadly overshadowed.

Empire of the Sun.

I turned to the English TV guide since the Belgian one didn’t have anything good to offer. The first thing that told me this was a good choice was the fact that the audio-describer was the man who had done the last few Game of Thrones seasons. He even inserted some dry remarks here and there. The kid seemed a little too precocious at times, I briefly got tired of him and of course he had to get separated from his parents because Spielberg. The feel-good factor was a bit too high at first too and I only truly started to ‘enjoy’ it once Jim had finally cracked, but then it also became a little long-winded. Poor Mrs Victor, though, and kudos to Spielberg for once again making me wonder: why the fuck do people allow wars to escalate?

One of the disadvantages of being a John Williams fan is that I already recognised some cues in advance. I prefer to be exposed to a film score when watching a movie for the very first time, but oh well. The piece for choir and organ that opens the movie is great, but it then gets overused. The entire choral contribution is mesmerising, however, and Jim’s New Life is way better here than that slowed-down concert arrangement recorded for the second JW-Spielberg album. The mix sounds great most of the time, but occasionally a bit shallow too. There’s also way too many scenes without any music and I’m still thoroughly confused about the effect Exsultate Justi is supposed to have in the film (and did he just repeat it twice during the credits?) Now it is time to dive into the Filmtracks review, the Matessino interview, the forum discussions and the LLL album. I see it’s out of stock, but that won’t matter: after all, my parents are members of the country club!

20210226_185011.jpg

Entering The Matrix tonight. A movie everyone here now seems to dislike as if it went into fashion for Millennials and Gen Z Snowflakes to hate on and yet remains an awesome flick as it was in 1999. 

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

There’s also way too many scenes without any music

As originally spotted, the film had more music.  During post-production, Spielberg decided to dial out score that played in "real world" scenes, only leaving score in when things were warped through Jim's view of reality.

and I’m still thoroughly confused about the effect Exsultate Justi is supposed to have in the film (and did he just repeat it twice during the credits?)

Williams wrote a completely original cue for the end of the film called "Freedom March", and what we know as "Exsultate Justi" was something only originally intended to be heard in the end credits.  But for unknown reasons "Freedom March" was never recorded, and instead a shortened version of the end credits was recorded as a revised cue for the scene and he called it "Liberation / Exsultate Justi" for the OST.

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

20210226_185011.jpg

Entering The Matrix tonight. A movie everyone here now seems to dislike as if it went into fashion for Millennials and Gen Z Snowflakes to hate on and yet remains an awesome flick as it was in 1999. 

I remember the online cultural zeitgeist of 1999 was Matrix vs TPM, in a way similar to the Dark Knight vs Indy 4 thing in 2008, and the DC vs Marvel of the 2010s. Hell even a bit of LOTR vs HP of the 2000s. Geeky factions opposing one another based on inconsequential Hollyweird franchises.

I remember the rubbish British tabloids tried to get a Harry Potter vs LotR rivalry going just before their first movies came out, they were all for Harry Potter. 

Ended up getting their eye wiped, which was nice. 

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Jay, you say that this unused Freedom March was not recorded. Was it incorporated into any other composition?

There's a mockup of it that was created and shared here not long ago, and it's indeed unique.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ooh! Where? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

Looks like I misremembered, only the "verses" are unique, the "chorus" has Jim's New Life echoes.

I wish The Freedom March had been recorded as I'd rather have that at the end of my score experience than Exsultate Justi twice

20 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I remember the online cultural zeitgeist of 1999 was Matrix vs TPM, in a way similar to the Dark Knight vs Indy 4 thing in 2008

Well they both lost miserably in 2008

3cb94c825049483d4bfcfe94b8aaa2d8.jpg

Upgrade - sci-fi set in the near future where tech implants, self-driving cars etc are widespread. Left quadriplegic and bereaved after a car crash/mugging, mechanic Logan Marshall-Green accepts an experimental 'STEM' implant that gives him the power of movement back and enhances him in several other ways. Suitably emboldened, he then sets about tracking down his wife's killers. Some good action and nicely dark humour in this, and it certainly looks like it cost more that its $3 million budget would suggest.

The Endless - two brothers who escaped a 'UFO death cult' in their teens are drawn back to it, only to discover that the remaining members may not be kidding themselves and that something genuinely 'otherwordly' might be going on there after all. An enjoyably weird sci-fi horror.

I watched Creep. It was alright, but pretty boring a lot of the time. Still, you gotta admire how much legit filmmaking can be accomplished between two dudes and a camera. It's pretty impressive from that perspective. 

Aces One Five

This is a nice little Battle of Britain film focusing on a fictional squadron and it's exploits. The dogfights are limited by the technology of the time and the model work is obvious but what actual aerial photography that is there is cool. Also focuses on Hurricanes rather than Spitfires but I'll allow it. Aside from the opening credits I honestly can't recall any music in it. 

Operation Finale

Second time seeing this and I really enjoy it. Issac and Kingsley are excellent. It looks nice, Desplat's score is good. Nice little thriller. No Spitfires. 

Don't Listen (Voces)

I'm becoming so desperate for spooky movies, I'm resorting to foreign language flicks, and this Spanish spooker isn't too bad really. I've seen a few other Spanish horrors and they were well made and did the trick for me. Watch Hollyweird mark this one for an unnecessary remake.

COME AND SEE

It's often forgotten that Hitler's policy of genocide of " inferior races" included not only European Jewry but all Slavic people's. His extermination plans, approved by his Generals, called for mass extermination, starvation and enslavement of Russians and others.

This film sets the record straight in a powerful, if depressing manner

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Hitler's policy of genocide of " inferior races" included not only European Jewry but all Slavic people's.

Its not quite the same: Hitler's intention was to exterminate ALL Jews (and not just in Europe, but also whatever parts of North Africa he took hold of) and gypsies; not so with Slavs. '

But, then again, many, many more Slavs were murdered in WWII then Jews...

21 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its not quite the same: Hitler's intention was to exterminate ALL Jews (and not just in Europe, but also whatever parts of North Africa he took hold of) and gypsies; not so with Slavs. '

But, then again, many, many more Slavs were murdered in WWII then Jews...

Hitler planned to starve them to death and work the rest to death.

Beyond outright murder.

It's all in writing.

Not one German military leader expressed any

objection.😞

Probably too scared to. The administrative system of the Third Reich was an odd sort that encouraged aggressive rivalry between members of its senior bureaucracy for the purpose of keeping them occupied one-upping each other and therefore distracted from focussing too much on the activities of Hitler's inner circle, and anyone who had the balls to stand up to Ze Fuhrer ended up being shot, ala Stauffenberg and co.

The extermination of the Jews by the Nazis was merely an economical solution to the original but costly deportation plan. Madagascar was at one point earmarked as a major destination, but it was quickly deemed more cost effective to slaughter the people instead. 

Heaven & Earth

A part of me wants to say "zzzzz..." but yeah nah. It was fine. About what I expected with Stone's sentimentalism, Richardson's glossy cinematography and overall ambitious production value that led to what might have been Stone's first big "coffee table book" movie. It's worth a look but you gotta be in the mood for it.

5 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Escape From Alcatraz 

I interviewed the screenwriter of this classic!

4 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Heaven & Earth

A part of me wants to say "zzzzz..." but yeah nah. It was fine. About what I expected with Stone's sentimentalism, Richardson's glossy cinematography and overall ambitious production value that led to what might have been Stone's first big "coffee table book" movie. It's worth a look but you gotta be in the mood for it.

The opening was great, esp. with the great music.

Richardson shot this like JFK, DOORS..and it was way overdone

I feel like there are two types of Shawshank Redemption viewers in this world. Those who say they love it and those who have seen Escape From Alcatraz and know it's a ripoff.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

The extermination of the Jews by the Nazis was merely an economical solution to the original but costly deportation plan. Madagascar was at one point earmarked as a major destination, but it was quickly deemed more cost effective to slaughter the people instead. 

Wow, this is true. We didn't learn about this in history class. 

Mass deportation was the first plan. The Nazis were going to transport a million people a year using the British merchant fleet, after they spent years convincing Jews to leave freely. But because Britain refused to cooperate and, um, lose to Germany, the Final Solution was implemented. 

Interesting that the article says Hitler told Himmler to figure out how to deal with them, and Himmler passed the buck to someone named Heydrich, who again they glossed over in history class. 

37 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I feel like there are two types of Shawshank Redemption viewers in this world. Those who say they love it and those who have seen Escape From Alcatraz and know it's a ripoff.

Tuggle hates SSR. So, do I!