What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah, Neeson's.

That's what you get for texting while drunk-driving.

Don't blame yourself

I'm sure predictive text is at fault.

But, please keep up the drunk driving and texting. It's perfectly safe.😉

brightburnf.jpg

This movie has a good starting point but quickly you'll realize that there's no intelligence behind the story or the characters, making Brightburn an empty watch. I guess it's fine for the non-critical viewer. 4/10

brightburn2019-08-20-18h45m01s907.png

Did anyone notice the lens' distortion and vignetting? Was this filmed with a cheap non cine lens?

The Firm

Sadly another promising premise betrayed by a lousy execution. I'm all for the intrigue of a corrupt law firm that murders anyone with a spine who tries to resign, but this flick somehow makes that as dull as dishwater, and its all-star cast can't save it. Surprisingly easy to follow despite its chaotic overstuffed narrative. Although Holly Hunter's neat little figure kept me from nodding off. Dave Grusin's jazzy score is nice on its own but doesn't suit the movie at all.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Although notable for being Jan de Bont. Remember how hot he was at one time? What happened? 

The Haunting happened.

His Godzilla project was something I followed a lot through magazines in the 1990s. Some of the ideas in that project eventuated in the Edwards and Dougherty movies. Emmerich and Devlin changed a lot and made it a more streamlined disaster flick.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Cinema ceased to exist on December 31st, 1979. Everything else is a footnote.

Some film historians will argue that cinema ceased to exist after November 1980. That's when the studio heads said "enough is enough".

Heavens_gate_post.jpg

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I say that about superhero movies. 

This.

Well, that and streaming.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Some film historians will argue that cinema ceased to exist after November 1980. That's when the studio heads said "enough is enough".

Heavens_gate_post.jpg

Even the tag line sucks!😆

I haven't seen Heaven's Gate, they never air it here. But what is it about this film that historians regularly cite as a turning point in filmmaking? It seems as if it's a landmark for all the wrong reasons.

It was an example of ' auteurism' run amok.

Cimino was an ego maniac who somehow convinced people  (and.himself)he was a. "genius" because he conned the Academy into voting THE DEER HUNTER Best Picture.

UA subsequently gave him total ffreedpm to make his " magnum opus" GATE.

Like ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST the self- indulgences of the director led to a box office disaster.

The difference being, Leone WAS a genious.

Coppola had a similar experience soon after with APOCALYPSE: runaway budget, extended shooting schedule.

Bottom line. GATE killed off UA, the one studio which put art before commerce😞

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

Oh so it was a bit like Friedkin's Sorcerer. Big, noisy, indulgent and lacking self-awareness.

Worse.

Much, much. Worse.

One example :They built a complete Western town set.

On a whim, Cimino decided the street was ten feet too wide.

Instead of moving ONE side ten feet- which is bad enough- he had both sides moved five feet .

I think Siskel and Ebert have their review on YT.

Ebert rips the pretension of subtitling an action scene that you have to watch. I can't do it justice.😅

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Indeed it was, and it's interesting to note that, over time, both films have been reappraised, and are now regarded as modern classics. Go figure.

You're nuts.

The only person who " reappraised" SORCERER was Friedkin himself with his self- aggrandizing reissue a few years back

ANYBODY that thinks GATE is a classic, probably feels the same way about the four plus hour version of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA

NOBODY talks or writes about TDH Any more.

It had the distinction of being the first ' epic' bout Vietnam

But, after PLATOON, BOTFJ and APOCALYPSE it floated away into the obscurity it deserves

Disclaimer: I watched a big chunk of HG on cable but not the whole film.

I am not a masochistic

46 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

But, after PLATOON, BOTFJ and APOCALYPSE it floated away into the obscurity it deserves

I don't think that's true. The Deer Hunter is still a very widely known and frequently shown film. Born on the Fourth of July floats in greater obscurity.

46 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Disclaimer: I watched a big chunk of HG on cable but not the whole film.

I am not a masochistic

I've watched the whole film a few times. I don't think I'm masochistic, although I do sometimes feel a sense of mild gratification at the burn of disinfectant on a cut.

I haven't watched Heaven's Gate, but I keep seeing it reappraised as some misunderstood arthouse masterpiece. I wonder how much of that is true.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

I haven't watched Heaven's Gate, but I keep seeing it reappraised as some misunderstood arthouse masterpiece. I wonder how much of that is true.

It looks very beautiful but moves at a funeral pace. You see in almost every scene how laborious Cimino's shoot was, and you just don't need to see 200 people roller skating for 15 minutes to get they're having fun. Tbh, i would rather watch John Wayne in 'North of Alaska' 10 times before watching HG again.

Like I said, a few years before Sergio Leone made an " art" western that suffered a similar reception.

But, it wasnt the critics who restored its reputation, it was film buffs and young directors like Boorman,Lucas, Milius.

GATE has no champions in any sphere that I know of. There's always a contrarian who will proclaim a " master piece" that only he can see.

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

Probably, if properly watched on an old VHS tape on an ancient Sony tv.

You ' had' to see it in its original 70mm , full- length version to really ' appreciate' it.

27 minutes ago, publicist said:

It looks very beautiful but moves at a funeral pace. You see in almost every scene how laborious Cimino's shoot was, and you just don't need to see 200 people roller skating for 15 minutes to get they're having fun. Tbh, i would rather watch John Wayne in 'North of Alaska' 10 times before watching HG again.

Actually it doesn't even look good.

Check out the Ebert review I posted.

It's lifeless and totally uninvolving.

Plus, what's up with that eye makeup on Walken?!😳😗

Screenshot_2021-03-08-22-13-44.png

51 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

You see Robert DeNiro's dick in it!

That's 1900 you idiot!.

Another " masterpiece"😒😗

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

It would be a stretch to call it a modern classic, but Heaven's Gate is brilliant. The Deer Hunter definitely is a modern classic, and I don't think it's great at all.

I think Gloin is the new Thor!😊

55 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

You see Robert DeNiro's dick in it!

" I quit as your son".

Funniest line in movie history

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

So is Heaven's Gate a good ASMR film?

It features John Hurt completely steerless (wondering why he's in this movie) and he's utterly annoying. It's actually the reason why I never could watch the movie till the end.

MV5BMzBmN2M4N2ItMTAzMy00MjFhLWI5MzktMzYw

2 hours ago, KK said:

Bottom line....

If Cimino had spent a reasonable amount on the film , it would have come and gone without much attention.

I mean, it's not any worse than MISSION TO MARS or THE BFG😅

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'SACHA BARON COHEN MARK STRONG THE BROTHERS GRIMSBY NOW ON BLU-RAY AND DIGITAL!'

Grimsby

LOL!  Goofy, over the top, super violent and raunchy fun.  Sacha Baron Cohen, Mark Strong, and Penélope Cruz were great throughout, Isla FIsher, Rebel Wilson, and Gabourey Sidibe sort of kept up.  They wisely keep the whole affair to a scant 83 minutes including credits.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'SACHA BARON COHEN MARK STRONG THE BROTHERS GRIMSBY NOW ON BLU-RAY AND DIGITAL!'

Grimsby

LOL!  Goofy, over the top, super violent and raunchy fun.  Sacha Baron Cohen, Mark Strong, and Penélope Cruz were great throughout, Isla FIsher, Rebel Wilson, and Gabourey Sidibe sort of kept up.  They wisely keep the whole affair to a scant 83 minutes including credits.

Damn this movie.... I remember the day I've seen it, I couldn't believe what my eyes where watching. What a total nonsense! But it was fun though.

APA Teen Film Series: Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Department of Cultural  Affairs

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

We had somehow not seen this film yet despite liking What We Do In The Shadows, Thor Ragnarok, and Jojo Rabbit, so we finally checked it out.

I found it to be a very nice little film with an interesting story!  I think I was expecting it to be a comedy so was thrown for a bit when it wasn't one (it does have some funny parts though).  Sam Neill is great as always but Rime Te Wiata stole all their scenes in the early part of the film, and Julian Dennison as Ricky Baker was great too - hopefully he has a decent career for himself.

What makes it good is not only the development of the relationship between Ricky Baker and Sam Neill but also all the quirky characters they meet along the way that always keeps things interesting.

Nice little flick!  It's free on Netflix

Hmm, I really liked Jojo Rabbit but I'd have to see each again to decide which I overall like more.  Both feel very rewatchable.

I liked Shadows, but the TV show is better than the movie I think.

Death Becomes Her

Death Becomes Her

Wow!  We were looking for something light and funny after seeing some more serious movies and this was on HBO Max so we started it up.  We had both seen it before, but not for 30ish years.  Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis, and Goldie Hawn are having a ball here; I've only seen Meryl Streep in serious roles so it was really fun to see her be funny.  Bruce Willis is kind of halfway being his snarky stoic John McClane type roles and Hudson Hawk.  Goldie Hawn was clearly having a ton of fun, and Isabella Rossellini gets to be the most bizarre of them all in a pretty wild and mostly naked performance.

What I found most interesting, however, is how incredibly obvious it was to me that this was a Robert Zemeckis film; All his trademarks are way up front here, like many scenes involving mirrors, long tracking shots, clever cuts, etc.  You can tell this is the same guy who made Contact and What Lies Beneath.

It's not a great movie, but its a pretty fun one.