What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

El Espinazo del Diablo from Del Toro

For me who's a great fan of Del Toro's Crimson Peak and Bayona's El Orfanato it was a wonderful moment to discover this movie that inspired them. Del Toro was as good in his early ages as he is today.

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

What happened to David Arnold? (rhetorical question)

He's still working, but on projects that are less high profile than he used to write for.

Why?  Nobody knows

Apparently, nobody in Hollywood want what Arnold is selling: big, thematic and expansive orchestral music. 

If he somehow convices some Hollywood producer that he can write a score like Mission Impossible - Fallout or Dunkirk or Fury Road, maybe then he'll be offered some high profile movies to score.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

He's still working, but on projects that are less high profile than he used to write for.

Why?  Nobody knows

Arnold was always big into pop music collaborations and probably just enjoys working/hanging out with other musical artists over anything offered to him by the increasingly hard work Hollywood machine. 

Under Siege - Die Hard On A Boat, with Seagal in his pre-dickhead days. Nicely deranged villain turn from Tommy Lee Jones, and Gary Busey and Colm Meaney are also amongst the supporting cast. Oh, and Baywatch's Erika Eleniak sportingly gets her tits out.

Never really cared for that one, although I haven't seen it in years. It's mainly known for its Special Visual Effects by Industrial Light & Magic, which were featured in the Horror Makeup Show at Universal Studios and also in Casper.

517px-Carrigan_%26_Dibs_with_Father_Guido_Sarducci.jpg

Some of the special efforts were pulled off more effectively than others; It wasn't a consistent level of quality throughout the film.

The hole in Goldie Hawn's stomache was basically perfect throughout, and Zemeckis does clever things like having her sit down on a couch that a spear was just through at so it sticks out through the hole.

But a lot of Meryl Streep's effects for everything that happens to her neck were clunky. Sometimes its just prosthetics and clever camera angles but sometimes there's CGI involved that looks it (too smooth and rubbery)

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I figured someone here would have something to say about Death Becomes Her.  I guess not

I've long been meaning to watch it again, but the only time I've really seen it was some 25 years ago in a German dub on TV, and the only thing I remember is the stomach hole.

That and Meryl Streep's twisty neck was about all I remembered too!

Almost everything I revisit from my childhood I get a whole new opinion of when re-viewing them now in my adulthood.  It's cool I guess

A warning?  What are you referring to?

Nope, haven't seen Eiger Sanction yet.  Haven't had time, too many good 2020/2021 movies to see!

47 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I presume that you've not watched DEATH BECOMES HER, recently?

We watched it two Fridays ago

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20559-what-is-the-last-film-you-watched-older-films/&do=findComment&comment=1792402

Oh, you're quoting the film.  I remember that line now, Streep says it to Rosselini.  That was a funny line, and Streep's delivery of it was great.

sOvbVGYuJA8TFl4cMpbmZbez1St.jpg

A violent post-apocalyptic B movie but somehow I watched all of it. The best way to describe it is that The Domestics is a zombie movie without zombies. Perhaps a new upcoming genre? Only time will tell. The audience didn't like it but the critics had good fun with it. 4,5/10

DOM_03494-4.jpg

At least the guy seems Bespin approved.

Something I seem to remember from that is a guy being killed by a explosive booby-trapped cup and saucer. When his body is being carried from the room, you can see that there's not a mark on him ... no burns, no blood, nothin'.  

Nightbreed ... ehhh, Clive Barker thing that starts out horror-ish, then adds fantasy and by the end has thrown in some Indy-esque stuff (has some mostly misjudged humour in there, too). It was OK, most interesting things about it were probably David Cronenberg acting in it and a Danny Elfman score heavy on the chorals. 

Nope, that's some other movie with the same title.

The Disaster Artist is a film about the making of this 2003 movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room

it was released in 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disaster_Artist_(film)

I didn't like that movie nearly as much as Blue Ruin or I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

I am trying  to fined a film called Licensed to Kill. Not the Bond film License to Kill. Licensed is a documentary about a murderer who killed a friend of mine in 1993. He was a young gay man who happened to be the chosen victim of some rednecks who wanted to see a queer die. My friend Chris was stabbed to death in his own front yard literally across from the hospital. He bled out before help arrived. The prosecution decided to pass because the kilers were good boys and the victim a deviant. One of the killers is interviewed after committing another crime and discusses killing  Chris.  I wish I could express outrage but it isn't going to help. Its typical. 

So true story bra, btw the murder victim was a huge JW fan and he and I were enjoying Jurassic Park around the time of his murder. 

On 3/9/2021 at 6:07 AM, bruce marshall said:

I think Gloin is the new Thor!😊

Cool, though I hope that doesn't mean I'm also the new Zoom host...

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Blue Ruin

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Green Room

After those two, I was gutted that Saulnier didn't take the opportunity to call his next film Red Rum.

42 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I am trying  to fined a film called Licensed to Kill.

I think this is it on Vimeo, but not for free.