What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I still haven't even seen Hold The Dark, despite utterly loving Blue Ruin enough I give Green Room a total pass.  I think I'm afraid of being disappointed again!

Screen-Shot-2021-03-10-at-11-13-47-PM.pn

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

A colourful collage that draws parallels between Mishima's life and his work, blurring fact and fiction in imaginative ways. Every now and then, it shows its age, but it's an admirable portrait of a flawed figure. Glass score becomes a heavy crutch to move things along (his older scores were often overused in the films they served) but is still excellent.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:48 PM, filmmusic said:

STARGATE (1994)

Hadn't seen this for over 15 years.

Entertaining enough and with a very good score.

What happened to David Arnold? (rhetorical question)

I watched this last night. It has also been about 15 years since the last (only) time I saw it. Cool premise, ambitious vision, and never misses the mark aesthetically, which is pretty amazing.

My wife had purchased the blu-ray, rightly assuming I wouldn’t mind!

The practical effects are great too.  Some of the CGI is good from what I recall, and some of the CGI is really primitive, like the de-helmeting

Stargate by LeFurieuxRoidesmers on DeviantArt

41 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I always got Stargate & The Fifth Element mixed up. Don't they both have pyramids? Which is the one with the fat aliens in armour who waddle?

Stargate the one with Kurt Russel and James Spader about people on modern day earth finding a passageway that leads a team to another planet that looks similar to our Egypt, because as the story unfolds it is revealed that pyramids are actually landing platforms for spaceships and the bad guy aliens had been to Earth in our past and had them built for that

The Fifth Element is the one with Bruce Willis and Mila Jovovich and is set in a future NYC, but does have a prologue set in the 1930s Egypt where big aliens do indeed waddle in.  Eventually the characters leave earth too, but there is no more Egypt stuff after the prologue scene

One of my friends' wive dressed up as Leeloo, in that same outfit, for Halloween one year, and she pulled it off

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's cool, but what about the score? Discuss.

It's one of my favorite scores of all time

58 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's cool, but what about the score? Discuss.

The score is great. Truly. I love it.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's one of my favorite scores of all time

I agree with Jay  one million percent. It's one of mine, as well.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

...she pulled it off

I hope your wife didn't find out? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The score is great. Truly. I love it.

I loved it immediately in 1997 and I still love it today.

I'd love a complete album release!

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I hope your wife didn't find out? :lol:

Ha!

A United Kingdom. 

All the actors were great. This was also my first Tom Felton movie in which he didn’t play Draco Malfoy, but I got used to that pretty quickly. The movie’s only weakness is that it spends no time at all on the two protagonists getting to know each other. 20 extra minutes would have been very welcome. Indeed, I was almost going to turn it off because the marriage happened so early in the film, which made it come across as very unrealistic. I’m still sickened by the whole subject matter too. And to think there are still bigots (at the top of society) who think skin colour is of any importance at all. Despicable. Especially Naledi’s point of view was a real eye-opener.

And this was my first Patrick Doyle score in a year as well. I’ve either become tired of his style or I haven’t and he just wrote a bland and uninspiring score. Yes, two cues stood out, but it was too little too late.

The Fifth Element plays like a failed circa 1997's idea of an edgy big budget BBC pilot reboot of Doctor Who starring Bruce Willis as a regular cab driver who doesn't yet realise he's a Time Lord until he becomes paired up with quirky assistant Milla "The Chosen One™" Jovovich and the ensuing adventure revealing an interwoven destiny involving something about alien puppets and Chris Rock.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Which bit?

That scene where the alien “takes off” his human disguise is a bit rough. But it’s such a short moment it doesn’t really matter. The police chase is still mesmerizing to me. 

Watching Quantum of Solace in 4K UHD

20210312_185437.jpg

It's one of my favorite 007 movies but everyone seems to hate it. Daniel Craig just became 007 and yet he looks like an old fart already.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That scene where the alien “takes off” his human disguise is a bit rough. But it’s such a short moment it doesn’t really matter. The police chase is still mesmerizing to me. 

5 Reasons why “The Fifth Element” (1997) is still a great goofy movie.

Yea, not the best, but very quick

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

love THE FIFTH ELEMENT. Always have, and always will. It's a strange, beautiful, unique film.

Then you guys really need to check out Besson's Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets. I think you'll be moved to tears, for that movie gives you the opportunity to go back to that same Jean-Claude Mézières universe. You'll love it!

Personally I really couldn't stand the second half of The Fifth Element and I also couldn't make it through Valerian

57 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Let me get this straight, Alex. You're recommending JWfaners to watch a film that you don't like, and have only seen half of?

That's akin to offering someone a half-eaten meal, because you don't like the veg.

Yes, I would offer the veg to the ones I know are vegetarians. 

53 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

FIFTH ELEMENT did start off well.

Then, that insufferable character , whose name escapes me, ruined it ( along with the plot)

It's that bloody second half! I would rather watch an episode of The Love Boat, which isn't all that different, but at least it wouldn't feature:

1*QdR0RmQ71QbZB1NJlkbv-g.jpeg

Executive decision. Yeah,, uh, no. I wanted something light-hearted and stupid after A United Kingdom, but even I have my limits. Also, isn’t this a Goldsmith score everyone wants expanded? Why? I didn’t hear anything noteworthy.

My easy-to-follow guide to telling The Fifth Element and Stargate apart - the first is the one where you get a brief look at Milla Jovovich's 'goodies' and Chris Fucker ... sorry, Tucker's character makes you want to put your foot through the screen and the latter is the one with TV spin-offs and the chick who turned out to be a dude from The Crying Game.    

My Name Is Bruce and Bubba Ho-Tep - double-bill with Bruce 'Evil Dead' Campbell, the 'king of the Bs'. Ideally daftly escapist Saturday night fare.

WAR HORSE.

Is it me, or is this film major boring shit?

It seems as if it was designed to do two things: 1/ to show off Devon (which it did), and 2/ to make Jeremy Irvine a star (which it didn't - oh, bugger!).

It looks pretty, and all that, but it just doesn't make me care about anybody, including the horse. The score (and I know that I'm going to get massacred, for this) is forgettable, and, largely on the twee side, with lots of English-isms, but rarely finding its own voice. I know that it's been trumpeted as a major film in Spielberg's canon, but, really, it's just another late-flowering technical exercise.

My opinion of this film has not changed, in nine years: :down: