What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

King Of Thieves ... true-story crime caper about the Hatton Garden robbery with quite the cast (Michael Caine, Jim Broadbent, Tom Courtenay, Ray Winstone, Paul Whitehouse, Michael Gambon and Francesca Annis). Amusing, but not without its darker moments (Broadbent is genuinely menacing at times, for example).

58 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

King Of Thieves ... true-story crime caper about the Hatton Garden robbery with quite the cast (Michael Caine, Jim Broadbent, Tom Courtenay, Ray Winstone, Paul Whitehouse, Michael Gambon and Francesca Annis). Amusing, but not without its darker moments (Broadbent is genuinely menacing at times, for example).

Yeah, he's a bastard in that.

It's one of several films made about the event. None of them are particularly good. This one is watchable at least. Once.

Last up on our black & white triple feature weekend was....

Robert Eggers: Five influences that shaped The Lighthouse | BFI

The Lighthouse

Oooh boy, this gets a big meh from me.  The cinematography is stunning - so many brilliantly framed shots, amazing use of lighting and transitions - the whole kit and kaboodle.  That part is great.  Everything else just did not work for me

The plot is basically just: 2 guys show up at a remote lighthouse in the late 1800s to work it for 4 weeks, and go crazy.  So much kooky stuff happens (mermaid and octopus hallucinations, one eyed seagulls, bloody cisterns, getting drunk off lantern oil and honey, lies and contradicting stories, and on and on) but it never all comes together and the end in any satisfying way.  It's just a bunch of randomness.  

No thanks

It's free on Amazon Prime

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

The plot is basically just: 2 guys show up at a remote lighthouse in the late 1800s to work it for 4 weeks, and go crazy.  So much kooky stuff happens (mermaid and octopus hallucinations, one eyed seagulls, bloody cisterns, getting drunk off lantern oil and honey, lies and contradicting stories, and on and on) but it never all comes together and the end in any satisfying way.  It's just a bunch of randomness.  

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you, Jay, but maybe the story isn't so important. After all, it's a psychological thriller. 

I wasn't that thrilled and it didn't make me think about psychology or the fragility of the human mind much at all.

It was actually fine in the first half, as they were setting everything up and the random weirdness could still be explained in some way later, but then the second half they most just get drunk and stumble around until the ending.  We were bored.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I wasn't that thrilled and it didn't make me think about psychology or the fragility of the human mind much at all.

It was actually fine in the first half, as they were setting everything up and the random weirdness could still be explained in some way later, but then the second half they most just get drunk and stumble around until the ending.  We were bored.

It’s steeped in Greek mythology, specifically the stories of Prometheus and Proteus. 

14 hours ago, AC1 said:

That's how they started the project but later it went its own way. 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

That's not correct.  It began as an attempt to adapt an Edgar Allan Poe story, but it ended up not being that (and just kept the title)

So why is what I said not correct? 

Anyone? (doesn't have to be Jay)

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Because you said it was adapted from a Ray Bradbury story. 

Strange, I really thought he said Poe. Hmmm ...

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

So why is what I said not correct? 

Anyone? (doesn't have to be Jay)

Because Bruce asked about Ray Bradbury, not Edgar Allen Poe. 

Is this a new form of Cremeritis? 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is this a new form of Cremeritis? 

I'm afraid so. It's a form of projectionitis. I see what I want to see.

Midnight Run

Pretty funny! It has a great script, fine directing and some great acting from De Niro and Charles Grodin. Elfman's rock score works fine in the movie.

Manchester by the sea. That was pretty good. I just wished there would have been more flashbacks with Patrick’s mother. All the actors were great and Michelle Williams was fantastic.

That is the second time in a month I’ve watched a movie with a score cue that exclusively contains female choir and I like it. The use of classical music was deeply moving too.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Manchester by the sea. That was pretty good. I just wished there would have been more flashbacks with Patrick’s mother. All the actors were great and Michelle Williams was fantastic.

Yes, good movie, good acting, but somehow it's not something I will watch again, I think. There are only two scenes that stuck in my mind. The very first scene with his kid on a boat. That acting was extremely natural. In fact, it probably was real.  And much later in the movie when Affleck accidentally meets his ex again on the street.