What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

One can never watch it enough!

27 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Watching the first two films of the original Star Wars Trilogy again!!!

Yippee#😁

Operation Kid Brother - well, this was a ... thing that happened. One of the odder results of 'Bondmania', for sure. No wonder Sean lost it with Lois Maxwell when he heard she was going to be in it.

Life Of Brian - annual Easter rewatch. Still a hoot.

Machete - bullets, blood and boobies as the awesome Danny Trejo embarks on a 'Mexploitation' roaring rampage of revenge.

Random nostalgic rant. Harry Potter 4, re-watch. Best movie of the franchise. One of the best film scores ever written. Finale is more emotional than anything Yates cranked out subsequently. Oh, the childhood memories...

I've been rewatching the original Universal Monster movies whenever I can. This weekend I knocked out Dracula and Frankenstein. All of these classic movies are better than all other versions. It's not just that they're rather perfectly made, have the most iconic and clearly best versions of these characters there ever will be, 70 minute or so absolutely glorious running time, but the fact that they're so old and made as early as the 30s (or 20s in the case of Phantom of the Opera) makes them cooler somehow. The disastrous Dark Universe or whatever the hell Universal recently attempted was a real monster. All you really need are the original movies, although some fun remakes and spinoffs have been made.

11 hours ago, LSH said:

ah, the third one is the best. Best visuals, best score.

Nope.

For all its camera inventiveness, Azkaban doesn't have the feels of The Order of the Phoenix.

An American Werewolf In London - this comedy-horror classic is now a mind-boggling 40 years old. The transformation and make-up effects were groundbreaking back then, and mostly hold up pretty well today.

The likes of British 'stalwarts' like Brian Glover, John Woodvine, David Schofield and Alan Ford (and an early film appearance by Rik Mayall) plus the utterly gorgeous Jenny Agutter all add to the fun. Griffin Dunne's reappearing dead character (in a worse state of decomposition each time) is a hoot.

The film features performances by Christian Bale as United States Vice President Dick Cheney, Sam Rockwell as United States President George W. Bush, and Steve Carell as United States Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

10 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

The film features performances by Christian Bale as United States Vice President Dick Cheney, Sam Rockwell as United States President George W. Bush, and Steve Carell as United States Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

6 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

It also features scenes depicting the internal operations of the United States government, as well as electoral campaigns, and discussions on foreign and domestic policy.

4 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

It's about Dick Cheney.

I know I've seen it. I absolutely love Adam McKay's two last movies and also like the previous ones too but a bit less.

The Big Short is one of my favorite movies of the 2010s.  It's super well done and I learned a lot - and it's rewatchable.  I didn't think it would be, but it plays on Pluto all the time, and everytime I settle on it I end up leaving it running for awhile if not all the way to the end.  Such a cool and unique flick

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Tombstoneposter.jpeg

Well, I don't see how this got 7.8 at imdb, but it was good nonetheless. Just not that good.

The film has a cult following,  mainly because of Kilmers DOC HOLLIDAY.

Notting Hill. 

I was launched way too quickly into the story. I mean, I know what is was going to be about, but I don’t want to be spoon-fed the premise in the first ten seconds. Then Hugh Grant’s character, who was already vaguely annoying, started narrating. I’m guessing his pointless lines were meant for me, but I’d have preferred nothing at all and just finding out about him and his life through the course of the story.

The opening song is very nice, way nicer than my mother’s countless mocking impressions of it. Wait, what? They kiss after 15 minutes already? Right, Shutter Island it is.

This was a re-watch. I absolutely wanted to see this one again because I wanted to experience it knowing what it was really about. Or rather, I still remembered the ending (and “I’m a Màrshall!’, just didn’t remember how we got there. All the actors are great, and most especially Robin Bartlett and DiCaprio in the flashback. Had no idea Ben Kingsley played the doctor either. It’s really hard to say anything else about it, but I do think a third viewing might be in order one day. And I’ll read some alternative theories because some things continue not to make sense: why are the doctors so unhelpful, why did they suddenly decide to ‘find’ Rachel, were the patients he interviewed real patients, and… oh my God, I just realised what really happened at the end!

The music is mostly very good too, although I really didn’t like the repeated use of the first piece. It loses its gravitas after three or four times, but I’ll be listening to that Mahler string quartet soon.