What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Netflix's algorithm is suggesting for me some cult action/horror movies from the 80s for the last few days. So I did watch some of them:

-The great buddy comedy Midnight Run, which was tons of fun;

-The okay Red Heat, starring Arnold as a Soviet cop;

-John Carpenter's They Live, which has a great premise, but doesn't explore all of its potential.

Groundhog Day. That was pretty good! Didn’t always like Andie MacDowell, but other than that, I had a great time. What more can one want these days?

Although the opening song was too loud, the music and score were really good too. Is there anything George Fenton can’t compose?

Slaughterhouse Rulez - reasonably amusing comedy-horror in which fracking close to an English public school causes a sinkhole from which aggressive creatures emerge. With Finn Cole, Asa Butterfield, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Michael Sheen and Margot Robbie. Directed and co-written by Crispian 'Kula Shaker' Mills.

Fatal Attraction - in which Michael Douglas fails to keep it in his pants and lives to regret it (didn't he see Play Misty For Me, lol?). Influential (amongst other things, it's where 'bunny boiler' came from!) and enjoyably melodramatic thriller, flashily directed by Adrian Lyne.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

cV8xyj2.gif

4 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Damn that's scary. Are you sure this movie isn't a horror one?

I was thinking of another genre…

I'm glad I found out in time just what a partnership with a bunch of wankers like you would have been. A sleeping partner is one thing, but you're in a fucking coma.

A genuine, bona fide, paid-up, first class Premiere League classic.

3 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Helen Mirren farrrrrk I wanna lick every inch of her 

Get in line, dude!

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Georges Delerue, notably.

I guess. It's a film written by a man, about the death of his sister, and all we've got is a sometimes deaf Tom Skerrit, a dope of a husband who's soon to be a widower (oops! Sorry. Spoilers ;)), and who gets about ten seconds of screen time, and Dolly Parton's man who does goodness knows what all. Men aren't so much imasculated, as invisible.

Ivanhoe (1952)

It’s not a bad film, a decent swashbuckler with a fantastic Miklos Rozsa score and a stunningly hot Elizabeth Taylor as Rebecca. Seriously, Taylor is distractingly beautiful compared to the dowdy looking Joan Fontaine as Rowena. The score, Taylor and the technicolor cinematography do a lot of the major lifting .

Joan was perhaps a bit mumsy compared to Liz's unapologetic sultriness. Both the De Havilands had a matronly squarishness about them that made them both a bit outdated by the newly developing edginess of the 1950s.

Free Solo (2019)

GAC_Free%20Solo.jpg

Documentary about a climber who decides to do the impossible: To climb the El Capitan (3000 feet/900 meter) without robes. Sick!

22 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Helen Mirren farrrrrk I wanna lick every inch of her 

People who haven't seen Mirren's films from the 80s really don't know quite how beguiling she had been.

Of course she's one of the actresses of her time, but damn!