What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

17 hours ago, Chen G. said:

People who haven't seen Mirren's films from the 80s really don't know quite how beguiling she had been.

Of course she's one of the actresses of her time, but damn!

Excalibur! You're talking about Excalibur!

16 hours ago, AC1 said:

Not exclusively. I've seen her in quite a few films from around this time.

Always electrifying, of course.

The Empty Man. A creepy thriller about a made up urban legend, but also not your average run-of-the-mill teeny horror movie as it was probably very awkwardly marketed to be. Film is longer than I'd have preferred, but it turns out there's a whole mythology in there which the writer director takes great care in layering everything in, interwoven as it is with the central conspiracy of the main plot. It's all surprisingly quite epic, and curious as hell throughout. Performances are really strong, especially from the main chap playing the investigative ex cop, his slipping sanity and the impulsive reactive dialogue with it was really believable and well done. We all think and talk this way to ourselves when weird shit happens to us, and that detailing adds nice authenticity to the characterisation on show. It's all utter hokum, but that never stopped David Lynch's brand of bizarro sci-fi from tapping into our ungraspable fears, and it doesn't fail here either. I really liked this, there was something slightly Lovecraftian about it. Box office failure and later cult favourite written all over the thing. 

The Daniel Day Lewis knockoff character was far less irritating than Day Lewis himself. Long drag of a movie but decent. Really nails the feel of an arduous journey. 

Forum: 48 Hrs. / The Dissolve

48 Hrs

OOoh boy, that was a rough one.  A decent enough premise and cast, kind of shoddily executed.  It really felt like they were re-writing it as they want, as its very uneven; Sometimes it seems like everything is firing on all cylinders and the movie has the great pacing and forward momentum to it, sometimes it was just slow and clunky and indulgent in just letting scenes go on like they hoped something good would eventually come out of it.  It was amusing seeing Dexter's dad as the bad guy though.

I guess the biggest problem is that it's just not funny enough.  In generally I really like the action comedy genre, but you gotta balance both right.  Beverly Hills Cop is just a way better variation of a lot of the ideas here.  Maybe they got it right for the sequel?

It's free on Amazon Prime

Oh, and this movie is sooo early 80s, a great blend of the dying end of 70s fashion and very beginning of 80s fashion.

Like, wtf is up with this cableknit sweater vest!?

James Remar - 48hrs.jpg - Cast - The Miami Vice Community

It's kind of interesting that Murphy doesn't even show up until maybe 20 minutes in.  The first 20 minutes is just a straight up serious cop movie.  Once he shows up you kind of sit up in your chair and go aha, now things will get interesting.... and then it really only does in fits and spurts

Beverly Hills Cop is better because Murphy isn't the only funny character; There's tons of great comedic work put in by the supporting cast throughout.

Here it's like they interjected a comedian into an otherwise serious story

On 4/13/2021 at 10:39 PM, AC1 said:

CALIGULA!

On 4/14/2021 at 3:17 PM, Chen G. said:

Not exclusively. I've seen her in quite a few films from around this time.

Always electrifying, of course.

AGE OF CONSENT

( check out those hairy legs!😳)

The Fate of the Furious

The seventh entry was such a teenage wankmare, I was reluctant to watch this one, but it's actually a proper action film this time like 5 and 6. But does anyone else remember when these flicks were just little crime thrillers about street racing? Now Dom and co are stealing EMPs for spy agencies, stopping World War 3 and fighting Bond villains. And rumour has it 9 will be in space? Sheesh

6 hours ago, The Big Man said:

And rumour has it 9 will be in space? Sheesh

The trailer for 9 is over in the Upcoming Films thread

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've never seen a single Fast & Furious movie.  The first few came out while I was in high school but they were clearly jock movies at the time, not aimed at us nerdy, academic types.

See, back then, the target demographic was really narrow – the sorts you described. But ever since the fourth film, they've become these quasi-Mission: Impossible type adventures, obviously done to broaden the audience appeal.

We had a lot of fun watching Hobbes and Shaw.   Crazy action set pieces broken up with Johnson & Statham ragging on each other in increasingly comedic ways, with Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Hart showing up a few times to bring in even more funny

No idea if the main series is as comedic or not, but I'm guessing not

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

No idea if the main series is as comedic or not, but I'm guessing not

Aside from moments in 5 onwards, it's fairly straight-faced. In fact, the first one is frustratingly so, which could have used a few corny one-liners to lighten the mood a bit.

They filmed part of the first Fast and Furious movie, or the second maybe, in the town I was living in at the time.  Closed down one of the main streets.   

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

The last car movie I watched was Smokey and the Bandit. 

It's probably the last best car movie.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

For its time. The landscape has shifted dramatically since the film was made.

Copy, that.

Downsizing. 

Pretty fun. I definitely liked the first half better and am not sure whether I like what happened next, but was sufficiently intrigued to keep watching, even though that Vietnamese girl was really annoying. I also had some trouble liking Christoph Waltz at first, but he turned out to be great, as usual.

Rolfe Kent’s score is as good as ever too. I even heard some Mozart influence in the first cue, but that might be because I’m currently working my way through his works. Really liked the choral contributions and all the source music as well, but I am wondering how many times I’m going to have to hear ‘Heaven, I’m in heaven’ in all the other movies I’m hoping to watch in my lifetime, downsized or not.

A very strange movie, the poster, trailer and all marketing made you think it was all about the whole shrinking thing, but once that's all out of the way in the first 30-45 minutes it really goes in an unexpected direction

15 hours ago, Jay said:

A very strange movie, the poster, trailer and all marketing made you think it was all about the whole shrinking thing, but once that's all out of the way in the first 30-45 minutes it really goes in an unexpected direction

Hmm, I should check it out then. 

Ever since Election I've found all Alexander Payne movies worth watching (though I haven't caught up with Nebraska yet).  I really need to see Citizen Ruth

American Hustle was again a movie that proved at least to me that Christian Bale is kind of overrated as an actor. 

Why should that guy play in comedies? He is not funny at all. Even though they spent (probably because of that) some effort in this film to make him look ridiculous.

The last time before I felt that way was watching The Dark Knight where really everybody was steeling him the show. Even Val Kilmer had more charisma as Bruce Wayne.

Bale was good as a kid in Empire of the Sun and everyone says that in The Machinist he was great. Might be. But I heaven't seen that one.

He was very ok in Equilibrium where he was supposed to play a guy who is supposed to show no emotion at all.

Apart from that he usually has a had for playing in good movies. So, I rather respect him for his taste in films than for his acting.

I think he's got good range.  He was good in American Psycho and The Big Short

Still need to see The Machinist

The People Under The Stairs

A Wes Craven horror film from the early 90s.  The movie never really figured out its tone.  Now I finally get the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror gag with Bart having a brother that lived in the wall.