What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Went on a little journey catching up on some movies I've never seen and rewatching some that I've only seen once and/or a long time ago.

The Long Goodbye - Deliciously bitingly cynical. Kinda loved it. The theme's a real damn earworm, the Quartet is on the way.
JFK - Shut it off after 10 minutes.
Seven Years in Tibet - Perfectly alright, looks very nice occasionally. Too bad it uses its score so badly. Certain political parts of the narrative feel very topical and it's fun to realise that today's Dalai Lama is still the one depicted here as a kid (and not just because of reincarnation ;)).
The Patriot - Nice dumb predictable action flick. I didn't remember just how many cliche discussions/character moments happen and how quickly it always fades to the next cliche scene leaving no room to breathe but it's a fun watchable kind.
Catch Me If You Can - Fun joyride. Could have gone a little deeper into the identity crisis, like when he lays it out to Amy Adams' dad or lies to his own father.
The Terminal - Nice enough, but maybe a bit too long, repetitive and meandering for the plotless character-focused piece that it is.
Memoirs of a Geisha - An alright enough story and characters to support and give ample space to the incredible music and visuals. Not disappointed! OK, maybe a little bit that the ending turns into melodrama after it suggests melancholy commentary on an old world of seeming dignity and order going away and losing its value.
The Book Thief - I enjoyed it just fine. The Wiki has quotes about "fresher perspective on the war" and its focus on the "consistent thread of humanity", and I think I really latched onto that, it kind of avoids cliches I expected to come by mostly just featuring nice (enough) people trying to be nice at a time when the environment is anything but. The mood in general reminded me of books I was reading around the time when the book came out. Also looks very nice.
The BFG - I liked it! Nice, fun adventure, some imaginative scenes, pretty good CG/Mocap. JW really had a field day with it!
The Post - s'alright. Nothing groundbreaking but well done.

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:
  9 hours ago, Holko said:

JFK - Shut it off after 10 minutes.

:o:(

Sometimes a movie can just sell me on what it is and how it chose to present itself quickly, like Long Goodbye, Book Thief, BFG in this batch. JFK was on the other end, put me off immediately with its brand of unsubtlety. It was at the line and Costner's specific delivery of  "god I'm ashamed of being an american today" that I decided I probably can't take 3+ hours of this thing.

11 hours ago, Holko said:

The Book Thief - I enjoyed it just fine. The Wiki has quotes about "fresher perspective on the war" and its focus on the "consistent thread of humanity", and I think I really latched onto that, it kind of avoids cliches I expected to come by mostly just featuring nice (enough) people trying to be nice at a time when the environment is anything but. The mood in general reminded me of books I was reading around the time when the book came out. Also looks very nice.

The Post - s'alright. Nothing groundbreaking but well done.

Shut both off after 10 minutes!

(and I never watched The BFG because I avoid Spielberg's kids movies like the plague)

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

One of Sir Rog's best Bonds. 

It's my favorite Bond movie!

Which I then always have to quickly follow up with that I've never bought into the weird narrative about it being Moore's "serious" turn.  It may not be as silly as Moonraker, but it's plenty silly and positively a comedy compared to the Craig movies.  For me it's just a great balance of everything I love about Bond, and Conti's score is a blast.

Plus, I don't know if it's meant to be hilarious when the Countess gets run over on the beach, but I laugh either way! :lol:

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I can't stand the kids' squealing in that movie.

And yet, you absolutely love the squealing in ...

temple-of-doom-kate-capshaw.jpg

21 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Hulo is showing his lack of taste!

17 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Taste?

Hulko?!

He liked BFG!

All opinions are welcome on JWFan. 

If someone likes a movie that you don't, or doesn't like a movie that you do, that's completely fine, and you are welcome to share your different opinion from theirs about the movie

But there's no reason to attack the poster who has that opinion, in fact it's the first rule of the forums:

On 5/10/2011 at 9:20 PM, Jay said:

01 - Personal attacks will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

Dissenting opinions are welcome, insults are not.

Here's an example of an acceptable way to respond to an opinion on a film:

13 hours ago, AC1 said:

Shut both off after 10 minutes!

(and I never watched The BFG because I avoid Spielberg's kids movies like the plague)

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Does that mean that you don't like ET.?

Alex is Peter Banning. 

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

All opinions are welcome on JWFan.  If someone likes a movie that you don't, or doesn't like a movie that you do, that's completely fine, and you are welcome to share your different opinion from theirs about the movie.  But there's no reason to attack the poster who has that opinion

This again? People are entitled to talk and tell us about what they like, but I also reserve the right to think someone has bad taste. That isn't an insult, to express that; it's a point of view. Like the way you say you like a lot of Giacchino soundtracks, well then in my view your taste in film music is lacking and frankly leaves something to be desired. That isn't intended as an insult but it just means I'll never be able to take someone with such tastes completely seriously, from a trusted critique POV. I can't trust a person who raves about unrefined and IMO workmanlike output. Blunt honesty is not the same as personal abuse. 

Moaners and the unamused can also be a pain in the arse, but at least whenever they say they actually enjoyed something it stands out, it draws the attention... they aren't just another bland and vanilla voice here, like Holko's. 

On 4/18/2021 at 9:49 AM, Jay said:

Ever since Election I've found all Alexander Payne movies worth watching (though I haven't caught up with Nebraska yet).  I really need to see Citizen Ruth

I like his movies well enough but I’ve never really adored any of them. 

On 4/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, Jay said:

I think he's got good range.  He was good in American Psycho and The Big Short

Still need to see The Machinist

The Machinist is a superb thriller. Definitely recommend it. 

54 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Well perhaps except those who hates John Williams but those guys are beyond redemption anyway ;)

I got called all sorts of names for being "satisfied" with the current INDY and SW expansions

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I got called all sorts of names for being "satisfied" with the current INDY and SW expansions

Being satisfied of the current expansions is not the same thing than hating JW

Anyway if you satisfy with the current expansions well good for you, that's an expectation in less

2 hours ago, Jay said:

All opinions are welcome on JWFan.  If someone likes a movie that you don't, or doesn't like a movie that you do, that's completely fine, and you are welcome to share your different opinion from theirs about the movie.  But there's no reason to attack the poster who has that opinion, in fact it's the first rule of the forums

Bruce doesn't care about being polite or following the rules, he just loves to troll. Maybe he has a shitty life and the only joy he has is to troll people at a film music forum.

u-g-P96FFH0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

Certainly not the first, but one of the best 'mission' movies. The epic narrative soars THE GUNS OF NAVARONE into a colorful adventure (Marvel is the sorry modern supplant). There is a colorful bunch of heroes from which everyone can choose their favorite, with some of the worst Nazis that ever graced the screen, two beautiful women (Irene Papas and Gia Scala), extremely attractive sets and the highly fateful mission (destroying the guns). Blowing things up, sending villains to hell by the dozen and saving the day just have lost their luster today, but the J. Lee Thompson film has lost almost none of its charm in over 50 years.

Which brings me to an even more ideologically outrageous (and scruffy) war-horse I used to watch once a year back when I was a wee lad, which is 

MV5BMzAyNDUwYzUtN2NlMC00ODliLWExMjgtMGMz

At the time of the Allied invasion of Normandy, an American raid consisting of Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas and Donald Sutherland privately captures 14,000 gold bars from a bank behind the German lines. It's not quite M.A.S.H. but already pretty spaced out. It's hippies vs. Nazis, and the offhand, blasé cynicism off the whole thing makes it a perfect case for the virtuecrats to wring their hands in agony (these filmmakers must be held accountable! War is hell!!!) but i mean...tank battles, land mines, treasure hunts, Nazis, what's not to love? (the scene when a general - the great Carrol O'Connor - mistakes radio messages of the 'heroes' for an heroic military advance and blusters himself into a raving patriotic madness is a particular highlight).

Both ran recently on ARTE (!) and i was hooked again, like back in the 80's. Boy will be boys, I guess.

I don't contribute?

Really?

Who constantly trashes.every modern score and people who like them?

Everytime Thor or myself express appreciation for something like JOKER we get ridiculed.

You are really something, Jay.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Bruce doesn't care about being polite or following the rules, he just loves to troll. Maybe he has a shitty life and the only joy he has is to troll people at a film music forum.

He's very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, the geeks, sluts, bloods, watseoids, dweebeies, dickheads; they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude :)

You obviously never read my posts.

Just the whining complainers

" you're a troll"

The all-purpose response for illitetates

Jays idea of a " contribution is

" it's shite"

" sucks"

" gives me gas"

" peeyo"

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

I don't contribute?

Really?

Who constantly trashes.every modern score and people who like them?

There is nothing in the rules of this forum that says you are not allowed to trash modern film scores.  All opinions on film music are welcome here.

The are rules against insulting the people who like them (or anything else), which is what we're talking about. 

Opinions are welcome here, insults are not. 

And no, of course you're not the only person who who has done this - nor even the only person I quoted at the start of this conversation.

Everytime Thor or myself express appreciation for something like JOKER we get ridiculed.

There is nothing wrong with liking the score to Joker.  I'm glad you enjoy it.  If someone insults you for liking the score, that is against the rules.  If someone simply disagrees with you and says they themselves don't like the score - or mentions that they feel it doesn't deserve praise or awards or whatever - that is also fine, and not against the rules. 

Disagreements are welcome here, insults are not. 

You are really something, Jay.

Thanks!

If you fell they are beyond you to follow, then you are welcome to find a different forum online to spend your free time in.

Everybody else can keep up.

Your " interpr

etation" of rules , Jay.

You have no consistency. We have to guess .

You interpret teasing as " insults".

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No, but you can't decipher them if you're an "illitetate" :lol:

I'll let you beat that 'joke' into the ground for as long as you like!

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

You interpret teasing as " insults".

Teasing is something people who already know and like each other - friends - do to each other.

You can't just show up to a an established forum with its own feel and tone to it, and just "tease" its existing members, and assume that not only will they understand that you are "only teasing" and not directly insulting them, but that they even want to establish a friendly "teasing" atmosphere with you.  You gotta earn it - that's how human interaction works.

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

Are you drunk? You're making no sense, whatsoever.

Good.

I can't be ' banned' or making no sense.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Teasing is something two people who already know and like each other - friends - do to each other.

You can't just show up in a brand new forum and "tease" its existing members and assume they will understand that you are "only teasing", and welcome it.

I've been.here over a year , Jay.

You've repeated this mantra before.

I don't think Thor, Drax or other folks with a sense of humour take offense at friendly kidding.

It's what men do.

I take my share of ribbing.

Do I ever ' report' it?

Never.

You see what you want to see and nor always with clear eyes.

24 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Jays idea of a " contribution is

" it's shite"

" sucks"

" gives me gas"

" peeyo"

Nah, I think those are worthless posts that are a waste of my time to read, and the people who wrote them should spend more effort on making better posts - however, they don't violate the rules of the forum.  They are not insulting other members who like the films they describe this way, they are insulting the films.  

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Indeed, I agree with you

Possibly true, but this kind of post is literally what I just asked people not to make.  Aren't we better than him?

Still, I think I have had enough of his constant barrage of troll posts and the ban hammer will be swinging soon if he doesn't shape up and be more of a contributing member of the discussion here instead of the constant dissenter that insults everyone every chance he gets - and fills our browsers with the dopiest looking images I've ever seen someone post seriously

Your response here says it all.

Insults directed at.me are perfectly fine because I ' deserve ' it.