What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

When my kid was still a kid, his favorite toys were Star Wars action figures, but he's grown out of that many moons ago. So you guys are saying you never stopped playing with action figures? And do you mimic the noises of the spaceships too? Interesting! :blink:

52 minutes ago, AC1 said:

When my kid was still a kid, his favorite toys were Star Wars action figures, but he's grown out of that many moons ago. So you guys are saying you never stopped playing with action figures? And do you mimic the noises of the spaceships too? Interesting! :blink:

Knock on my door! Knock next time!! ...did you see anything??!

55 minutes ago, AC1 said:

You're not really grown up before you dare being childish again.

43 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're not really grown up before you dare being childish again.

To be childish is a sign that you're not a child? :o

On adult childishness ... well, the Fourth Doctor quote in my sig sums up my thoughts nicely. 

28 Days Later - animal rights activists inadvertently release a 'rage virus' (which drives those infected into murderous bloodlust) in their attempt to free chimps from a research lab, and it sweeps through the country. A small band of survivors hit the road in search of sanctuary and a cure.

19 years on, Danny Boyle and Alex Garland's take on the zombie genre still packs a visceral and gritty punch. With Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Brendan Gleeson and Christopher Eccleston.

12 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

Why do you have such a low opinion of yourself?

Dude, don't even go there ;)

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Came across and bought Amadeus. Wow. Absolutely excellent filmmaking.

Did it rock you?

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Mark Twain had something to say about staying youthful!😊

Didn't he die?

I am occasionally childish. I am constantly childlike.

On 4/25/2021 at 9:46 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a fucking brilliant score, currently residing at #5 on my all-time top 10 JW list.

This post made listen to it, and sometimes we do tend to take JW for granted. It had been a while since I had listened to the album, and it is indeed fantastic

Star Wars V - The Empire Strikes Back.png

PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never seen that one in 4K before well the transfer is absolutely stunning. It's impressive as it didn't aged on lot of scene. Especially the opening shot, it could have been make today that I wouldn't be shocked.

28 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I've never seen that one in 4K before well the transfer is absolutely stunning. It's impressive as it didn't aged on lot of scene. Especially the opening shot, it could have been make today that I wouldn't be shocked.

Star-Wars.jpg?resize=1280,720&ssl=1

11 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I've never seen that one in 4K before well the transfer is absolutely stunning.

I'm glad someone finally agrees that it looks simply unbelievable in 4K. That goes for A New Hope too, BTW. Nobody here has ever seen Star War like that, except for maybe me, Joe, Richard, or anyone else who is old enough to have seen it on the day the films were first released in theaters. I haven't checked Return Of The Jedi (I never cared about that movie so I didn't bother).

20 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Nobody here has ever seen Star War like that, except for maybe me, Joe, Richard, or anyone else who is old enough to have seen it on the day the films were first released in theaters. 

4k77?

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

They aren't even 4K now. I'm talking about how they look like they are just shot yesterday.

He is talking about the fanmade restoration taken from some film print or something.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

4k77?

Taking an answer print, scanning it and calling it 4K is a scam.

You can just as well take VHS, scan it at 8K and say you have an 8K version of a movie...

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Well, what did you expect from the producers of the Conjuring universe?

It's kind of a shame too...The first half The Conjuring is incredibly scary and well done, even if it's tropey. The use of practical effects are great. 

Almost walked out of the theater for the second one.

Same with the Insidious films/universe.  First half of the the first film is so unnerving in my opinion.  Gets a little cheesy at the end.

Dear Frankie.

The first half was quite touching and Emily Mortimer is really versatile, but then it had to degenerate into corny, terribly predictable romantic crap and sentimental lines. The ending is rather clumsy too and it’s all over way too quickly.

Some score cues, particularly the opening one, were amazing and one or two songs were great too. Oh, and there was a girl playing a fiddle! I want to go to an Irish pub again.

The core. 

This was another re-watch and I still remembered how two scientists were going to die, but was still surprised how moving Serge’s was. Also, Stanley Tucci was Christopher Plummer in my memory. Wonder what accent he’s using here. Serge and Stickley were occasionally annoying and the hacker all the time while some of the lines were definitely trailer material, but all the actors were great. Delroy Lindo sounded familiar too, even though I’ve never seen him in anything else. The dialogue at the end is corny and I know it’s all scientifically inaccurate, but I don’t care. It was fun.

The score is great and has some fantastic horn, trombone, guitar and choral passages. Why do we have to end with a song?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The score is great and has some fantastic horn, trombone, guitar and choral passages. Why do we have to end with a song?

The score is one of Young's best. I didn't see it for a long time, but @crocodile's frequent praises made me reevaluate it, and since then I've played it more than any other Young score.

Overlord - US troops parachute into occupied France in WW2 in order to take out a Nazi communications 'hub', but discover horrors that are much more than they'd bargained for.

Probably the closest we'll ever get to a movie version of the Wolfenstein video games, this pretty gory action-horror moves at a fair old lick and is solid entertainment.

On the 'why do we have to end with a song?', the hip-hop track that plays over part of Overlord's end credits was (for me) hugely unfitting and unwelcome. Was very glad when it ended.    

On 4/30/2021 at 4:41 PM, AC1 said:

Gave up after 15 minutes. A typical jump scare movie, cliché after cliché. 

Here's a better one (probably; I haven't seen The Curse of La Llorona and don't plan to):

MV5BNjE5NDM4OWEtOTEyMy00MmM0LTkxYzEtMDFh

La Llorona (Jayro Bustamante, 2019).