What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 3/26/2021 at 8:02 AM, filmmusic said:

Yeah, I see it's from this bluray:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly-Blu-ray/175359/

There's an upcoming 4K Kino bluray, in which they advertise a new color grading. We'll see how it looks.

As someone whose never seen this film, I'm considering picking this new 4K up, but I see it's only the theatrical version. Which version should I watch first, and which is considered superior? (question is for anyone who's a fan of the film)

By the way, here's the new color grading. (as you see the yellow tint has gone!)

All agree that it's the best this film has ever looked, although there is some loss in shadow detail.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=15793&d2=10727&s1=166906&s2=104672&i=14&l=0

On another note, I have seen this film only once and I didn't understand what was the fuss about.

Maybe I have to see it again and re-evaluate. (I have a hunch that it's just that I'm not a fan of spaggheti-westerns)

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

As someone whose never seen this film, I'm considering picking this new 4K up, but I see it's only the theatrical version.

You know I generally prefer extended cuts and director's cuts, so (when it comes to this film) its quite something when I unequivocally say: watch the theatrical (American) cut.

3865774-2623682.jpg?ae=1706246140

On Amazon Prime and by jove and vatican, it's bad. I have no idea how it matches up to the old cut but there's so much cheap tv in this (shoulder shots, establishing shots) that you can hardly believe an operatic director like Coppola would sign stuff like this off. But he did. Well, there's always G I+II.

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. 1st time in 50 years. Pure Don Knotts comedy. Its fun because so many locations & people are recognizable. A veritable who's who of film and television character actor. 

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

The theatrical version is easily superior. The longer cut plays havoc with the pacing, quite badly. 

The longer version adds one very important scene - when Van Cleef visits a Confederate Fort.

There is also some.nice bits with the Colonel at the bridge encampment.

I only watch the US version but like to watch that scene as an extra.

13 hours ago, If You See Kay Off said:

Wait a minute... He DIES??? 

Appearantly not...

But then, some of us don't like crime dramas to begin with, so...

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

The longer version adds one very important scene - when Van Cleef visits a Confederate Fort.

Oh yeah, that scene's good (although the dubbing is as atrocious as elsewhere).

For Your Eyes Only - 40th anniversary rewatch, a very wet Bank Holiday seemed an ideal opportunity. Nothing much new to say, it's still one of Moore's best ... although this was the first time I noticed little pinpricks of red light reflected in not-Blofeld-honestly-it's-not-Mr-McClory kitty's eyes. Not sure if it was from the wheelchair's control panel or a camera light. In the 'battle of the nip-slips' (if you know, you know), I'd have to hand it to the girl with the goon at Gonzales' place over Lisl ... the latter is so quick as to be barely noticeable.

Star Trek III : The Search For Spock - is this the odd-numbered Trek film that defies the consensus about those franchise entries? I'd say so ... you get old-school Enterprise crew camaraderie, humour, effects that for the most part still stand up and an excellent bad-guy performance from Christopher Lloyd as a suitably nasty Klingon commander.

First Blood - the Rambo 'one-man army' thing is considerably less ridiculous when it's being directed against the nastily over-zealous law enforcement types in one small town as opposed to, oh, the entire 80s Vietnamese army for example. Brian Dennehy gives good adversary, and Chris Mulkey and David Caruso pop up in early roles.

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Appearantly not...

Oh yeah, that scene's good (although the dubbing is as atrocious as elsewhere).

I don't agree.

See my FSM article for more info on that aspect.

22 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Showing your wife Hannibal could be grounds for divorce. A caring spouse would have gone with Manhunter for the other Lecter film!

I just like Anthony Hopkins too much

Speaking of Anthony Hopkins, I was watching some old episodes of the Carol Burnett Show the other night and came across this random Anthony Hopkins cameo from a 1976 episode.  Burnett calls him "her favorite actor today."  He just waves for the audience, but anyway.... there he is.

If you cut off the video before he winks, it looks like he is mustering up the smallest amount of pleasantry possible before reverting to grouch mode

VC4WVL.gif

There's a reason he's great at playing psychpaths!

When I was a kid, I thought the Gone With the Wind parody sketch in that Burnett episode was the funniest thing I had ever seen or would ever see.  It does still make me laugh a lot.

My grandparents' first date was in the theater, to watch Gone with the Wind, in the 1950s. They watched pretty much every "blockbuster" from that era on the cinema, like The Robe, Quo Vadis?, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Zhivago, etc.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've never seen Gone With The Wind

I saw it in a 70mm theatre (Ciné Rubens) and it was very painful. Sitting 4 hours in a chair with almost no padding isn't a laughing matter. 

A lot of the theaters around me are converting to the kind with big leather recliners

Many audience members already treat cinemas like their own living rooms anyway (chatting, eating noisily, phone usage, feet up on seats) so maybe the cinemas think changing the seating to something akin to what they have at home is the next logical step :sarcasm: .   

15 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Many audience members already treat cinemas like their own living rooms anyway (chatting, eating noisily, phone usage, feet up on seats) so maybe the cinemas think changing the seating to something akin to what they have at home is the next logical step :sarcasm: .   

Phones and nachos should not be allowed in the cinema 

Horrible bosses. Kevin Spacey sounded really young. That or he lowered his voice for House of Cards, or PAL speedup is at work once again. I ended up watching it till the end because I loved the three main characters, but found the bosses too unrealistic. Especially Julia was so unrealistically offensive I couldn’t take it seriously. Charlie Day is great and the score has its moments.

46 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

but found the bosses too unrealistic. Especially Julia was so unrealistically offensive I couldn’t take it seriously.

You weren't supposed to take them seriously - it's a comedy!

A SCANNER DARKLY

Second viewing- this time on a great home theater system.

It remains the best and most faithful adaptation of a PKD novel.

More relevant than.ever!

I picked the Graham Reynolds score as " Best of the Decade" ( see my signature)

It's comparable to Vangelis masterpiece.

( Even the lesser PDK films seem to inspire good scores....PAYCHECK..MINORITY ....RECALL)

17 hours ago, Jay said:

You weren't supposed to take them seriously - it's a comedy!

Oh yeah? Then why was I balling my eyes out when Tom Hanks said "Don't cry shopgirl, don't cry"?

45 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Oh yeah? Then why was I balling my eyes out when Tom Hanks said "Don't cry shopgirl, don't cry"?

Not the same movie you're talking about. They were speaking about that one:

Reviews of Horrible Bosses • Letterboxd

not the 1987 movie

Definitely, maybe.

That was pretty good. The first indication was the fact that Tony Cook was the audio-describer, who can turn crap into Shakespearian masterpieces by just opening his mouth, but luckily this wasn’t crap. It was also rather amusing to discover I watched two movies with voice-over narration this weekend. Most of the actors are fantastic. I love Rachel Weisz and really wished he’d have ended up with her. Kevin Kline is amazing as well and I think this is the first time I’ve seen Elizabeth Banks in something other than The Hunger Games. Isla Fisher is rather annoying and I really don’t needed the daughter, even though I sort of accept she’s the gateway into this story. The ending was unnecessarily corny.

Clint Mansell’s score is excellent, way better than that stupid Requiem piece or whatever it’s called that TV stations keep rehashing for no particular reason at all.

But they 

Copycat

A really good thriller with Weaver at the her top (she's again named Helen in that one, different spelling though) so is Holly Hunter. Good plot too, kinda of remind me the one from Silence of the Lambs.

Young's score is simply amazing, I really look forward to listen to it again.

21 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Copycat

A really good thriller with Weaver at the her top (she's again named Helen in that one, different spelling though) so is Holly Hunter. Good plot too, kinda of remind me the one from Silence of the Lambs.

Young's score is simply amazing, I really look forward to listen to it again.

Good movie.  Watched it a couple of years back.

Run All Night - this addition to Liam Neeson's roster of 'Jason Bourne : The Retirement Years' flicks is fairly decent action entertainment, as his embittered former Irish mob enforcer Jimmy Conlon goes on the run with his son because his old boss (Ed Harris) wants them both dead due to Conlon having had to kill Harris' own son.

The Rock & Kevin Hart Do Hilarious Spy Stuff In Central Intelligence – Home  Services Blog

Central Intelligence

I typically don't really find Kevin Hart funny at all, but for some reason everytime he's in a movie with The Rock (this, Hobbes and Shaw, Jumanji 1 & 2), the movie is good.

This is a great Friday night, shut-your-brain-off and enjoy this action comedy popcorn flick.  it's consistently funny and the action scenes are good enough.  The plot is predictable but who cares?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Rock & Kevin Hart Do Hilarious Spy Stuff In Central Intelligence – Home  Services Blog

Central Intelligence

I typically don't really find Kevin Hart funny at all, but for some reason everytime he's in a movie with The Rock (this, Hobbes and Shaw, Jumanji 1 & 2), the movie is good.

This is a great Friday night, shut-your-brain-off and enjoy this action comedy popcorn flick.  it's consistently funny and the action scenes are good enough.  The plot is predictable but who cares?

I was a bit disappointed by that movie because I really like the duo The Rock Hart in Jumanji but here for some reasons it didn't work for me.

I recommend Very Bad Cops from Adam McKay in the same spirit. It certainly has on of the best 20 minutes opening for an action comedy that I've ever seen

There is no Adam McKay movie titled Very Bad Cops.

Are you thinking of The Other Guys with Marky Mark and Will Ferrell?  If so we enjoyed that one

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is no Adam McKay movie titled Very Bad Cops.

Are you thinking of The Other Guys with Marky Mark and Will Ferrell?  If so we enjoyed that one

Yeah sorry. Very Bad Cops is the french title of The Other Guys. Sometimes I do forget that the french-english title might be totally different from the actual title.

We've weird stuff like that where movie are retitled with other english titles like:

• Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse became Spider-Man: New Generation
  • The Hangover became Very Bad Trip
  • The Post became Pentagon Papers
  • The Take became Bastille Day
  • The Nightcrawler became Night Call

and so on...

The Hitman's Bodyguard - REVIEW - Any Good Films

The Hitman’s Bodyguard

For some reason I never saw this when it came out, just kinda flew under the radar I guess.  But after a recommendation from a coworker and then watching the trailer for both it and the upcoming sequel and thinking they looked funny, we gave this a shot and liked it very much!

Ryan Reynolds is almost always good and pairing him up with Samuel L Jackson doing a variant of his usual routine let to a lot of good comedy.  But Salma Hayek as Jackson's jailed wife was actually the funniest part, with her foul mouth being a level above everything Jackson was doing being hliarious every time; Sadly she doesn't have enough scenes to truly steal the show (luckily based on the trailer of the sequel they smartly make her a main character next time).  Gary Oldman also gets to chew the scenery as the Belarusian crimelord bad guy.

A good modern action comedy with lots of comedy and good action. 

22 hours ago, Jay said:

The Hitman's Bodyguard - REVIEW - Any Good Films

The Hitman’s Bodyguard

For some reason I never saw this when it came out, just kinda flew under the radar I guess.  But after a recommendation from a coworker and then watching the trailer for both it and the upcoming sequel and thinking they looked funny, we gave this a shot and liked it very much!

Ryan Reynolds is almost always good and pairing him up with Samuel L Jackson doing a variant of his usual routine let to a lot of good comedy.  But Salma Hayek as Jackson's jailed wife was actually the funniest part, with her foul mouth being a level above everything Jackson was doing being hliarious every time; Sadly she doesn't have enough scenes to truly steal the show (luckily based on the trailer of the sequel they smartly make her a main character next time).  Gary Oldman also gets to chew the scenery as the Belarusian crimelord bad guy.

A good modern action comedy with lots of comedy and good action. 

It's actually one of my favourite 2017 movie. A really underrated movie. The duo is so perfect, I can't wait for its sequel....

Yea the sequel honestly looks better.  Salma Hayek being a major player plus them just knowing what worked and what didn't from the first one should result in some nice popcorn entertainment

Se7en.

This was a another re-watch. Last time was nearly 10 years ago and on that day I wrote in my diary that it was ‘super good’. Note that it was only about the fifteenth movie I had ever watched at that point in my life. I wouldn’t say it’s super good now, though I still think it’s pretty great. The first interaction between the two detectives was rather weird and it took me half an hour to warm up to the ever reliable Morgan Freeman. I was surprised at the weird random sentences I still remembered again too and I also stand by my claim that Brad Pitt’s character is annoying as fuck, fucking bullshit, Jesus fuck. If swearing was a deadly sin, he’d undoubtedly have been a victim sooner. He (Pitt) is also pretty bad crying/shouting at the end, though he has his moments. Why does Tracy even like him? Also, how did Gould’s wife not find out about her husband’s death? I guess it was easier to miss these things without the internet in those days. And why did the delivery guy have to walk back after having delivered the package? Oh, and Kevin Spacey is amazing. Was amazing.

The opening cue/song is really weird, but I completely understood why it ended up there after realising David Fincher was the director. The rest of the score is excellent, but badly needs reverb. The Bach piece also works really well, maybe because they’re both doing the complete opposite of what the music is telling you at that point. Will this be the movie of the week, to quote Mills? Time will tell. I will be around.