What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I thought it was more about did Ford do it or not (and most of the time the audience probably thought: Nah, it can't be, he's Harrison Ford!). 

Creed II

creed-ii-rocky-spotlight-poster.jpg

Stallone's worst and most chliched boxing movie to date. It feels like a parody without humor. 

The Vanished (2020)

MV5BYmU0MWZhNmQtOGQ4MC00ZTVlLTkwMTctYzBi

Thriller/drama about a missing little girl. Critici completely destroyed this movie because... they overlooked how Coenesque it is. 

AAAABairzYd6uS8Umqm84BaQOzK-m4wd1vfON4J2

No, it's not utterly realistic, and yes, the police is pretty stupid, but I thought it was pretty entertaining, except for maybe the twist ending. Therefore a 6/10 instead of a 7/10. 

On 8/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, Edmilson said:

This is the kind of horror movie I like: psychological and slightly surreal. John Cusack gives a great performance as a guy who writes books about supposedly supernatural hotel rooms - until he finds one that is really demonic.

I really like this film, Cusack carries it well. The ending is great. 

It's nothing new under the sun, except for maybe Liam Neeson claiming that Spielberg did a lot of the camera work himself for Schindler's List:o

PS: Oh, yeah, and George Lucas says he knew Spielberg was a genius when he saw Duel.

Docu claims that, of all his director buddies, only Spielberg loved Star Wars, which of course isn't true because Marty was really impressed.

33 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Docu claims that, of all his director buddies, only Spielberg loved Star Wars, which of course isn't true because Marty was really impressed.

As, per a recent interview, was Brian De Palma, who said that "everybody" saw the film was great.

28 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

As, per a recent interview, was Brian De Palma, who said that "everybody" saw the film was great.

It's even possible that I confuse these two directors (Scorsese and De Palma). However, in the docu, it is claimed De Palma was angry and didn't understand what it was about or what Lucas was trying to achieve.

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

it is claimed De Palma was angry and didn't understand what it was about or what Lucas was trying to achieve.

When I watched Episode IX I was also angry and not understanding what Abrams was trying to achieve.

What was Abrams trying to achieve? Pissing on a legacy. He succeeded.

I've also read that, out of all his film-making friends, Spielberg was the only one who had confidence in STAR WARS. I read somewhere that he said to Lucas:

"George, this film is gonna make 30 million".

He was right.

Ghostbusters, 2016. 

When I learned about this movie, my first reflex was to hate it because I didn’t understand why we needed to remake movies and change people’s sex/gender, I have no idea what’s the right word these days. And I still don’t. Just make new movies. Then I watched the original one and found it to be rather sexist and stupid, an opinion that greatly offended a fellow forum member and that was not shared by two women I spoke to who still remembered its premiere. Anyway, I turned the 1984 one off.

And now I just turned this one off too. The score and songs are good, but even though Kate McKinnon and Kristen Wiig are in it, I knew deep down I was never going to finish it since I turn off every single Melissa McCarthy movie I come across. But she’s not annoying at all compared to Lesley Jones. My God. There’s also to many rude jokes. Wait a minute, Chris Hemsworth is Australian? Nice! Y’all enjoy reacting to my post, babies.

19 hours ago, AC1 said:

The Neon Demon (2016)

neon-demon-2-1000x576.jpg

Photographically sound, but that's about it. And to be very clear, 'photographically sound' doesn't mean 'cinematographically sound'. There's more to movies and the language of film than good compositions and beautiful lighting. 5/10

That's the whole point of the movie. In short: the form becomes the content.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

"the form becomes the content" is fine, if you're Kubrick, or Malik, or Bergman, or, Kurosawa or even Scorsese; people who write with images, but not this.

Unless you are a genius, it comes off as self-indulgent and rootless.

TBH, Scorsese is hit and miss for me when he tries for that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Not sure what Scorsese movies you guys are talking about. Scorsese either makes character driven movies like Goodfellas orTaxi Driver, or he makes plot driven movies like The Departed or Shutter Island. But a 'style over content' movie like The Neon Demon? I've never seen Scorsese do that.

I almost put Scorsese's name in parentheses.

What I mean by including his work, is that, a lot of the time, his films are more of an attitude, rather than a series of connected images. He directs films well, but there's more to it, than that. He invites you to look behind the images, in a way that very few directors do. It's more than "character driven" (which it is), it's deeper than that: he makes you think about what you see.

I hope that that makes my post clearer?

Gringo - I get how Joel Edgerton came to be in this muddled and mediocre crime comedy (his brother directed it) but it's hard to see what attracted the likes of David Oweloyo, Charlize Theron, Amanda Seyfried and Thandie Newton to it as well. Ah well, at least it was free on iPlayer.

On 8/14/2021 at 2:32 PM, Brundlefly said:

Just because something is intentional, doesn't mean it works.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:23 PM, AC1 said:

PS: Oh, yeah, and George Lucas says he knew Spielberg was a genius when he saw Duel.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:56 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've also read that, out of all his film-making friends, Spielberg was the only one who had confidence in STAR WARS. I read somewhere that he said to Lucas:

"George, this film is gonna make 30 million".

He was right.

5jnx7b.jpg

53 minutes ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

Watched Deep Impact the other day and it’s always so heartbreaking. It has great scenes and images. I wonder though if I react so sensitive because I first saw it when I was 12… ;) 

B92E0A97-E434-4E70-9539-9884E560A1CD.jpeg

I still have never seen it. I did OTOH watch Greenland last week. And I kept thinking "I hope Deep Impact was better."

On 8/15/2021 at 6:43 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Gringo - I get how Joel Edgerton came to be in this muddled and mediocre crime comedy (his brother directed it) but it's hard to see what attracted the likes of David Oweloyo, Charlize Theron, Amanda Seyfried and Thandie Newton to it as well. Ah well, at least it was free on iPlayer.

Oh man, I remember that movie, we watched it when it was free on some service.  Don't remember a thing about it!

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Seems like a bold claim in light of the rest of your post. :znaika:

Not necessarily.

Recently, I saw some film about (I think) gangsters with Kevin Costner (no, not that one :lol:). It was a competently-made film, but I'm blowed if can remember a damn thing about it.

Some films just go in one eye, and straight out the other, having no impact, whatsoever.

Don't slay the Jay!

I mean, I remembered that Charlize Theron and Joel Edgerton were corporate dudes and there was a Mexican crime element, but the plot details had long since left my brain - clearly not important enough for my brain to remember.  However, I just read through the plot summary on wikipedia, and it was all familiar indeed.

19 hours ago, Bespin said:

I almost watched Cosmopolis yesterday. I've stopped it after 30 minutes.

But I like the score!

Not surprised about this, still one of the best films of the past decade.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh man, I remember that movie, we watched it when it was free on some service.  Don't remember a thing about it!

There's something doubly disappointing about the movie you've chosen for a Fri/Sat night turning out to be not so great ... it's that whole 'BUT MAH WEEKEND!' thing, I guess. 

Still, not a problem this Sat night - have booked for the local 'arthouse' cinema's 4K screening of the original Total Recall. 

'Consider that a divorce!'   

Ferris Bueller's day off. 

Pretty good. All the actors were great, although Mia Sara had a terribly weak opening scene. Also, was is really possible and/or that easy to do everything Ferris did with a computer in the 80s? The police office sequence was a little weird too. Anyone, anyone?

The score consisted of really weird cues and a few marvellous ones. The music playing during the museum scene is truly fantastic, Boccherini’s minuet for solo violin was good too (reverb can do wonders) and the songs in the second half were definitely the better ones. Also, this has to be the best use of the Star Wars main titles I’ve ever heard.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Ferris Bueller's day off. 

Pretty good. All the actors were great, although Mia Sara had a terribly weak opening scene. Also, was is really possible and/or that easy to do everything Ferris did with a computer in the 80s? The police office sequence was a little weird too. Anyone, anyone?

The score consisted of really weird cues and a few marvellous ones. The music playing during the museum scene is truly fantastic, Boccherini’s minuet for solo violin was good too (reverb can do wonders) and the songs in the second half were definitely the better ones. Also, this has to be the best use of the Star Wars main titles I’ve ever heard.

I LOVE that movie!

Scenes like the one with the school secretary, which have a huge hairdressing, where she scratch her head, and find a pencil!

LOL 😆 

Ferris Bueller is a great, classic movie.  Ira Newborn's score is super fun, too.   LLL gave it its first release 30 years after the release of the film, even including cues that Hughes didn't use in the movie.  I still listen to it often.

Sinister

One of my favorite horror movies of the last decade. It's cliche, but it has a haunting atmosphere and some genuinely chilling moments. The ending is pretty horrific, although predictable.

77 Skins ideas | packers baby, da bulls, packers football

Sleepers

The latest in my project of finally watching all the Williams-scored films I hadn't seen yet.  Like Presumed Innocent, I enjoyed the fact this was the kind of drama film they made a lot of in the 90s that no one seems to making any more.  Though this one being based on a novel has the more detailed plotting and characterization missing from the former.

Unlike Presumed Innocent, the score was amazing.  Even if the movie was boring me (which didn't really happen), seeing all the context for the score was fantastic, and damn, Williams really elevated this film with his original score.

The film is fine - it was quite impressive to see it's cast, especially as many don't appear until later in the film.  Dustin Hoffman was especially good.  Overall, kind of a depressing movie though, so if you're not in the mood for that, it can damper your enjoyment.

It's a little bit more than that, Bes. It's a revenge story, it's a murder story, and it's a story of moral ambiguity. No-one comes away from it smelling of roses. Indeed, all four main characters continue to be affected by what happened at Wilkinson, for the rest of their lives. It's not a subtle film, but it asks a lot of interesting questions, and, yes, @Jay is right; the score elevates it from melodrama, to human drama.

Film Review: Ready or Not — Strange Harbors

Ready Or Not

Pretty funny slasher flick where Samara Weaving (Three Billboards, Bill & Ted 3) marries into a super rich family and finds out they made a deal with the devil to maintain their wealth as long as they draw a card and play a game whenever anyone new marries into the family: It might be a harmless card game, or it might be "Hide and Seek", where the newlywed is hunted by the rest of the family until she is dead, or she survies until sunrise.  Which card do you think she draws?

Like Freaky, it was a good balance of slasher flick stuff, and comedy.  Adam Brody, Henry Czerny, Andie MacDowell, and a hilarious icky Guadagni are among the family members forced to play the game.   We both enoyed it

18 hours ago, Bespin said:

A History of Violence (2005)

I am a big Cronenberg fan. I have seen all his movies, and I would say, this is probably his best. Naked Lunch is close. 

If you liked A History of Violence, you could probably like Eastern Promises as well.

Animal House' cast reunites at comedy festival | Page Six

Animal House

Meh, I didn't think this was that great.  I had seen it before in college but didn't remember much about it.  This time I thought it was a pretty mixed bag; Some scenes are really funny, many others just fall flat.  James Belushi was great, and so was Bruce McGill!  It was awesome seeing a pre-Raiders Karen Allen, and there's also a young Kevin Bacon in here too, along with a couple scenes with Donald Sutherland.

I actually enjoyed Elmer Bernstein's score more than anything else!  I'd happily buy a proper specialty label album of it!

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I am a big Cronenberg fan. I have seen all his movies, and I would say, this is probably his best. Naked Lunch is close. 

If you liked A History of Violence, you could probably like Eastern Promises as well.

I saw Eastern Promises today, excellent movie as well!