What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets - I thought this had got terrible reviews but it doesn't seem to be quite as badly received as I thought and I found to be great fun, despite having two leads that seemed a bit flat. Alexandre Desplat's score is enjoyable, although it lacks the quirkiness of Eric Serra's Fifth Element score or a decent big theme like, say, Jupiter Ascending (which Valerian reminded me of in some ways - not to mention them both costing a fortune to make but not recouping their money).

7 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets - I thought this had got terrible reviews but it doesn't seem to be quite as badly received as I thought and I found to be great fun, despite having two leads that seemed a bit flat. Alexandre Desplat's score is enjoyable, although it lacks the quirkiness of Eric Serra's Fifth Element score or a decent big theme like, say, Jupiter Ascending (which Valerian reminded me of in some ways - not to mention them both costing a fortune to make but not recouping their money).

I like this a lot!  Film and score.  Like Fifth Element, I doubt it'll ever get a sequel though, which is a bummer

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like this a lot!  Film and score.  Like Fifth Element, I doubt it'll ever get a sequel though, which is a bummer

Was there ever a good sequel where the last film before of the series was more than 20 years ago?

Please don't anyone say Bladerunner 2049.

I didn't mean to imply I was still hoping for a Fifth Element sequel or anything, I was more saying that it'd be cool for Valerian to get sequels, but it's obviously super unlikely at this point

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

There' s more of that?! :blink: 

Sorry, but instead of ...

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I tried to watch A Ghost Story 2 or 3 times, but I always fell asleep on the first 5 to 10 minutes of movie.

I read ...

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I tried to watch A Ghost Story 2 and 3, but I always fell asleep on the first 5 to 10 minutes of movie.

For a second I thought they were making sequels of this!

27 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I realize that it is not a widely shared opinion (and also that it is an opinion): I hated Fifth Element SO much.

I don't know if I actually do or not, I stopped it about 10 minutes in.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

A Ghost Story (2017)

MV5BMzcyNTc1ODQzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTgz

Couldn't stand it so I had to stop watching. It's the kind of artsy fartsy that really annoys me. 

Like VVitch and Hereditary

And badabook or babadook or whatever the hell that hell was.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Was there ever a good sequel where the last film before of the series was more than 20 years ago?

Please don't anyone say Bladerunner 2049.

Why not?

Also, how do you define sequel? Does Max Max: Fury Road count?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Does Max Max: Fury Road count?

That counts. Sure.

Actually, it was not a rhetorical qquestion.I just couldn't think of one. But Fury Road is at least as good as its predecessors. And it even came out 30 years after the last movie. 

John Rambo might also count?

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Does Indy 5 count?

Are you so pessimistic, that this movie will not come out before 2028? ;)

The last one came out 2008. The one before that 1989. So, between 3 and 4 past 19 years.

So, I would rather let Indy 4 cound, even though it does not reach the 20 years mark.

I may be early this year... but here I go with my Halloween marathon!

The Laurie Strode trilogy:

• Halloween I (1978)
  • Halloween II (1981)
  • Halloween - H20 (1998)

Best Halloween Carpenter GIFs | Gfycat

I had a spat with a spaz who insisted the Halloween theme was more iconic, more memorable, and more well known than Jaws. 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

The Turning (2020)

tur1-1.jpg

It's bad so maybe something for Joe? 

;)

You watched it I knew better. Joe 1 alex 0 

27 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Wrong, I knew it too, but I had nothing else to watch. 

I had the ability to watch jt for free and passed. We both have a strong film collection. 

You chose poorly

What did you watch instead? The Goonies?

On 9/14/2021 at 10:29 AM, Chen G. said:

We have a name for that. Its called "directed by David Lowery."

Wait a minute! I did like The Old Man And The Gun which is (luckily) free from his arty style. But yes, I didn't care for Ghost Story, Ain't Them Bodies Saint and the arty bits in The Green Giant. His particular sense of arty seems to throw me out of the movie.

Alex - about to watch another most likely bad horror movie on Netflix called Grace: The Possession

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

the arty bits in The Green Giant.

There were artsy bits in The Green Knight? From where I was sitting, it was all artsy.

At least Excalibur was still a film for blokes. The Green Knight is for the inteligentsia.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

There were artsy bits in The Green Knight? From where I was sitting, it was all artsy.

His encounter with the young scoundrel on the battlefield, for example, is much more straightforward. It's scenes like with the giants that somehow not work for me. It's the way how it's presented. If you aren't susceptible for its beauty and artiness, it kind of misses the ball.

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Independence Day (96)

Still watchable but very dumb. David Arnold's score is magnificent though.

These days big budget movies are even dumber but with shittier scores. That includes the (horrible) sequel for this movie.

I don't agree with the overall statement about movies today, but good golly was ID4 2 (or whatever it was called) terrible.

I keep trying to get the family to watch Stargate with me.

Grace: The Possession (2014)

GraceThePossession-Banniere-800x445.jpg

That's right! It's bad horror movies month on Netflix! When the poster says "From the writer of ...", or From the producer of ...", you know it's not going to be good. The first person perspective of Grace makes it somewhat different but this one was even worse than The Turning

Billion Dollar Brain - surely the 'Bondiest' of the Caine Harry Palmer flicks, this sees our hero up against a nutty Texan general who intends to eradicate Communism by invading Russia with the aid of the titular super-computer and his own private army. Good escapist fun.

First: This is why if I really want to see a film I need to see it in the cinema. Watched the first half somewhat undisturbed, took a break for family things, watched more and finally finished it on my phone. I supposed it's a testament to the film that it was as powerful as it was.

I hadn't remembered who the director was or the composer (although answering one would have answered the other). It was a sparsely scored film although what score there was seemed surprisingly melodic. Then it got to the scene in the last half with the village at night and Newman just lets go. The restraint of the film prior to this really pays off. I just lost it.

I think it was an amazing film. It is both helped and hindered by its "trick" of the uninterrupted shot. I do wonder if I would have noticed it if I hadn't known about it up front. It speaks to how well the film works that I was able to forget about the gimmick and let it pull me into the film.

When this came out I wanted to see this and Ford v Ferrari. I regret that I missed them both in the theater.

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

First: This is why if I really want to see a film I need to see it in the cinema. Watched the first half somewhat undisturbed, took a break for family things, watched more and finally finished it on my phone. I supposed it's a testament to the film that it was as powerful as it was.

I hadn't remembered who the director was or the composer (although answering one would have answered the other). It was a sparsely scored film although what score there was seemed surprisingly melodic. Then it got to the scene in the last half with the village at night and Newman just lets go. The restraint of the film prior to this really pays off. I just lost it.

I think it was an amazing film. It is both helped and hindered by its "trick" of the uninterrupted shot. I do wonder if I would have noticed it if I hadn't known about it up front. It speaks to how well the film works that I was able to forget about the gimmick and let it pull me into the film.

When this came out I wanted to see this and Ford v Ferrari. I regret that I missed them both in the theater.

I have to admit that it was amazing to see in a good IMAX cinema, although the partner's father had to leave as it was making him seasick, which is kinda understandable given the style of shooting. I enjoyed the gimmick of the single shot but tended to vacillate between not noticing to actively looking for the joins. However, as someone who enjoys all the technical stuff, I didn't mind that at all and it didn't spoil the experience. Newman's score was terrific in context and most enjoyable on disc, but it's a score with definite highlights but a few parts that drag.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Billion Dollar Brain - surely the 'Bondiest' of the Caine Harry Palmer flicks, this sees our hero up against a nutty Texan general who intends to eradicate Communism by invading Russia with the aid of the titular super-computer and his own private army. Good escapist fun.

It's the worst of the three original Harry Palmer films, but, you're right: it's fun

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

I plan to watch Abbott and Costello Meets Doctor Jeckyl and Mr.Hyde with Boris Karloff. Its in black and white which eliminates 90 of the posters here from ever watching it.

I do have to remember to add that to the Halloween queue this year.