What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I "tried" to watch the first Dracula movie with Bela Lugosi... and I stopped it... The "beauty shots" using a different lightning and pose, clumsily inserted between two long shots.... It killed me, after two or three times it occured in the first minutes of the movie...

Maybe I just have to lower my expectations... these are old movies... not always very well made...

@Bespin

It's not the first Dracula movie, Bes, but I know what you mean.

It does have a "filmed play" look about it, and for good reason. The 1979 version is, also, based on the same play. Also, it conforms to a 1930s aesthetic.

Try its companion film, FRANKENSTEIN: it's much better. The shot where Karloff backs into Frankenstein's study, and then turns around, is one of the greatest shots in all of cinema.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I "tried" to watch the first Dracula movie with Bela Lugosi... and I stopped it... The "beauty shots" using a different lightning and pose, clumsily inserted between two long shots.... It killed me, after two or three times it occured in the first minutes of the movie...

Maybe I just have to lower my expectations... these are old movies... not always very well made...

The first Dracula is experimental. Its a silent movie with sound essentially. It seems slow.  The spanish film is better but the Dracula always looks like he is farting.  Frankenstein is superior. The Invisible Man is a hoot. The Mummy is amazing.

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's the worst of the three original Harry Palmer films, but, you're right: it's fun

I enjoyed it and The Ipcress File, but found attempting to follow the welter of double-crosses, betrayals etc in Funeral In Berlin very tiresome.  

I like all three original films (I have not seen any of the others), but THE I.P.C.R.E.S.S. FILE is a brilliant piece of work.

The framing, the score, the laconic, world-weary performance, by Caine: it's just fantastic, and it's a very rewatchable film.

Nothing in the series beats the "Oh, shit!" moment, when Palmer escapes, and finds himself...

Well; spoilers, in case of those who are yet to savor its delights :)

"Now, listen to me, Palmer. Listen to me".

The Machinist

AKA the movie that almost made Christian Bale kill himself. In a way, I guess Christopher Nolan and Batman Begins literally saved his life.

It's a great psychological thriller, well directed and with great performances. Roque Baños' score is clearly inspired by Bernard Herrmann's work on Hitchcock movies.

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ok, at 47 yo, I think I'm ready.

I did it.

I'm ready to discover the origins of horror!

A1zqotCV2iL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Gadzooks! Good luck! No Bride of Frankenstein?

Continuing through the long ago days of 2019:

The Gentlemen

That was a lot more subtle than I was expecting. (I was expecting zero subtle.) An entertaining film. A tremendous opportunity for Hugh Grant. Well done, sir.

I might need to track down The Man From UNCLE now.

I'll receive my Horror 21-DVD set tomorrow, my plan is to watch those first:

• Dracula (spanish version) (1931)
  • Frankenstein (1931)
  • The Mummy (1932)
  • The invisible Man (1933)
  • Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
  • Werewolf in London (1935)
  • Son of Frankenstein (1939)
  • The Wolf man (1941)
  • Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
  • The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
  • Revenge of The Creature (1955)

Never watched the 1930s/40s Mummy move, but from the ones I did watched:

The Mummy (1999) >  The Mummy (animated series) > The Mummy Returns (2001) >>> > Tomb of the Dragon Emperor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (abyss)>>>>>>>>>> The Mummy (2017).

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Never watched the 1930s/40s Mummy move, but from the ones I did watched:

The Mummy (1999) >  The Mummy (animated series) > The Mummy Returns (2001) >>> > Tomb of the Dragon Emperor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (abyss)>>>>>>>>>> The Mummy (2017).

Put the abyss before Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

These are good films, Bes, but "the origins of horror"? Think not.

Check out NOSFERATU, THE GOLEM and THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI.

Sorry, I read some older posts of JWFAN a moment ago, and now I think I truly found the origins of horror!

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Yep, still an unnecessary cash grab. The cast and crew can insist how reverential it is to the FAR superior 1991 animated film, but that just makes it look even worse.

I probably would've looked more fondly on this film if Emma Watson could sing -- but she can't. And that kills the film for me since EVERYONE else can sing circles around Hermione Granger.

The film is only worthwhile to hearing Alan Menken's exploration and expanding upon his themes from the 1991 film and Broadway version. The larger orchestra really makes "Transformations" sing compared to the 1991 recording.

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Yep, still an unnecessary cash grab. The cast and crew can insist how reverential it is to the FAR superior 1991 animated film, but that just makes it look even worse.

I probably would've looked more fondly on this film if Emma Watson could sing -- but she can't. And that kills the film for me since EVERYONE else can sing circles around Hermione Granger.

The film is only worthwhile to hearing Alan Menken's exploration and expanding upon his themes from the 1991 film and Broadway version. The larger orchestra really makes "Transformations" sing compared to the 1991 recording.

And I love Evermore.

So basically, I agree with all the critics and fans (and @JoeinAR)... The English version of Dracula (1931) is experimental compared to his spanish version (filmed at the same time, in the same sets).

But I still don't understand the hype about Bela Lugosi. And I just learned that he portrayed Dracula only... in two movies. So I really don't understand.

Anyway, I just understood the hype about a real legend... Boris Karloff.

I just saw the first Frankenstein... Oh yeah... wow!!!

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

@JoeinAR).

I just saw the first Frankenstein... Oh yeah... wow!!!

Wait until you watch the sequel :)

@JoeinAR)

...I just understood the hype about a real legend... Boris Karloff

A true English gentleman :)

@JoeinAR)

But I still don't understand the hype about Bela Lugosi. And I just learned that he portrayed Dracula only... in two movies. So I really don't understand.

Bela Lugosi's dead.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Bela Lugosi's dead.

No one gives two sh*ts for Bela. (Although the more I've read about Lugosi the more I hate the movie Ed Wood. Even more so since it's an amazing movie.)

On 21/09/2021 at 3:18 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Any version of Dracula that's a shorter experience than the overlong dull plod of reading the novel (as I discovered last year) has gotta be a good thing.  

The Powers of Darkness?

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Bela Lugosi's dead.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

No one gives two sh*ts for Bela. (Although the more I've read about Lugosi the more I hate the movie Ed Wood. Even more so since it's an amazing movie.)

Perhaps you are too young to get the joke?

On 21/09/2021 at 2:18 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Any version of Dracula that's a shorter experience than the overlong dull plod of reading the novel (as I discovered last year) has gotta be a good thing.  

BLACKULA?

DRACULA 2000?

LOVE AT FIRST BITE?

These are better than the novel?

The Frankenstein makeup has stood the test of time. But it looked its very best in the original Frankenstein.  It is film genius.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Perhaps you are too young to get the joke?

Nope. Bauhaus, right? But it's hard for me to hear the name Bela Lugosi OR Boris Karloff without quoting Ed Wood in return.

I'm in a horror marathon.

The Forsaken... inexplicably it went off my gaydar when it came out in 2004.

Awwwww...

And with Simon Rex...

I'm kidding, that's an underrated movie, in the lignée of The Lost Boys.

Very interesting!

How to watch and stream Simon Rex movies and TV shows

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I'm in a horror marathon.

The Forsaken... inexplicably it went off my gaydar when it came out in 2004.

Awwwww...

And with Simon Rex...

I'm kidding, that's an underrated movie, in the lignée of The Lost Boys.

Very interesting!

How to watch and stream Simon Rex movies and TV shows

It's a SFYW movie

Safe For Your Wife.

14 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Has anyone made an edited version of Raiders of the Lost Ark that completely removes Indiana Jones? Since everything would’ve been fine without him.

Well... Marion would have most likely died at the hands of the Nazis. 

16 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

BLACKULA?

DRACULA 2000?

LOVE AT FIRST BITE?

These are better than the novel?

Can't say I've seen those. Isn't Dracula : Dead And Loving It also regarded as not being one of Mel Brooks' better efforts? 

Get Carter - London 'wide-boy' Jack Carter (Michael Caine) goes to Newcastle to investigate the death of his brother, and is soon caught up in a very murky web indeed. Somewhat of a gritty crime classic, with the on-location filming providing substantial evidence that it really was 'grim up North' (well, in the early Seventies anyway).   

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Well... Marion would have most likely died at the hands of the Nazis. 

Alright, so we're looking for a version without Indy's theme and without Marion's theme post The Medallion.

14 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Has anyone made an edited version of Raiders of the Lost Ark that completely removes Indiana Jones? Since everything would’ve been fine without him.

...except that they would have never have found The Ark of the Covenant, because Belloq's staff was too long.

The film needed Indy, and the medallion, to find the correct location of the Well of the Souls.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Get Carter - London 'wide-boy' Jack Carter (Michael Caine) goes to Newcastle to investigate the death of his brother, and is soon caught up in a very murky web indeed. Somewhat of a gritty crime classic, with the on-location filming providing substantial evidence that it really was 'grim up North' (well, in the early Seventies anyway).   

Hell, yeah!!! :thumbup:

This is one of Caine's finest, and most nuanced, performances.

Sweep, I'm surprised that you didn't mention Roy Budd's superb score.

Ps, it's still grim, up north :lol:

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

...except that they would have never have found The Ark of the Covenant, because Belloq's staff was too long.

The film needed Indy, and the medallion, to find the correct location of the Well of the Souls.

Nope, they were digging all over the place, sooner or later they'd have looked in that building too.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hell, yeah!!! :thumbup:

This is one of Caine's finest, and most nuanced, performances.

Sweep, I'm surprised that you didn't mention Roy Budd's superb score.

Ps, it's still grim, up north :lol:

Dammit, after posting I honestly did think 'Ah crap, shoulda mentioned Roy Budd'. 

I think the film's most important message that just because you're on the trail of your brother's killers it doesn't mean you shouldn't get laid about as often as Bond does in the course of one of his missions, lol.