What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, he does say there is no why before that. And then no more questions or something.

Woops, you're totally right!

Luke: But tell me why I can't...

Yoda: No, no, there is no why. Nothing more will I teach you today. Clear your mind of questions.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yoda: No, no, there is no why.

That's one of those moments that have an air about them of the arse that Yoda would be in the prequel trilogy.

I mean, what kind of teacher dismisses questions with "no, there is no why!"

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But its not.

Just listen to the character of the melody: its derived from Leia's theme, not from any bit of material we've ever heard in tandem with Han. Even Wiliams latest arrangement of the theme seems to have been written on the occasion of Fisher's passing.

Sure, it accompanies Han, too; him being one half of the pair that the theme represents. But it follows Leia around just as much. I mean, we actually hear it grow right out of her material, for crying out loud!

The biggest argument I think that it is as much a heroic theme for Han is that Williams uses it to introduce the character in the film and the way that it's used in The Asteroid Field. It's actually used a fair amount for "Han getting everyone out of another scrape."

"Even Wiliams latest arrangement of the theme seems to have been written on the occasion of Fisher's passing." --> And that arrangement doesn't sound very much like Han anymore. It no longer has the swashbuckling feel that the original had.

In the film it's played as a love theme, what, twice? When Han and Leia argue on Hoth and the actual scene "Han Solo and the Princess". I'll stretch it and say maybe the finale on the medical ship. The rest of the time it's all heroics. Go to 4:15 in The Heroics of Luke and Han. It's all Han leaping into action and saving the day. To say Leia's role here is passive is an understatement.

It's much more "their" theme in Jedi where it is used sparingly and always to underscore their relationship.

I really liked how vague The Force was back then. A mystery keeps you pondering. Its vagueness made it workable. All that was gone the moment it was explained with midi-chlorians. 

50 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

In the film it's played as a love theme, what, twice?

The character of the theme is one of a love theme. Its not a heroic theme.

Its used for the heroics of either one of the couple, but its still a love theme.

Pirates 5. 

I couldn’t believe I managed to wait four years before watching this. Now I can. The score is too bass-heavy and sounds very uninspired overall. No, let me rephrase that: I was feeling uninspired because I’m sick and tired of D minor music, D minor cues, D minor themes and D minor other things. After half an hour or so, we do finally get other keys and some theme variations are truly great. It’s especially nice to hear the love theme again and how could I say anything negative about a celesta? The source music is all the more grating, however, because of the aforementioned key problem and the first bit of the bad guy theme sounds like Jurassic Park.

Johnny Depp is great, but spends too much time being drunk. Shansa is good too, but how on earth did she get that compass? Okay, so it’s time to start talking about the fantasy crap now, I guess. And about Javier Bardem who I’ve seen playing lame villains in too much and who’s just the next evil man with uninteresting motives. The only good thing about that bit was that we saw a younger Jack the Sparrow. Wait, Barbossa has a child? Okay, that’s it, I’m turning it off. And I’m deleting the fourth movie as well. There. God, I tried. I really tried to sit through the final 25 minutes, but Silent Mary is done with this franchise.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Its used for the heroics of either one of the couple, but its still a love theme.

So Han's theme is a love theme. Why not? Leia's theme in the first film was a love theme, too.

Spinning Man (2018)

RT flunked this movie but it's actually easy to watch thanks to the two leads and because you want to know if Guy Pearce is guilty or not.  The ending is a disappointment.

7g6I0xMUbFOoVKPgrmRLE5hNboN.jpg

17 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Watch No Country for Old Man by the Coen, that's should change you from PoC5

I find it funny that, when Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem meet in Dune, they instantly hate each other. Must come from that movie.

19 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I find it funny that, when Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem meet in Dune they instantly hate each other. Must come from that movie.

I didn't even thought about that but now you've mentionned it, it sounds like a nice private joke

22 hours ago, AC1 said:

Just like this one from the same year ...

39536_1_large.jpg

Poster inspired by this, possibly? 

Oxygène - Wikipedia

Wikipedia says that Christopher Lee was deliberately misled about the quality of End Of The World in order to get him to agree to be in it, lol.   

Water for elephants. 

That was unexpectedly good. Hal Holbrook became young too quickly, though, and he’s great. As is Waltz. Yet more proof Spectre is a bad movie. Also, how does Jacob speak Polish?

The score is okay, but I know JNH can do better. The parade music is really nice, one romantic piano cue is outstanding, but when they finally make love, the score leaves a lot to be desired. It mostly does what it has to do, but this movie deserved better and had a composer who could do better if he was asked to.

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

Before Spinning Man, I tried the watch Little Women (2019) but that one made me doze off. There's literally nothing interesting about it but it features that Dune dude.

MV5BOTg0MzBhZDAtZmZjMC00YWExLWIxOGMtODZm

What about the performances, the lighting, the frame the story is set in, the confrontation of these ambitious women with an pre-emancipated world? I enjoyed this movie throughout. Oh yeah, and there was that awesome Dune dude.

The appeal of these movies in the pre-emancipated world is that every average woman with todays mindset can easily identify themselves with the revolutionary heroines of the story and feel special.

Just like the other way around in those 80s and 90s action movies where the evil guys are maximum brainless jerks so that every man with more than two brain cells and a minimum of empathy can feel superior and exceptionally smart at watching them.

Feelgood movies.

Anyway, I liked the Little Women movie from 2019 better.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

The appeal of these movies in the pre-emancipated world is that every average woman with todays mindset can easily identify themselves with the revolutionary heroines of the story and feel special.

Just like the other way around in those 80s and 90s action movies where the evil guys are maximum brainless jerks so that every man with more than two brain cells and a minimum of empathy can feel superior and exceptionally smart at watching them.

Feelgood movies.

Just no. Just because a movie is dealing with a grievous topic by means of a fair share of humour, doesn't mean that it's automatically a feelgood movie. Little Women mastered that appeal to a broad audience while keeping the topic as mulitlayered and balanced as possible.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Just no. Just because a movie is dealing with a grievous topic by means of a fair share of humour, doesn't mean that it's automatically a feelgood movie. Little Women mastered that appeal to a broad audience while keeping the topic as mulitlayered and balanced as possible.

I just don't see the contradiction. :sarcasm:

I'm rewatching Lincoln by Spielberg.

This period of USA history will never stop to fascinate me. As a Canadian it amazes me, and it frightens me too. I mean we have a soooo different background history, even if we are neighboors.

Anyway, before being too political... it's a great instructive movie. 

And the music is not bad too!

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

This period of USA history will never stop to fascinate me. As a Canadian it amazes me, and it frightens me too. I mean we have a soooo different background history, even if we are neighboors.

If Booth were Canadian, he would have yelled "Sic Semper Tyrannus, Soory." 

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Harrison Ford is good, but in general the acting is awful. Really awful and bland. The Ewoks had more emotions in their voices than any of the actors. Really, the prequels aren’t that much worse.

Interesting. I actually thought Ford was the one phoning it in the most. His character is really odd in this film.

The Jabba sequence might be a bit too long too.

More than a bit, yes. Its really a short film of about 32 minutes - Episode 5.5, if you'd like - attached to a 90 minute feature about the defeat of the Empire. When last I looked, it works better than I used to give it credit for, but if it were a little bit shorter and if we cut back to the Empire a bit during the course of it, it would have been a lot better.

How the hell does Leia remember Padme? She died in childbirth!

Not in the 1980s. Actually, in the script when Old Ben talks to Luke earlier in the film, he goes on for long paragraphs about how Leia was raised and how Owen Lars was actually his brother and all manner of weird things.

In fact, it wasn't until around 2003, when he started really getting into Revenge of the Sith, that Lucas decided that Padme wouldn't survive the events of the prequel trilogy.

Palpatine laughing was stupid. The emperor’s logic is really very flawed as well and his plan makes zero sense. He wants Luke to kill him and claims that will lead him to the dark side, but why can’t Luke just kill him for the greater good and remain a good guy? Why can’t he just kill Luke himself and rule the galaxy forever with Vader? Why does Luke need to fight the emperor? If he wants to die that badly, he can ask Vader to do it for him. Wait, I think I get it now, I just have a lack of vision. God, this story is crap! I wonder what my companion will think after the concert. She wasn’t too keen on Star Wars after TROS.

You know, I have a little theory. I think Lucas had spent his entire filmmaking career in the shadow of Francis Ford Coppola: There's a lot of Coppola in the character of Han Solo, for instance. But, more to the point:

1. Coppola makes a "Hollywood movie" (The Godfather), Lucas makes one (Star Wars).
  2. Coppola makes a sequel, Lucas makes sequels
  3. Coppola's films are about family, and Lucas gradually reshapes his films to be about that, as well.
  4. Coppola attempts to reshape our view of the original film with flashback sequences in the sequel, Lucas makes prequels to do the same thing.
  5. Coppola has gangsters in his film, Lucas makes Jabba a gangster

Now, in 1979 Coppola makes an incredible masterwork about the Vietnam War (a project Lucas himself was briefly attached to earlier on), and so in 1983 Lucas gives us the Carebear-Vietkong and gives Luke the same dilemma that Coppola gives to Willard: do you kill Kurtz only to become Kurtz? And this clearly stuck with Lucas because the Gungan "sacred place" looks an awful lot like Kurtz' compound, and when Lucas was developing the sequel trilogy, he (very ignorantly) described the reclusive old Luke as a "Colonel Kurtz type."

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

...as opposed to "Lincoln by the old lady from the thrift store" :lol:

Doesn't anyone get it? Huh?

@bollemanneke, Leia is remembering her adoptive mother.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

All that Kurz stuff is interesting food for thought, but the emperor remains a really badly-thought-through villain. Actually I can't believe how badly-thought-through this entire trilogy is.

So, what you're saying is: it's "badly-thought-through"? :lol:.

Hey, I had to read Heart of Darkness in a real hurry at school! And yes, if after three movies I still can't define what the hell the Force is and is not, yes, they didn't think it through. And yes, if your villain makes no sense, they didn't think it through.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

...as opposed to "Lincoln by the old lady from the thrift store" :lol:

Doesn't anyone get it? Huh?

@bollemanneke, Leia is remembering her adoptive mother.

She's probably just remembering her nanny.

Oh, yeah. Left alone with Big fat Fanny. She was such a naughty nanny.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Hey, I had to read Heart of Darkness in a real hurry at school!

Conrad is a great writer.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

...if after three movies I still can't define what the hell the Force is and is not, yes, they didn't think it through. And yes, if your villain makes no sense, they didn't think it through.

The Force is a tin of baked beans...or, at least, it might as well be.

Seriously, though, The Force is a power that can be manipulated for either good, or evil. How The Force is manipulated, depends upon one's skills, and desires. The Force is not alive, it is not moral, and it is not judgemental. It's a tool. It's a means to an end.

In other words: it's whatever you want it to be, which brings us back to my first sentence in this post.

Yes, it's badly-thought-through.

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Some of the sound effects are too loud. Ben Burt, you scoundrel!

From you comments I assume you're watching the Special Editions. I find the sound mix to be even worse than the new effects / edits.

Did Hayden Christensen re-record those lines too?

Good heavens, don't give them ideas!

How the hell does Leia remember Padme? She died in childbirth!

Why does Luke think his father was a navigator on a spice freighter? Why does everyone assume that she even knows who the hell Padme is? These kids were lied to from birth!

Also it wasn't until they were writing / filming Jedi that Leia even became adopted at all!