What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

3 hours ago, badbu said:

love it! one of my top 10 movies of all time!

If you ever get the opportunity to see The Shark is Broken, the stage play based on the making of Jaws starring and co-written by Robert Shaw's son, I highly recommend it!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

One of my all time favourite film quotes.

I want to go to Bruges, and say "Fucking Bruges".

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

If you ever get the opportunity to see The Shark is Broken, the stage play based on the making of Jaws starring and co-written by Robert Shaw's son, I highly recommend it!

I thought the shark was still working :)

The Amazing Spider-Man. The film is mostly mind-numbingly boring but the chemistry between Garfield and Stone is undeniable. In fact I'd say it's much more magical than Dunst and Maguire. And Horner really elevates the material - he almost makes me believe this film has heart.

Karol

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Amazing Spider-Man. The film is mostly mind-numbingly boring but the chemistry between Garfield and Stone is undeniable. In fact I'd say it's much more magical than Dunst and Maguire. And Horner really elevates the material - he almost makes me believe this film has heart.

Karol

I've been defending Garfield for almost ten years. (Not to the point of actually seeing ASM2. I hear that's garbage.)

Holland plays such an amazing character and is in such good movies. But Garfield is that SUUUPER pissed off Peter Parker from the 60's comics who lives to make the bad guys feel stupid. Ditko's Parker was much more of a nerd (a la Maguire). But Romita's Parker was kinda cool. And his downfall was that he had such a chip on his shoulder from early high-school that he never noticed that he actually had people around him.

Problem is, Maguire's movies feel whole, but Garfield's movie (that I saw) doesn't. Which is too bad. Because if they had made a movie to go with Garfield's performance I would have loved it.

And yes, Horner's score is achingly pretty.

LAYER CAKE

Very entertaining film that became too convoluted at the end.

However, when I rewatched it the confusion was cleared.up.

Hard to catch on to all the characters and plot twists the.first.time

Moon (2009)

moon-movie-images-stills-duncan-jones-sa

Duncan Jones' debut (and probably still his best) and love letter to the science fiction movies of the '70s could have been a 6/10 movie (as in it's okay but nothing great) but the piano music (trying to makes us feel sorry for the characters in a very blunt way) and the happy ending turns it into a 5/10 movie. 

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Indeed, Richard. If I was young, and totally unfamiliar with classic sci-fi, I probably would have liked Moon more.

I like Moon much more than Oblivion, which is basically the same movie, just more expensive.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

DIE HARD.

Best. Christmas. Film. EVER!!!

(Spoiler alert... I mean, it's a 1989 film but still...) Die Hard was our Christmas Eve viewing and I had forgotten how great it actually is, not to mention how passably realistic it is (at least within the constraints of action movies). The other half, who knew basically nothing about it, really enjoyed it too. I like that Disney+ now wants us to watch the second "episode". I have to admit that Michael Kamen's score didn't make a massive impression on me a lot of the time, notwithstanding that it takes a brave composer to write chunks of action music on pizzicato strings. The most noticeable moments were the use of Beethoven 9 when the thieves open the vault and the the burst of Aliens right at the end, which sticks out like a sore thumb, even if it's quite effective in isolation. If I didn't know otherwise, I don't think I'd have been gagging for Kamen's score as much as people have over the years (and let's face it, LLL's presentation is as definitive as they come) and I love Kamen's music. The latter Die Hard and Lethal Weapon scores are much more engaging for my money and Beltrami's later Die Hard scores are pretty decent too, even if they don't have as much of the individuality of Kamen's originals.

Much of the score doesn't exactly go anywhere, musically, but it's got its share of highlights, and the whole thing is a lot of fun in the film once you realise that most of the pizzicato underscore is also derived from Beethoven (and from all over Beethoven's own variations on the theme, not just the basic theme itself).

matrix4.png?format=1000w

The Matrix

I always underestimate how fucking good this movie is. Maybe because I missed it when I was growing up, so I've only "appreciated" it for its legacy. But boy, was re-watching this so much fun. This is definitely one of those rare films that oozes replay value. The first act of this film is just firing on all cylinders and is pretty much pitch perfect. 

Also, post-apocalyptic worlds just looked so much cooler in the 90s...

And Davis' score really is such an integral part to the world. Hearing Tykwer/Kilmer's anemic afterthought is real a blow to the grand meeting of such robust creative forces that was this original film.

Going to check out the sequels before I hit the new film in theatres. Curious to see how well those hold up...