What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

All Bay movies are awful, even when you shut off your brain.

As with most Bay films, they’re great when the characters aren’t speaking. And yes, he is absolutely an auteur. 

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I mean, strictly speaking, if you can tell from the way a movie is shot and put together who its director was, said director is an auteur: he had stamped the film with his unique style.

That a style is unique doesn't mean its good, though...

Having a set of filmmaking clichés that are far from original and applied to each of your movies over and over again is no auteurship. That is a trademark and not a cinematic style.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

As with most Bay films, they’re great when the characters aren’t speaking. 

i don't see what is so great about his movies (not films). I can't hardly see what's going on during the action scenes and when there's no action his scenes look too ad-like.

OMG, Pearl Harbor is under attack and it's ... horrrendous glamorous!

Vanilla Sky.

That was pretty good. I really liked the first half and feel that the second one will grow on me. Cruise was great, better than in anything I have seen him so far, I think. Still don’t like Cruz, but Cameron Diaz is great (and I keep picking her movies this year, for some strange reason).

The amount of songs splattered across the movie is absurd and annoying. God knows how many licence fees they had to pay for all of them, whether the producers were hell-bent on an album from day one, or whether the movie is just a by-product of that album. My copy also unfortunately had to have the music at an insanely loud level, which sometimes caused the audio description and even the dialogue to be drowned out. Some score cues are great, but then others seem to mimic those wretched songs. Oh, and Bob Dylan still sounds horrible.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The amount of songs splattered across the movie is absurd and annoying. 

That's Cameron Crowe for ya! Personally, I love it. It doesn't always have to be a tailor-made orchestral score.

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Vanilla Sky.

You should watch the original version, Amenábar's Abre los ojos. It's been ages since I've seen either (the original isn't easily available on Blu), but Vanilla Sky was a pretty exact but inferior remake with a lousy new ending.

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well he wouldn't, would he? :lol:

In case you're wondering, he's at Tom Cruise's party. He says (something like) "Come here, you bastard", and hugs him.

Sometimes they do, they always mention Stan Lee's cameos, for instance.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You should watch the original version, Amenábar's Abre los ojos. It's been ages since I've seen either (the original isn't easily available on Blu), but Vanilla Sky was a pretty exact but inferior remake with a lousy new ending.

No can do, my Spanish isn't good enough and I'm not a fan of reading subtitles when you don't at least understand 80% of the language.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

No can do, my Spanish isn't good enough and I'm not a fan of reading subtitles when you don't at least understand 80% of the language.

Perhaps you could find an English dubbed version?

Jaws: The Revenge

Wow, this is BAD. Incompetent script, zero tension, bad acting. This might be enjoyable if you're drunk or high -- it's worse than the old Friday the 13th movies you could heckle with your friends on TV but not enjoyable schlocky like Howling II. Michael Small's score is OK, leans too much on Williams' two note motif, and deserved a better movie.

12 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Wow, this is BAD. Incompetent script, zero tension, bad acting. 

The script and effects work transcend 'bad'. Half the time you see the underwater rails of the shark model and its sewn together like carpet parts.

MV5BMDMwN2UyM2UtMjAyMS00N2NkLTkxNDUtMGRm

4 hours ago, Matt C said:

Wow, this is BAD. Incompetent script, zero tension, bad acting.

The best part is the explanation for Brody's passing due to fear of the shark AFTER blowing one up and roasting the other one.ROTFLMAO

Michael Caine saying of Jaws : The Revenge 'I've never seen it, by all accounts it's terrible. I have however seen the house my fee bought, and it's fantastic!' remains the best thing about it. 

2 hours ago, Matt C said:

Wow, this is BAD. Incompetent script, zero tension, bad acting. This might be enjoyable if you're drunk or high -- it's worse than the old Friday the 13th movies you could heckle with your friends on TV but not enjoyable schlocky like Howling II. Michael Small's score is OK, leans too much on Williams' two note motif, and deserved a better movie.

It’s a shame it’s so terrible as the opening attack scene is actually quite effective and the juxtaposition with the revelry on shore is quite chilling. After that however…

23 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It’s a shame it’s so terrible as the opening attack scene is actually quite effective and the juxtaposition with the revelry on shore is quite chilling. After that however…

Even that is edited confusingly.

Yesterday, HP1.

Today: Beauty and the Beast, 2017.

Two great movies I have loved re-watching. And above all, two masterful, MASTERFUL scores. What a privilege to hear them on noise-cancelling headphones.

On 03/07/2022 at 12:34 PM, bollemanneke said:

I didn't like it. Watched 20 minutes, but Robin Williams and my current state of mind were incompatible.

If you don't like the "manic" Robin Williams, but would be willing to try more down-to-earth performances, watch both INSOMNIA, and ONE HOUR PHOTO.

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Even that is edited confusingly.

There’s no dread or tension in the way it’s shot and edited. You know the guy is shark chow once his arm gets chewed off.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a shame that Caine couldn't accept his Oscar™, due to filming J:TW.

No better illustration of how actors' careers can end up being a balancing act between art and commerce. 

Booksmart. 

Good enough, though it definitely went downhill as it unfolded. Everyone was mostly great, except for Amy, who I lost some interest in. Jessica Williams was much more bearable than in floptastic Beasts 3, but her character turned out to be a bit absurd, unless American teachers really do behave like that.

The score works, some music is okay and the describer had an incredibly thick accent I can’t identify.

The Emperor's New Groove (2000)

A classic from my childhood. I remember watching this one A LOT when I was about 8. Kid me thought it is a very funny movie - and adult me concurs.

Looking in retrospect, this is the movie that predated Shrek for about 6 months. Both films are very early 2000s comedies that, despite being set in the past, still have a lot of pop culture jokes and references to stuff that haven't even being invented when these films take place.

The Brazilian Portuguese dubbing is so perfect that I never even heard the original English version. Kuzco here is dubbed by one of our finest actors, Selton Mello, who earlier in that year had memorably starred in one of my country's most beloved movies, O Auto da Compadecida. A lot of the jokes were translated to our context, so we have references to typically Brazilian stuff like capoeira and tutu de feijão, instead of things from North America (that despite the movie being set on pre-colonial Peru).

John Debney's score has a lot of mickeymousing but it still as entertaining as the movie.

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Emperor's New Groove (2000)

This was a movie (at least as an adult) you either "got" and it sang to your absurd comedy heart or you thought "What the hell is this $%#*?" Most of the movie going public apparently went with the latter.

I still quote this movie A LOT. "BAD llama!" "SMASH IT WITH A HAMMMMMEEERRRRRR!" "I'm sorry. You've thrown off the Emperor's Groove." "Sorrrryyyyyyyyyy!"