What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Pull the lever".

"Wrong lever!".

I really like TE'sNG. Apparently Eisner hated it, but what does he know?

OMG my nephew ran around the house shouting "Why do we even HAVE that lever!" for a LONG time.

I wonder why Eisney disliked Emperor. Perhaps he preferred when his Disney movies were darker and more dramatic, like Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, etc?

ENG sure seemed more like a Looney Tunes/WB cartoon with its insane comedy than a more traditional Disney movie.

On 10/07/2022 at 2:57 AM, Edmilson said:

The Emperor's New Groove (2000)

A classic from my childhood. I remember watching this one A LOT when I was about 8. Kid me thought it is a very funny movie - and adult me concurs.

Looking in retrospect, this is the movie that predated Shrek for about 6 months. Both films are very early 2000s comedies that, despite being set in the past, still have a lot of pop culture jokes and references to stuff that haven't even being invented when these films take place.

The Brazilian Portuguese dubbing is so perfect that I never even heard the original English version. Kuzco here is dubbed by one of our finest actors, Selton Mello, who earlier in that year had memorably starred in one of my country's most beloved movies, O Auto da Compadecida. A lot of the jokes were translated to our context, so we have references to typically Brazilian stuff like capoeira and tutu de feijão, instead of things from North America (that despite the movie being set on pre-colonial Peru).

John Debney's score has a lot of mickeymousing but it still as entertaining as the movie.

Such a fun film.

And Yzma is soo funny. And if you've never watched the English version, you should, just for Eartha Kit.

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder why Eisney disliked Emperor. Perhaps he preferred when his Disney movies were darker and more dramatic, like Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, etc?

He preferred them when they were making more money.

Hee-hee. That's certainly true of TE'sNG. According to Wikipedia, it made $170,000,000 (approximately), against a budget of $100,000,000.

Still, it wasn't as big a turkey as TREASURE PLANET (a Disney film that I also like).

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hee-hee. That's certainly true of TE'sNG. According to Wikipedia, it made $170,000,000 (approximately), against a budget of $100,000,000.

Still, it wasn't as big a turkey as TREASURE PLANET (a Disney film that I also like).

During the infamous Disney boardroom battle in 2005 he tried to use 'Treasure Planet' (among others) to discredit Roy Disney, though the diminishing returns of Disney animation after 'Lion King' were an expected downside to the upside that was Pixar. It's still one of the most incredible stories of misuse of corporate power that Eisner, who hated Steve Jobs and wanted to squash him, for years badmouthed movies like 'Finding Nemo' as flops to his own shareholders instead of building a healthy relationship, a decision that costed Disney billions of $.

The 33.

Well, I already knew how it was going to end, so that kind of ruined it a bit. It also escalated kind of quickly into the disaster and the movie made no effort at all to make me care about any of the miners until they were trapped. Also, why, WHY do they have to speak English with Spanish accents? Do it in English or Spanish, this is utterly ridiculous and inappropriate as far as I’m concerned. Binoche also sounded surprisingly old (though no less good) and I don’t understand why it suddenly had to leap to day 14, while the feel-good parts aren’t my thing either, but on the whole it grew on me.

On to much, much more important matters. I watched it for the score, which is so bittersweet now. I liked the use of guitars and shakuhachi and pan flutes (obviously). The cues for strings are very moving too and those dance-like bits for flutes/recorders are equally touching. But it was all the more emotional because this is Horner’s last score. It feels like an utterly perfect final word from this fabulous composer who I still have so much to discover from, or an epitaph, or even a friendly message from somewhere else. And they even dedicated him in the credits. Wherever you are now, Mr Horner, I hope you are happy and at peace.

It's the very definition of "mediocre film, good score".

There are decent actors, good cinematography, good costumes, and, as Bruce says; a good score from Barry, but it adds up to not much.

Watch ELIZABETH R, instead.

By the way; Elizabeth and Mary never met!

49 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

By the way; Elizabeth and Mary never met!

I wouldn't know.

😎

Seriously, it's dramatic licence and perfectly acceptable to depict a meeting.

Maybe, they did?

Btw I wonder if this was Daltons first film.

His acting style seemed more appropriate for the Olde Vic!😙

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I wouldn't know.

😎

Seriously, it's dramatic licence and perfectly acceptable to depict a meeting.

Maybe, they did?

Btw I wonder if this was Daltons first film.

His acting style seemed more appropriate for the Olde Vic!😙

Yes, I agree, put him in a period piece and he's incredible. However, he felt out of place in James Bond.

Westworld - 'hi-tech theme park that turns on us' sci-fi tale that writer/director Michael Crichton clearly liked so much, he would re-use the basic idea for a certain novel called Jurassic Park a couple of decades later. I hear the recent TV adaptation has spent its last couple of seasons going nowhere fast, but at 90 minutes this doesn't hang around in delivering its thrills 'n' chills. With James Brolin, Richard Benjamin and (famously) Yul Brynner as the robot gunslinger.

Futureworld - sequel to Westworld in which investigative newspaper and TV reporters Peter Fonda and Blythe Danner are invited to go to the 'new and improved' resort. Naturally, it's not long before they discover sinister shenanigans are occurring. Reasonably enjoyable, but Brynner's reappearance as the Gunslinger in a dream of Danner's is bizarre (he's not a threat, he's her date!) even for a sci-fi flick.

Crawl - promising swimmer Kaya Scodelario goes to check on her father (Barry Pepper) during a Category 5 hurricane in Florida, and finds him injured in the family home's crawlspace and the house under siege from 'gators, escapees from the local gator farm. As the floodwaters rise, they face drowning and being chomped unless they can figure out how to escape. Fun 'monster' horror that at a brisk 80 minutes, doesn't outstay its welcome.

Brightburn - basically the Superman origin story (craft containing young humanoid alien crashes on Earth in rural America, couple on whose land it happened decide to raise him as heir own) with a horror twist (the kid decides to use his powers for bad instead of good). It's an interesting premise (and there's a fair amount of splattery gore)  but possibly a bit underdeveloped in a flick that maybe could've used another 15 minutes or so runtime. With Elizabeth Banks.

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

😎I wonder if this was Dalton's first film.

He was in THE LION IN WINTER, in 1968.

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I wouldn't know.

😎Maybe, they did?

There is no documented evidence to suggest that they met.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

...he felt out of place in James Bond.

Are you 'avin' Turkish, Alex?! Dalton is phenomenal, as Bond.

Dalton is amazing. Possibly the best. He's just in a couple of movies that aren't really great.

I watched Deep Impact (1998). I saw Armageddon in the theaters. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. (Kids is much much worse.)

I chose the wrong Big Thing Hits Earth movie! Deep Impact was pretty good.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Westworld - 'hi-tech theme park that turns on us' sci-fi tale that writer/director Michael Crichton clearly liked so much, he would re-use the basic idea for a certain novel called Jurassic Park a couple of decades later. I hear the recent TV adaptation has spent its last couple of seasons going nowhere fast, but at 90 minutes this doesn't hang around in delivering its thrills 'n' chills. With James Brolin, Richard Benjamin and (famously) Yul Brynner as the robot gunslinger.

It's very much a TV movie from its time (I loved it - it was my Jurassic Park) but I think it played in theaters in Europe.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

It's very much a TV movie from its time (I loved it - it was my Jurassic Park) but I think it played in theaters in Europe.

It was a theatrical release in USA.

33 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It was a theatrical release in USA.

Just checked, it was a theatrical movie after all. Funny, I always thought it was a TV movie. It looks like one.

8 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Brightburn - basically the Superman origin story (craft containing young humanoid alien crashes on Earth in rural America, couple on whose land it happened decide to raise him as heir own) with a horror twist (the kid decides to use his powers for bad instead of good). It's an interesting premise (and there's a fair amount of splattery gore)  but possibly a bit underdeveloped in a flick that maybe could've used another 15 minutes or so runtime. With Elizabeth Banks.

I was really disappointed by this as it never really transcends the basic premise. It should have been more.

Karol

18 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I think I missed a bit of character motivation. Is the kid a monster because they raised him that way or simply because it's a horror film? 

His adoptive folks are decent people, but when he realises that his powers mean he can pretty much do anything he wants ... well, that's that. 

Interesting that you thought Westworld was a TV movie, as I'd argue that there's stuff in it that would never have passed muster on early 70s US network television (the protagonists rolling around in bed with the 'hookers', the bloody bullet impacts and the horror movie-style reappearance of the Gunslinger after he's been badly burned to name but three). 

Extreme Prejudice - given that this Western-ish actioner was directed by Walter Hill and it stars Nick Nolte as a Texas Ranger, Powers Boothe as his drug lord ex-buddy and with Michael Ironside, Rip Torn and Clancy Brown also featuring in the cast I expected much alpha-male badassery ... and it's fair to say that I got it.

Maria Conchita Alonso also features as Boothe's past squeeze/Nolte's current one, but with this being an 80s action movie she's pretty much in it to be tit-flashing eye-candy (you might refer to this sort of thing as 'the good old days', I couldn't possibly comment. lol).

20 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Deep Impact was pretty good.

I agree, it's one of my favourite disaster movies from the nineties. Granted, it's less of a spectacle as ARMAGEDDON and more an ensemble character study.

Plus, despite being one of his more derivative, Horner's score is wonderful.

On 17/07/2022 at 2:46 PM, Edmilson said:

I love Horner's Deep Impact. I probably like it more than Titanic. Sure, it's derivative, but it's a nice collection of Hornerisms.

Like the movie it's a bag of corn, but it inspired a unique 'inspirational' main theme that wasn't raped and pillaged by Horner in the ensuing years. The cooing chorus in the end credits kinda ruins it, though.

On 20/07/2022 at 4:12 AM, bruce marshall said:

Fwiw

From the.book THE HOLLYWOOD HALL OF FAME: The most expensive flops in Hollywood History

20220719_200804.jpg

Akkad convinced Gadaffi to invest in not one but TWO massive flops ... was he ever heard from again, lol? 

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

STAR BEAST

Some thing running around a spaceship after coming out of some bloke's stomach? What a load of rubbish!

It sounds rubbish, but let's face it, Scott turned what should have been a bad B-movie into a timeless masterpiece

Encanto

It's a pleasant, diverting movie -- no villain, protagonist is a wonderfully imperfect character. Animation is top-notch, as is Germaine Franco's score. I've never been a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda's songwriting but actually good here like Moana -- the lyrics of "La Familia Madrigal" are good but hamstrung by LMM's rapid-fire tempo. "We Don't Talk About Bruno" is probably the most overrated songs in the film, given its popularity in Tiktok videos.

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I thought Dave Grusin's score was a lot of fun. And the statements on Steiner & Williams themes from Don Juan & Superman was incredible. And made me wish that something like that would happen in films today with references or cameos. It makes scene SO much more enjoyable.

Yes!

Harry Potter 3. In Spanish! Occasionally gloriously overacted, Hermione is mediocre and Trelawney is amazing. Double Trouble is not dubbed, weird.

question: how many times were these movies dubbed in Spanish now? I'm totally confused by the Wikipedi article. The source file says audio latino, but Wikipedia says there's only Mexican and Argentinian dubs. So what do Spanish people watch? Is there no Castillian version?

Mandy (2018)

IMG_0678-scaled.jpeg

Please, don't believe the yeasayers, folks, this movie is absolute garbage!

Yeasayers: "That's the point!"

True grit, 1969.

I liked most of the differences between this one and the 2010 version, but would have liked Tom Chaney to have escaped again since that really worked for me last time. (God, I almost wrote Dick Chaney.) I still find Mattie annoying and was going to say Kim Darby sounded as superficial as any woman does in any old movie, but that was before John Wayne made his first appearance into my life in film. So that’s John Wayne? It took an awful lot of time before he started to grow on me and even now I’m only inclined to say: meh. Jeremy Slate was good, though.

The score sounds quite nice, but is occasionally too upbeat. It’s also plagued by unstable pitch issues and bac microphone positioning. From a historical point of view, I can see why MM is sad that nobody is interested in Golden Age scores anymore, but I honestly don’t blame them. They all sound like crap! Like that marvellous King’s Row fanfare, a magnificent piece of music so horrendously recorded that I’m unable to listen to it. Here’s hoping True Grit was re-recorded. I’m entitled to a re-recording! I’m from Yale County… Tom Chaney… my father… intend to see you hanged… yah, yah, yah!

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

True grit, 1969.

I liked most of the differences between this one and the 2010 version, but would have liked Tom Chaney to have escaped again since that really worked for me last time. (God, I almost wrote Dick Chaney.) I still find Mattie annoying and was going to say Kim Darby sounded as superficial as any woman does in any old movie, but that was before John Wayne made his first appearance into my life in film. So that’s John Wayne? It took an awful lot of time before he started to grow on me and even now I’m only inclined to say: meh. Jeremy Slate was good, though.

The score sounds quite nice, but is occasionally too upbeat. It’s also plagued by unstable pitch issues and bac microphone positioning. From a historical point of view, I can see why MM is sad that nobody is interested in Golden Age scores anymore, but I honestly don’t blame them. They all sound like crap! Like that marvellous King’s Row fanfare, a magnificent piece of music so horrendously recorded that I’m unable to listen to it. Here’s hoping True Grit was re-recorded. I’m entitled to a re-recording! I’m from Yale County… Tom Chaney… my father… intend to see you hanged… yah, yah, yah!

There’s a great re-recording on Tadlow if you want to check out the score. Although LLL did a fine release of the original tracks. Oh and there’s a short re-recording version on Varese with Elmer conducting the Utah Symphony coupled with music from the Commancheros.

I know what you mean about something like Kings Row though, something like that you really need a re-recording to enjoy the score to its best advantage (even if the existing re-recording is not complete). 

Soylent Green - my first time watching this slice of dystopian 70s sci-fi (although I already knew about the shocking discovery the lead character makes), in which overpopulation coupled with pollution/climate change has led to mass food shortages. The authorities claim that they are making the titular foodstuff from plankton in order to tackle the problem, but whilst investigating the murder of a figure involved in its production Charlton Heston's copper becomes suspicious and starts 'digging'.

Set in this very year, it's interesting to note how they weren't too far wide of the mark about some things. Also noteworthy for being Edward G Robinson's final film.