What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 24/07/2022 at 6:36 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Soylent Green - my first time watching this slice of dystopian 70s sci-fi (although I already knew about the shocking discovery the lead character makes), in which overpopulation coupled with pollution/climate change has led to mass food shortages. The authorities claim that they are making the titular foodstuff from plankton in order to tackle the problem, but whilst investigating the murder of a figure involved in its production Charlton Heston's copper becomes suspicious and starts 'digging'.

Set in this very year, it's interesting to note how they weren't too far wide of the mark about some things. Also noteworthy for being Edward G Robinson's final film.

I watched it for the first time recently.  I was surprised at how much it haunted me afterwards.  It's not as clever as Planet of the Apes or as fun as Omega Man, but it somehow sticks with you, and not for the "shock" ending everybody knows.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Indeed. His character's death scene is all the most poignant, because of it.

Oh God, that scene is tough to watch.  It's such a sad, sad movie.

There's also a reference in that Simpsons episode where Homer forbids Bart from seeing the Itchy and Scratchy movie as a punishment ... in a scene set in the future, they finally go to see it together. It's one of the food options at the cinema concession stand, prompting Homer to characteristically react 'Mmm ... Soylent Green'.   

Between this, Planet Of The Apes and The Omega Man he clearly had a penchant for 'end of civilisation' cautionary tales, which kinda makes his five-term run as the chairman of the NRA a bit weird (or maybe that's just me).   

Last time I watched it, I found it slightly amusing that I don't consider the big shocking reveal all that shocking after all. Or rather, what I find shocking about it is the surprise (to the characters), not the actual reality of what Soylent Green is (in the end, a nifty recycling idea - that how it's handled may reduce the lifespans of people is of course a different issue).

15 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Last time I watched it, I found it slightly amusing that I don't consider the big shocking reveal all that shocking after all. 

The shocking reveal in Blade Runner shouldn't be so surprising either. 

That being said, I was 12 or something when I first watch Soylent Green on TV, and the ending did shock me.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

There's also a reference in that Simpsons episode where Homer forbids Bart from seeing the Itchy and Scratchy movie as a punishment ... in a scene set in the future, they finally go to see it together. It's one of the food options at the cinema concession stand, prompting Homer to characteristically react 'Mmm ... Soylent Green'.   

Between this, Planet Of The Apes and The Omega Man he clearly had a penchant for 'end of civilisation' cautionary tales, which kinda makes his five-term run as the chairman of the NRA a bit weird (or maybe that's just me).   

I think it was more a matter of taking the best roles offered.

Science fiction films were not considered prestigiuos in that era.

So, producers wanted a " name" to raise the profile.

Heston was not the huge, leading man star he had been in the Fifties- sixties.

He was transitioning into more of a character actor

image.jpeg

Tentacles

I wanted a Jaws Rip-Off.

What I got was an overlong Italian mess that somehow shoehorned big name actors into a production that had no money left over for, well, any tentacles.  I remember watching it at a very young age, but I must've only seen one of the attack scenes, because my memory of it was better.  Henry Fonda literally phoned it in... seriously, I think his character was on the phone in every scene.  Shelley Winters almost gave it a little life, but then they cut to Bo Hopkins begging his Killer Whales to take out the Octopus.  Alright, that scene did make me cackle.

Think I'll watch Orca next.

From the man who brought you PIRANHA II: THE SPAWNING :lol:

I've not seen this in a long time. I remember it as being dumb fun. At least ORCA attempted to take itself seriously.

If you want a JAWS rip-off, @Andy, try PIRANHA, or its aforementioned sequel, which has the added advantage of naked scuba-diving :)

I love Piranha.  I have to see the sequel still.  I have tons of Jaws Ripoffs on the shelf, it's just a matter of getting to them, and often times sitting through them.  Many of their biggest offense is they are boring, except for The Last Shark aka Great White, which has no official release because Universal successfully sued them because of its blatant rip of Jaws.  I do have the Blu of Cruel Jaws aka Jaws 5, which recycles footage from the Last Shark, and blatantly steals some footage from Jaws and Jaws 2.  It's a ripoff of a ripoff, and pretty fun if you like bad movies.  But oh God I don't think I could sit through Deep Blood again.  Monster Shark is pretty dull too.

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What shocking reveal?

That all this time they were on a alien spaceship. Oh no, wait, that's ...

Spoiler

Dark City ;)

I watched the Jones fallow up trilogy. I must say I was surprised how much I enjoyed Kingdom. It held up better than I thought. Sadly Least Crusade's story just misses it for me.   

I will do Raiders this week, Loud.

23 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

She was the ultimate scream queen. 

The Ultimate Scream Queen? :nono:

This title belongs to Jamie Lee Curtis. :lol:

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

The Scream Queen? :nono:

This title belongs to Jamie Lee Curtis. :lol:

Or Jinx Monsoon

10 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I watched the Jones fallow up trilogy. I must say I was surprised how much I enjoyed Kingdom. It held up better than I thought. Sadly Least Crusade's story just misses it for me.   

I will do Raiders this week, Loud.

I like Ike.

The Mule - Clint Eastwood directed and stars in this unlikely-but-based-on-true-events tale of an elderly horticulturalist who, after his business is ruined by the internet, drifts into drug-smuggling for a Mexican cartel.

Eastwood brings a great deal of grizzled charm to the lead character and there's a solid supporting cast including Bradley Cooper, Dianne Wiest and Laurence Fishburne.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

And then It's Been a Long, Long Time and Main on End. (Bless you, Silvestri.)

I know it's a giant dumb popcorn movie. But it plays me like a fiddle and I love it.

I enjoyed this movie.

It's a pop-corn movie, but it will always have a second life because of its great score by Silvestri!

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I know it's a giant dumb popcorn movie. But it plays me like a fiddle and I love it.

I don't think it's dumb. It's one of the most clever scripts of the last few years.

Tackling that many characters and giving 3 of them a worthy end is incredible. Plus adding to that it has to wrap up a storyline that was teased 7 years before and doing it as well as here in my mind is incredible.

Add to that the amazing performances, cinematography, visuals, and VFX it's a fantastic film.

And this won't be the case for many. But for me Silvestri's score to Endgame is my favourite of his. It is absolutely incredible!!

21 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I don't think it's dumb. It's one of the most clever scripts of the last few years.

Fair play. Even as I wrote that I thought "This is one of the smartest 'dumb' movies ever made." Both movies are separate, distinct, and they run like a Swiss watch. It's amazing how much setup and payoff goes on over the run time of both of them. AND paying off moments from, what, 20 other movies?

That many characters and pretty much all of them get to actually shine? For a long time I called The Avengers "The Impossible Movie" because The Big Team-up Movie had been the impossible dream for so long. IW/EG are impossible not in that they happened at all but that they don't collapse under their own casts and complexity. But they don't collapse they soar.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Its nice to see people enjoy a popular movie that is also a huge critical success. 

That's JWFAN in summer vacation mode.

IT

WILL

NOT

LAST.

ROTFLMAO

Well, not literally the last film I watched but I'm gonna watch this tonight.

Chinatown (1974)

I had watched it several years ago, and I didn't like it at all. I found it very slow and boring.

But since it's so highly regarded I thought to give it a 2nd chance.

What do the rest of the people here think of it?

Well, just finished it.

Ok, I had no problem with the pacing but still I cannot see why it's very highly regarded. I loved the music score though.

And I couldn't understand some parts of it, basically the real estate side of things. Maybe if I watched it with Greek subtitles... (I watch my movies with English subtitles)

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Well, not literally the last film I watched but I'm gonna watch this tonight.

Chinatown (1974)

I had watched it several years ago, and I didn't like it at all. I found it very slow and boring.

But since it's so highly regarded I thought to give it a 2nd chance.

What do the rest of the people here think of it?

Slow and boring, with Jack Nicholson and a hell of a good jazzy score by Goldmsith, yeah!!!

7ck0.gif

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Am I the only one here who actually loves Chinatown? Polanski's second best movie, behind Rosemary's Baby.

No, I love it too. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything L.A. Noir. That includes:

Chinatown

Mulholland Falls

L.A. Confidential

Blade Runner (Hey, it takes place in Los Angeles, okay?!)

Sunset Boulevard

The only interesting aspect of Polanski's life is sadly the night of the murder and he was not even there...

I probably would have liked to see his first movies at the time of their original release, I would perhaps have appreciated the context of the time. Unfortunately, all his movies are outrageously dated.

Well, this pedophile is outdated too... He's still not dead?