What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Honestly when I saw the track list I did assume pigs were related in some way to the track... Then when I saw the film and it was a motorcycle chase, I laughed

City Slickers (1991) - IMDb

City Slickers

City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (1994) - IMDb

City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold

I hadn't seen either of these films since I was a kid.  In the ensuing years, I've become quite a fan of Shaiman's original scores to both movies, and had been curious to see the films again to get more context for the score.

It turned out that I quite enjoyed both these films, quite a bit! 

I think the second film is seen by many as a lesser film, a weak imitation of the original, a money-grabbing sequel, or something along those lines.  But honestly at this point, I just think both films are pretty equally fun and enjoyable, and there's no reason to not watch the second if you enjoyed the first.

I'm sure I appreciated much more about these films than I ever did as a kid since they both, especially the first, deal with coming to grips with middle-age, 9-5 life;  Though I was amused by the fact that I'm now older than the characters are even fretting about being (Mitch's 39th birthday happens near the start of the first movie).  The first movie actually opens with a bunch of scenes in various places (I honestly think I had never seen the running of the bulls opening before) before finally getting out west; The second film gets there much quicker and honestly both films excel the entire time they are in the western setting, though the bookends each film has is nice too.

While the first film is certainly the "better" one, telling a more detailed and more well-rounded story, and a slightly better cast (Bruno Kirby is greatly missed in the sequel), the second one probably has more jokes and is a bit leaner, and has much more fun with some of the scenarios the characters end up in.  So both end up being really enjoyable, and while they do share a ton of similarities (like a stampede), there's enough different stuff around the edges in both to not make the second a complete re-tread.

When it comes down to it, my biggest takeaway was that nobody really makes movies like these any more!  These are completely PG rated adventure comedies, and that was really refreshing.  These days we either get PG13 comedies that try to gross you out at some point, and anything rated PG is pretty much aimed at young children.  This was a refreshing comedy made for adults (though kids probably won't hate it) that doesn't rely on swears, drugs, potty humor, etc.  Seriously, no one makes these any more!

They're on HBO Max

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Seriously, no one makes these any more!

I felt like that when I watched Miss Congeniality. A run of the mill film when it was made, it looks like a masterpiece today.

I mean, I just wrote several paragraphs saying why I recommended watching City Slickers, so that's kind of a weird question to ask

Where Are They Now?: Jumanji (1995) - One Room With A View

Jumanji (1995)

I hadn't seen this film since I was a kid, but revisited it when the expanded score album by Intrada was announced.  Boy, it's a good one!

This film made me realize how great Joe Johnston was, and how I wish he got a chance to make more (good) movies.  Honey I Shrunk The Kids, The Rocketeer, Jumanji, and Captain America The First Avenger are all so good!  But October Sky, Hidalgo, The Wolfman, and his work from the past 10 years?  Haven't even seen them, haven't been intested.  (I know he made Jurassic Park III as well but I haven't seen that movie in so long I don't remember enough about it; I need to revisit it)

Anyway, this film really pops with lots of fun scenes and situations.  The gimmick of them having to play a game keeps things fresh as new obstacles keep coming into the picture for them to have to deal with.  The characters are all good an anchored by a wonderful performance by Robin Williams.  The practical effects are good, unfortunately the CGI was sort of still in its infancy and while some is really good, a lot (like the monkeys) is really dated looking now.

Still a fun romp, for sure!

It's on Hulu

8 hours ago, Jay said:

a lot (like the monkeys) is really dated looking now.

The monkeys with their fur were actually one of the big innovations of the movie! But yeah, not great with today's eyes.

It's been a while since I watched "Freddy vs Jason" (2003) one of the greatest modern mashup movie ever made. It's not particularly a great movie, but it really take the best of the two icons and make them fight together, so it's epic and fun! I plan to rewatch it soon...

So I wondered, without watching every movies from the Friday The 13th Series.. and every movies fom the Elm Street one... which movies can serve as possible "prequels" to this movie?

For Friday the 13th, it's always been hard to pick just one movie.... but two days ago I rewatched the 6th film called "Friday The 13th Chater VI: Jason Lives" (1986) and altough it make a little recap from the previous movies, I think it's perhaps the best movie to enter the franchise (for someone who doesn't want to go back to the first 1980 movie... where the poor Jason is not even the star yet!).

Of course the first three movies (Friday the 13th I, II and III) are classics (and they represented according to me a consistent trilogy), but If you want to skip those and go into the heart of Jason Vorhees... try the 6th movie. It's not a good movie but it's a good slasher one (often regarded as one of the "best" of the franchise), it's full of 80s weird moments and strange jokes... but hey... that's a Friday the 13th!

About Freddy now... Same thing... the first movie (1984), the 3rd one (1987, the direct sequel to the first movie), and Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994) represent a consistent trilogy (called Nancy's Trilogy), but if you want to enter the franchise by skpiping them... I think you can go directly to the fourth movie called "A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master" (1988). Then again, it's regarded as one of the "best" in the franchise.

Then I think you'll be in the mood for "Freddy vs Jason" (where you'll get a little recap of these two lovely characters's background anyway).

Happy Nightmares from the 80s!

On 29/8/2022 at 5:27 PM, Jay said:

While the first film is certainly the "better" one, telling a more detailed and more well-rounded story, and a slightly better cast (Bruno Kirby is greatly missed in the sequel)

Indeed. What Billy Crystal did to Kirby after their falling out is deplorable.

First one is a great movie though, one of the best comedies from the 90's (and it definitely feels like a 90's flick). The "name the perfect ice cream to go with any meal" scene is phenomenal, as is the programming a VCR stuff. ROTFLMAO

On 29/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've seen neither City Slickers film

Am I missing anything?

Yes.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

The monkeys with their fur were actually one of the big innovations of the movie! But yeah, not great with today's eyes.

Yea I wish I could remember what I thought about the effects from when I saw the film in theaters in 1995, but I don't.  By today's standards they just largely seemed fake, like they didn't move naturally, so your brain just instantly knows they are CGI.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Indeed. What Billy Crystal did to Kirby after their falling out is deplorable.

I haven't heard about this!

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

First one is a great movie though, one of the best comedies from the 90's (and it definitely feels like a 90's flick). The "name the perfect ice cream to go with any meal" scene is phenomenal, as is the programming a VCR stuff. ROTFLMAO

Yes!  The random banter throughout the movie is one of its great strengths! I love that they take time to just show conversations as they ride from place to place.

The supporting cast is good too, like David Paymer as one of the other guys on the trip and Yeardley Smith as Phil's mistress :lol:

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't heard about this!

Yeah so the story goes...Crystal & Kirby were good friends, did City Slickers, When Harry Met Sally, etc. But Kirby's star was really on the rise, not just as comedic actor, but a dramatic one. He got good notices playing Clemenza in Godfather II and was on his way up.  Apparently, Kirby had a tendency to do a bit of name-dropping after being in GF2, Coopola, DeNiro, etc., and word is it started to annoy Crystal, who was known to be hyper-competitive and had designs of his own on being a dramatic actor.  In any event, either for that or another reason no one knows about, they had a falling out during the early pre-production of City Slickers 2.  You'll notice the Lovitz character, who replaced the Kirby one, was obsessed with Godfather, and it's regarded as kind of mocking Kirby. It's possible that bit was originally written for Kirby, and he didn't appreciate it, or written specifically for Lovitz after Kirby dropped out.

Anyway, no one really knows what caused the falling out, but word is Crystal blackballed Kirby after that and told people around town he wouldn't work with anyone who worked with Kirby. And for whatever reason, Kirby's offers/roles dried up shortly thereafter. Kirby died, and it was all pretty sad, and the real story about what happened still hasn't come out.

Crystal was pretty ruthless about the subject, he shut down a reporter who asked him about it while promoting America's Sweethearts:

There was a falling out between Crystal and the late Bruno Kirby in between City Slickersand its sequel (where Jon Lovitz replaced Kirby), but no one really knows the details. Kirby’s career faded after the falling out, and word is, Crystal wouldn’t even let any of his people talk to Kirby (in effect, blackballing Kirby in a minor sense). Crystal never confirmed the falling out, but didn’t deny it, either, in this conversation with USA Today during the America’s Sweethearts press tour. When asked what his worst junket ever was, and he turned prickly: 

Wloszczyna: The press has been maybe a little too invasive, I would say, with some of you. But I never really read that much dirt about you, Billy.

Crystal: That’s good.

Wloszczyna: The only thing I could come up with is that when you were making City Slickers II, you and Bruno Kirby had a falling out.

Crystal: He wasn’t in City Slickers II.

Wloszczyna: Yeah, I know, but there was some reason that he didn’t do it. Are you guys still friends?

Crystal: I haven’t spoken to him — I think we are. I haven’t seen him or spoken to him in a long time.

Wloszczyna: That’s the best I could come up with.

Julia Roberts: I’ve talked to Bruno.

John Cusack: I talked to him this morning.

Crystal: This is a perfect situation. We’re here to talk about the movie, and you’re talking about something personal or whatever it is that happened, I don’t know, eight, nine years ago.

Wloszczyna: But it’s about the movie, because the subject of the movie is the press and famous people.

Crystal: So now you’re my worst junket story.

5 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Yeah so the story goes...Crystal & Kirby were good friends, did City Slickers, When Harry Met Sally, etc. But Kirby's star was really on the rise, not just as comedic actor, but a dramatic one. He got good notices playing Clemenza in Godfather II and was on his way up.

Should be pointed out that Godfather 2 was 15 years before those two films with Crystal.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Should be pointed out that Godfather 2 was 15 years before those two films with Crystal.

Sure. Like I said, who knows what actually went down, except it does sound like Crystal did him wrong.

Hot Shots! (1991) - IMDb

Hot Shots!

Oh man, I hadn't seen this movie since I was a kid, and had retained basically no memory of anything specific about it - it turns out much of the bits I remember from the franchise are all from the second one, I guess!

At least since then I've seen Top Gun, so got a lot more of the references this time around than I ever would have at the time.  I still haven't seen 9 1/2 Weeks or The Fabulous Baker Boys, but those are just single-scene parodies that are still funny even not knowing the reference.  There's even brief references to Marathon Man, Rocky, Superman, and Gone With the Wind!  But all these parodies aside, the movie stands on its own as just a really funny goofball comedy.

In fact, I'd say it's just about as good as the Naked Gun movies.  One strength the Naked Gun movies have over this is that Leslie Nielsen narrates those constantly, filling up any deadspace with more opportunities for comedy, while here, the jokes are quiet as frequent.  But damn, there's so much hilarious scenes in this movie, and best of all it doesn't outstay it's welcome - including the end credits it is still only 84 minutes long!

Really enjoyed seeing this one again.  It's on HBO Max.

On 30/08/2022 at 11:10 PM, Jay said:

This film made me realize how great Joe Johnston was, and how I wish he got a chance to make more (good) movies.  Honey I Shrunk The Kids, The Rocketeer, Jumanji, and Captain America The First Avenger are all so good!  But October Sky, Hidalgo, The Wolfman, and his work from the past 10 years?  Haven't even seen them, haven't been intested.  (I know he made Jurassic Park III as well but I haven't seen that movie in so long I don't remember enough about it; I need to revisit it)

I remember Hidalgo being entertaining. The music was good too, IRRC.

On 30/08/2022 at 5:10 PM, Jay said:

But October Sky, Hidalgo, The Wolfman, and his work from the past 10 years? 

You need to see October Sky. I was talking about that with my kids last night when we saw Joe on Light and Magic.

I hear The Wolfman is not good. Jurassic Park III is better than II. It's also the only one of the original 3 movies that actually scared my kids when they were little. They sailed through the first two without a peep. Also: Pteranadons!

8 hours ago, Romão said:

I love this moment

Lloyd Bridges is so good in this movie!  The other guy in that scene, I now know from Veep, Ghosted, and a few other things, so it was fun to see a much younger version of him

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Lloyd Bridges is so good in this movie!  The other guy in that scene, I now know from Veep, Ghosted, and a few other things, so it was fun to see a much younger version of him

Dave. Transformers. Godzilla. 

Kevin Dunn. He was J. Edgar Hoover in Chaplin. One of those guys who hasn't been out of work in 35 years. Good for him. I hope he's a nice guy. 

(I loved him in Dave.) 

The Lookout (2007) - IMDb

The Lookout

Does anyone remember this 2007 movie featuring a pre-500 Days o Summer / Nolan movies Joseph Gordon-Levitt?  He plays a survivor of a high-school car accident that's left him with a form of amnesia and other mental issues, now working as a janitor at a bank.  He has a blind roommates, Jeff Daniels, and regret over the 2 passengers that died in the accident, and his girlfriend that lost her leg and he's no longer in contact with.

One day a bunch of bank robbers let by Matthew Goode set their sites on his bank, and send Isla Fischer to seduce him into helping and the plot goes from there.  The great Carla Gugino, Bruce McGill, and Alex Borstein show up in this movie too!

It's pretty good, with some tense scenes and a decent ending.  Nothing mind blowing, but a minor forgotten gem with a great cast.

It's on Hoopla

The life of David Gale. Not bad at all. Spacey is mostly excellent, but rather bad in the first scene with his son. Hearing him cry was heart-breaking, however, and it’s so mind-boggling to consider what ended up killing his career now. Kate Winslet is fantastic and BItsey is such a wonderful name. The score is short, but equally touching. I’m deeply moved, but have to end on a humorous note: why not just send the two tapes to Bitsey (I really have to remember that name) without doing all the interviews? Because then there would be no movie and I’m glad I watched this one.

On 01/09/2022 at 4:36 PM, Jay said:

The Lookout (2007) - IMDb

The Lookout

Does anyone remember this 2007 movie featuring a pre-500 Days o Summer / Nolan movies Joseph Gordon-Levitt?  He plays a survivor of a high-school car accident that's left him with a form of amnesia and other mental issues, now working as a janitor at a bank.  He has a blind roommates, Jeff Daniels, and regret over the 2 passengers that died in the accident, and his girlfriend that lost her leg and he's no longer in contact with.

One day a bunch of bank robbers let by Matthew Goode set their sites on his bank, and send Isla Fischer to seduce him into helping and the plot goes from there.  The great Carla Gugino, Bruce McGill, and Alex Borstein show up in this movie too!

It's pretty good, with some tense scenes and a decent ending.  Nothing mind blowing, but a minor forgotten gem with a great cast.

It's on Hoopla

I remember it, and I remember liking it a lot. I should re-visit it... thanks for the reminder.

I also remember liking James Newton Howard's score. I know it wasn't critically popular at the time but I dug some of it.

Team America : World Police - was in the mood for more Trey Parker and Matt Stone after watching the South Park 25th anniversary gig, so into the DVD player this went. Still a hoot.

Spider-Man 3

It's still bloated, contrived and reeks of studio interference (although the Editor's Cut fixes some of that) -- but it's still an affable Sam Raimi film. He lands the emotional beats (especially the ending) and it's an easy watch. Tobey Maguire seemed a bit bored in his third go round, Kirsten Dunst doesn't have much to do (apart from playing a flaky, frustrated and jealous girlfriend), James Franco got to send off his character in a proper way. Thomas Haden Church gave a thinly written role much needed heft, while Topher Grace is miscast as Eddie Brock/Venom. 

I hate how Sony did Christopher Young dirty with his score. The tracking in of Elfman's material from the first two movies sticks out like a sore thumb and they didn't want to pay Elfman royalties for his material for a Young score release.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (The More Fun Stuff Edition)

It's still a solid Spider-Man movie that honors the entire live-action film franchise, but the 11 minutes added are a mixed bag. And compared to SM-3, Tobey's genuinely invested in playing his character and added gravitas with his scenes with Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland.

There are two worthy additions: an extra scene with Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock and an extended exchange between the three Spideys on the Statue of Liberty. Everything else that was added in (like an extended montage of the trio in the basement and anything with Flash or Betty) should've been left out of the movie. 

Was it worth seeing again? For $3, it certainly was worth seeing in theaters again.

I re-watched the latest Spider-Man movie yesterday too, it was airing on HBO.

It's decent, but it only gets really good when we see the three Spidermen interacting and fighting together. And Giacchino's choir bursts are still cringeworthy.

22 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The life of David Gale. Not bad at all. Spacey is mostly excellent, but rather bad in the first scene with his son. Hearing him cry was heart-breaking, however, and it’s so mind-boggling to consider what ended up killing his career now. Kate Winslet is fantastic and BItsey is such a wonderful name. The score is short, but equally touching. I’m deeply moved, but have to end on a humorous note: why not just send the two tapes to Bitsey (I really have to remember that name) without doing all the interviews? Because then there would be no movie and I’m glad I watched this one.

Underrated film!

Well in French it's the exact same thing that it says in english... and we understood.

I'm against all translations that tries to explain something, do your own researches!

22 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Team America : World Police - was in the mood for more Trey Parker and Matt Stone after watching the South Park 25th anniversary gig, so into the DVD player this went. Still a hoot.

It's not only a very funny, and very good, film, it's also a brilliant critique of (then) American foreign policy.

"Montage" makes me cry with laughter, every time.

Always fade out, at the end of a montage...

Yep ... the US's gung-ho foreign policy gets it in the neck, but so do anti-war Hollywood liberals (I think you can tell a lot about someone from how they handle being parodied ... Matt Damon thought his portrayal in Team America was hilarious, Sean Penn was pissed off with his). 

Meatballs - late 70s summer-camp comedy that was Bill Murray's big-screen debut. Passably amusing, albeit without (surprisingly, given the genre) any nekkid ladies.

18 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yep ... the US's gung-ho foreign policy gets it in the neck, but so do anti-war Hollywood liberals (I think you can tell a lot about someone from how they handle being parodied ... Matt Damon thought his portrayal in Team America was hilarious, Sean Penn was pissed off with his). 

Agreed, it's an equal opportunities offender ;-)

The best review was from my mother with whom I went to see it when we were on holiday in Canada, being "I enjoyed it during the bits where I wasn't asleep."

Have nodded off quite a few times watching a movie at home (usually when it's a Friday/Saturday night and booze is part of the equation), but have yet to have it happen at the cinema.   

22 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

And Roger Ebert claims it advocates the death penalty. Not sure what he was on about.

It was a widely shared critique of the movie back then, which came at the tail-end of similar 'bleeding heart' movies.

The Life of David Gale accuses evil conservative forces of trying to make ultra-liberals look like dangerous loonies while making its ultra-liberal criminals just that. Not only is the rape and murder staged to prove that the criminal justice system is flawed, the very fact that it's staged suggests that the criminal justice system, in punishing someone wilfully complicit in the death of another, is working just fine. By itself, the dedicatedly predictable potboiler premise is all right--all right, provided that the film doesn't spend the duration of its running time celebrating the virtue of its collection of schemers and plotters. The real danger of movies like this is that the general poorness of the production in every aspect (direction, acting, script, logic) is obscured by its glad-handing of a hot-button topic.

https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2003/02/the-life-of-david-gale.html

On 03/09/2022 at 6:09 PM, bollemanneke said:

I got to see this with a Q&A with Spacey. The only good thing about it IMHO was the performances. Mind you, at the time the trailer pretty much gave up the entire ending. I don't know what I would have thought going in cold. But I got to have Kevin Spacey imitate Walter Mathau and tell me "Go f--- yourself!" A cherished memory.

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I re-watched the latest Spider-Man movie yesterday too, it was airing on HBO.

It's decent, but it only gets really good when we see the three Spidermen interacting and fighting together. And Giacchino's choir bursts are still cringeworthy.

That doesn’t bother me as much as Giacchino not quoting Elfman and Horner’s Spider-Man themes more prominently in those scenes. Elfman’s Doc Ock and Green Goblin themes got used more in comparison.

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Why not? 

It's like saying Titanic praises icebergs or that, I dunno, The Duchess advocates rape and Hook celebrates growing up. The movie literally does nothing but criticise the death penalty.

45 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

It's like saying Titanic praises icebergs or that, I dunno, The Duchess advocates rape and Hook celebrates growing up. The movie literally does nothing but criticise the death penalty.

Yes, but in this case the Titanic is pointed at the iceberg and runs at full speed to prove that the Titanic is a flawed design and cannot withstand icebergs. 

This proves that people can be wrongfully executed if they tried very hard to be wrongfully executed.