What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Yesterday I watched My Friend Dahmer (2017).

My Friend Dahmer (2017) - IMDb

It's a movie based on a "comic" created by a high school classmate of Dahmer, published few years before, and based on cartoons he started at the time of events:

My Friend Dahmer : Backderf, Derf: Amazon.ca: Books

I prepared myself to watch this movie by watching this documentary first: Fresh Meat - Jeffrey Dahmer (2021).

Fresh Meat: Jeffrey Dahmer (TV Movie 2021) - IMDb

What to say.

Dahmer raped, murdered, and dismembered at least 17 men and boys in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, between 1978 and 1991. He was convicted of fifteen of the murders he had committed in Wisconsin and was sentenced to fifteen terms of life imprisonment on February 17, 1992.

The movie relates the last high school years of Dahmer, between somewhat 1975 and 1978.

My Friend Dahmer (2017) par Marc Meyers

If at the begining of the movie, it's clear that Ross Lynch "overplay" a bit... we quickly discover a tragic story about the "loneliest teenager in the world"... ignored not only by all his environment of the late 70s (e.g. other people of his age at school), but especially by all the adults around him (not only his parents, but the teachers, everyone). There's no question of abuse, it's a question of a teen being completely ignored. That's it.

The watching of this movie leaved me with an horrible feeling of loneliness. It's a very intimate and slow movie, like I said, it's based on a story related by a classmate...

After the movie, I watched some interviews Dahmer gave later, after he was put in jail. He always refused to blame anyone for his acts, the society, not even his parens, he always said he was the only one responsible for the wrong turn he took.

And what a bad turn.

Anyway, it is not a film that tries to make the character sympathetic to us, he is not, nor to excuse what he has become. But it’s a film about a specific era, a specific milieu... and how at puberty, everything can mix in the mind of a lonely teen. 

Next, I plan to watch the new Netflix series, which I think will obviously focus on the macabre parts... Well, it's Netflix.

What's fascinates me in these true crime stories, it's okay... the killers were mad, really mad... but they got away with murder... only with the help of a completely incompetent milieu... Here I talk about the police, the justice system, often... witnesses, family members that often knew someting, but never talked...

That's what's fascinating...

Geez, Louise, can't someone make a good movie about nice people, instead of fleecing the general public out of so much money, with murder, death, casual destruction, horror, violence, serial killers, slackers, misfits, disturbed children, endless MCU/DCEU, remakes, or rinsing heritage franchises?

Things that are good are soon told about, but not much to listen to or watch; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Geez, Louise, can't someone make a good movie about nice people, instead of fleecing the general public out of so much money, with murder, death, casual destruction, horror, violence, serial killers, slackers, misfits, disturbed children, endless MCU/DCEU, remakes, or rinsing heritage franchises?

The Guardian pondered if the Netflix Dahmer thing was the most exploitative piece of TV of 2022 so far and said it was 'almost queasily unwatchable'. 

It's very watchable and it doesn't glorify Dahmer, creeps or serial killers! I guess most critics are still too much entranced by Strange Things 3 or Obi Wan.

Sigh ...

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

91VmLG-dyvL._RI_.jpg

Well if this is what you want, then Modern Love is exactly what the doctor ordered. You can watch it on Prime!

Ewwwwwww.

I'll watch Always a hundred times (and I have) before I watch Hook again. There are far worse Spielberg films than Always. I'm not sure that there are worse movies than Hook.

Someday I'll force myself to watch The Post. I'm willing to bet my opinion won't change. (Tintin might be in the running.)

As I rewatch Hook being older... I realize it's more a movie for a grown up Peter Pan than for a young one.

Several scenes from the begining of the movie are now very moving and yes, the music is always better and better.

Then it remains a movie with a lot of technical problems, like the transitions (or the lack of) between some scenes and some very odd special effects (even for the time).

But like I said... I was moved by it, like never I was before... and watching it for the first time in Blu-ray for me, was fantastic.

"Capataine Crochet" ROTFLMAO

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

...it remains a movie with a lot of technical problems, like the transitions (or the lack of) between some scenes and some very odd special effects (even for the time).

Can you give us examples, Bes?

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Someday I'll force myself to watch The Post. I'm willing to bet my opinion won't change.

It won't ;)

I've seen THE POST several times since its release, and, frankly, it's well-made junk.

It even dares to reference a far, far greater film, at the end.

very minor entry in Spielberg's oeuvre.

Capitaine!

The transition between the scenes where Robbins get kissed by Mermaids, then the next one where he's already out of the sea, being lifted in a giant Clam.

Even the music seems to say: eew, ok, that was it!

MV5BYzUxZDI3MjktZmM4YS00MzdjLWE5MzctMmI4

'Little Shop of Horrors' is a slaphappy musical of carefree abandon. It's so endearingly stupid and comic-strippy even i can enjoy it. Frank Oz directs people like the muppets he used to, but it works in the movie's favour.

Steve Martin and Bill Murray have this great cameo pairing as sadistic dentist and masochist patient which reminded me that this decade (the 80's) spawned a number of great comedians (and comedies) unmatched before or since.

Fort Tilden - Is Fort Tilden on Netflix - FlixList

Fort Tilden

Oh, man!  This is the debut movie from Sarah-Violet Bliss and Charles Rogers, who would go to to make the (great!) TV series Search Party as their next project.  When viewed from that perspective this is a bit like a really raw "pilot" version of many of the tone and feel they were going for in that show, at least where that show begins (later seasons bare no resemblance to this movie whatsoever!)

The film follows two entitled Brooklyn millennials over the course of a single day as they try to get from their apartment to the beach to meet some boys.... and nothing goes right.  This is the kind of film that is not for everyone, that many will turn off because they find the two leads too unlikeable and annoying, but that is kind of the point!  The movie pokes fun at their perceived entitlement, and their inability to make logical decisions if it gets in the way of their (immediate) goals - their lack of concrete long-term goals is one of the themes explored.

I can understand why many would flick it off, but I was amused the whole time, made easy for me because the two leads - Bridey Elliot (Chris Elliot's daughter) and Clare McNulty (Chantall from Search Party) really give their all portraying these characters, and they have great comedic timing and line deliveries.  The interpersonal drama can be a bit OTT, and I feel like that is what Bliss and Rogers reeled in when making Search Party, but the dark comedy that runs throughout was right up my alley.  What really makes the film work though is the climax, which is so unexpected and unlike any climax I've seen in any similar movies, it really made the film overall worth recommending and something special, if extremely niche and quirky.  

Now that Search Party is over, I hope they make another film, I'd love to see a followup.

Random side note, this one one of the first movies Orion Pictures released when they came back to life in the 2010s, it was quite the throw-back to see that classic logo footage play in front of the film!

It's on Kanopy

2 hours ago, publicist said:

MV5BYzUxZDI3MjktZmM4YS00MzdjLWE5MzctMmI4

'Little Shop of Horrors' is a slaphappy musical of carefree abandon. It's so endearingly stupid and comic-strippy even i can enjoy it. Frank Oz directs people like the muppets he used to, but it works in the movie's favour.

Steve Martin and Bill Murray have this great cameo pairing as sadistic dentist and masochist patient which reminded me that this decade (the 80's) spawned a number of great comedians (and comedies) unmatched before or since.

And a score by Alan Menken, as I learned few days ago!

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

And a score by Alan Menken, as I learned few days ago!

I don't recall if it has an actual score (I suppose there must be some underscore at least), but the original stage musical and the film based on it were both written by Ashman and Menken. I actually played the album today (before reading Pub's post).

Platoon (1986) - IMDb

Platoon

I saw this film once in college, and this was now my second time seeing it.  I didn't remember anything about it though, so it might as well have been a first watch!

I thought it was pretty interesting to frame Charlie Sheen's character as this rich kid who wasn't drafted but signed up to do his part, although that aspect didn't end up really having much impact; What was more interesting was seeing how the Lieutenant running the squad (Mark Moses) was pretty much checked out and the two Sargeants (Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe) had two completely different ideas about how to runs things over there, and Sheen gets caught in the middle.  Keith David, Foreset Whitaker, Kevin Dillon, John C McGinley, Johnny Depp, and Tony Todd all show up too.

Overall though, I wasn't very impressed with the movie, it was just kind of a depressing and nasty slog.  I'm sure the point was to display the horrors of war, especially the Vietnam War, but I didn't find it very compelling.  Of course I am spoiled now by the post-Saving Private Ryan war movies that are filmed in a different way.  I'm sure this one had more of an impact to its 1986 audience than it had to me now.

I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Yea I was probably 19-21 when I saw it and thought it was good enough I eventually bought the blu ray

After we finally watched the blu ray a few weeks ago, I put it on my "to sell" pile.

I'm watching Night at Museum: Secret of the Tomb for the first time.

Halloween's lists... :sarcasm:

I understand I maybe should laugh at every scenes, instead, another part of my brain just remembered I purchased the score of this movie on CD...

Alan Silvestri!!!

Ah!!! :lovethis:

Heat (1995) - IMDb

Heat

Hey, this movie is pretty good :P  I had seen it once or twice before, but not in around 20 years or so, and I quite enjoyed revisiting it.  It really holds up as quite the engaging crime thriller, but one of the best sound mixes I've ever had come out of my home sound system.  Once all the gun violence happens outside the bank, I couldn't believe how loud and visceral the sound mix was, it was really quite impressive!  I'd guess the entire movie leading up to that scene is at a lower over all volume, so this scene comes in to purposely be loud and in your face, and it's just great.

The only part of the movie that stood out as being strange was a random scene where Waingro murders a prostitute, and somehow for some reason Pacino is called to the scene, like they would know her death would have anything to do with his case?  Actually, they framed it as if he was already investigating some kind of serial killer of prostitutes so that's why he was called, but that was such a random aside that never gets mentioned again, it just ended up being a weird scene.  It made me feel like it was the start of a deleted storyline and they just forgot to delete the first part too.  Weird.

Overall, one heck of a cool movei that fully justifies its almost 3 hour runtime...well, except that one scene :) 

HEAT is a genuine classic, and among the greatest films in recent memory.

Everything, from writing and performances, to editing, music, cinematography, and direction, are all first class.

It's two hours and fifty minutes, but it doesn't feel like it. It's not a slog, by any standard. Rather, it's involving, and thrilling, and it generates a lot of sympathy for both sides (except, of course, for Waingro, because he's a scum-bag asshole).

The ending, at LAX, is unbearably moving.

A modern masterpiece.

The cinematography is really nice, that and the sound mix were my big takeaway from this viewing.

And yea, it definitely doesn't feel like a 3 hour movie in the slightest, it's paced great!

Fun fact: Mann redubbed the shootout sequence, but after hearing it, he decided that it didn't work. He preferred all the ambient sound from the original footage, so that's what we hear, in the film.

Listening to it on a 5.1 system, you get all the wonderful reverb of the bullet hits.

It's a masterful sequence to watch, and to listen to.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Heat

What did you think of the music/score? For some I think it's one of their favourite Goldenthal soundtracks (for both his own music and the stuff my Moby and others, I believe), but it's always been a bit of a nonentity to me, on CD and in the film.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I had no idea my setup could sound this good until I put this blu ray on!

Have you watched Master and Commander on it?

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watched both Poltergeist and It Follows last night. Really enjoyed both. The expert execution of simple premise in the latter really impressed me.

Poltergeist, as I said before, ranks quite differently for me depending on which aspects of it I focus on, but if I pay extra attention to the score, the film as a whole is stunning. With all the dialled out music restored, it would be one of my top favourite LTP things.

It Follows is indeed amazingly well made. I probably enjoyed it more the second time I watched it, because I could focus more on how it all works together.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What did you think of the music/score? For some I think it's one of their favourite Goldenthal soundtracks (for both his own music and the stuff my Moby and others, I believe), but it's always been a bit of a nonentity to me, on CD and in the film.

Honestly, I didn't really like the score.  At times I felt it really felt at-odds with what I was seeing on the screen, like it was scoring a cheesier version of the actual movie I was watching.  It wasn't always like this throughout, though, just certain score cues. Well, I'm not entirely sure what was Goldenthal and what was needle-drops, tbh.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Hmm, no, I don't think so, but I betcha that's a great one; I love that movie!  And I have it on blu, too.

1 hour ago, Jay said:
3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Hmm, no, I don't think so, but I betcha that's a great one; I love that movie!  And I have it on blu, too.

The entire opening is a feast for a good sound system. And unless you REALLY turn it down, the first cannon blast will shake your house.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Don't you think this is particularly terrific?

18 minutes ago, Romão said:

Don't you think this is particularly terrific?

Not particularly terrific, no. Still better than what I remembered (or rather: didn't remember) though. I might give the album another (virtual) spin after all. Oddly enough much of this sounds to me like a mix of Michael Nyman and Bernard Herrmann filtered through Goldenthal.

Big Trouble – Spoiler Time

Big Trouble

Oh man, this movie is TWENTY YEARS OLD now!  It's a classic mad-cap romp, with Tim Allen, Renee Russo, Stanley Tucci, Tom Sizemore, Johnny Knoxville, Dennis Farina, Janeane Garofalo, Patrick Warburton, Zooey Deschanel, Ben Foster, Heavy D, Omar Epps, Andy Richter, Sofia Vergara, Jason Lee, DJ Qualls.... how did every role in this little movie get filled with big names?!  And they're ALL funny in this!  The whole movie is completely entertaining from start to finish, and James Newton Howard's score is really fun!

Anybody else here like this one?

I'm currently watching for the first time... Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Yes, Halloween list...

But I surprise myself to laugh Diabolically when watching it...

Tim Burton!

On 30/9/2022 at 3:45 PM, Jay said:

Big Trouble – Spoiler Time

Big Trouble

Oh man, this movie is TWENTY YEARS OLD now!  It's a classic mad-cap romp, with Tim Allen, Renee Russo, Stanley Tucci, Tom Sizemore, Johnny Knoxville, Dennis Farina, Janeane Garofalo, Patrick Warburton, Zooey Deschanel, Ben Foster, Heavy D, Omar Epps, Andy Richter, Sofia Vergara, Jason Lee, DJ Qualls.... how did every role in this little movie get filled with big names?!  And they're ALL funny in this!  The whole movie is completely entertaining from start to finish, and James Newton Howard's score is really fun!

One of my favorites. The whole cast is really great. 

On 30/09/2022 at 3:45 PM, Jay said:

Never seen it. It didn't grab my attention at the time. But now it's probably the kind of movie I wish they were still making.

It definitely wasn't a big hit, and got little marketing since it had the unfortunate timing of having a plot involving a bomb in an airport and originally scheduled to release shortly after 9/11. Doesn't seem have developed a cult following at all in the years following, which is a shame 

I adore Dawn of the Dead.   There’s something new to appreciate every viewing.   I love the message that they get everything they could want, and they’re still unhappy. 

They throw a nice convention in Pittsburgh where you visit all the filming locations such as the airport. 

So yes, I’ve been to the mall several times. 

I got to watch the film in 3D, with lots of cast members, in the mall theater, which is where the JC Penny store the protagonists occupied used to be located. Trippy!

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I've started my Halloween month of horror films.

Dawn of the dead (1978)

I fell asleep after 45 minutes.

7.8 at imdb for this??? :huh:

You should have watched this one instead:

maxresdefault.jpg