What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Watched Ready Or Not again.

I saw this in the cinema in 2019 when it came out and remember having a fun time. And I had again.

The whole film has a lot of laughs and Samara Weaving is very good and extremely funny. The end is maybe a bit over the top, but I still like it a lot.

I was happy to see the directors going on to direct Scream 5 & next years 6. They are very talented (and that's a franchise I deeply love).

Tyler's score is also great. Beautiful main theme which he twists and turns as the story goes on.

All in, a great way to spend an evening!

Pete's dragon, 2016.

Pretty good, surprisingly moving at times and just not corny enough. Robert Redford’s first scene was downright terrible and I’m still finding it very hard to watch villains for some reason.

The score needed a few minutes to get underway, but eventually it did. Part of me wants to say that I wish someone like Doyle, Williams, Howard or Powell had written it, but a bigger part of me thinks it really can’t complain. Most of the cues are great, but occasionally… something’s missing. And of course, the songs are nice, but could have been replaced by more score.

Bird_on_a_wire_poster.jpg

Fun 90s comedy-action film.

The reason I'm mentioning it here is that it has a Hans Zimmer score.

Listening to these early Zimmer scores, I wonder how it is the same man that wrote The Thin Red Line, The Lion King and Prince of Egypt, 3 scores I consider top-notch!

4 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Into The Storm (2014) IMDb

A good bad movie to pass the time with. But this is B-movie territory if any one has any doubts. But you could do worse.

2BDAFE85-6071-46D1-ADAD-4C25D1EF8466.jpeg

I love a good bad weather disaster movie!  I also enjoyed this one.  If you're looking for another at some point, try Geostorm, even more ridiculous even than Into the Storm.

Neither of them hold a candle to The Day After Tomorrow, a movie I have sentimental attachment to.

I thought "Day After Tomorrow? That's a terrible movie! No, wait am I thinking of the right one? They must be talking about that amazing time loop movie with Tom Cruise. No. No wait. That's EDGE of Tomorrow. No, Day After Tomorrow. That's a terrible movie! No, wait am I thinking of the right one? They must be talking about that amazing time loop movie with Tom Cruise. No. No wait. That's EDGE of Tomorrow. No, Day After Tomorrow. That's a terrible movie! No, wait am I thinking of the right one? They must be talking about that amazing time loop movie with Tom Cruise. No. No wait. That's EDGE of Tomorrow. No, Day After Tomorrow. That's a terrible movie! No, wait am I thinking of..."

On 05/11/2022 at 6:50 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Some films are so bad they're good. Some films are so bad they're just bad. Most bad firms that I have seen have at least one thing good, about them.

You forgot the films that are what they are but get lots of dubious flak because the people that went to see them seem to be from Mars - going by their outlandish expectations. What *did* anyone expect from a Roland Emmerich disaster movie about the end of times? I expected watchable crap with a few breathtaking vistas and action scenes to kill a few minutes and i got exactly that. The only minus point would be sometimes horrible CGI (afair) and the bad score.

The Seed (2021) IMDb

12559064-4E84-499A-A29C-84FCD35EAC55.jpeg

It started out really well. Obviously not an A-level production, but a fun ride. After the first 1/3, I was so pleasantly surprised that I was half expecting this to be a hidden gem! Unfortunately, it didn’t hold up all the way, and it ended up an unfulfilled promise of B-movie greatness. Too bad, since it could have been more than the mediocre affair it turned out to be. Still, I’ve seen worse.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

My goodness, Sweep! I remember seeing that, at my local flea-pit.

Coltrane did another film at about that time: THE POPE MUST DIE.

You'll find Nuns on The Run on All4, that's how I watched it. Saw The Pope Must Die at the time ... seem to remember it was changed to 'The Pope Must Diet' upon release in predominantly Catholic countries, for fear of causing offence. Hehehe.  

Cinemablend has an ongoing article series called Adapting Stephen King which is quite fun. They go through the different novels and their cinematic adaptations or highlight other aspects from the production or their legacy.

C1403B13-E521-4060-A1CB-105A61503C92.webp

The only thing lacking is a good overview, there’s no proper index (not by title, year or otherwise) of which adaptions that have been scrutinized, so you have to click and scroll to find whatever you might find interesting, which is a bit annoying but doesn’t take away from the quality of the series.

There are a butt load of articles, and it might seem a bit daunting even to sift through, but here are some examples of what you can expect to find:

Adapting Stephen King's Castle Rock: Hulu's 2018 Original Series Is A Stephen King Mixtape That Rocks

Adapting Stephen King's The Shining: Revisiting The Controversy Over Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 Film

Adapting Stephen King's Cujo: Does The 1983 Classic Meet Its Full Horror Potential?

Adapting Stephen King's Firestarter: Does The 1984 Drew Barrymore Movie Still Have Heat?

Adapting Stephen King's The Raft: 1987's Creepshow 2 Floats A Gruesome Nightmare

Adapting Stephen King's The Body: Looking Back On The Nostalgic Beauty Of 1986’s Stand By Me

Adapting Stephen King's Pet Sematary: The 2019 Remake Is A Disappointing Exhibition Of Wasted Potential

Adapting Stephen King's The Running Man: Is 1987's Arnold Schwarzenegger Movie The Least 'Stephen King' Stephen King Film?

Adapting Stephen King's Under The Dome: The 2013 CBS Series Misses The Point Of The Novel

Adapting Stephen King's Carrie: The 2013 Movie Is The Epitome Of A Useless Remake

Adapting Stephen King's Children Of The Corn: The 2009 Remake Proves That More Faithful Doesn't Always Mean Better

Adapting Stephen King's Rita Hayworth And Shawshank Redemption: A History Of Frank Darabont’s 1994 Antidote To Cynicism

Adapting Stephen King's The Stand: A 1994 Miniseries Pulls Off The Impossible

Adapting Stephen King's Needful Things: The 1993 Movie Is Underrated, But The Hard-To-Find Extended Cut Is Even Better

Adapting Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The 2017 Movie Is An Insult To The Work Of Stephen King

Adapting Stephen King's The Colorado Kid: 2010 SyFy Series Haven Stretches The Definition Of 'Stephen King Adaptation

Adapting Stephen King's Dolores Claiborne: The 1995 Drama Proves Kathy Bates Isn’t In Enough King Movies

Adapting Stephen King's The Shining: The 1997 TV Miniseries Reenvisions The Overlook Hotel

8MM. 

Well… I wanted to turn it off at first because the AD kept skipping, but I’m glad I didn’t now. Cage had one bad moment, but is otherwise fantastic. Good thing it didn’t end the way I thought it would and the bad guys are so fucking good. Carter sounded like someone I recently liked seeing again, but I don’t understand why they used her as the voice of Machine’s mother. It would have been so great had it really been Mrs Christian (and what a name). Catherine Keener is horrible and disappears for most of the movie, but maybe that’s a good thing.

The score is obnoxiously loud and hyperactive, but that also means there are some moments of unexpected pure beauty. God, I love hearing senseless beatings and cursing villains. Is that okay?

Aquaman (2018) IMDb

F9207C32-1D26-4335-BB3E-36FE63AD3944.jpeg

This movie gets a lot of hate but undeservedly so. Sure it’s basic, but for what it is it’s just fine. It’s well directed, well scripted, well cast, well acted and well scored. The perfect popcorn movie if I ever saw one.

I’m looking forward to the sequel!

I was watching Snyder's Justice League yesterday. And two weeks ago we saw Black Adam. Not being a hater, but there's just something unfocused about DC movies. When I hear people complaining that the last act of Marvel movies always degenerates into CG noise I always think "No, that's a DC movie." Marvel movies (love 'em or hate 'em) are always much more dialed in, I think. There might be a lot going on (Endgame!) but you can always follow who is doing what and usually why.

I saw Aquaman. I didn't hate it. It gets a lot of mileage out of just having Jason Momoa.

Yes, I have never liked a single Guy Ritchie movie that I've seen (I've only seen Lock Stock, Snatch, and Sherlock).

Reservoir Dogs is highly regarded because it's just freakin' great.  Incredibly tense with amazing performances and just a lot of fun.  I guess Tarantino is like cilantro, a taste you either enjoy or hate.

One Cut of the Dead | Third Window Films

One Cut Of The Dead

Wow!  This low budget Japanese movie from 2017 has to be seen to be believed.  This is one of those rare movies that really sneaks up on you with how good and unique it is, which is so refreshing!  So many movies I want start with a good premise and a pretty good 1st and second act and then really peter out by the end, but this just builds and builds and gets more and more clever as it goes.

The entire first part of the movie is one long un-broken take showing a crew trying to film a low budget zombie movie at an abandoned plant, only for the director to release real zombies as a way to get better reactions from his actors... but is that the whole story?  It's best to know nothing more than that and just go in as blind as possible if you are interesting in checking it out.  This is a gem full of clever surprises.

It's on AMC+ & Shudder

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I guess Tarantino is like cilantro, a taste you either enjoy or hate.

Yeah, I have stayed away from Tarantino movies because I had a hunch they're not for me.

The only other one I've seen is Pulp fiction, and I was equally baffled.

38 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yeah, I have stayed away from Tarantino movies because I had a hunch they're not for me.

If you don't like Pulp Fiction I can't imagine what would change your mind. I lost my taste for QT after Kill Bill and I still think Pulp Fiction is awesome.

The flawed but fun Practical Magic is the Thelma and Louise of witch movies  - Vox

Practical Magic

OK we watched this film around Halloween time... WTF is this movie? It was not what I was expecting, but maybe that was my fault for not looking into it more before I agreed to watch it.  

Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman are witches in the modern day who have to hide their magic abilities...except when they don't... and live with their kooky witch aunts Stockard Channing and Dianne Wiest, until Kidman goes off on an adventure that leads to the sisters having to reunite to defeat an evil spirit thingy that had inhabited a guy she was dating.... or something.   Honestly there's a lot of random stuff in this movie, and surprisingly little magic.

I guess I can say I'm glad I finally saw it, but boy, what a weird movie!

It's on HBO Max

9 hours ago, Jay said:

One Cut of the Dead | Third Window Films

One Cut Of The Dead

Yes! I watched this a few years back and I was just thinking the other day about this movie but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it's called. 

I've never seen anything like it and it's not just clever, but also utterly hilarious. 

Yea, it's not very funny at first, but just keeps getting funnier and funnier. 

I can't believe there hasn't been a US remake yet! There's already been a French remake called Coupez!, scored by Alexandre Desplat

The Edge of Seventeen Cast: Every Actor and Performer

The Edge of Seventeen

Really nice coming of age story starring Hailee Steinfeld as Nadine, a bit of an outcast with a more popular older brother, and only one real friend Krista (Haley Lu Richardson, currently on The White Lotus Season 2).  The first real conflict emerges when Krista begins dating her brother, and further conflicts involving her mother (Kyra Sedgwick), and an errant text to a boy she likes all lead to fun scenes.

I like a good coming-of-age movie and this is a good one, with a nice supporting performance by Woody Harrelson and the only teacher at school Nadine is close with.

Heh, I tried One Cut Of The Dead over the Hallowe'en weekend and bailed halfway through ... far too pleased with its own cleverness for me, I'm afraid. 

Ah well, if we all liked the same things it'd be a dull world and all that. 

Oh man, I'd say you quit just before all the cleverness really started paying off.  It is a bit of a struggle to get through at first, for sure

On 13/11/2022 at 5:52 PM, filmmusic said:

The thing with Pulp Fiction is, before Pulp Fiction there was nothing like Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction changed the way, gangster movies were made. Before there was Scorsese and his Mafia films and chinese hong kong movies, that nobody watched in the western hemisphere (also that was changed by Pulp Fiction). If you are young and late to the party and first saw a bunch of all these other movies, that were influenced by Pulp Fiction, it might not be that spectacular. But this is the original.