What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

7 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Angel Heart scared the living daylights out of me the first time I saw it.  So much so that I hated it. 

Today, I think it's brilliant, dark, and still scary. Totally underappreciated, forgotten horror classic.

Angel Heart is too much of a Mickey Rourke ride.

Don't remember Jacob's Ladder

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I prefer Star Wars.

Me too really.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

After 43 years, TMP is still my favourite Star Trek film. I doubt that anything will change that.

More than Wrath of Khan? Strange...

15 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

More than Wrath of Khan? Strange...

Most people prefer The Wrath Of Kahn, it's more true to Star Trek. For some weird reason, ST: The Motion Picture wanted to be more like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Of course, just because it's slow doesn't mean they have achieved that goal.

The AC1 unit

53 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Most people prefer The Wrath Of Kahn, it's more true to Star Trek. For some weird reason, ST: The Motion Picture wanted to be more like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Of course, just because it's slow doesn't mean they have achieved that goal.

TWOK is more true to Star Trek in budget and scope, but STTMP is close to classic Trek as far as the story goes (it's even based on discarded material for the cancelled phase 2 show, like much of STTNG's first season). What they added from 2001 were the scope and the expensive special effects (and the pacing).

TWOK did become the model for the future Trek films (at least of the original universe), especially the better ones.

I’ve always loved Trek V. 

It’s loaded with great character interactions with Kirk, Spock and McCoy. 

It feels like a big TOS episode with a Space God that the crew must react to.  This was a very common Roddenberry theme. 

Although the visual effects are disappointing, the film is fun and has a lot of heart. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Yes, for all its faults, it has some of the best character bits in the entire film series.

29 minutes ago, Andy said:

I’ve always loved Trek V. 

It feels like a big TOS episode with a Space God that the crew must react to.  This was a very common Roddenberry theme. 

Although the visual effects are disappointing, the film is fun and has a lot of heart. 

I've always really enjoyed it too and I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks it's more like the original series than almost any of the other movies. It's weird as people often dismiss it as not being like Star Trek (I am sure I read that Gene Roddenberry didn't consider it canon) but a madman looking for god and taking over the Enterprise?! There's at least one of those type of story (or elements thereof) in every Trek series from the original to the current crop.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

STAR TREK V is a lot better than most people will tell you.

It has many faults, but, for all that, it is still a decent film.

Three things about it stand out:

1/ it has some of the best cinematography of the entire series,

2/ the sound design is great,

3/ every Star Trek fan should be falling to their knees at Shatner's feet, thanking him for bringing back Jerry Goldsmith.

Agreed on all three points, especially the last one. I've commented before but what the film lacks in awe and wonder (largely due to the dodgy effects, which aren't a patch on the rest of the films for well known reasons), Jerry does a great job in making you think you're seeing the Great Barrier or God or even just the wonderful reintroduction of the Enterprise (A Tall Ship) which is exactly what expanded releases are for, capturing those wonderful moments that weren't on the OST.

Yes, @Tom Guernsey, Roddenberry once described STAR TREK V as "apocryphal".

When he was shown an almost-complete cut of VI, just before he died, Roddenberry said: "At least it's better than the last one".

Another thing of note is Laurence Luckinbill. It would have been so easy to go over the top, with Sybok, but Luckinbill brings a great humanity, to the role. He really believes that he's on a mission from God. One of the themes of V was a response to - or, perhaps, piss-take of - all those televangelists, that were popular in the mid-to-late 80s (Roberts; Bakker, etc. The video for "Jesus He Knows Me" says much the same thing, but it's more explicit). 

The difference is that Sybok does think that he has been chosen, while the others always knew that what came out of their mouths was pure bullshit. 

Also, I'm a sucker for David Warner :) 

In the wake of the extended editions of TMP, II, and VI, Shatner went to Paramount to ask if he could re-cut V and add new special effects. He wanted one million dollars. Paramount refused.

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In the wake of the extended editions of TMP, II, and VI, Shatner went to Paramount to ask if he could re-cut V and add new special effects. He wanted one million dollars. Paramount refused.

That’s a crying shame. $1M is a drop in the bucket. Love or hate him, Shatner is a Legend, and an elder of Trek Royalty.  He is in the twilight of his years.  Let him have his fun with his film to sell more copies to the delight of us Trekkies.  

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

V was a response to - or, perhaps, piss-take of - all those televangelists, that were popular in the mid-to-late 80s (Roberts; Bakker, etc. The video for "I Can't Dance" says much the same thing, but it's more explicit). 

1m11 You mean, Jesus He Knows Me?

@filmmusic, have you noticed that Regula One is just an upside down version of the structure that Kirk beams into, before Scotty takes him over to The Enterprise, in TMP?

3 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

My sister's favorite ST film.

It was, also, my late friend's favourite film, of all time. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to watch it, again.

14 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@filmmusic, have you noticed that Regula One is just an upside down version of the structure that Kirk beams into, before Scotty takes him over to The Enterprise, in TMP?

Rumour has it the station will make an appearance in Picard Season 3 as well.

The first wives club.

Pretty good, although I definitely didn’t have as much fun at the end, but still had a great time. The women are fantastic. Victor Garber?! Aww, Mr Andrews… I miss him. Why did he have to die…? Auction scene also took too long.

The score is quite nice, but something really weird happened during a dance sequence. I suddenly heard a different song coming through the headphones that I was wearing to hear the audio description. Is this some other licencing-related madness? Never heard of a movie where European and American audiences heard different source music.

9 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I've always really enjoyed it too and I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks it's more like the original series than almost any of the other movies. It's weird as people often dismiss it as not being like Star Trek (I am sure I read that Gene Roddenberry didn't consider it canon) but a madman looking for god and taking over the Enterprise?! There's at least one of those type of story (or elements thereof) in every Trek series from the original to the current crop.

Agreed on all three points, especially the last one. I've commented before but what the film lacks in awe and wonder (largely due to the dodgy effects, which aren't a patch on the rest of the films for well known reasons), Jerry does a great job in making you think you're seeing the Great Barrier or God or even just the wonderful reintroduction of the Enterprise (A Tall Ship) which is exactly what expanded releases are for, capturing those wonderful moments that weren't on the OST.

While I would say TPM is objectively the greater work, Star Trek V still remains my favorite Trek score. And I love it so much to the point I refuse to watch the film, precisely for the reasons you've stated, as I fear nothing in it will live up to the mystic grandeur the music conveys and I don't want to shatter the illusion

I always say I'll watch this movie (mainly due to the score which I'd like to hear in context), but something holds me.

I think they're saying it's terrifying? I'm not sure, maybe I confuse it with another film.

On 28/01/2023 at 4:37 PM, filmmusic said:

MV5BNmZiZmM2OTUtZDlmOC00YzYyLThkMGEtZWFk

Well, the first film is more impressive visually than this (and musically), but this has better character development and story.

My birthday movie. We watched it yesterday. I think I was more moved by this than I ever have been.

Of the cast in the opening credits (including guest stars) only three remain. And I always cheer at James Horner's walk on.

It is the cheapest of the Star Trek movies and there are lots of ways where this is where Star Trek went wrong. (They stopped being characters with jobs and became permanent roles instead.) And watching Kirstie Alley in Khan yesterday I realized what a unique and singular performance Saavik was and we would not see the like again. And for Nimoy's film directorial debut, I don't know what we can blame on his own inexperience, the studio, the budget, the film crew, or what. He grows up a lot in the next two years.

But this is the first movie where the supporting players all got something to do. It introduces that damned Bird of Prey that is appearing in Star Trek even now. And it has another home run score. I love the score to... Well, all of them. But 1, 2, and 3 all in a row. Wow. Of all the expansions we got around 10 years ago, this was the most revelatory. 1 is a treasure, I like having all the notes from 2. But getting the balance of 3 almost makes it a different score. You get the glue that holds all the big set pieces together. Somewhat the same with Wrath of Khan with all of the Regula music, but there was much more mood and contour missing from 3. That timpani roll when the Enterprise explodes makes me catch my breath every time.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I. LOVE. STAR. TREK. III.

A warm blanket movie for me.  An old friend.  It's always been my sentimental favorite over II.

Genesis is planet forbidden! 

Aside from Star Trek V, which deserves its place at the bottom of the list, in terms of most to least favourite I rank the original cast films in release order.  TMP is by far my favourite, and stands on its own in terms of both a Star Trek & science fiction film.

3-2-4-1-6-5

I assumed 5 was the lowest grossing too but actually Nemesis managed to make less unadjusted!  It made less money in 2002 dollars than Final Frontier made in 1989 dollars!  Ouch.

Chronicle (2012)

MV5BYmRkY2RhM2QtMjQwNC00NDVjLTk4MTQtZGNi

The first hour is okay and gives you an idea of what it must be like to suddenly have superpowers but the film loses points with its over-the-top finale. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the source of inspiration for the finale of Snyder's Man Of Steel