What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Atonement.

Oh God. Well, I liked the second half the most and it’s quite unbelievable how different it was from the first one. Still love Keira Knightley, but I’m also definitely getting tired of the upper-class British accent, and yes, that really is all down to Brexit. Stupid idiots. Cumberbatch is fantastic too and I suspected him from the start, for some reason. And that soldier talking about how he’d sort it all out was priceless. And then he became so very moving. How many more movies like this do we need before humanity realises war is kind of a bad idea? Oh, right, I forgot, we need mankind to use their collective brain power for that. Apologies. Maybe having more women in power would advance us a couple of steps.

The score is very good, but I don’t really know if I’d have given it the Oscar in the year that both Pirates 3 and The Simpsons Movie came out. The way the sound effects mingle with some cues is truly amazing, though, and the moment the soldiers sang Dear Lord and Father of All Mankind and the orchestra played those chords that didn’t belong there at all, but at the same time totally did, was… no words. I’m not going to hope this is on the OST, I’ll just be disappointed. Just like the film, the second half of the score was easily the best. But, really, think about it. Who has ever visited Poland anyway? Just give it to them, it’s all about empire, innit?

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

The score is very good, but I don’t really know if I’d have given it the Oscar in the year that both Pirates 3 and The Simpsons Movie came out.

you think the Simpsons movie deserved to win an Oscar for its score?

I remember it was good, but I need to re-listen after your comment.

Strange Days - mid-90s Kathryn Bigelow cyberpunk thriller co-written by James Cameron that bombed at the box-office. It's technically impressive, has Ralph Fiennes in a less-than-typical lead role and raises pertinent questions about voyeurism, abuse of power etc. But at 145 minutes, it's a bit of a slog towards the end and hard not to feel that it could've been a good 15 minutes shorter at least.

23 hours ago, filmmusic said:

MV5BMWEzNmUxZTMtZjY0My00OGNmLWIyNDctODM2

I thought to take a break from watching Star Trek films. 

A somewhat silly but enjoyable vampire film. Again, I'm not so sure I needed to purchase this. I had seen it in the past and thought I liked it enough to own it, but now that I saw it again...

If you'd watched it between IV and V it would have been chronological.

42 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

MV5BYzJiZDdmODQtMDM0Yi00ZTcwLWJjMjItM2Qx

Better than V, that's for sure, but still it felt like a long TV episode. Great score though. (Where is Cliff Eidelman?)Anyway..My final ranking would be:

II-I-VI-IV-III-V

Something like this perhaps...

Much though I love STVI, I would have to agree that it has a somewhat constrained tv feel. It’ll always have a special memory of watching it on Christmas Day year ago when everyone had gone to bed, possibly the first time I ever saw it. However it does feel kinda cheap in places: Rura Pente should be an epic ice cavern but is all standard issue Star Trek pokey caves, while the Klingon courtroom is cool (and the scene is brilliantly filmed and staged) but they managed to recreate it on Enterprise’s tv budget years later. Still you can’t help but enjoy the nostalgia of the original crew’s last adventure together and the ILM effect are great, especially the battle at the end and lovely flying off into the sunset finale shot. It is a shame Cliff Eidelman’s career never got the lift off from this than James Horner did but it’s a great score. The slow buildup opening title is great - as I’ve said many times, that the only thing I’d change about ST:TMP’s score would be to use some of the V’Ger material for the opening credits for a full on ominous start and you only get the full epic burst of the main theme with The Enterprise (although I’m apparently in a minority of one in this view lol). 

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

If you'd watched it between IV and V it would have been chronological.

@filmmusic Voyage Home - 1986, Lost Boys - 1987, The Final Frontier - 1989.

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

MV5BYzJiZDdmODQtMDM0Yi00ZTcwLWJjMjItM2Qx

Better than V, that's for sure, but still it felt like a long TV episode. Great score though. (Where is Cliff Eidelman?)Anyway..My final ranking would be:

II-I-VI-IV-III-V

Something like this perhaps...

Not my ordering but certainly a fair one. VI's biggest drawback is Meyer not knowing what he's writing outside of the broad strokes. The script is one step removed from "The Klingons do something unbeatable but the crew does something really smart and beats them." Like the two henchmen. "Now they will randomly say racist things about the Klingons." And they... do?

It's the last hurrah. It could have been better. I always suspect it was another rewrite or two away from something terrific.

For me:

We saw Groundhog Day at the theater tonight. Just one of the best movies. Murray is so good. And not just at being funny and snarky. He manages to hit some wonderfully actual emotional notes. It's a classic.

I think I noticed the score more than I ever have. George Fenton. Not bad.

Batman 89

Apparently the location for the beginning of the dinner scene (Knebworth House) is the location used for the "Don't You Forget About Me" and the Mallory Gallery from "Great Muppet Caper"

Croupier - combine Clive Owen's 'detached' title character from this cool, snappy late 90s thriller and his ruthlessly efficient assassin from the first Bourne, and you have a very strong argument that he definitely had Bond in him. Also features a smokin' hot Alex Kingston with her kit off, if you like that sort of thing  :lovethis: . 

A career bookended by 2 gritty thrillers (Get Carter and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, again with Owen) with the likes of all manner of sci-fi (The Terminal Man, Flash Gordon, Morons From Outer Space), a Jack Higgins adap (A Prayer For The Dying), and a supernatural thriller (Black Rainbow) in between.     

Being a fan of the Conjuring and Annabelle movies, I picked up the Blu ray 'Conjuring Universe' box recently, with Conjuring 3 and The Nun being the two I'd never actually seen.

The only one I was a tad disappointed in was the third Conjuring where it felt they had moved away from the paranormal, 'scare' element a bit, and more into a mystery drama involving a satanic cult. I actually agree with the RT consensus that overall it's just not that scary.

Also unexpected was the music - Bishara's OST is just 45 minutes and upon seeing the end credits I can see why. The editors tracked in music from approximately a dozen other soundtracks - maybe temp-tracks they decided to leave in. The album ends with a pretty unremarkable, dissonant suspense cue, whereas the film ends with a couple of emotional tracks from other films and Isham's 'family' theme from the first movie.

Apparently the 'goofs' in The Conjuring 2 include (despite it being about the Enfield Haunting and therefore set in late-70s England) houses with PVC-frame double-glazing and TVs that appear to receive more than 3 channels.   

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Being a fan of the Conjuring and Annabelle movies, I picked up the Blu ray 'Conjuring Universe' box recently, with Conjuring 3 and The Nun being the two I'd never actually seen.

I thought the Nun was quite good, better than I was expecting.  I liked the gothic Hammer feel to it.

My daughter and I love these cheap scares, so I bought her the Annabelle replica at a Halloween store for 50% off.  Trouble is, the factory paint job made it decidedly non-frightening, so here's the before and after of my repaint:

IMG_5353.JPG

3:10 to Yuma. Really solid and reliable remake by James Mamgold. Haven't seen this since its original release some 16 years ago. Nothing particularly remarkable but it holds up really well. Good score from Marco Beltrami as well.

Karol

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I thought the Nun was quite good, better than I was expecting.  I liked the gothic Hammer feel to it.

My daughter and I love these cheap scares, so I bought her the Annabelle replica at a Halloween store for 50% off.  Trouble is, the factory paint job made it decidedly non-frightening, so here's the before and after of my repaint:

Oh man, I simultaneously want and don't want one of those :lol:

I absolutely love these cheap scare type films, although I tend to like the ones that veer a little towards the psychological paranormal element, instead of gore and monsters jumping out.

I also liked The Nun - the Nun itself is properly scary with those eyes and the way it floats. This was my second viewing of the Conjuring 2 and I liked it even more than the first time. I'd recommend Grave Encounters and its sequel if you haven't already seen it.

MV5BZWFjYmZmZGQtYzg4YS00ZGE5LTgwYzAtZmQw

A visual masterpiece!

Sets, costumes, visual effects, audio effects.. all first rate!

Some may find the Chris Tucker character irritating, but I found him funny enough (especially during the attack at the opera house and after). To be honest I found the Jovovich character more irritating.

Jojo Rabbit - satirical comedy-drama written and directed by and starring Takia Wakiki in which a young German boy (Roman Griffin Davis) is such a fanatical member of the Hitler Youth his imaginary friend is an avuncular version of the Fuhrer himself (Wakiki). However, when he discovers his mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin Mackenzie) at their house, his perspective begins to shift. 

This movie is a delight, managing to be very funny whilst not pulling its punches about the evils of Nazism. Also starring Sam Rockwell, Rebel Wilson, Alfie Allen and Stephen Merchant. 

On 04/02/2023 at 11:59 PM, bollemanneke said:

and the moment the soldiers sang Dear Lord and Father of All Mankind and the orchestra played those chords that didn’t belong there at all, but at the same time totally did, was… no words. I’m not going to hope this is on the OST

It is.

Recently we watched Godzilla. The Raymond Burr version. It is such a bad film. The Burr parts completely take you out of the movie

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Yesterday I watched Seabiscuit (2003) for the first time. Not a perfect movie, but that's cute. I watched it mainly because of the excellent Randy Newman score, of course!

... and Chris Cooper, and The Dude :)

22 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Some may find the Chris Tucker character irritating, but I found him funny enough (especially during the attack at the opera house and after). To be honest I found the Jovovich character more irritating.

Sure he's irritating, but I figure he's supposed to be. I love Jovovich in this (and Ian Holm, of course).

the fifth element multipass GIF

On 4/2/2023 at 3:18 PM, filmmusic said:

If only it had a beautiful untealed grainy 4k UHD release too. But nooooooo....

(thank God for 35mm fan scans which preserve the original look)

MV5BOWNjMGQ2NTYtNWZlMS00Nzk4LWE5ZDQtNWFh

I love this movie. Not as much as Bram Stoker's Dracula, but still it's an excellent piece of cinematic direction, and I don't understand why some people hate it.

It has a great score, cinematography, sets, costumes, make-up etc., a very good performance by DeNiro and I love the overly melodramatic tone.

The Arrow 4k UHD comes highly recommended!

The vaguely reminds me of the original Return of the Jedi poster.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sure he's irritating, but I figure he's supposed to be. I love Jovovich in this (and Ian Holm, of course).

the fifth element multipass GIF

The whole cast is wonderful. One of my all time favorites. I just watched this again recently too. I’m always amazed at how well the special effects hold up. One of the few sci-fi flicks that create a believable future, where McDonald’s still exists and there’s garbage everywhere.

The new release of A. Silvestri's score for Shattered brought back some fun memories. I had to rewatch it.

This movie is so cheesy and funny.

It's really a stereotype of the early 90s Hollywood thriller.

The steamy sex flashbacks are so hillarious!

A fun rewatch!

9 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Why? What didn't you like?

By the way, the thing that I didn't like much, was the main musical theme.

Oh man I love that, it's so catchy! 

27 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Why? What didn't you like?

It's very difficult to put my finger on it but I generally don't like Terry Gilliam's movies. I guess it mostly has to do with his style, his idea of filmmaking. Same for Wes Anderson. It looks good but everything else doesn't appeal to me. I did enjoy Tideland, oddly enough. 

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do you prefer LA JETÉE?

Never saw it but a sci-fi movie from 1962? How good can it be? 

14 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Never saw it but a sci-fi movie from 1962? How good can it be? 

METROPOLIS - a science fiction film from 1927... stunning.

FRANKENSTEIN - a science fiction film from 1931... brilliant. 

KING KONG - a science fiction film from 1933... great.

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN - a science fiction film from 1935... brilliant.

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL - a science fiction film from 1951... awesome.

WAR OF THE WORLDS - a science fiction film from 1953... brilliant.

FORBIDDEN PLANET - a science fiction film from 1956... fucking awesome.

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN - a science fiction film from 1957... great.

THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE - a science fiction film from 1961... brilliant.

Would you like me to continue? ;)

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

METROPOLIS - a science fiction film from 1927... stunning.

I have purchased the Eureka steelbook of this, but I don't know.. I guess I'm not into silent films. I was bored to death. Mind you, I only saw it once, maybe I'll see it again to re-evaluate, or sell it.

Don't do the latter!!!

METROPOLIS is a masterpiece of German expressionism, and, possibly, the masterpiece of German expressionism (although M gives it a run for its money).

Perhaps you'll grow into it; perhaps you won't. Whatever you do (or don't do), METROPOLIS is among the greatest and most important, and most influential films ever made, and it deserves a place in any discerning film fan's collection.

Grumpy old men.

Pretty good! I considered turning it off at first because I really didn’t like Ann-Margret, but I’m happy I didn’t now. Definitely liked Jack Lemmon and Burgess Meredith the best.

And the score is excellent! I honestly do not understand what Marvel was thinking, or why Silvestri even bothered to write for them. This score is so vibrant and the recording couldn’t possibly be better. Loved the celesta contributions. And the sound mix is incredibly dynamic. Maybe even a bit too.

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

And the score is excellent!

I see there is no official release, just a bootleg. Pity...

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/33273/Grumpy+Old+Men

I don't remember the score (neither the film for that matter), but I 'd like to listen to it after your comments.