What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Nope, the Swedish title translates to Men Who Hate Women, as mentioned.

And Tim, there's an extended version of each film out there. When they made the three films, they made a 6-episode tv-series out of it as well. It's basically each movie extended, cut into two parts and opened up to a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. They were released on home video hear as Extended Editions. I haven't seen those (I've only seen the first film's theatrical version and neither of the other two films), but if you found this first film too short or rushed, you might want to seek out the extended cut.

Happened to watch Paul today, which is about as rubbish as it looks, but also rather enjoyable in a daft sort of way. Squeezes in a ton of eighties movie references and the Spielberg cameo genuinely made me giggle. Williams popped up twice as well. Pegg and his sidekick whatsisface were both affable enough and the alien itself didn't irritate as much as I thought it might. Worth a watch when there's nowt else to do.

Ah, Aliens.

Aliens would be one of my films "to see before I die". I don't know what it is, but it just makes me happy, despite most of the characters dying and with Ripley and Newt most likely not in a good mind state.

The Tree of Life

I'm disappointed at the film. There are several sequences that I completely LOVED and others that I didn't like, all of them mixed up in the same film. It felt truncated at some points, and wandered around barely doing anything until becoming boring at times.

Sean Penn isn't doing much for the film but I love the scene where

he goes through the door in the desert and then finds himself as young.

The ending was a letdown.

There's this huge buildup to death with doors and stairs and the return of the cosmic point of view, and then bluff.

It's not exactly a story/character type of film. You're not being taken by the hand. You're watching actively. I, for one, found it really cool.

Scream 4. Hilarious. The point is criticizing the film is pointless, cause it criticizes itself!

Karol

I'm waiting for the Blu-ray. I'm not the biggest Malick fan in town (I like him but I don't go nuts about his movies) but this seems like a pleasant film to watch in HD. I heard it got dinosaurs too.

Happened to watch Paul today, which is about as rubbish as it looks, but also rather enjoyable in a daft sort of way. Squeezes in a ton of eighties movie references and the Spielberg cameo genuinely made me giggle. Williams popped up twice as well. Pegg and his sidekick whatsisface were both affable enough and the alien itself didn't irritate as much as I thought it might. Worth a watch when there's nowt else to do.

ET-esque musical finale was one of the most pleasant surprises this year.

It's too long for 99% of the Earth's population. That other 1% like to think they're special.

What should be the limit then, because from what I recall you're a big fan of The Lord Of The Rings, with Return Of The King clocking in over 4 hours alone.

A film should be as long as it needs to be. The Tree Of Life could use some additional footage, 6 hours worth? No. There was a scene shown in the trailer that ended up being a single frame in the theatrical cut. I would personally like to see that added in to the mix.

The Bishop's Wife. Cute Christmas fantasy about an angel helping a suburban family, only a year after It's a Wonderful Life. Cary Grant carries the whole film effortlessly, as always, that charming SOB. Great score by Hugo Friedhofer!

Last night I watched Scream and Scream 2, both on blu. I would not consider myself a horror fan but this is the one horror franchise that I truly enjoy. I plan on watching Scream 3 tonight if I can finish up my work early enough. I'll be picking up Scream 4 probably next weekend.

The Troll Hunter. Essentially Blair Witch Project with trolls. A lot of fun, and surprisingly exciting in some places. I love the huge homage to the story of the 3 Billygoats Gruff. Recommended if you don't mind a bit of daft fun for 40 minutes.

Continuing my classic movies crusade: North by Northwest.

Pretty damn good, second Hitchcock film this week. Loved the score too - surprised to find the complete score is on spotify. Then I remembered the blu-ray has an isolated score, so just got that from Amazon... (the studios cannot possibly argue that rentals make them no money)

Pulp Fiction

My favorite Tarantino and personally one of my Top 10s. The new Blu release is fantastic. I feel like I've discovered so much more out of this film than I ever have before. There are so many subtle bits of Tarantino's style that I've never picked up on before. Uma Thurman's character and the entire Jack Rabbit Slim's sequence embodies most of his filmmaking charm. The outlined square before they enter, the long take following Travolta, and the way Thurman says, "Fox as we're a bunch of foxy chicks. Force as we're a force to be reckoned with. Five as there's one, two, three, four, five of us." I love it. There was also a sense of comradery between certain characters that felt new to me, all of it tying back to Chris Walken's monologue. Between Travolta and Jackson, most obviously, but most notably between Butch and Marcellus in the rape scene. Seeing it again like this was amazing, and the new surround sound track is frickin' awesome.

The Lion King

The opening scene is nothing short of brilliant. One of the finest examples of music and visuals coming together to make movie magic. Excellent voice acting and a colorful cast of characters make this my favorite animated film.

50/50

A well-made dramedy that's very heavy on the drama. I teared up a lot throughout, with Seth Rogen there to provide the comic relief. Excellent film that will probably be forgotten, but one that'll be worth revisiting in the future. Some interesting camerawork makes it a more unique experience from other films of similar plot.

Kelly's Heroes

I had never seen the entire movie before I picked it up cheaply on DVD. Maybe the middle section a few times. So last night was a treat to watch the entire movie. It wasn't until the ending, the confrontation with the final Tiger tank that I realized something.

It's a western. Not in the traditional sense, because it's set in WWII soon after D-Day as the Allies march to Berlin. No. It's still a WWII movie. But it's fictitious enough, with the theme of a ragtag group sticking together to basically go treasure hunting in enemy country. The Germans are serviceable substitutes for the Indians, what with the convoy attack at the minefield, and their sheer lack of military logic they present as Cowboy rings the church bell for far longer than any 12 hours that a bell should ring. That kind of stretched the believability of it.

What really capped it was the Leone-like way the trio of stars -- Savalas, Eastwood, and Sutherland -- dramatically walk up to the Tiger, which could have blasted them at any moment, as if to offer a truce before the standoff. The Schifrin-score worked well in that moment. And then the way the German officer's eyes lit up at the thought of a share of the 16 million...it makes the next shot a laugh-out loud moment. Very enjoyable movie.

Oh, and it was cool to see Uncle Leo (?) so many years before his Seinfeld days, but without me ever knowing he was in this film.

I didn't pay that close of attention to the score before seeing the movie, and I haven't made the time to listen to it since yesterday. I apologize for not being as academic as you in my analysis.

But then again, don't you only listen to Morricone? You'd have the natural ear to pick out westerns and those who homage him.

The only time I listened to the soundtrack was while I was busily working, so the only music I remembered was the Burning Bridges song; all else was background noise to drown out the sounds of a busy workplace. That seems so long ago now that I didn't remember the score when I watched the movie.

As far as watching YouTube videos, I can't until my "condition" improves. But thanks anyways.

Solitary Man: Michael Douglas is the center of every scene. Luckily, the dialogue that he had to work with is good stuff. This movie is a real surprise. Not a blunt comedy but a bitter, social tragicomedy for the mature viewer about a typical male problem seen from a male perspective.

solitary_man_poster_01.jpg

Alex

The Thing, 2011. Surprisingly effective. A nice set up to a superior film from 1982, which was an inferior film to the Original film The Thing from Another World.

I enjoyed all three.

If you saw the Carpenter film then you know how this film ends.

my one nagging question, why would a group of scientists have flame throwers in the Antarctic?