What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Oh yes, I misunderstood. But I don't think it has that much re-watch value. It's a one trick pony. Rear Window, on the other hand, is endlessly watchable. But then again, that's a much bigger playground.

Karol

However, I do remember RocketMan, starring Harland Williams, being hilarious, and it was set on Mars.

Thank God, someone else likes that movie. :lol: Didn't really make money, though.

Me too! It's not highbrow, but it's excellent at what it does. Fun score, too. I'd pick up an Intrada release.

But I don't think it has that much re-watch value. It's a one trick pony. Rear Window, on the other hand, is endlessly watchable. But then again, that's a much bigger playground.

Well said. Although I must say that Open Water isn't a one trick pony either. I felt Buried was pretty shallow and didn't achieve what it could've achieved. The film never succeeded to put me in the coffin.

Alex

But I don't think it has that much re-watch value. It's a one trick pony. Rear Window, on the other hand, is endlessly watchable. But then again, that's a much bigger playground.

Well said. Although I must say that Open Water isn't a one trick pony either. I felt Buried was pretty shallow and didn't achieve what it could've achieved. The film never succeeded to put me in the coffin.

Alex

No movie about a man in a box can be better then Spoorloos, anyway....

I started to watch that and got to just after Shatner stepped out of a box to meet Kate. I will watch it again when I can devote my full attention in my recliner, instead of at the computer.

me too but it is lunch time. I need some decent chinese, but that's a good 150 miles away.

Went with some friends to catch a Hunger Games matinee this afternoon. I was curious with all the hype and the very positive reviews, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. It was well cast and performed. Having never read the books I thought the world was laid out very well, and once the action shifts to the Games itself it doesn't hold much back. I'm on board to check out the next one. The only thing that bothered me: way way WAY too much unneeded shakycam, particularly in the first part of the movie.

The Artist

It's all very pleasant. But remind me why did it win so many awards? It's seems like the Academy is just self-indulging itself and that's it. There is nothing remarkable about it.

Karol

Last night I watched the Hunger Games.

Before going in, I was EXTREMELY skeptical. In fact, I was downright prepared to hate it. Judging from all these trailers and promos, I couldn't see a good film. I'm a fan of the novel that I found pretty entertaining with great material. The trilogy progressively turned to the worse with a terrible conclusion, but the first novel was great. The film didn't look like it could accurately capture the novel's positive attributes and it looked like it would essentially focus too much on the "love triangle".

BUT, I was pleasantly surprised. I must say that it was quite an enjoyable film. Is it great? Not in my opinion. But it was good. I believe Lawrence gave a strong performance, and the romantic relationships weren't as blown up as I thought it would be. For those expecting Twilight, this is most definitely NOT like that. However, the film had its flaws. Some parts were really over the top, some of the visual effects were pretty bad, and I believe the film failed to keep everything together in the end. I was quite disappointed with the ending as it was quite anticlimactic, especially when compared to the book. But overall, it was a good film and I enjoyed.

However, the audience was terribly irritating. Yes, I should have expected that during opening night for a movie as big as this, but it still bothered me. People were oohing and aahhing at the most insensible moments. And then whenever Lawrence and Hutcherson would appear together for a bit, the audience would "oohhhhh" and at times call out some Twilight remark. When the camera went in the direction of Gale, you can't possibly imagine the amount of people who went shouting "JACOB". And then when the movie was over, I heard some people going "That was easily the greatest film ever made". It just made me think, how naive can mainstream audiences be? I apologize if that makes me seem elitist, but it just seems ignorant to me.

As for the score, very disappointing as heard on film. There were the occaisonal moments of beauty that is common with JNH's lyrical writing, but other than that, the score largely lacks memorability. There are no standout themes, no big action highlights, and no real musical moments to connect to on film, which is pretty sad. I heard some lyrical highlights of interest, but thats it. However, this score might be better on album. I'll wait for the album and then you can hear what I've got to say in my review :P

I've never sat through a whole Twilight movie or cracked open one of the books, but I can't see how you can possibly compare The Hunger Games to it in more than the most superficial ways. Substantively they're nothing alike. (That's not directed solely at you KK, I know there's lots of people doing it)

Yes it's the only "Mars" film in recent history to make any money.

"War Of The Worlds" (2005) was not set on Mars, granted, but it is implied that the antagonists came from that planet.

It's not, because the narrator says that the aliens watched earth as "through a microscope", therefore, they must be far away.

I've never sat through a whole Twilight movie or cracked open one of the books, but I can't see how you can possibly compare The Hunger Games to it in more than the most superficial ways. Substantively they're nothing alike. (That's not directed solely at you KK, I know there's lots of people doing it)

I never compared it to Twilight. In fact I explicitly stated its nothing like Twilight. I just found the obnoxious need for the audience to make Twilight allegories while watching the film to be terribly annoying. Some idiot shouted "Jacob" when Gale came on screen. The film and book is nothing like Twilight!

However, the audience was terribly irritating. Yes, I should have expected that during opening night for a movie as big as this, but it still bothered me. People were oohing and aahhing at the most insensible moments. And then whenever Lawrence and Hutcherson would appear together for a bit, the audience would "oohhhhh" and at times call out some Twilight remark. When the camera went in the direction of Gale, you can't possibly imagine the amount of people who went shouting "JACOB". And then when the movie was over, I heard some people going "That was easily the greatest film ever made". It just made me think, how naive can mainstream audiences be? I apologize if that makes me seem elitist, but it just seems ignorant to me.

I hope that won;t happen when I see it . I think some group of fans focus entirely on the love interests parts. Same was true with Harry Potter

The "average" distance between the Earth and Mars is 78,341,212 Km.

Which is far away...

It's just 6-8 months of travel. Less if you start using some proper propulsion instead of just transfer orbits.

Ok, so it is crap?

Alright, let me break it down just for you Stefan :)

Hunger Games = not crap

It's not, because the narrator says that the aliens watched earth as "through a microscope", therefore, they must be far away.

You're thinking telescope.

A microscope is used to examine objects that are too small to see with the naked eye, such as microscopic creatures in a drop of liquid on a slide of glass placed just inches from the viewer's eyes.

A telescope is used to examine objects that are too far away to see with the naked eye, such as other planets or stars.

As Chaac said, telescope would be too obvious of an analogy. Of course the Martians would use telescopes to find this planet and see what we were up to.

But a microscope...that is a powerful metaphor that firmly establishes the Martians felt themselves to be far superior to us. It means they saw us as mere pests to conquer and exterminate for our resources. It's also strangely prophetic because the "real" microbes would be their downfall.

The text is close enough to be effective.

H.G. Wells:

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

Morgan Freeman:

No one would have believed in the early years of the 21st century that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns, *they* observed and studied, the way a man with a microscope might scrutinize the creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

Though I definitely prefer the Richard Burton narration...

About the conclusion of the 3rd Hunger Game book, your right it wasn't a great conclusion

Katniss accomplishes absolutely nothing in her mission to infiltrate Snow's mansion . She gets most of her team killed, then gets injured herself and blacks out. We skip to when she wakes up in a hospital and the war is over. The rebels have won the war but she had nothing to do with it, no heroic deed that tipped the balance. We are just given some kind of explanation of what happened by other characters

Then the rest of the book is about her dealing with her depression and wanting to kill herself and doing absolutely nothing the reader can cheer about. She kills Coin, but it's viewed as an act of insanity.

And for those who the "love triangle" was important, it's just resolved as an afterthought in the last paragraph of the book

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, Wojo...

You're thinking telescope.

A microscope is used to examine objects that are too small to see with the naked eye, such as microscopic creatures in a drop of liquid on a slide of glass placed just inches from the viewer's eyes.

A telescope is used to examine objects that are too far away to see with the naked eye, such as other planets or stars.

As Chaac said, telescope would be too obvious of an analogy. Of course the Martians would use telescopes to find this planet and see what we were up to.

But a microscope...that is a powerful metaphor that firmly establishes the Martians felt themselves to be far superior to us. It means they saw us as mere pests to conquer and exterminate for our resources. It's also strangely prophetic because the "real" microbes would be their downfall.

The text is close enough to be effective.

H.G. Wells:

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

Morgan Freeman:

No one would have believed in the early years of the 21st century that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns, *they* observed and studied, the way a man with a microscope might scrutinize the creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

Though I definitely prefer the Richard Burton narration...