What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Watched The Adventures of Tintin for the second time. My initial (and very positive) opinion remains intact. Disappointed how the American audience didn't seem to embrace this film - this is the best Spielberg in a while. And Williams' score is a big part of that.

Karol

I don't know, man. I didn't dislike Tintin by any means, but it wasn't that good. It was a flashy, loud popcorn-munching affair, nothing more or less. I don't think history will look back on it as anything on the level of Spielberg's great live action flicks or even modern animated films. For me, it just kinda came and went and we got an entertaining John Williams score out if it to mix things up between listening to HIS great stuff. As for Spielberg's best in a while, I'll say since 2005.

It was a flashy, loud popcorn-munching affair, nothing more or less.

That has nothing to to with quality, and this film has got quality in spades. If it isn't remembered it won't make it any less good.

Watched The Adventures of Tintin for the second time. My initial (and very positive) opinion remains intact. Disappointed how the American audience didn't seem to embrace this film - this is the best Spielberg in a while.

Oh, I enjoyed it. Quit grouping us up into one big demographic! :crymore:

That's the bad as well. Leone wasn't thinking straight at the time.

Back to those fake knockers? I preferred your previous avatar, Steef.

Yes it's the only "Mars" film in recent history to make any money.

"War Of The Worlds" (2005) was not set on Mars, granted, but it is implied that the antagonists came from that planet.

It's not, because the narrator says that the aliens watched earth as "through a microscope", therefore, they must be far away.

"As through a microscope", Alex, "as through a microscope".

Anyway, the H.G. Welles novel had the antoganists coming from Mars, even if the chances were "a million to one".

The tag-line, however, is deliberately ambiguous: "They're already here".

Has anyone seen Nannerl (about Mozart's sister) and Copying Beethoven, and (besides the historical inaccuracies) are they any good?

Hot Fuzz.

This one is hilarious.

If it isn't remembered it won't make it any less good.

?

We usually forget the bad and remember the good.

We forget the good as well. We remember a fraction of the good.

Why? Because they didn't impress enough to leave a lasting imprint ... which is a sign of mediocrity. Of course, all this is still taste related and there's always that one exception.

You're chaacing again. Soon you'll try to make us believe that we forget the best movies first.

Water for Elephants

Watched it with the family. I enjoyed it. Pattinson's character was very sympathetic, which made hating him for simply being "that Twilight guy" impossible once the movie started going. That, and I can relate to film protagonists of Polish descent, being of similar ancestry myself. It was also nice to see a period romance with a happy ending <cough Titanic cough>.

Water for Elephants

Watched it with the family. I enjoyed it. Pattinson's character was very sympathetic, which made hating him for simply being "that Twilight guy" impossible once the movie started going. That, and I can relate to film protagonists of Polish descent, being of similar ancestry myself. It was also nice to see a period romance with a happy ending <cough Ti Tanic cough>.

Well in fairness you need to see Ti Tanic next week, according to reports Cameron has pulled a Lucas and in the end the Ti Tanic sails into port, her pumps able to keep the ship afloat, and Jack and Rose live happily ever after with the fortune they make from the Heart of the Ocean.

'Cuz I didn't use spoiler tags? I ain't usin' no spoiler tags for no Tin Tin Tanic movie. We all know it sank, and if you don't, you're an idiot and should return your internet license.

As for allegedly spoiling the end of Water for Elephants -- haha, like you guys watch romances -- allow me to clarify that I'm a sick twisted s.o.b. What I consider a happy ending might differ from others here.

I saw Hunger Games

Overall it was a pretty accurate adaptation of the novel. There are flaws in the film, like most of the special effects (cityscapes, CGI creatures) are really shoddy by today's standard and the action scenes could have been better directed (way too blurry). The violence from the books was also too toned down . But what holds this film together is the cast. Stellar acting from everyone involved. We rarely see Oscar noms from this type of films for acting but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jennifer Lawrence for Best Actress and Woody Harrelson for Best Supporting

As for the score, well the Game Fanfare is pretty cool. It's the track "Horn of Plenty" in the score album

I'm currently at a student residence where I'm obviously not the only one who sees films (in fact we see films quite often) and I end up seeing anything just because "it's what people want to see today". Leading to me seeing:

Puss in Boots

I was expecting to be bored, but the film is actually good. I prefer to see it as if Shrek didn't exist. It takes a lot of fun out of actually playing straight all the classic adventures tropes it can find instead of parodying them. Sometimes it's hilarious but here and there might be a bit too much.

Antonio Banderas' and Salma Hayek's voicework = instant WIN.

And afterwards:

The Secret of the Unicorn

I've observed the thing with this film is that it's so purposely lightweight and tries to be so not self-important that it's enough to put some people out of the film. This is reinforced by the film being short, insanely fast paced and because of the ending. This film needs sequels. I can understand some people not being much into the film.

Random comments in the crowd that recalled my attention: "it's basically like Uncharted".

This is the only time I've seen it dubbed to Spanish. I really like the voices used, but the film is less funny. The original voicework is of course brilliant.

Tintin - self important?

You must have watched a different movie to me.

Your viewing friends sound like self important divs. But then, they're students. Probably young and that.

Tintin - self important?

Your viewing friends sound like self important divs. But then, they're students. Probably young and that.

I said " so not self-important." ;)

My viewing friends are into certain things just enough to start being called nerdy and there they stop, full stop, when it comes to films. One asked me if the music was by JW because it sounded like him. I have difficulties to get the group to see particularly older films or films with subtitles. But we have a good time. I'm putting The Thing one of these days, to see what they think.

I finally got to watch Children of Men last night, and I love it! Absolutely brilliant.

That film is AWESOMETACULAR. It's one of those films that just remind us again of what's cool about cinematic language.

Theo... Theo?... ... *chills*

I finally got to watch Children of Men last night, and I love it! Absolutely brilliant.

That film is AWESOMETACULAR. It's one of those films that just remind us again of what's cool about cinematic language.

I love everything about that film! The fantastic cinematography, the dialogue, the acting the action...its this kind of movie that defines true film making.

tumblr_m1jdteG9SZ1qitjxno1_250.jpg

I really do love the movie, and I dont know if it has to do with seeing it at such a young age that prevents me from finding issues with it, or what, but I do find it to be really good, and like many others, I wish the Bluray wasn't a wasted release.

Might play the SNES game as well, for some digitized williams score.. :lick:

Tintin - self important?

I said " so not self-important." ;)

I'm sorry. I really shouldn't post when I'm tired.

I love everything about that film! The fantastic cinematography, the dialogue, the acting the action...its this kind of movie that defines true film making.

Personally, and I know I'm vastly in the minority, but I thought the dialogue and acting were terrible. The script bathes in a kind of seriousness that strikes me as juvenile and amateuristic, as if it's the first attempt in writing by someone who doesn't have a lot of talent anyway. To me COM means bad direction in general. No powerful images, actors that feel unsure with the dialogue and uncomfortable with their bodies, their position on the 'stage' ... was this an attempt to add a touch of docu style realism? I didn't work for one second, IMO. The shaky cam a la Kaminsky didn't impress me that much either. In short, I dislike the whole conception behind it.

Alex

I'm remembering a lot of powerful moments and I don't think the actors felt forced. I don't think they were after a documentary realism. Lubezki's work was great, in my opinion.

The script bathes in a kind of seriousness that strikes me as juvenile and amateuristic, as if it's the first attempt in writing by someone who doesn't have a lot of talent anyway.

Funnily enough, and don't really want to go back to that, I think this is what I wanted to say about 300 but didn't know then how to explain it. Lots of narm in there.

It seems to me that we dislike 300 or CoM for similar reasons and consider the one we like one of the "greats". :lol: I wonder what can we infer from that.

I'm remembering a lot of powerful moments

Name me a few powerful images. Heck, name me one good bit of dialogue. I think things like "pull my finger" are poor writing.

BTW, I didn't say the acting was forced.

I'm remembering a lot of powerful moments

Name me a few powerful images.

Well, let's see. I'm going to rely only on memory.

The way we're introduced to the main problem with just a bunch of people looking still to the monitor, and see one of them coming out of the shop moments later carrying her own arm.

The shot of Theo in woods when he finally reacts to the death of Moore's character

The moment when they're in the bus going to the camp, they stop them, get in, and the woman tries to distract them from Kee and they get her out and as the bus going we only see a line of people with hoods over their heads.

When the car is rolling down the road and it seems like a futile escape anyway probably meaning death but they keep going down.

"You're a fascist pig".

Chiwetel Ejiofor at the top of the building.

All the soldiers looking at the baby in awe and some praying and then proceding to keep killing among themselves.

Theo dying with not much fuss about it, and the the way the thing just ends with the three on the boat in silence, and we hear the laugh of children for a moment I think.

Interesting you say "images".

Edit: what did you wanted Caine to say there?

Those are some great examples you pointed out there Chaac.

Especially the bus scene, I was really taken away by that. And I absolutely loved the moment when the baby is carried out in hope. The film really asks some big questions. I was also particularly taken away by how effective the choice of music was. The entire ghetto sequence itself was crafted brilliantly, and Krystoff Penderecki music worked great in context. I especially loved the choral source pieces they put into the film to really nail a certain religious atmosphere to the idea of hope that is so prevalent in the film.

The film is perfect in my eyes.

I have no clue, its been happening quite a bit with my posts recently. It occurred once or twice yesterday too. Its getting a bit annoying (consider I have to delete it all and redo it in an edit).

I replied to your post and it popped up as incomprehensible html gibberish, I had to go back and edit everything to do it again and fix it.