What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Making bad movies is bad for the industry, not people streaming movies...at least not in the big picture. Most of them still pay hefty amounts for entertainment products and often enough go see it in the cinema, anyway. I always found that accusation ridiculous, contrary to what they say neither the music nor the film industry seems to be on the brink of bankruptcy. There are lots of movies made and they generate more money than they did in 1995.

First you say making bad movies is bad for the industry. Then you say the film industry generates more money than in 1995. So which is it?

Ahem, millions of people do it.

it's still wrong.

I too can't see the benefit in it.

I don't equal 'bad' with bad net profits. There are short-term effects and long-term effects of serving too much redundant tripe and huckster carnivalism. Of course, in the end people stay away from SPIDERMAN XII because of evil movie streamers, not because even 10-year olds are getting bored with this stuff.

...in the end people stay away from SPIDERMAN XII...

Wait a minute! I know! Rocky V! That was the fifth one. So Rocky V + Rocky II...equals...Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge!

PROMETHEUS - Ridley Scott

After reading all the bad reviews, i was sufficiently alerted and got what i didn't pay for (no worries Alex, it was a press screening; Fox even sponsors beer and snacks). I can't add much, so i still don't make it short: 50% i found wonderfully evocative and proof that Scott still knows what cinema can bring to the senses, the other 50% consist of idiotic hackwriting out of a 50' monster movie á la ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS. Which would be more fun if the movie actually had crab monsters...well, it has, kind of. It also has 'scientists' obviously trying to outperform the cast of DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR? on sheer stupidity levels, uneven tone shifts (there seem to be razorcuts where maitre Scott leaves and the Fox studio execs enter) and a startling scene on a operation table which somehow got to the levels of disgust of the old chestbuster scene from ALIEN.

Streitenfeld's music music was rather OK, if ony serviceable, the hymnal theme by HGW got used multiple times without variation, which makes one long for Goldsmith's mastery of the ambigious, which would have worked wonders here.

All in all, i'm not appalled, but a bit saddened that Scott so obviously lowered himself to studio interference, but what can you do...as it is, there are a lot of interesting FILMMAKING ideas in it when you just cut out the actors doing imbecile stuff.

It's a mostly well-directed piece-of-shit script. That's the kindest way I can put it.

Ridley Scott's ability to stage a good visual spectacle is not a problem here. The visual side of the film is really impressive, 3D included.

And yes, the operating table scene is the only thing I remember from it at this point. It was good.

Karol

Why did my review lead to suspicions of piracy?

Everyone is a suspect, Steef. The next time we talk about a new film that we've seen, I suppose that we take pictures of the ticket or the DVD, just to prove that we JWfans don't participate in malicious practices.

Oh, heck, let's keep a witch-hunt, shall we? Each time a member says he listened to this or that album, I want to see evidence that he or she has listened to the official version. We don't need sick root contaminating our board. With worshipping comes great responsibility.

After reading all the bad reviews, i was sufficiently alerted and got what i didn't pay for (no worries Alex, it was a press screening; Fox even sponsors beer and snacks).

Do you have a ticket?

Alex

Oh, heck, let's keep a witch-hunt, shall we? Each time a member says he listened to this or that album, I want to see evidence that he or she has listened to the official version. We don't need sick root contaminating our board. With worshipping comes great responsibility.

I want to come clean about something. For many of my developing years, I watched Sesame Street and Mister Rogers, but I never gave a dime to Public Television. In fact, when pledge period came on, I ran screaming from the room, crying "mommy make it stop" and I would be insufferable for days.

I await whatever sentence this court of public opinion decides. :(

I take material from libraries, friends, the Internet, go see a film every now and then.

The screening of Cars 2 that I had to go the other day was free. I guess Disney is crying somewhere.

I once saw MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE for free in the university, but immediately mailed a cheque to Sherry Lansing afterwards.

Back in 1982, I saw preview of "TRON" in London, at the Odeon Haymarket, in 70mm, 6-track magnetic stereo. It was good.

The Dark Knight Rises

I liked it quite a bit more than Avengers. The plot was also more focused and less confusing than The Dark Knight . The music sucked though

Also it wasn't in 3D and made me realize how 3D is unnecessary

Were the others in 3D? I didn't know.

The Avengers and Amazing Spider-man were in 3D. The first two Batman films were not

Watched Inception for the first time in quite a long time (1 year and a half, I think). What a fun film. I love how playful the script is, with all its ideas dancing around effortlessly and creating a very coherent whole. Other people might disagree, but I find this maze of a story incredibly fun to follow. Had a great time watching it again. It's good to see a bit lighter from Christopher Nolan again, after the last Batman film. As a pure entertainment, this film is better. Also, one of the best Hans Zimmer scores ever. Yeah, I'm being serious.

Karol

No, I wasn't sure at first. Then I watched it the second time on the same day and I loved it ever since.

In one of my very first posts I said that my two favourite directors are Stanley Kubrick and Christopher Nolan. I was 21 back then!

Karol - big Nolan fanboy since around year 2001.

I'm not so sure about the film itself, but the CG animation itself was stunning. I believe I already said that.

Perhaps it was Quint and Alex.

Oh yes, the ADHD-driven plot-hating old farts of this forum. I was never one of them! ;)

Karol

Watched Inception for the first time in quite a long time (1 year and a half, I think). What a fun film. I love how playful the script is, with all its ideas dancing around effortlessly and creating a very coherent whole. Other people might disagree, but I find this maze of a story incredibly fun to follow. Had a great time watching it again. It's good to see a bit lighter from Christopher Nolan again, after the last Batman film. As a pure entertainment, this film is better. Also, one of the best Hans Zimmer scores ever. Yeah, I'm being serious.

Karol

That's absolutely right, especially about Zimmer's score.

Yeah, Zimmer's score works really quite well in Inception. Although, I'm one of those who feel there's just way too much plotting and especially talking in it. And that whole snow mountain sequence? Contender for the most boring action setpiece ever.

What the hell is going on here, guys? Praise for Zimmer, and Inception no less? His score was trashed here when the film came out. I guess in 2014 The Dark Knight Rises will be considered a JWFan masterpiece.