What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I quite enjoyed it, actually. I think part of it is that I feel like the current Zimmer style is better suited to something like Inception than the Batman films--like Merkel was saying. And more than I had heard in Begins and TDK, I felt that there was a sense of him really adding a sense of excitement and urgency in a way, particularly in the van chase/hallway fight, where it helped me to root for Yusuf and Arthur even more. It even had some nice thematic material, with my favorites being the dream theme/motive, and the "Old Souls" theme (I liked the sounds he used for that one, also).

I always liked that score. The Zimmer music just merges with the style of the film. One of my favourite moments is when Saito says at the beggining they're actually asleep and the dream theme starts on the guitar.

BAM-BADAM! BAM-BADAM!

The last film I saw was The Dark Knight Rises. I posted my completely spoiler-filled thoughts over in the spoilers-allowed thread, but in case you were wondering how I felt and haven't seen it yet here is my spoiler free review:

The good: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle. Joseph Gordon Levitt as John Blake. The overall arc the final chapter takes

The bad: The details of the way that arc is handled - the plot, the exposition, the character motivations, the twists. The fact that it's not comic-book-y or Batman-y at all. It's too long. It's confusing. It is filled with head-scratching moments. Filled with characters who don't act like themselves. Action scenes are not memorable at all.

A hugely disappointing conclusion to a saga that I loved the first two entries in. Bummer.

Perhaps it was Quint and Alex.

Did someone mention Inception?

In that case, it's major rant time!

It's what they call a "cerebral and existential science fiction movie" a la 2001: A Space Odyssey or Blade Runner, and yet, its only interest is to entertain the audience with a 'dream within a dream' story. That's literally all Inception has to offer. The visuals are amongst the dullest, uninspiring, unprovoking ever registrated for a movie about a dream world (and where the dream builders are fully able to manipulate their dreams, no less!) and the characters are as unimportant and boring as the world they are living in. In the end, the viewer feels smart because Nolan forces him to figure out a complex story, not because he needs to add meaning to it or because he discovers a wealth of underlying themes (a la 2001: ASO or Blade Runner). I lean towards movies where suddenly magic happens on the screen, magic that forever leaves an imprint, magic that was not there before on paper. I wonder if Nolan is even capable of that. Perhaps that's why he's not even trying anymore. And that's my biggest problem with Inception. I have the feeling that I could've read the script and envision the same or even a better movie than the one that Nolan made.

Grrrrrr!

Alex

Christopher Nolan presents: Exposition: The Movie.

I hear he has a new superhero trilogy in the works as well.

Backstory Begins (2013)

The Up All Knight: Explain Harder (2014)

The Word Count Rises: Exposition With a Vengeance (2015)

If I thought for an instant the audience could fill in the gaps themselves, I'd quit the business and get onto textiles - Chris Nolan

I watched Vertigo today, figuring I would check it out after being named Sight & Sound's best film of all time. I had seen it before, and enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. Generally, I enjoy all of Hitchcock's films that I have seen and rate them 5/5, not because I really connected with them, but because I felt obligated to out of respect to Hitchcock's craft.

This time was different, though. I'm not sure. Maybe it's just that it's been 7 or 8 years since I saw Vertigo and, being only 19 now, I have changed a lot since, but I really connected with the film this time. I wasn't looking forward to the second half of the film because I remembered it being less interesting than the surreal first half, but that ended up being much more powerful for me. The first half is great, but the second half was fantastic. It had such complicated emotions, and I really got sucked in. There were moments when I just wanted to cry out of sympathy for the characters. That's never happened to me during a Hitchcock film.

I also have a lot more appreciation for the score, which I had listened to but never took the time to compare to the film. Now seeing and hearing it again, the score is monumentally effective at bringing the film's emotions home. It really conveyed the moodiness, despair, and tragedy of the film.

Also, I have to give Hitchcock credit for how he handled the film's big twist. It really pisses me off when people praise films like The Prestige or The Usual Suspects for having little hints of their twists put in early in the film. It's not hard to do. Once you know the ending, as a screenwriter or director, it requires very little effort or inspiration to stick in those little hints. Hitchcock didn't put those little hints in. Instead, he made the twist feel emotionally and thematically right, a task the other two films I mention failed at and a task that is much more daunting and rewarding. In fact, the scene where Scotty talks to the hotel owner and she says she didn't see Madeline actively contradicts the twist of the film.

It's been years since i enjoyed watching a film this much. I've already watched another film since, but I am still stuck in the emotional state Vertigo left me in.

It's what they call a "cerebral and existential science fiction movie" a la 2001: A Space Odyssey or Blade Runner

You're deluded, cause I never said that. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. It is a light action film which throws in a few nice ideas.

As for the dream thing, I disagree. The so-called surreal dreaming would have been typical and cliche and wouldn't makes sense in this story. It's been done to death on film anyway.

Karol

It's what they call a "cerebral and existential science fiction movie" a la 2001: A Space Odyssey or Blade Runner

You're deluded, cause I never said that. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. It is a light action film which throws in a few nice ideas.

As for the dream thing, I disagree. The so-called surreal dreaming would have been typical and cliche and wouldn't makes sense in this story. It's been done to death on film anyway.

Karol

Well, that's the problem. Maybe it wouldn't make sense, but dreams don't make sense. That Nolan simplified and intellectualized dreams this way made them seem pretty boring. If you're gonna have dreams in your film, it's not cliche to have them be surreal because they are surreal as we experience them.

I suppose it's okay to treat Inception as a light action film, though. Maybe even respectable. I get tired of people talking about how it is the most complex film ever made and how deep its story is. The story has no depth as proved by the stale characters, and any attempt the film makes at true complexity is a failure. Just listen to some of the dialogue regarding the "rules" such as the totems. It's complete gibberish.

Karol

Well, that's the problem. Maybe it wouldn't make sense, but dreams don't make sense. That Nolan simplified and intellectualized dreams this way made them seem pretty boring. If you're gonna have dreams in your film, it's not cliche to have them be surreal because they are surreal as we experience them.

I suppose it's okay to treat Inception as a light action film, though. Maybe even respectable. I get tired of people talking about how it is the most complex film ever made and how deep its story is. The story has no depth as proved by the stale characters, and any attempt the film makes at true complexity is a failure. Just listen to some of the dialogue regarding the "rules" such as the totems. It's complete gibberish.

You do realise that you mistake the film with certain people's reaction to it. Enjoy it for what it is, not what other people tell it's about. Nolan never said anything about Inception being 2001 or Blade Runner. In fact, he kinds compared it to Bond. What does that tell you?

You see, the dream element is not as much element in a film as you might think. Remember that it is about a group of people who are specifically trained for months to imagine certain things in a particular way. How the brain operates and projects isn't a big factor in this film at all. Remember that while dreaming it doesn't matter whether it feele realistic or not - it still is very real to you. Nolan only uses certain elements of the dream. It's not about this concept as such.

It is gibberish, as you say. That's the point. That's why it's fun.

I almost feel like digging out my old posts on the matter and pasting them in, just for laughs!

See? I told you Inception is fun!

Karol

I

Perhaps it was Quint and Alex

Oh yes, the ADHD-driven plot-hating old farts of this forum. I was never one of them! ;)

Karol

Bahahahaha

I loved Inception. Made my brain work a bit to keep up with the story. Always good

You're deluded, cause I never said that. In fact, it is exactly the opposite.

I said, "they", not "crocs".

I watched Vertigo today, figuring I would check it out after being named Sight & Sound's best film of all time. I had seen it before, and enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. Generally, I enjoy all of Hitchcock's films that I have seen and rate them 5/5, not because I really connected with them, but because I felt obligated to out of respect to Hitchcock's craft.

This time was different, though. I'm not sure. Maybe it's just that it's been 7 or 8 years since I saw Vertigo and, being only 19 now, I have changed a lot since, but I really connected with the film this time. I wasn't looking forward to the second half of the film because I remembered it being less interesting than the surreal first half, but that ended up being much more powerful for me. The first half is great, but the second half was fantastic. It had such complicated emotions, and I really got sucked in. There were moments when I just wanted to cry out of sympathy for the characters. That's never happened to me during a Hitchcock film.

I also have a lot more appreciation for the score, which I had listened to but never took the time to compare to the film. Now seeing and hearing it again, the score is monumentally effective at bringing the film's emotions home. It really conveyed the moodiness, despair, and tragedy of the film.

Also, I have to give Hitchcock credit for how he handled the film's big twist. It really pisses me off when people praise films like The Prestige or The Usual Suspects for having little hints of their twists put in early in the film. It's not hard to do. Once you know the ending, as a screenwriter or director, it requires very little effort or inspiration to stick in those little hints. Hitchcock didn't put those little hints in. Instead, he made the twist feel emotionally and thematically right, a task the other two films I mention failed at and a task that is much more daunting and rewarding. In fact, the scene where Scotty talks to the hotel owner and she says she didn't see Madeline actively contradicts the twist of the film.

It's been years since i enjoyed watching a film this much. I've already watched another film since, but I am still stuck in the emotional state Vertigo left me in.

This is great. I adore this move for exactly these reasons! Problem is it keeps me up at night.....

I

Oh yes, the ADHD-driven plot-hating old farts of this forum. I was never one of them! ;)

Karol

Bahahahaha

I loved Inception. Made my brain work a bit to keep up with the story. Always good

I prefer a more poetically cerebral workout, myself.

I

Karol

Bahahahaha

I prefer a more poetically cerebral workout, myself.

Well, then enlighten me for movie night.

Ehh Watchmen doesn't wipe the floor with TDK but it's a fine companion piece to the comic. Snyder really went overboard with the fight scenes though.

Mmmmm I'm watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind right now. First time seeing it since I was a really small kid. Can't remember anything of it.

Ehh Watchmen doesn't wipe the floor with TDK

A year ago I'd have agreed with you, but my taste is adjusting again. Maybe after I see the third movie I'll agree with you again.

You two are interrupting my monthly (or is it weekly?) ritualistic Christopher Nolan worship ceremony with those innuendos! You should be banned!

Karol

Oh yeah watch the Ultimate Cut or whatever cut that has the cartoon in it. The black freighter story is one of the best bits of Watchmen.

I think the whole black freighter story fits in very well with the overall story and themes of Watchmen. It's spread evenly over the length of the film and doesn't break the flow. Only drawback I guess is that it adds runtime to an already long film.

Yeah, it's worth at least giving it a shot. It's as complete as Watchmen gets. While the animation doesn't exactly merge in a same seamless manner as in the comic book, it is indeed a large part of its legacy and should be in it.

Pity, though, that film spoils and cheapens one of the best moments from the comic book. The scene when Dr. Manhattan decides to go back to Earth is one of the most moving moments in the book. Here it sounds weak and melodramatic. They should have stuck to the original lines. Maybe it's a slight change, but it does matter.

Karol

I saw The Watch. It was decently funny, but not nearly as hilarious as Ted. Also it included one of the most blatant temp tracks I've ever heard--ripped straight from Signs. It was so similar I wouldn't be surprised if it was just edited together with a bit of original music at the beginning and end.

The only thing that had my interest re: The Watch is Richard Aoyade (he's awesome in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace). Is he any good in it?

Sadly as the seasons go on it gets worse and worse, but the first season is absolutely brilliant

The only thing that had my interest re: The Watch is Richard Aoyade (he's awesome in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace). Is he any good in it?

Yeah, he's pretty good. It's hard to know for sure but I felt that most of the problems were with the script, not the delivery. A lot of the lines just weren't funny. Still, it's worth watching for the funny parts.