What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Is Shutter Island all style? Like Cape Fear (which is a good film in its own way)

Pretty much. There's a cracking good tall tale and solid performances as well, but it's Scorcese in Cape Fear mode which is what grabbed my attention.

Yes, it reminded me of Cape Fear as well. It's a greatly made good movie.

It would be nice if the images would get a chance to do the talking. It's probably why I enjoyed Jackie Brown so much the last time I saw it.

There's a magnificently-cut and beautifully shot montage of Shosanna and Bridget preparing for the film premiere... that was brilliantly well-done. Loved it. It's a shame Sally Menke isn't here anymore... IG is one of her best-cut films ever.

There's a magnificently-cut and beautifully shot montage of Shosanna and Bridget preparing for the film premiere... that was brilliantly well-done.

With the Bowie song. One of my favourite scenes from the movie. The other is Shosanna's escape at the end of the first chapter. Also no dialogue.

Then there's also the confrontation between her and Landa. That has dialogue, but it's the acting that makes the scene.

IG is one of her best-cut films ever.

I didn't know that. I mean, I didn't notice it because I was completely dulled by the endless stream of dialog. Still, I like the first hour of Death Proof.

IB is one of her best-cut films ever.

I didn't know that. I mean, I didn't notice it because I was completely dulled by the endless stream of dialog. Still, I like the first hour of Death Proof.

When a film has a rhythm of its own... you're sucked into the world completely and you're not drawn out of the film because of technical decisions -- that's a mark of a great editor and director. Menke deserved an Oscar just for those two scenes alone... just spellbinding.

I do agree with you on some scenes having way too much dialogue. Like the scene when Bridget goes to the theater and Col. Handa asks her about her ankle and it goes on and on... just a few words and facial expressions would've done the job in less time. Like I said, IB isn't perfect. But it has some great scenes and characters going for it.

They're two completely different movies. I kind of like Planet Terror, but it can't compare to completely uneventful and trashy Death Proof, which is about.... absoutely nothing. ;)

Karol

Prometheus

I have to say that I enjoyed it, but I'm not happy with this cut, for some reason, the film seems incomplete, I hope the director's cut is better.

The Thing, last year's prequel by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. Being a huge fan of Carpenter's 1982 classic, a lot could be said here but I must admit I wasn't very disappointed. A lot of things could have been done better or at least different, but on the other hand, there is a lot of originality and inventiveness. Thus the general impression is good as it seemed to me that the whole team, cast and crew, tried to do their best and in their own way pay tribute to Carpenter's version. Even Morricone is quoted at the beginning and the end, I liked the way this "bookends" the movie. The actors are great, especially the Norwegian team and Ulrich Thomsen (Davidov from TWINE).

All in all, a perfectly OK horror flick although the Carpenter version of course remains far superior to this movie.

but the continuity between the films is admirable.

Collateral is on with Tom Cruise. He's a fucking boss in this flick. It has one of the best murder scenes ever in a movie. I love it when Cruise plays villainous guys.

As far as I can remember, this is the only film in which he's the villain, unless you count his hilarious performance in Tropic Thunder.

It is a great film, the only issue was that I knew the ending within the first 10 minutes of the film. That aside, very good.

I knew the ending from the trailer. That's not an issue.

When talking about the films of Charlie Kaufman, why doesn't anyone ever mention Human Nature?

humannature01.jpg

Fun film!

Collateral is on with Tom Cruise. He's a fucking boss in this flick. It has one of the best murder scenes ever in a movie. I love it when Cruise plays villainous guys.

As far as I can remember, this is the only film in which he's the villain, unless you count his hilarious performance in Tropic Thunder.

He's also villainous in the role he was born to play, Lestat in Interview with the Vampire.

He's also villainous in the role he was born to play, Lestat in Interview with the Vampire.

People complain about him being poorly casted in that, but I really enjoyed him in it. He gave the character just the right amount of flamboyance that I wanted to clap after the last scene.

Prometheus

I have to say that I enjoyed it, but I'm not happy with this cut, for some reason, the film seems incomplete, I hope the director's cut is better.

Is there a director's cut in the making?! My god, am I glad that I'm waiting for the blu-ray and that I didn't see the film in theaters!

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Yeah I know.

But then... Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut completely changed my perspective on that film.

Karol

Prometheus

Is there a director's cut in the making?! My god, am I glad that I'm waiting for the blu-ray and that I didn't see the film in theaters!

I thought you said director's cuts were bullshit, that deleted scenes were always deleted for a reason... Did something make you change your mind? A unicorn, perhaps?

Director's Cuts that offer great improvements are Watchmen and Kingdom Of Heaven. But those films were cut shorter for commercial reasons (shorter films have more theatrical showings per day). When the opposite happens and films are made longer (purely by including all the cut scenes from the bonus section) just to sell more DVDs, it's usually for the worst.

When talking about the films of Charlie Kaufman, why doesn't anyone ever mention Human Nature?

humannature01.jpg

Fun film!

I honestly never heard of it before. Will have to check it out.

It was directed by Michel Gondry and written by Charlie Kaufman!

Scott has already said that the theatrical cut is his definitive cut. Before the film even came out, I believe.

The only director's cut I've ever preferred is Watchmen. I preferred it over the theatrical which I've never seen!

The theatrical cut of a movie should rightly be considered the definitive cut, regardless of the spiel of the distributors and its director. Alien, Aliens, LotR, The Abyss, Terminator 2- all alternate versions are inferior and often bloated compared to the originals.

Ahem, of all the films we were talking about, only Synecdoche, New York is directed by Kaufman himself. It is his directorial debut.

Alex

Scott has already said that the theatrical cut is his definitive cut. Before the film even came out, I believe.

He should consider a new cut, I think the film needs new footage and if my memory serves the first cut was 2 hours and 27 minutes.

The theatrical cut of a movie should rightly be considered the definitive cut, regardless of the spiel of the distributors and its director. Alien, Aliens, LotR, The Abyss, Terminator 2- all alternate versions are inferior and often bloated compared to the originals.

Somewhere, a sad little fat man in a gray beard and lumberjack's red shirt on a pile of money, broken dreams, and Ewok bones disagrees with you.

Ahem, of all the films we were talking about, only Synecdoche, New York is directed by Kaufman himself. It is his directorial debut.

Alex

Do you think I didn't know that?

Alex

Do you think I didn't know that?

I'm sure of it. Your post gave it away.

What the hell are you talking about? There was a discussion go on about all the films Kaufman wrote - John Malkovich, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, etc. So I asked why no one ever brings up Human Nature - another film he wrote.

You've been really strange lately, are you alright?

What the hell are you talking about? There was a discussion go on about all the films Kaufman wrote - John Malkovich, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, etc. So I asked why no one ever brings up Human Nature - another film he wrote.

You've been really strange lately, are you alright?

Why the sudden need to specify? We didn't do that before with the other "Charlie Kaufman" films. That's why I know, Jason. I always know.

I mean, didn't I also know that Steef didn't see Spiderman in the theater?

Exactly ...

Alex

Why the sudden need to specify? We didn't do that before with the other "Charlie Kaufman" films. That's why I know, Jason. I always know.

What on god's green earth are you blathering about?

Are you actually trying to tell me that you think I didn't know that Jonze directed Malkovich & Adaptation, Gondry directed Human Nature and Eternal Sunshine, Clooney directed Confessions, and Kaufman directed Synecdoche?? What is wrong with you?

I also saw all those films in the theater (except Synecdoche), but I don't have scans of my stubs handy ;)

but the continuity between the films is admirable.

Yep, it's nicely done, I'll agree to that. It's especially cool to see the chopper - and then maybe just directly continue watching the 1982 movie! ;)

I agree about only TTT EE. The others I'd rather watch the theatrical cut

I also saw all those films in the theater (except Synecdoche), but I don't have scans of my stubs handy ;)

Seriously? Come on Jason. I have all my stubs from the past ten years scanned and sorted by genre. Get with the times.

I think the best version of all 3 films is somewhere in between the theatrical cut and extended cuts. But I could only see one version of each for the rest of my life I'd pick the extendeds. You can always hit fast forward on the scenes you don't like!

Alex, you may want to reread Jason's original post that you quoted. I think the line "It was directed by Michel Gondry and written by Charlie Kaufman!" is a dead give away that he knew the film was directed by Michel Gondry and written by Charlie Kaufman.

humannature01.jpg

Fun film!

Because while it's amusingly deranged, it's not on the same level as the Jonze films and Eternal Sunshine.

Dracula, 1931 Spanish language American version. It's primitive like Lugosi's Dracula, Virtually a scene for scene alternate, however it's sufficiently different to make it very intriguing. I cannot wait to watch it on Blu, I do hope it's been restored.

I watched From Russiaaaaa with Loooooove.

Damn those fighting gypsy girls are babes. And the movie is good too. John Barry rocks the house.