What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I'd been meaning to watch it for a while, and finally had time for it today. I realised to late that I was too tired. And I never stop a film I've started watching.

I'm pretty sure unfamiliarity with the source material would have been a problem anyway. So at least next time I already know what to expect.

It's trash. It's like Under Seige 3 but with James Bond instead of Nico. And the score chews the ear off almost continously, it's relentless. Arnold at his most overbearingly undisciplined.

Wrong again, it's my fav of the he did. Fantastic action scoring!

Yeah, the cue "Come in 007, Your Time is Up" is probably my equal favourite Arnold/Bond action track with African Rundown from CR. There is a hair raising instatement of the Norman/Barry bass guitar theme right in the middle during the boat chase that is brilliantly intertwined with Arnold's 90's drum programming/techno style.

Well yes, you are known to like the Phil Spector approach to scoring, which is fair enough. I just find it a bit too much.

Yeah, the cue "Come in 007, Your Time is Up" is probably my equal favourite Arnold/Bond action track with African Rundown from CR. There is a hair raising instatement of the Norman/Barry bass guitar theme right in the middle during the boat chase that is brilliantly intertwined with Arnold's 90's drum programming/techno style.

I dig that stuff too. This one also has one of the coolest "Bond...James Bond" moments ever when Bond and Denise Richards re-enact the rocket boots scene from Star Trek V and there's a brief rendition of the theme.

I like the Brosnan ones.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

It's not a bad film, from Dreamworks Animation that is. It's beautifully hand animated, but not quite the level that Disney did during its Renaissance period, and plot-wise, the movie is just... there. It's harmless entertainment, but it just doesn't do anything special or anything to distinguish itself. Michelle Pfeiffer was obviously having a great time voicing Eris, and her character is the most fun to watch. And Harry Gregson-Williams' score is engaging and fresh.

But what just makes it meh is Brad Pitt's flat line readings as the title character. It was either his first time voicing an animated role or the lack of good voice direction that did it. And for another thing, he was obviously cast in the movie for star power and not because he could 'become' the character.

The Bourne Legacy

A good companion piece to the Damon films. I always liked how the sequels kinda blurred the lines of chronology in regards to the previous films. If I remember correctly, the end of Supremacy is in Ultimatum, and this time around, Ultimatum is happening while all of this is happening.

Its major flaw is the pacing. It takes too long to get going, and once it really gets going it ends abruptly. Renner and Weisz are good, although their characters' relationship builds naturally but then takes a giant leap towards the end, adding more to that abrupt feeling. All the other characters are underdeveloped and more or less useless. I would have liked to see Norton play a more pivotal role.

Howard's score does a great job of taking the torch from Powell's musical world. Bourne's theme makes a couple reprises, and the action material is in the same vein, but never as frenetic as Powell likes to get. Gilroy's direction is also in the same vein as Greengrass', but also not as frenetic. It feels a little more tame altogether. Nothing great, but enjoyable.

Sound of Music

I'm sorry, but this movie just doesn't do it for me. It's beautifully shot, the music is great, and Julie Andrews is superb in her Oscar-winning lead role. But this movie is just too long and like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Gone With the Wind, it's a classic film that doesn't sweep me in. I can admire it for what it is, but it's not a movie I want to revisit frequently.

Rubber: The movie floats between intriguing (the idea) and uninteresting (the final result). Good for watching once but it is and will always be a B-movie. Acting and execution are accordingly. I wonder if the used camera is a Canon EOS 5D.

Rubber-Blu-ray-www.whysoblu.com_.jpg

The Bourne Legacy

A good companion piece to the Damon films. I always liked how the sequels kinda blurred the lines of chronology in regards to the previous films. If I remember correctly, the end of Supremacy is in Ultimatum, and this time around, Ultimatum is happening while all of this is happening.

Its major flaw is the pacing. It takes too long to get going, and once it really gets going it ends abruptly. Renner and Weisz are good, although their characters' relationship builds naturally but then takes a giant leap towards the end, adding more to that abrupt feeling. All the other characters are underdeveloped and more or less useless. I would have liked to see Norton play a more pivotal role.

Howard's score does a great job of taking the torch from Powell's musical world. Bourne's theme makes a couple reprises, and the action material is in the same vein, but never as frenetic as Powell likes to get. Gilroy's direction is also in the same vein as Greengrass', but also not as frenetic. It feels a little more tame altogether. Nothing great, but enjoyable.

To be honest, when I got the ending of the film, I was pretty surprised that was all the film had to offer. Its plot really has nothing interesting to add and its nowhere near as fun as the Damon films. The movie was about him going to get his medication and there was a whole big chase (as expected with any Bourne film) around it. Yawn.

As for JNH's score. It may take on the vein of Powell's loops but it lacks the percussive energy. And again, its nowhere as near as fun as Powell's scores. To go on, there weren't any major identifiable themes from what I could hear on film.

Batman Begins

Good film, pales compared to the two sequels though. But I hate how they handled the exit of the Scarecrow character. So lame after all the build up.

And the music was way better than DKR. What a shame JNH left.

The Bourne Legacy

To be honest, when I got the ending of the film, I was pretty surprised that was all the film had to offer. Its plot really has nothing interesting to add and its nowhere near as fun as the Damon films. The movie was about him going to get his medication and there was a whole big chase (as expected with any Bourne film) around it. Yawn.

As for JNH's score. It may take on the vein of Powell's loops but it lacks the percussive energy. And again, its nowhere as near as fun as Powell's scores. To go on, there weren't any major identifiable themes from what I could hear on film.

I said all of this, but spun it in a more positive manner :P

Watching Aliens right now.

How come, when their plane crashes halfway through the movie, the nukes they want to blow up the place with don't explode?

listen to Chaac, his country knows a thing or two about nukes in a crashed plane that didn't explode.

Sometimes they Come Back, a Stephen King movie, Pet Sematary, Stephen King Movie, The Keep, an F Paul Wilson movie by Michael Mann, he's a fking idiot. He makes a film about a vampire during WWII, only changes it into something else, then he uses Tangerine Dream to make an electronic pop score to a film in WWII.

The Car, a demonic car attacks a town. A decent B horror movie from 1977.

As for moulin rouge. If you can suffer through the first 45 mins you're golden. Up until the elephant love medley it's very in your face but it's worth it in the end for that song and Roxanne.

Watching Aliens right now.

How come, when their plane crashes halfway through the movie, the nukes they want to blow up the place with don't explode?

Fail-safe. The nukes probably have to be electronically activated ("armed") in order for any concussive force to detonate them.

I understand that the original nuclear weapons worked by being dropped from a height out of a tower or bombers, but a) they would be many generations older than the devices shown in a futuristic sci-fi movie set well outside of our solar system, and b) I would hope they had some kind of safety that would prevent them from activating if, say, the Enola Gay had crashed.

After all, if the guy in the unit carrying all the grenades tripped over his own shoelaces and blew up his entire team's cache of ordinance, what good would the grenades be? Hence, the pin. Same thing, one would hope.

:kaboom:

John Carter of Mars

Interesting adventure film. Had a good time.

Not too many would use the word "interesting" for this movie. It seems almost everybody deemed it uninteresting.

I'm pretty sure it's not unless he wanted to lose all his credibility.

I care little for the expectation of others .

The movie was an absolute topsy turvy blast, with a final coda which made all the little plot holes and minor misteps just wash away in a gleeful instant. The twisty meta experience offered by this supremely inventive movie was like a blast of fresh air. I'm just sad there wont be another like it in years, since such creativity and fun at the cinema is like gold dust.

John Carter of Mars

Interesting adventure film. Had a good time.

Not too many would use the word "interesting" for this movie. It seems almost everybody deemed it uninteresting.

That has been the main problem of the film all the way throughout its production and release. No interest. Everyone was "Meh...."

Even when it bombed spectacularly, people didn't really seem to care.

In a year or two the film will be completely forgotten.

I'm pretty sure it's not unless he wanted to lose all his credibility.

I care little for the expectation of others .

The movie was an absolute topsy turvy blast, with a final coda which made all the little plot holes and minor misteps just wash away in a gleeful instant. The twisty meta experience offered by this supremely inventive movie was like a blast of fresh air. I'm just sad there wont be another like it in years, since such creativity and fun at the cinema is like gold dust.

I guess I wasn't wrong when I said it was the only movie I had fun seeing in the theater this Summer. ;)

Sound of Music

I'm sorry, but this movie just doesn't do it for me. It's beautifully shot, the music is great, and Julie Andrews is superb in her Oscar-winning lead role. But this movie is just too long and like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Gone With the Wind, it's a classic film that doesn't sweep me in. I can admire it for what it is, but it's not a movie I want to revisit frequently.

Try editing the songs out of the film, and watching it as a straight drama. It works!

Eleanor Parker is a fox!

This film has that electrical Kubrick grip on the viewer, but I didn't quite get it like the other films of his that I've seen.

Many memorable moments.

I agree!

The guy's name is Nacho? That's awesome!

Hehe. It's short for Ignacio.

Back To The Future on Blu-Ray, still love the film to this day.

One thing I noticed that there were certain scenes that the film did a brief skip.

The first one was when Doc was about to say, "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88mph you're gonna see some serious shit". I can't quite remember what the second scene was when it did the skip. The third scene was when Doc slowly started to go to the other side of the Clock Tower to grab the cable and his foot first started to slip.

I'm not sure if it's my PS3 that might causing the issue. Has anyone else experienced this?