What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Fincher never dominated anything theatrically. has he ever actually even had a blockbuster.

Benjamin Button made quite a few bucks worldwide but few will say it's his best film.

it's a horrible film, I anticipate that it might actually be over soon. Not sure. Should have been called the Big Easy's version of the Never Ending Story.

Looper

RT score 93%. "As thought-provoking as it is thrilling, Looper delivers an uncommonly smart, bravely original blend of futuristic sci-fi and good old-fashioned action."

WTF?

It's anything but.

Karol

Seriously, it's one of the shittiest things I've watched this year. Boring, idiotic, badly made and certainly not original.

Karol - who cannot believe standards are this low

The Master

Finally got around to seeing this one. It's a very impressive film, and like the greats, I need to think it over for a bit before I can fully grasp it all. I can say that the direction, cinematography, costume and production design, and above all else, the acting, are tremendous. I mean, how does PTA do it? He brings out the most subtle nuances in the actors he works with. There's so much physical detail here it's unbelievable. It feels like every person's face was hand picked on this canvas of a film. Phoenix deserves the Oscar thus far in the year. Hoffman and Adams were very good too. Greenwood's score is very effective as well.

What interests me the most right now, though, is what was cut and why. Most of the footage in the trailers is absent, meaning a great deal of editing was done. This is one of those films where the actual narrative is pushed more in the back, letting the visuals tell the story. Naturally it makes it harder to piece together and grasp, but that's the challenge I love. The end left me a bit confused, and I feel like these cuts scenes would help me understand it better.

I went and rewatched the trailers, and honestly, this movie must have been another hour longer. So much missing.

Flight, Zemeckis' first live film in quite some time.

What a great return. Denzel is so damned good. Expect an Oscar nod if not the statue itself.

The whole crash sequence is just completely amazing. It's truly one of cinema's most amazing sequences.

This is what a 4 star out of 4 star film looks like.

He wasted far too much time messing around with mediocre cg movies. Zemeckis is a superb director when he wants to be, I'd love to see him become a major presence in Hollywood again.

Somersault: Social drama about a teen with problems. Critically acclaimed but not more than a 5/10 for me. Well-done yet slightly boring at the same time.

somersault01.jpg

Alex

The Game

Still as engrossing as ever. A time when Fincher and Shore dominated the thriller. The score is brilliant in this movie; and Criterion's transfer is gorgeous. It's slightly dated in its pay phones, car phones, giant cell phones, giant computers and small tube TVs, but it all still works.

I hate this film. I hate it so much. It has probably the worst ending I have ever seen in a film.

Happy birthday! We made you kill yourself! The last hour and a half was a useless clusterfuck of nothing! Now let's all hug!

To me, no amount of good direction or score can make up for something so awful.

The Game

Still as engrossing as ever. A time when Fincher and Shore dominated the thriller. The score is brilliant in this movie; and Criterion's transfer is gorgeous. It's slightly dated in its pay phones, car phones, giant cell phones, giant computers and small tube TVs, but it all still works.

I hate this film. I hate it so much. It has probably the worst ending I have ever seen in a film.

Happy birthday! We made you kill yourself! The last hour and a half was a useless clusterfuck of nothing! Now let's all hug!

I think it's brilliant.

You saw The Master, right? I want to know someone else's thoughts on that one.

I thought The Master was awesome, best film of the year so far. It was visually astonishing and the performances were of course excellent. I didn't always know what it was about, but I've been stuck on it mentally as much as any film I've seen in the last few years.

I feel the same way. I'm really interested to see if PTA releases an extended cut of some kind. Nearly all of the footage in the trailer is absent in the final cut. Perhaps from studio pressure to keep the running time down, but PTA doesn't seem like the director a studio would limit.

War of the Worlds (2005)

It's still a taut, entertaining, and ruthlessly efficient pic. Williams' score is beautifully atonal and mournful, and most of the performances aren't great but good enough. But that cop-out ending.... I still want to punch Spielberg one good one for that. For all those people angry at Crystal Skull, I feel the same way about this film's ending. Just infuriating.

what cop out ending, that the son survives, what says he should have died. I guess the Japanese guy that survived both atomic bombs during WWII was a cop out.

The Game

I think it's brilliant.

You saw The Master, right? I want to know someone else's thoughts on that one.

Do you really need to know what I think? ;)

Karol - actually looking forward to it

what cop out ending, that the son survives, what says he should have died. I guess the Japanese guy that survived both atomic bombs during WWII was a cop out.

It's heavily implied he does. Even if that bit was originally planned in the beginning, the son should've been wounded or something. But no, not a scratch, broken arm or anything else at the ex-wife's parents' house. Spielberg was willing to off characters in Schindler's List and Munich, but no, he let his heart do the talking here. Not always a good thing.

War of the Worlds (2005)

It's still a taut, entertaining, and ruthlessly efficient pic. Williams' score is beautifully atonal and mournful, and most of the performances aren't great but good enough. But that cop-out ending.... I still want to punch Spielberg one good one for that. For all those people angry at Crystal Skull, I feel the same way about this film's ending. Just infuriating.

While it does bother me that the son survived, on the whole, I really like the film's ending. I always thought the book's ending, while logical, was a bit disappointing, just having the aliens get sick and die. I appreciated that the film had the scene of the army taking the tripod down, giving the audience the sense of we won without us actually winning, keeping the original ending intact.

While it does bother me that the son survived, on the whole, I really like the film's ending. I always thought the book's ending, while logical, was a bit disappointing, just having the aliens get sick and die. I appreciated that the film had the scene of the army taking the tripod down, giving the audience the sense of we won without us actually winning, keeping the original ending intact.

The ending itself is fine, but that whole son thing nearly sinks all that goodwill. I didn't like the son character anyway, but to pull a cop-out like that is unforgivable. If you're going to kill a key character off, do it. Don't flirt with the idea and change your mind at the end.

Unlike Marian, Chaac doesn't understand the gist of what I was saying. It's awfully quiet around this movie. Where's the buzz?

I honestly wasn't aware of it at all, or of Zemeckis finally returning to live action.

The ending itself is fine, but that whole son thing nearly sinks all that goodwill. I didn't like the son character anyway, but to pull a cop-out like that is unforgivable. If you're going to kill a key character off, do it. Don't flirt with the idea and change your mind at the end.

there it is, you didn't like the son character which is the reason you're unhappy because as I said nothing indicates one way or the other that Robbie died.

my only problem with the movie is that the tripods were already there. when it comes to the ending I've got no problem, I think it's a fun movie. Still nothing beats the original 50's version. It's near perfect and infinitely watchable.

I remember watching the 50's version as a kid after reading the book and finding it very disappointing. It didn't stimulate my imagination or my emotions in any way when compared to the book.

I remember watching the 50's version as a kid after reading the book and finding it very disappointing. It didn't stimulate my imagination or my emotions in any way when compared to the book.

you still are a kid, and a book set in the book is set in a different era than either film. regardless if you like it or not the 50's version is a film classic.

the effects in the 50's version are just amazing for that time. I love the martian ships.

there it is, you didn't like the son character which is the reason you're unhappy because as I said nothing indicates one way or the other that Robbie died.

Can't speak for Matt, but my own reasons are very different to that. The whole father/son dynamic in the movie consists of angst, frustration and resentment. The two clearly do not get along and by all accounts the son has very little respect for his father. In that moment on the hill, it is clearly implied, albeit under extreme duress, that the father agrees to let his son fight the war and part ways, in what is for both of them the end of days. There's a fleeting moment of mutual respect and loss between them, and the decision is without reservation - it is ultimate and absolute. It's supposed to be a primeval flight or fight observation: the son is given approval by his father to meet his certain doom, and die fighting.

It would have been FAR more effective and creditable if Spielberg had saw it through, instead of resurrecting the son from his blatant offscreen death for a badly judged resolution. As it is, Spielberg copped-out and undone much of the decent work he'd done before that point. He undermined the movie. The father's relationship with his son actually becomes strengthened by way of extremely suspect and downright bogus means; that's because in Spielberg's apocalypse, there is no loss.

Nah, it's a bit more complicated than not just liking a character.

"Nothing that indicates [his death]" Seriously?! You must have been in the urinal.

Flight opened well for a fall picture. Entertainment Weekly gave it and A, Skyfall an A, and Lincoln and A. Both are my next planed films.

I feel the same way. I'm really interested to see if PTA releases an extended cut of some kind. Nearly all of the footage in the trailer is absent in the final cut. Perhaps from studio pressure to keep the running time down, but PTA doesn't seem like the director a studio would limit.

PTA has had final cut since Magnolia, so any decision to strip away footage would have been between him and his editors. I seriously doubt he's planning an extended cut, but he recently confirmed that a 20-minute montage of all the extra material will be on the DVD/Bluray: http://www.slashfilm.com/paul-thomas-anderson-screens-20-minutes-of-deleted-and-extended-scenes-from-the-master/

THE THREE STOOGES

I love slapping movies. The duo of Spencer/Hill are a german favourite, so i was delighted to see again faces flattened in gorgeous regularity, nun's heads being dragged against fire hydrants and all sorts of cruel beatings packed in a neat 85-minute movie where even the morale-thumping story necessities are held in check. Best Farrelly movie in a long time and recommended to any serious fan of bar brawls and overloud cheekslap sound effects.

The Accidental Tourist

Really good film. It was nice to watch a film about flesh-and-blood, three-dimensional people, dealing with life situations without caricature. Kathleen Turner isn't painted as a villain, when she could so easily be. The situation simply is what it is and these people have to sort through it. The tone is balanced very nicely, serious where it needs to be but with a sympathetic touch and good-natured dose of humor. The performances ranged from enjoyable to excellent--the scene when Macon goes to Muriel's house to leave the note was just beautifully done on the part of Kasdan, Hurt, and Davis. Loved Williams's score, and John Bailey's cinematography was absolutely lovely. Recommended!

Oh I watched Mulholland Drive last night, one of David Lynch's finest.

Karol

Another thing I watched lately.

MV5BMTgxODQyNTY0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjMwMjU0Nw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

While great (or even good) film it isn't, I must say it has one of most impressively choreographed fight scenes I've ever seen. They're so well done, I didn't care for plot (non-existent, for that matter). Very cinematic and brutal at the same time. Filmed in this gritty modern fashion, but I can follow it just fine. Here is a sample:

[media=]

Karol