What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I said earlier this year the Skyfall would become the first Bond to reach modern Blockbuster status and actually be the first Bond film to break 200 million dollars, and it's well on it's way, estimated 90 million for the weekend.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Sequel to Elizabeth, which surrounded a stunning Cate Blanchett with a story about political intrigue, plausible romance, murder and death filmed in beautiful if castles and cathedrals, with the stars wearing sumptuous costumes.

The Golden Age does all that, but this time the story often feels like a cheap romance novel. The first film was wildly historically inaccurate, but FELT right.

Watching this one, one feels the moment when the films moves back and forth from historical fact too cheap drama.

Blanchett is strong though, she commands the screen like her character commanded her empire, with confidence and conviction. Clive Owen almost matches her is presence, but his character of Walter Raleigh is written as little more then a Mills & Boone romantic hero. Ever at need when his Queen calls her, and seemingly destroying the Spanish Armada all on his own.

The film looks rather gorgeous, but the big battle in the end seems lacking in drama. They tried to spice if up by putting Clive Owen in it (his character want in real life), but since Good Queen Bess doesn't actually go to war, all we nee is boats being blown up and unnamed extra's dying. The scene feels unconnected to the rest of the film.

The score by Craig Armstrong and A.R. Rahman is often too overbearing and too modern. Zimmer like dark arpeggio's plague especially the early part of the film. There is good stuff in it, but it's sooo present, sooo much of the time.

It's surprising how patriotic this movie feels. If you are a bit of an Anglophile (which I must admit I am) one can not help being swayed by some of the scenes.

The first film was outstanding, this one tries to beat it visually and audio wise, but it needed a better script.

** 1/2 out of ****

Agreed. The first film was great, but the sequel just felt incredibly cheap. The romance bogs the film down to the point of ridicule. At the very least Cate Blanchett tries to salvage what little there is in the film. But where the first film makes you admire the woman (despite all its historical inaccuracy), this sequel completely turns you off to her.

Visually impressive for a costume drama, and some good acting from some (not all). I also appreciated the score (I really enjoyed the dark portions by Rahman), but it was indeed overbearing in context.

Sweeny Todd, the Demon of Barber Street. It's a wonderfully bizarre, dark, black comedy, and a tragedy in the truest sense of the word. Depp is dynamic and sad.

The Wizard Of Oz is a true classic and masterpiece. It can't be remade because it's so definite (read: exactly what it should be). Strangely enough, in spite of its iconic status, the film did not do that well at the box-office.

Alex

It must be a blessing to all parents that children love to see the same thing over and over again.

You don't know the half of it! The BBC's CBeebies schedule is known to me like the script in Jaws and the music in ET. I've never seen so many never ending repeats in my life. It gets to the point where children's tv becomes ingrained into your brain. Thankfully, the iPad is my saviour (when I'm not being forced to play "horsey" for the umpteenth time). Helps make the hours get nearer bedtime.

I wouldn't let an infant watch movies like The Wizard Of Oz or Wild At Heart.

Yes, I wouldn't let an infant watch a David Lynch movie either. What an odd comment.

I remember fondly from my own childhood watching the same stuff over and over and over again.

When my mom wanted me and my sister to goto sleep and we because fussy because we were waiting for Sesame Street she would secretly switch on the VHS and let us watch an ep thinking we were watching regular TV. And went to bed like good little children afterwards.

Parents have to be inventive

Inventiveness is wearing after a day at work or at 6.30am. At that time of the morning the most I can muster is to knock a balloon back and fourth. Rather than think of things to do at home though I'm more the sort of parent who prefers to take the kids out somewhere, where they can interact and charge around like nutters.

But yeah, it's funny, I often think about how on earth humanity coped before children's tv. It's just so indispensable when you just need a little break and a cuppa. Cbeebies is the only channel allowed though, being that it's purely educational based with no commercials advertising the latest toys. It's really quite brilliant.

And yeah, like you, I too remember happily watching the same things over and over. The Goonies and Bakshi's LotR were my own particular poison ;)

I had 2 kids here a few months ago and started downloading kids shows ASAP just so they found stop mobbing me for attention or go around the place looking for stuff to play with.

When they were in front of the TV, they were transfixed and I could actually use my phone without it being grabbed from my hands.

after watching Sweeney Todd I walked the Green Mile, today I have a double header of War of the Worlds and When Worlds Collide.

The Matrix: That was a long time ago! Looks pretty amazing on Blu-ray. I didn't expect that. Very clean. And the photography, lighting, sets and effects are still great. The weakest aspect of the movie is Keanu Reeves but it doesn't seem to matter at all. He still manages to take you on a trip that's better than Star Wars. There, I said it! 10/10

matrix-blu-ray2.jpg

Alex

The film was always a five starrer. I need to watch it again as well, it's been years and only on DVD (where it still looks striking). When I've got spare funds I'll look out for a cheap Blu of it.

Also, dat score.

The weakest aspect of the movie is Keanu Reeves but it doesn't seem to matter at all. He still manages to take you on a trip that's better than Star Wars. There, I said it! 10/10

Reeves was one of the happy exceptions from the rule that action heroes always have to be dumb marine types. Recent cases in point are movies like AVATAR, even Daniel Craig as Bond plays to that angle now (the meeting with Q isn't suave or witty anymore; it's played like 'You have brains, but i fucking don't care because you're a clowny nerd and i have muscles and the gals love my scruffi-ness'.

I forgot to mention, Mr. Smith as the villain, I (still) love it. He's threatening and humorous (the dialog and the way he says it) at the same time.

The weakest aspect of the movie is Keanu Reeves but it doesn't seem to matter at all. He still manages to take you on a trip that's better than Star Wars. There, I said it! 10/10

Reeves was one of the happy exceptions from the rule that action heroes always have to be dumb marine types. Recent cases in point are movies like AVATAR, even Daniel Craig as Bond plays to that angle now (the meeting with Q isn't suave or witty anymore; it's played like 'You have brains, but i fucking don't care because you're a clowny nerd and i have muscles and the gals love my scruffi-ness'.

They weren't going for a dumb marine type of muscle guy. They were going for a nerdy type (someone who is afraid of standing on a ledge), someone like you or me, and that transforms into 'the one'. You know, someone like Luke Skywalker, but I would argue that Mark Hamill is a better actor than Reeves, even though some have said that Hamill's acting is the weakest aspect of Star Wars as well. Of course, I disagree. To me, Luke Skywalker in Star Wars is the perfect embodiment of 'The One', beating even Dorothy (Judy Garland) of The Wizard Of Oz.

Alex

They weren't going for a dumb marine type of muscle guy. They were going for a nerdy type (someone who is afraid of standing on a ledge), someone like you or me, and that transforms into 'the one'.

Alex, i know that. I just pointed out that it is one of the rare films to do that instead of celebrating the dumb hero who loves to bow to higher forces.

Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2

It's strictly for the Twi-hards (who will love it), but I did get some guilty pleasure out of it. Unlike last year's Part 1, there's more story and genuine plot movement that'll keep most people engaged. Pattinson & Stewart do get a few actual scenes where they emote expressions other than boredom, angst, smirking or pouting (Lautner is a lost cause now). The actual battle hinted at in the trailers actually delivers on most fronts, even if the bloodless carnage is astonishingly graphic for PG-13. Carter Burwell actually builds upon the tone he established in the previous film, and it really is something to behold. I think Burwell's scores for Breaking Dawn are probably one of his finest... if you can believe that.

I've heard nothing but good things for Burwell's score to this film. Who knew he could draw such inspiration from this dreck!

Burwell didn't score New Moon, Desplat did.

But I've never actually heard any of the Twilight scores before at all, or seen any of the movies