What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Asylum films are sometimes wonderful trash.

Haven't seen one yet. Maybe I should check out the Hobbit one they're doing.

By coincidence, I saw also today The Dark Knight Rises for the first time.

I was bored a bit, didn't move me, wasn't impressed (although the film tried desperately to impress) and that's all...

You're not the only one...

Lincoln. I don't know how I feel about it. Inevitably, I think it should have been tightened up significantly. I miss the old Spielberg with perfect 2 hour lengths and not a second of wasted film. I liked Daniel Day Lewis and the blind guy from Sneakers. Pacing was really slow and frequent awkward silent moments. Damn it, I miss Spielberg.

Lincoln. I don't know how I feel about it. Inevitably, I think it should have been tightened up significantly. I miss the old Spielberg with perfect 2 hour lengths and not a second of wasted film. I liked Daniel Day Lewis and the blind guy from Sneakers. Pacing was really slow and frequent awkward silent moments. Damn it, I miss Spielberg.

I don't know if it was just my neck of the woods (southeastern U.S.), but we frequently sold out the 3:25 and 6:45 shows of Lincoln on the weekend. Even today, the auditorium ended up being 75-80% full for those shows.

And what really annoyed me was the clapping at the end. It's not like Spielberg or any of the cast members are in attendance, so why bother? It's not a live play or performance. I get people appreciate a good movie, but clapping just feels... unnecessary.

Unnecessary? It's possibly the only hard proof that film still has the power to move audiences. I love it when it happens, such a rare occurrence. People storming out before the "Directed by..." credit even appears is unnecessary.

Unnecessary? It's possibly the only hard proof that film still has the power to move audiences. I love it when it happens, such a rare occurrence. People storming out before the "Directed by..." credit even appears is unnecessary.

I've been at screenings where the audience as a whole at some point started really getting into the film, to the point of strangers commenting it with each other and clapping at the end and some staying through the credits. I actually thought it was a great experience.

Yeah usually big films and midnight screenings have those types of crowds. I don't care even if it's something like The Avengers, when film as a medium still has that ability to make people happy, I'm happy.

I remember during the truck sequence in The Dark Knight, when Batman does the wall spin-flip thing with the Batpod, and there's that short pause, the lady next to me was like "Hell yeah!"

I only stay for the credits if it's a Star Wars movie or if I know that Marvel or POTC tacked something on after the end credits.

When you watch Jaws or E.T. on your BluRay now, do you clap at the end?

You know it's true. How nice.

Weird. I know it's weird.

I don't know if it was just my neck of the woods (southeastern U.S.), but we frequently sold out the 3:25 and 6:45 shows of Lincoln on the weekend. Even today, the auditorium ended up being 75-80% full for those shows.

And what really annoyed me was the clapping at the end. It's not like Spielberg or any of the cast members are in attendance, so why bother? It's not a live play or performance. I get people appreciate a good movie, but clapping just feels... unnecessary.

you've never experienced a great true blockbuster then? In Jaws the audience exploded back in 1975, figuratively of course. In E.T. the audience stood and appauled. But that was at a sneak preview. Star Wars, people were cheering...to this day the single greatest movie going experience of my life. Great films often elicit great reaction from a full theatre. Schindler's List had women screaming during the shower scene before they knew how it would actually end instead of the way the thought it would end.

I only stay for the credits if it's a Star Wars movie or if I know that Marvel or POTC tacked something on after the end credits.

Generally I stay through the credits if I enjoyed the film or I if like the music. But if I was bored I will leave as soon as I can.

you've never experienced a great true blockbuster then? In Jaws the audience exploded back in 1975, figuratively of course. In E.T. the audience stood and appauled. But that was at a sneak preview. Star Wars, people were cheering...to this day the single greatest movie going experience of my life. Great films often elicit great reaction from a full theatre.

I'd rather have people talk excitedly about the movie as they leave. The movie isn't a live performance... I get why people clap when they're pleased with the film they've just watched, but I don't clap after a good movie ends. It's happened not just with Lincoln, but Avengers, Dark Knight Rises and a few others.

I think it's more appropriate for an audience to clap if the director and/or cast is in attendance at that showing. (Mandatory, even.) It annoys me if that's not the case.

you've never experienced a great true blockbuster then? In Jaws the audience exploded back in 1975, figuratively of course. In E.T. the audience stood and appauled. But that was at a sneak preview. Star Wars, people were cheering...to this day the single greatest movie going experience of my life. Great films often elicit great reaction from a full theatre.

I'd rather have people talk excitedly about the movie as they leave. The movie isn't a live performance... I get why people clap when they're pleased with the film they've just watched, but I don't clap after a good movie ends. It's happened not just with Lincoln, but Avengers, Dark Knight Rises and a few others.

I think it's more appropriate for an audience to clap if the director and/or cast is in attendance at that showing. (Mandatory, even.) It annoys me if that's not the case.

you're annoyed because you were not of the collective. Audiences clap, big whoop. If you don't feel it don't clap.

Life of Pi:

I thought it was very good. Beautiful cinematography--probably up for an Oscar nomination--interesting themes, good music and nicely executed overall. The animal violence bothered me a lot, but I guess that was kinda the point. One thing that creeped me out and made this one of the scariest films I've seen--there's a part where Pi is swimming in the ocean and a few sharks swim past him. Then the next day he's hanging off the side of the boat, dangling his body about the water, and for a few seconds there's a shark fin like a foot below his back. It's only there for a second or two, but enough to know for sure that it's a shark fin (and I confirmed this afterwards with my friends). For the rest of that scene (and to a lesser extent the rest of the movie) I was scared shitless, fully expecting a shark to attack him anytime he was in a vulnerable position, but nothing ever happened. I mean we see a few sharks/fins throughout the rest of the film, but never in a sneaky way that's meant to scare the audience and never in a really aggressive way. It's like they just decided to put a shark fin in that one scene. I don't think it was supposed to be a symbol of anything, because you could have easily not seen it. Anyway, it made the viewing experience more thrilling for me than perhaps it was intended to be.

Predators: I can't even call it science fiction. The Predator alien just strikes me as some kind of native voodoo black magic tribe warrior. Next time, they should send Rambo or Tarzan to that jungle planet. Could be a huge hit. 4/10

predators-adrien-brody-006.jpg

Was he only well casted in The Pianist?

Alex

It depends. He might be a great actor not being able to convincingly play certain roles.

Michael Biehn is a pretty good actor, but is will always be more convincing as a soldier of some sort then he would be playing a WWII Jew hiding from the nazis, playing piano.

Shouldn't a great actor be able to play a marine convincingly? This would be child's play to someone like Laurence Olivier.

You could put Olivier in an Uwe Bol movie and he wouldn't be any better. Predators has a shit script. The film's only redeeming factor was Fishburne's short role.

I disagree, Koray. Liam Neeson still was able to give a good performance despite being under the terrible direction of George Lucas. Great actors are great regardless of who the director is. I'm sure history is full of great performances in not so good movies.

Liam Neeson did publicly quit acting for a while immediately after though, Alex. His good performance in Phantom clearly took its toll on him. It left him feeling spent and disillusioned.

Actors aren't infallible warriors of the screen. They need inspiration and direction to turn in a good performance, and I bet they'd be the first to say it.

Are you saying Lucas has somehow turned Neeson into an uncapable actor? I thought his wife died.

Actors might need 'context', background information about a character but I think you would be surprised about how little actual direction they need. Acting is their job, it's what they do. A good actor doesn't turn into a helpless baby just because the director isn't giving him enough 'direction'. Actors can direct themselves. If they can't rely on a director, they will rely on something else, another actor, a memory, experience, you name it. Have you never heard directors say "I didn't have to do or say anything"?

Alex

Neeson's brief retirement came in the immediate wake of Phantom Menace, many years before the untimely death of his wife.

Are you saying Lucas has somehow turned Neeson into an uncapable actor?

No. The thought never crossed my mind.

Liam Neeson wasn't that good in TPM. He had decent scenes, but still much of his dialogue was stilted and he was pretty boring, as with most of the PT characters. Maybe he was just playing the role of a Jedi or whatever, but Ben, Yoda and Luke still had loads of charisma.

Decided to watch the third Die Hard film as well. It is really enjoyable. The music as presented in the film is a real mess, though.

One more to go now...

Karol - who also watched the first one last night.

Die Hard 2

Awfully dated, silly and most of it doesn't make much sense. I enjoyed it. God knows why, though...

Karol

dated and silly but what doesn't make sense. the movie gods needed a sequel so John is going to pick up his wife at the airport while a Central American dictator is being brought to the states. Hell that part is right out of HISTORY. The convenience is it's to the same airport.

Liam Neeson wasn't that good in TPM. He had decent scenes, but still much of his dialogue was stilted and he was pretty boring, as with most of the PT characters. Maybe he was just playing the role of a Jedi or whatever, but Ben, Yoda and Luke still had loads of charisma.

He was quite good given the circumstances. The other bloke (Ewan Kenobi) could not make it happen at all. Neeson has that natural mentor thing going for him. The few moments he had with that little Darth Vader kid are proof of that. Another Star Wars actor that can survive the direction of George Lucas is Ian McDiarmid. Why nobody thinks of putting him in The Game Of Thrones series or Predators 3 ;) is beyond me.

Alex

I think he was probably the strongest part of that movie aside from the music. It's just bizarre he was even written in as a major character over Obi-Wan, when it should have been Obi-Wan that discovered Anakin and decided to train him. It's like Lucas decided to do everything wrong. So what I'm getting at is he was okay in it, but I have no fucking idea why he exists.

Die Hard 2

Awfully dated, silly and most of it doesn't make much sense. I enjoyed it. God knows why, though...

Karol

dated and silly but what doesn't make sense. the movie gods needed a sequel so John is going to pick up his wife at the airport while a Central American dictator is being brought to the states. Hell that part is right out of HISTORY. The convenience is it's to the same airport.

No, there is just something implausible about how people treat McClane. I know he's supposed to be one man against the world, but c'mon! The film just goes a bit over the top here. And what about this janitor guy? Other than that, I enjoy it.

Karol