What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

To be honest, apart from the endless commercials I dont have a lot of issues with the actual theater experience. I saw Skyfall 4 times in the last few weeks. Always the crowd was well behaved. I do try to go at times were there's a minimum of annoying teens.

To be honest, apart from the endless commercials I dont have a lot of issues with the actual theater experience. I saw Skyfall 4 times in the last few weeks. Always the crowd was well behaved. I do try to go at times were there's a minimum of annoying teens.

Ya, crowds in my theater are generally well behaved. It's just when its all the teenager flicks like "The Hunger Games" where its unbearable. I had a great time at Skyfall. And dramas like Argo generally don't have the snickering, talking or the texting. So I'm good with those.

Although, I do still remember the old lady who was howling at every line in Inception, as if they were all the funniest jokes ever. God how I wanted to tell her off....

I've barely ever had any problems at the cinema. I love the theater experience and I can't let it go. For me it's like an event, like going to see a play or to a concert. I like a good showing at night, with a few other people. Sometimes I go alone to escape from the world for two hours.

But I only go for films I really want to see. Or made be people whose work I really like. And that seem to have enough of a visual spectacle to justify it. And that are shown in the original language with subtitles. And that I really feel like seeing the appropiate evening, because otherwise I'll pass. If the ticket is too expensive, there is forced 3D or the release is months away from the original one I will consider not seeing it at the theater as well.

I try to get the theater experience for the films I've really been anticipating and ones that I've heard are really good. And they generally don't go wrong.

I dropped reasonably lucky with Skyfall in that the theatre was practically empty - save for a twat to my 2 o'clock in the opposite isle who managed to wrestle the urge to check his FB profile throughout the movie apart from just the three times the shakes got too unbearable for him to manage. Poor guy. I was pretty impressed, I must say.

If I'd have gone on Friday night it would have been like the finale to Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

bahahahhah! ouahahahaha!

:sarcasm:

An audience composed mostly of impatient fans. I don't think commoners would go see that at that hour the very first day.

I'll probably see it betwen the 17th and the 19th at a 22:00 or so screening.

I'm surprised to learn that you're a patient fan, chaac.

The theater experience is one I cherish, but has unfortunately been destroyed as the years pass by. No matter what movie you see, at any time, in any theater, there will be someone there to ruin it. Even if it's empty, the projectionist will muck something up just for you.

I'm like ridiculously OCD when it comes to my moviegoing environment though, so maybe I have higher standards than most. The Dark Knight Rises would have been a perfect experience had the screen not been fake IMAX crammed into a normal auditorium. At my seating position, I could see the pixels. Only drawback, there were only a couple other people all the way at the back and the sound was booming.

We went and saw Life of Pi in 3D. It was an amazing experience. It's a bit slow at the beginning, and sometimes the english Pi spoke was difficult to understand but the film is a visual treat if not quite the emotional experience some make it out. I loved it very much.

The theater experience is one I cherish, but has unfortunately been destroyed as the years pass by. No matter what movie you see, at any time, in any theater, there will be someone there to ruin it.

Like you've never impeded someone else's enjoyment of a movie, or anything else for that matter. :rolleyes:

It's interesting, I've heard a lot of complaints over the years about the modern theater experience, but I've only rarely run into anything that has seriously distracted me. There was one guy coughing all the way through the first 30 minutes of There Will Be Blood (I still walked out thinking it was the best movie of the year), and lots of continuous teenage chattering when I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (saw the film again in a totally empty theater and had the exact same like-but-not-love reaction) but other than those incidents, nothing to speak of other than the occasional phone ring, audible comment from an audience member, walk-out, or popcorn bag rustle during a quiet moment.

I would probably quit going if all of the above was happening all at once, every time I went to the theater, but it's never the case. Maybe a few times a year, a single instance of one of those things will take me out of a movie, and while it's mildly annoying for a few seconds, it's pretty easy to forget once it's stopped.

Knock on wood, of course.

I've never had a really bad movie experience as far as really rude people. I did have to tell someone to turn off their cell phone one time and the guy mouthed back that it was important, and I told him to take it outside.

The projectionist, serious LOL! Reminds me of A.I. on opening day, the film got screwed up during the scene where David is talking to the robot. That ending was already going on and on, it became unbearable when that happened.

As for modern movie audiences, Titanic 3D IMAX had the worst of them. Phones lighting up, guys yelling "OOOH!" when Rose gets slapped, joking during the climactic scenes in the water. But fuck 'em, they couldn't ruin it.

The one that always bothers me are parents bringing little kids to a movie. You can't afford a babysitter, but you can afford to bring your crying brat into Skyfall?

In the Life of Pi,

I choose the first story and reject the idea that the second was true. Of course the correct answer is whatever a person chooses to believe. I believe in Richard Parker.

btw Prometheus is no longer the best looking film of the year.

What I love about Arclight is that they charge full price for babies and kids to discourage parents from bringing them.

I haven't been there, but Alamo Drafthouse has a strict 'no baby' clause in addition to their iron-clad 'no calling or texting' rules. And no kids under 18 unless they're accompanied by an adult.

If they ever open one here in North Carolina, you can bet I will be working there. Nothing displeases me more than cheapskate parents bringing in babies and toddlers who shouldn't be at a theater in the first place. It annoys me more than the occasional texters.

I watched the extended edition of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. The story feels fuller, less busy, and a complete film than the theatrical edition. And Shore's music for this film is my favorite out of the LOTR trilogy... just splendid.

And am I the only one who thinks Two Towers was improved with the extra footage? I personally thought the EE cuts of Fellowship and King actually killed the pacing and momentum of the storytelling.

I do agree the extended ROTK has some problems, but a longer cut definitely helps to sell the idea the siege of Gondor lasted for much longer than you'd expect just from watching the theatrical edition. It just suddenly made more sense. But, overall, they are better versions and slower pacing doesn't bother me much.

Oh and the extended Fellowship at least shows that Lothlorien is an actual forest, as opposed to this weird plastic one you see in the normal version. I think it was important to show that.

Karol

I've said it multiple times, so, one more time won't hurt, I guess, but here are my feelings about each EE:

FOTR EE: doesn't change the film dramatically (in terms of pace, tone or anything else), so it's OK in my book.

TTT EE: greatly improves the film. More than OK in my book.

ROTK EE: A mixed bag. Some stuff was worth adding, some other stuff wasn't. The best version of ROTK lies between a mix of the TC and the EE.

The longer version of Fellowship has some good scenes that were worth adding.

I particularly like the result at the beginning with the two subsequent narrations by two very different people. It pulls you into this world, first with a general overview, then with a specific look at hobbits. And it works. It's not boring. In fact the sucessive atmospheres here and the transition between different tones are splendid. The only moment I would take out is when Isildur makes himself invisible with the Ring.

Then there are other good additions, like everybody following Frodo, who has no idea where to go once he steps out of the door, or when Sam tries to recite a poem about Gandalf, or when Frodo asks Aragorn about Lúthien. It works as a fuller, neater film. I wish they had explored the Frodo character a bit more and that they had put Sam in the Mirror scene.

Isildur being shown disappearing and Bilbo's frantic panic over his precious in his pocket at Bag End are really bad additions in Fellowship. Enough to make me prefer the theatrical cut.

There were definitely some scenes in the EEs of Fellowship and King that I loved (like Galadriel's presents to the Fellowship and more Eowyn/Faramir scenes)... but having extraneous things like the extended prologue or having an Orc stalk a crippled Eowyn just aren't necessary. Not to mention Saruman's death by Grimtongue at the beginning of King slams the film to a screeching halt.

Every addition to The Two Towers warrants it.

So, how do you feel about the other cast songs (Viggo in FOTR, Boyd and Viggo in ROTK) ?

The former is pointless fan service which not grinds the already slow pace to a halt but again feels completely out of place. "She died. Right, off we go!" Lol.

The other two I love. Probably because they are not only stunning moments in their own right but also tied directly to the main story arc. They fit.

The former is pointless fan service which not grinds the already slow pace to a halt but again feels completely out of place. "She died. Right, off we go!" Lol.

I have no problem with the pace there. There's always stuff going on in the film. If it manages to maintain that strength, a film that tells many things and never becomes boring can last four hours if necesary. It seems to me that sometimes you're anxious to be sitting down watching the film the least time possible.

And I think these little things make Aragorn a more interesting character than he is in the theatrical cuts. He has a sad look and you wonder what he is really thinking about. It's also interesting because a few minutes later his particular Lúthien will be chased very closely by the Nazgul that are following them.

There were definitely some scenes in the EEs of Fellowship and King that I loved (like Galadriel's presents to the Fellowship and more Eowyn/Faramir scenes)... but having extraneous things like the extended prologue or having an Orc stalk a crippled Eowyn just aren't necessary. Not to mention Saruman's death by Grimtongue at the beginning of King slams the film to a screeching halt.

Every addition to The Two Towers warrants it.

the regular edition of TTT is just to damned long, anything added would be unbearable. for me that is, as if I needed to say that.