What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

So is it fair to say you hate, or dislike it for the same reasons as King?

pretty much. However my dislike of the film was my own without knowing about King's dislike for years.

the only reason I would have seen the movie to begin with is because I had read the book. I cannot take the book out of the equation because I read the book upon publication. I read King for two reason, one I love his style of horror writing and two he's American's preeminant local color writer. The latter was probably my biggest draw at the time because he alleviated some of my home sickness.

and I doubt my reaction to the film would change dramatically. I might not be bothered as much by certain plotting elements, but nothing can change the fact that Shelly Duvall's performance as Wendy is simply horrid, and Jack's performance needs some cheese with that ham.

really I thought her performance was a universal constant on what is bad.

hell even Stanley hated her performance.

but nothing can change the fact that Shelly Duvall's performance as Wendy is simply horrid,

???

hell even Stanley hated her performance.

??????????

and Jack's performance needs some cheese with that ham.

But that's like... the point of it.

I saw it too, I think 2-3 weeks ago for the first time and I was similarly enthusiastic! Especially with the last 15 minutes or so..

I just wished I hadn't seen the other TV movie first some years ago, so as not to know anything about the plot..

the ending, that another thing that is all wrong with the movie.

Agreed. This is why I liked the version with Steven Weber better. .......... * backs away * I know i'm going to be mangled for this one lol

to stay on topic though, last film I saw was HITCHCOCK . Pretty good. They really shouldn't have sold it as a " making of psycho " film. It was more about Hitchcock and his wife during that time. Still good though. Elfman's score is highly recommended

the ending, that another thing that is all wrong with the movie.

Agreed. This is why I liked the version with Steven Weber better. .......... * backs away * I know i'm going to be mangled for this one lol

to stay on topic though, last film I saw was HITCHCOCK . Pretty good. They really shouldn't have sold it as a " making of psycho " film. It was more about Hitchcock and his wife during that time. Still good though. Elfman's score is highly recommended

as King puts it the difference is hot and cold. King's ending was hot, Kubrick's was cold.

I forget exactly how the film ended. Still the Overlook lost so how could it be deliciously evil.

I've always liked it, but the ending is the weakest point, and now King's other works indicate that maybe it didn't completely die afterall.

I saw it too, I think 2-3 weeks ago for the first time and I was similarly enthusiastic! Especially with the last 15 minutes or so..

I thought the first half was much, much stronger than the second.

we're doing another movie marathon tonight so I can wake up late tomorrow and hopefully not be extremely tired during the hobbit midnight screening.

Watchmen

It's been a while since I've last seen it in full, but I think Zack Snyder definitely made a huge stride with this film after his last two efforts. It's certainly not for the faint-of-the-heart (like Rorschach's dark past and the graphic violence), and it's long enough in the tooth as it is in its theatrical cut. Regardless, the visuals are amazingly well-realized, most of the casting is spot-on, and Snyder gets points for adapting the ambitious, dense storyline into a workable film. And for all the flack Tyler Bates gets for plagiarizing Titus on 300, his work on Watchmen is surprisingly well-done... it's simple, melodic work but it's nice nonetheless.

There won't be another one like it for a very long time. Studios are scared of these type of artsy projects. Unless, of course, Man Of Steel will be the next one but I don't think it will be.

I'm sure somebody at the top has made it clear to Snyder that Man Of Steel must be appealing to a wide audience. You know, Superman belongs to everybody, and all that sort of thing. Even the knitting granny at the fireplace needs to fall in love with this film. They want a reboot but not a work of art.

OTOH, that sounds more like the philosophy of Marvel/Disney.

And since there is going to be a League Of Justice movie, Man Of Steel needs to tie into it, stylistically, that is.

Not an easy task for Snyder.

Alex

The Master of Ballantrae (1953), after Robert Louis Stevenson's book, the last movie Erroll Flynn made with WB. It's an entertaining film, but it isn't as fresh and original as the comparable Captain Blood, from which the movie takes several elements. I did enjoy it better than Against All Flags.

I'm sure somebody at the top has made it clear to Snyder that Man Of Steel must be appealing to a wide audience. You know, Superman belongs to everybody, and all that sort of thing. Even the knitting granny at the fireplace needs to fall in love with this film. They want a reboot but not a work of art.

And since there is going to be a League Of Justice movie, Man Of Steel needs to tie into it, stylistically, that is.

Alex

Just reacting on your avatar, that I only now noticed. Did you like The Duellists, the movie from 1977?

Just reacting on your avatar, that I only now noticed. Did you like The Duellists, the movie from 1977?

Do I like The Duellists? The last time I watched it, I was completely intoxicated by it. The Blu-ray is expected for January 2013.

It's a good film.

Do I like The Duellists? The last time I watched it, I was completely intoxicated by it. The Blu-ray is expected for January 2013.

I am very interested. Is the production not too much 70-ies, with the 70-ies hairdo's etc?

It's the best comic book film thus far!

The score is decent, but the songs and Philip Glass music are what make the film, musically speaking.

negative.

Alex

Negative.

to this point there is no connection with Man of Steel and the JL. HC involvement in that film isn't even guaranteed. Man of Steel per Synder is a stand alone film.

It's a period piece, MSM. Not at all '70s. It's all very classy with the most beautiful cinematography possible. Trust me, The Duellists doesn't look anything like them old BBC period dramas of the '70s, if that's what you're fearing. Mark my words, when the Blu-ray arrives, reviewers will be stunned. (hopefully, there's some restoration/cleaning/remastering involved)

The score is decent, but the songs and Philip Glass music are what make the film, musically speaking.

Oh definitely. But Bates' contributions definitely had their place in the film too.

As much as I enjoyed the film, I had no affinity for the score. The music is very functional, coloring the visuals. It's not claiming the spotlight. I remember Glass music during the Mars sequence (which worked pretty well), 99 Luftballons and Bob Dylan.

Alex - listening to bits and pieces of Watchmen on Spotify ... lots of electronic moods, soundscaping, ...

It's a period piece, MSM. Not at all '70s. It's all very classy with the most beautiful cinematography possible. Trust me, The Duellists doesn't look anything like them old BBC period dramas of the '70s, if that's what you're fearing. Mark my words, when the Blu-ray arrives, reviewers will be stunned. (hopefully, there's some restoration/cleaning/remastering involved)

Yes that is what I was fearing, also after having seen Duel of Hearts recently, from the same period. That movie was unwatchable.

But I am very much into period movies, so any good ones I havent seen are welcome! I will check Duellists out, you've convinced me :)

Batman Begins

It's been a while. The film has definitely one advantage over the other two - tight pacing. Not the most ambitious, but certainly the most easily enjoyable of the three. But then again, it is a quite a standard film that takes very few chances. I like how it goes nicely into the third film - all the themes and references. I'm going to watch the other ones as well.

One thing that bothers me: why didn't they keep Batman voice from this one? It was mostly just fine,

Karol

One thing that bothers me: why didn't they keep Batman voice from this one? It was mostly just fine,

I've always wondered that too. I don't know if Bale wanted to make it different... but I figured his Batman voice in BB strains less on his vocal cords less than the more gravelly one in TDK and TDKR.

to this point there is no connection with Man of Steel and the JL. HC involvement in that film isn't even guaranteed. Man of Steel per Synder is a stand alone film.

I doubt it. Nolan has been honest about his non-involvement with a JL movie, but he apparently changed his tune when someone asked him at the "Les Miserables" premiere.

Same with Zack Snyder. So they're obviously involved with JL in some capacity.

I would prefer that JL stand alone from The Dark Knight saga. We commonly think of great villains as belonging only to the "universe" of their heroes -- Lex Luthor and Zod fight Superman, Joker and Two-Face fight Batman, Sinestro and dark lanterns fight the Green Lanterns, though I can't really tell you you fight Wonder Woman and The Flash.

But The Avengers showed that if you want to have a really good cross-franchise feel, you break down the walls between the universes into one big toy chest. Sure, it meant that all of The Avengers just fought Loki, but any number of otherwise-exclusive Marvel villains could have been used (keeping in mind the sucky way the licenses are locked out).

And who's the best villain in the DC Comics universe? Not Lex Luthor. Not Zod. Not Darkseid. Joker. A Joker-Luthor team would be formidable and could certainly inspire the creation of a Justice League. Except in Nolan's Batverse, he's probably out of the question because the actor who played him is dead. Reset the continuity and you can probably reset the face of the character, as opposed to starting the franchise already painted into a corner.

I don't even know or care who or what Darkseid is. but he, she, it, is the villain for the movie, which is not a creative inspiration but a money marketed driven collaboration with little artist reasoning and based on professional jealousy.

I will check Duellists out, you've convinced me :)

OTOH, MSM, it's the kind of movie of which many people will say that it's all about style and no content. So beware.

Nope, it's not about love or protecting your loved ones or country. It's not a romantic movie. The Duellists is best compared with Nolan's The Prestige. I think Nolan and I gotta be the biggest fans of Scott's early period (The Duellists/Alien/Blade Runner) in the world.

I will check Duellists out, you've convinced me :)

OTOH, MSM, it's the kind of movie of which many people will say that it's all about style and no content. So beware.

It's in the mail. I'll wait and see :)