What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Spider-Man 2

It still holds up after nine years. Still very funny in places (especially the opening pizza delivery sequence), the story moves quickly but paced efficiently, and one of the few comic-book movies which completely justifies an altered backstory for a noted character (unlike Batman & Robin). Some people may scoff at Kirsten Dunst's performance as Mary Jane (especially in Spider-Man 3), but I thought she was fine here considering her character arc. The CGI is a little shaky in places, but it's mostly convincing where it counts.

And Alfred Molina steals the movie... his Doc Ock is fantastic. There's an infectious energy running throughout the film, and it feels like everyone involved wanted to make the best film they could. It's a shame Raimi did a great disservice to Elfman's score with the temp track and all. But still, a great crowd-pleasing film.

Then you are dead to me!

what's your problem with Voyager, It had the sexiest woman in all Star Trek.

Then you are dead to me!

I know. Janeway is the woman of my dreams. And that Klingon chick was the hottest alien on TV until that Vulcan chick came along in Enterprise. Plus that Kes wasn't bad either. Am I missing anyone??

Then you are dead to me!

Damn right! Although I'd use the plural instead.

Then you are dead to me!

Damn right! Although I'd use the plural instead.

I'm thinking Jeri Ryan all the way.

to you but not to me, I think she is also quite a beauty, but Jeri's got curves that are clearly borg enhancements.

Hey Quint, you ever see a stoner film called Grandma's Boy? It's about an aging stoner(35) who works for a video game software developing company. I had never heard of it until late Saturday night, we don't toke but still found it suprisingly funny.

I thought The Happening was a total joke. How was Lady in the Water and The Last Airbender?

I enjoyed Lady In The Water and I thought The Happening worked in a sort of satiric comical way. Don't think I'd ever watch it again though. The Last Airbender is godawful but worth seeing once to hear Howard's score. I actually want his sequels to happen just so Howard could have an awesome trilogy of scores. If you want quality storytelling though watch the animated series. Brilliant stuff, that.

The Lady Vanishes (1938)

Marcy and I decided to start watching as many Hitchcock films as we could get her hands on. Took me a little bit to get into watching a film so old (there's an opening shot to establish the town the first act takes place in, and its done with model buildings and cars instead of filming a real town from a helicopter - wow!) but once you get involved with the characters it doesn't matter what the media is. The plot revolves around a woman who is on a train and meets and elderly woman named Miss Froy... who is gone when she wakes up from a nap, and no one seems to remember her ever being on the train! It was a pretty good mystery with a satisfying yet unusual climax.

Safe Haven, a pleasant minor film with engaging characters.

The Lady Vanishes (1938)

Marcy and I decided to start watching as many Hitchcock films as we could get her hands on. Took me a little bit to get into watching a film so old (there's an opening shot to establish the town the first act takes place in, and its done with model buildings and cars instead of filming a real town from a helicopter - wow!) but once you get involved with the characters it doesn't matter what the media is. The plot revolves around a woman who is on a train and meets and elderly woman named Miss Froy... who is gone when she wakes up from a nap, and no one seems to remember her ever being on the train! It was a pretty good mystery with a satisfying yet unusual climax.

Woops I forgot, the first Hitchcock film we watched was actually

Rear Window (1954)

I'm not sure what I can say about this classic film that hasn't already been said. For those who don't know, James Stewart plays a photographer, Jeff, who is wheelchair-bound after an incident while photographing at a horse race. His girlfriend, Lisa, is played by Grace Kelly, and they have a very interesting relationship. She is young and beautiful seemingly well-off and popular, but Jeff is unable to commit to her. While he is wheelchair-bound at home in his apartment complex, he observes all his neighbors, and different aspects of his relationship seem to be mirrored or reversed in them. But in one apartment in particular, Jeff things he witnesses a husband murder his invalid wife and dispose of the body. But can he prove it, with the help of Lisa and/or his police friend Doyle?

The film is slow and deliberate, but never boring. One of the beauties of the film is that we only ever see what Jeff can see out his window, knowing no more or less than Jeff does as he observes everything. The plot follows a straight line and is easy to follow, with several scenes having you on the edge of your seat despite the majority of the film being of people talking. The only downfall of the film is the ending, which is very silly and very slow and plodding, exactly when the film needed to kick it up to its highest notch. The denouement is well handled, though, and overall it's very easy to see why this film is considered a classic.

The only downfall of the film is the ending, which is very silly and very slow and plodding, exactly when the film needed to kick it up to its highest notch. The denouement is well handled, though, and overall it's very easy to see why this film is considered a classic.

What exactly is so silly about the ending?

I wrote on here about the ending myself actually a few years ago. I said something along the lines about how hilariously dated the climax was. It's absolutely terrible! There was some decent debate about it afterwards.

Otherwise a very good film anyway.

The only downfall of the film is the ending, which is very silly and very slow and plodding, exactly when the film needed to kick it up to its highest notch. The denouement is well handled, though, and overall it's very easy to see why this film is considered a classic.

What exactly is so silly about the ending?

Have you seen the film?

I'll spoiler it for anyone who hasn't

So the bad guy realizes Jeff is watching because he saw Lisa show his wife's wedding ring to him from across the courtyard. So Jeff is alone, and the bad guy can be heard in the hallway. he turns off all the lights.... but the door is unlocked, and the bad guy opens it! This is all well and good. But then - then, Jeff just uses his camera to repeatedly set off his flash bulbs, while the bad guy slowly, one step at a time, lumbers towards him, stoppin each time a bulb goes off. What!? Why wouldn't he just run at Jeff! It was silly. The part where Jeff falls out the window again and breaks his other leg is fine, and everything after it, but the lumbering bulb flash scene was ridic.

That's because the ending is completely forgettable in an otherwise classic film :)

I hated The Lady Vanishes.

I loved The Lady Vanishes. (saw it for the first time a couple of years ago)

Yesterday I saw for the first time in whole, Grease!

it was enjoying..

Today I think I'll watch Baby: Secret of the Lost legend, with a Jerry Goldsmith score.

I know that it may be bad, but i love those 80s films..

I loved The Lady Vanishes. (saw it for the first time a couple of years ago)

Yesterday I saw for the first time in whole, Grease!

it was enjoying..

Today I think I'll watch Baby: Secret of the Lost legend, with a Jerry Goldsmith score.

I know that it may be bad, but i love those 80s films..

Grease is bad, Baby is good.

Why?

Maybe hate was a strong word, but it definitely didn't meet my expectations and was much more dated than I thought it would be (as you mentioned). Something about the pacing and story just put me to sleep (figuratively). It's too long at a mere 90 minutes.

Film night with my work friends was a re-viewing of Tombstone.

I'd originally watched it rather impromptu on Lovefilm and it had maybe 75% of my attention. Subsequently I missed many of the plot's subtleties, and I was persuaded to watch it again.

Much better the second time round, and the film's length and extended dialogue scenes seemed much more important to establish the growing tension between the Earps and people of Tombstone. What I've seen of Wyatt Earp (the Costner one) seemed much more oriented towards his relationships, which Tombstone wisely skips.

we watched Star Trek IV yesterday. thoroughly enjoyable film. entertaining from beginning to the end. I simply do not get the Hate for the score.

one of only two Star Trek scores to get an Oscar nomination.

Now You See Me

Slick, disposable summer entertainment. The strength of the ensemble cast (particularly Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher and Dave Franco) overcome the biggest plot problems, while veteran actors like Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine bring class and weight to the film. But the twist reveal and how the four magicians accomplished their various illusions is a bit far-fetched or not explained properly. Still, it's entertaining and it's refreshing to see a semi-original studio picture this day and age. Brian Tyler's electronic-orchestral hybrid score fits the tone of the Vegas-style magicians perfectly.

And I wouldn't mind a sequel to this. Just to see Eisenberg, Fisher, Franco and Woody Harrelson interact with one another again.

Film night with my work friends was a re-viewing of Tombstone.

I'd originally watched it rather impromptu on Lovefilm and it had maybe 75% of my attention. Subsequently I missed many of the plot's subtleties, and I was persuaded to watch it again.

Much better the second time round, and the film's length and extended dialogue scenes seemed much more important to establish the growing tension between the Earps and people of Tombstone. What I've seen of Wyatt Earp (the Costner one) seemed much more oriented towards his relationships, which Tombstone wisely skips.

Endlessly quotable film.

Now You See Me

Slick, disposable summer entertainment. The strength of the ensemble cast (particularly Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher and Dave Franco) overcome the biggest plot problems, while veteran actors like Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine bring class and weight to the film. But the twist reveal and how the four magicians accomplished their various illusions is a bit far-fetched or not explained properly. Still, it's entertaining and it's refreshing to see a semi-original studio picture this day and age. Brian Tyler's electronic-orchestral hybrid score fits the tone of the Vegas-style magicians perfectly.

And I wouldn't mind a sequel to this. Just to see Eisenberg, Fisher, Franco and Woody Harrelson interact with one another again.

exactly what Dave and I thought. They had to have had fun with this film.

I watched Godzilla twice in the last few days. One time was the Raymond Burr version, not so great, it's better without him.

Tonight its the Matthew Broderick version. It's only one because I'm playing on the 'puter and reading a book all at the same time. It's dreadful.

seriously how do the producers in hollywood allow something so awful to get greenlit?

The Hunger Games

I finally saw it in full. I have to say, Jennifer Lawrence is great as Katniss Everdeen and a superb lead (she should've won the Oscar for this role, rather than the Weinstein Oscar bait Silver Linings Playbook). She disappears into the role completely and you really root for her, and her character is a smart, rational one. The handheld look isn't quite as distracting as I thought it was initially, and the photography fits the nature of the film. Even though most of James Newton Howard's score was dialed out or rearranged, what's left is really beautiful and the more folksy cues fit the scenes perfectly.

Very much looking forward to Catching Fire now.

She was much better in Silver Linings Playbook than Hunger Games, which is a pretty meh movie.

The sequel looks good though,

Hunger Games was far too poor a film to garner her enough attention for the Oscar. I'm still not completely convinced her turn in Silver Linings was Oscar-worthy either--though I loved the film and loved her performance. It just seemed to easy and straightforward for her. (Maybe that's why she deserved it. I dunno.)

- Uni