What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

*sigh*. . . . Sometimes all I can do is shake my head.

Anyway. I liked Goonies.

- Uni

you have a problem with what was written?

*sigh*. . . . Sometimes all I can do is shake my head.

Anyway. I liked Goonies.

- Uni

you have a problem with what was written?

I know what lies at the end of this road . . . and it's not a journey worth taking.

No comment.

(And I liked Avatar, too. . . .)

- Uni

Really if you're going to start something finish it. It's a much more respectable path. I seriously doubt you really know what's at the end of the road.

King Kong falls off the World Trade Center,

The great white eats Pippet

Tom Cruise gets Timothy Hutton killed.

Up has ballons

Cartman gets a v chip.

The Wolverine

After that other turd from a few years back, we get a pretty decent Wolverine movie. Not perfect, of course, but solid. I loved the opening, in which we meet Logan some years after The Last Stand (and see some other flashbacks). It sets the lone immortal wolf tone quite nicely. Unfortunately, then it progressively loses steam. But still gets the character right and gives him a story that somewhat does him justice. Just when I was tired of Hugh Jackman milking this series, he managed to surprise me. It is definitely his signature role. The film is not much of a superhero story not until its final act, at least. It draws from samurai/western tradition and that is also reflected in Marco Beltrami's score, a very low-key scoring to be sure. The film is not heavily spotted, some of the action and suspense moments are left with no music. James Mangold is a definitely more solid director and the doesn't overplay stuff. His direction is very assured and he knows how to bring some ideas to the table, even if the script is mostly average. If you want Marvel Studios kind of thrill, or even the previous film's silliness, you won't get it. The pacing is quite slow and deliberate. But that's how this character should be. Surprisingly enjoyable.

Oh I really like that a large chunk of it is in Japanese, but don't understand why some actor switch to English in mid-scene even though the talk between each other. No reason to do that.

Also, being PG-13 doesn't do justice to Wolverine. Even though the film is more violent than previous X-Men films, it still backs away from it in a most hilarious fashion, completely taking me out of the story. Ah well, box office.

Karol

The lack of blood does the film a disservice. Notice the film is actually quite bloody, almost extremely bloody but its all on Wolverine. There are consequences to violence and sometimes it must be shown but it must be balanced.

But, overall, with all shortcomings, it still managed to surprise me in a positive way. I enjoyed myself and that's mostly thanks to Jackman and James Mangold.

Karol

Jackman simply has a presence that elevates his roles. He's a compulsively watchable actor.

- Uni

But he definitely lacked a strong film in the past few years.

His last solid role that I can remember was The Prestige. That's 6 years ago.

And yes, he's likeable.

Karol

Did he lack that presence in Les Mis? (I can't speak to it myself, having not yet seen the film.)

I'm really looking forward to his new one, Prisoners.

- Uni

The Prestige was an unpleasant film. I try to forget it.

I must call you on his lack of presence. Les Miserables featured a superior performance. He's marvelous and in any other year without Lincoln (one of cinema's alltime great performances) Jackman would be worthy of the statue.

Okay you admit you haven't seen the film. Its not everyones cup of tea but it worked for me.

I might see it eventually.

One more thing about The Wolverine: What really sold it to me is that it never tries to be huge or more spectacular than other blockbusters. For the most part it's character-based. And that is rare.

Karol

What's this, a proper grown ups sci-fi film right out of nowhere which maintains it's integrity to the end and without a single ruining 'bullshit' moment? Can it be???

NXbE00f.jpg

I just finished watching Europa Report and it was damn good. Realistic, well played (nice to see Embeth Davidtz again after 20 years), superbly economical (they made a tiny budget go a very long way) a pitch-perfect electro-orchestral soundtrack from Bear BcCreary, tightly paced at 90 slick minutes, tense and eventually pretty frightening; I feel like I've just stumbled upon a total gem and must tell people about it. 4/5

LOVE it when that happens.

But he definitely lacked a strong film in the past few years.

His last solid role that I can remember was The Prestige. That's 6 years ago.

And yes, he's likeable.

Karol

That is so true. What happened to him? He simply seems to indulge in his celebrity status these days. I mean, there was a time when he did things like The Fountain, not that I'm fond of that film, but at least it was a worthy attempt. The Prestige was indeed the last good thing he did.

I especially loved this moment when Hackman demonstrates he actually has a great theatrical acting voice:

17-angier-at-funeral1_zpse49c2e07.png

"You don't know?! ............................ YOU DON'T KNOW?!!!"

Alex

That is so true. What happened to him? He simply seems to indulge in his celebrity status these days. I mean, there was a time when he did things like The Fountain, not that I'm fond of that film, but at least it was a worthy attempt. The Prestige was indeed the last good thing he did

Alex

:down::shakehead:

Why did you dislike The Prestige so much, Joey? I'm curious.

Even if you hate the film, Hugh's performance might be among his very best.

Karol

I have no problem with HJ's acting in the film, he's always good. I just found the story an absolute contrived mess, very predictable. Who didn't see the twist with Bales character coming, but what ruined the movie was the twist ending. The film makes an effort to be grounded in reality (see the Bale Twist) but the science fiction ending was out of character with the rest of the film. The best thing to me was Caine. Nolan's continued use of Caine is a plus.

The s-f ending is still ambiguous, given that the only real descriptions of what happened were derived from two diaries, which, as you know, were part of the game between two magicians. Or half-ambiguous.

I think that doesn't really matter much, the twists. One, I didn't predict them. Two, they are just elements of the rivalry. I never really thought of it as the most important elements. The true story of the film is of Hugh Jackman's character who is ready to make a pact with the devil in order to surpass something embarrassingly simple. His downfall and portrayal is what makes the film for me. Next to an honest and non-armchair portrayal of Victorian London. Photography is very nice in the film.

But that's me.

If you could only take 30 movies to a deserted island, would The Prestige be one of them?

It's possible, yeah.

Karol

What ruined the movie was the twist ending. The film makes an effort to be grounded in reality (see the Bale Twist) but the science fiction ending was out of character with the rest of the film.

I don't think it was out of character at all. There were plenty of hints about what the machine was actually doing. In fact, I never saw the ending as a twist at all. Just conformation of what the astute viewer must have picked up on earlier. And even if you do see it coming, it's still quite a powerful ending. It fits perfectly with the theme of sacrifice and going the distance to keep up the illusion that runs throughout the film.

btw the Prestige gets an 8.4 at Imdb which is higher than Jaws 8.2.

yes the Prestige is a better film than Jaws.

What ruined the movie was the twist ending. The film makes an effort to be grounded in reality (see the Bale Twist) but the science fiction ending was out of character with the rest of the film.

I don't think it was out of character at all. There were plenty of hints about what the machine was actually doing. In fact, I never saw the ending as a twist at all. Just conformation of what the astute viewer must have picked up on earlier (and thematically, it's still quite powerful, even if you see it coming).

I'm sorry but in a film that is about illusions taking a Star Trek twist ending is out of character. Hell it's impossible then and impossible now. I'm glad you find it powerful, yes the constant murder of ones cloned self is powerful, it's not reprehensible. Yes lets celebrate Jackman's character for the reprobate that he is.

2 Guns

I don't know about this movie, the pairing between Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington should've been gold. They play off each other nicely with some good one-liners, but the movie just feels lifeless. There's not as much energy and infectious fun that was in 48 Hours and the recent The Heat. Maybe it's Bathasar Komakur's direction or the bloody violence. If you love either actor, you might have a good time.

I was disappointed with this.

I'm sorry but in a film that is about illusions taking a Star Trek twist ending is out of character. Hell it's impossible then and impossible now.

Even if the very opening shot already hints at the machine's powers? I don't find that out of character at all.

2 Guns

I don't know about this movie, the pairing between Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington should've been gold. They play off each other nicely with some good one-liners, but the movie just feels lifeless. There's not as much energy and infectious fun that was in 48 Hours and the recent The Heat. Maybe it's Bathasar Komakur's direction or the bloody violence. If you love either actor, you might have a good time.

I was disappointed with this.

we've considered going but there just isn't that tug to draw us into paying to see it.

The film makes an effort to be grounded in reality (see the Bale Twist) but the science fiction ending was out of character with the rest of the film.

No. It can come across like that, and it threw me off the first time as well. But the film actually very deliberately depicts electricity from the point of view of a pre-electric world. The ending comes across as a scifi deus ex machina from a modern day point of view, but it's pretty consistent with the world view presented in the film, basically going by the classic Arthur C. Clarke quote, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". We may argue about how well it manages to get that point across (not too well on a first viewing, I guess), but once you accept that key point, I think it's pretty consistent. Certainly from the PoV of the characters themselves.

I agree. And also, as I said in my previous post, this is not a mystery tale, but a Faust retelling. From that perspective the film makes perfect sense. And Hugh Jackman's performance is very central to this.

Karol

No. It can come across like that, and it threw me off the first time as well. But the film actually very deliberately depicts electricity from the point of view of a pre-electric world. The ending comes across as a scifi deus ex machina from a modern day point of view, but it's pretty consistent with the world view presented in the film, basically going by the classic Arthur C. Clarke quote, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". We may argue about how well it manages to get that point across (not too well on a first viewing, I guess), but once you accept that key point, I think it's pretty consistent. Certainly from the PoV of the characters themselves.

Yes. This. ^

Photography is very nice in the film.

Oh yes! BTW, I already count two references to 2001.

Is the science fiction bit the cloning bit?

I'm glad you find it powerful, yes the constant murder of ones cloned self is powerful, it's not reprehensible. Yes lets celebrate Jackman's character for the reprobate that he is.

Wait, what? I don't think you got the point there. What Jackman's character does is not to be celebrated at all. In the end, The Prestige has quite a tragic outcome for both magicians and they owe it all to themselves. It may seem like a story of the rise of two magicians, while it's actually about their downfall.

I think that is why so many people have problem with The Prestige - both main characters are essentially evil.

Odd. I think it's one of the (many) reasons to like this film.

Anyway. I think that is why so many people have problem with The Prestige - both main characters are essentially evil.

Karol

I wouldn't necessarily call it 'evil'. They are completely absorbed by feelings of revenge, obsession and envy.

:lol:

Anyway. I think that is why so many people have problem with The Prestige - both main characters are essentially evil.

Karol

you mean all three.

Karol

I wouldn't necessarily call it 'evil'. They are completely absorbed by feelings of revenge, obsession and envy.

which are the essence of evil.

So...it's like Breaking Bad?

Both deal with obsession leading to the self-inflicted downfall of corrupted characters (although of course Walter White's final fate remains to be seen), but Breaking Bad and The Prestige do this in very different ways. I wouldn't lump them into the same category because of their thematic similarities. There's too much other elements in both productions that make them vastly different.

Bale and Nolan together is the reason I've never been in any hurry to see The Prestige.

Which is a shame, because it is also probably Bale's finest yet. A very difficult part to play, I would imagine.

But then... it is probably not a Quint film.

Karol