What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The entire first half of the movie was pretty great. The biggest head scratching moment for me was the snake skin part. Wtf was that?

I was completely at a loss as to why she was in the movie, in organic terms. I mean, I get WHY she was in the movie, but she didn't mesh well with the overall story, and by the end of the film I still didn't understand what her stake in things was.

she was the mutant element. She didn't bother me, she was pleasing to the eye, but her purpose could have easily been filled by a non mutant.

I thought Iron Man 3 was terrible.

(Y)(Y)(Y)

I know Danny Boyle was working with a small budget, but still...

Budget had nothing to do with it. It was an aesthetic and logistic choice. It worked wonderfully well.

It's hard to see how anyone can feel this is one of the worst movies ever. Really?!

Oh yes, the second one betrayed the intelligence of the first movie. It was just a dumb movie. It irritated me immensely.

Actually I'm inclined to agree with this. 28 Days Later introduced a new breed of terrifying zombies but it does fall apart in the end. I know what they were trying to do -- the whole mankind can be worse than zombies stuff. But it's not something new, we have seen the same themes countless times before

Annoyingly, everything before that daft climax was superb. I'm actually very interested by the thinking behind the finale, but it's the director's ridiculous execution which undermines it all. Danny Boyle seems to have a problem with final acts, with discipline. Sunshine started out brilliantly, I thought yes! Proper hard sci fi at last, but then my eyes rolled and I sank into my chair as I watched it transform into a deadly serious Event Horizon minus the schlock. I've never seen a movie go from a potential 5 stars to 1 in such a short space of time and so convincingly. Erased from existence.

The Beach too started out pretty strong, but eventually dissolved into just another excessive pop thriller.

Trainspotting remains his outstanding contribution to cinema so far. Again, the hunger for success, the artist's desire to make a big impression, seems to enforce an almost regimented sense of discipline which can produce some of the tightest storytelling in the medium.

Agreed on Sunshine, even though I don't think it's that good from the start. It's just a weak copy of Alien. And no, IMO, there's absolutely nothing daft about 28 Days Later. The superb first half said all it needed to say about the infected. No need to repeat it on and on. Then perhaps the even more superb second half completely renews my interest by showing there's something much worse than the infected. Salvation turned out to be hell. Before that, it basically was another us against them. The whole direction and atmosphere are what makes this movie Boyle's standout contribution to cinema. I'm not a big fan of Trainspotting, I lost interest in the film the second time I saw it. To me, his second best is 127 Hours (for now, that is, I only saw it once)

Alex

Superman II

Even though I relish every time Terence Stamp utters his legendary "Kneel before Zod!" there's not much else to this picture. It feels terribly dated. The superfight at the end must have been pretty cool for the time, but there's too much slapstick throughout the sequence. It really undercuts the tension. Not to mention the many rediculous powers on display (Memory loss kiss? Cellophane Superman logo? Teleportation? Replication? Whaaaaaaaa?) And why is Lex Luthor still in this? There's pretty much nothing for him to do. The only redeeming factors are the mentioned hammy "Kneel before Zod!" and the movie's shameless optimism. No off-putting doom and gloom here. At the very least it's proudly fun.

Agreed on Sunshine, even though I don't think it's that good from the start.

The atmosphere sucked me right in, it felt authentic. The almost clinical air of what it is like to venture into the unknown, for what mysteries lay ahead of the voyage is what tickled my fancy, as is normally the case for that sort of movie. Then Boyle just threw all that out, all the work he'd done. Baffling. I went from high anxiety to a big sigh of disappointment almost instantly. Moon appeared set to deliver on that promise a few years later, but no. Just another also-ran. Thankfully I was eventually rewarded by this years Europa Report, which finally came up with the goods. I felt like I'd seen the surface of that Jupiter moon for real.

Superman II

Even though I relish every time Terence Stamp utters his legendary "Kneel before Zod!" there's not much else to this picture. It feels terribly dated. The superfight at the end must have been pretty cool for the time, but there's too much slapstick throughout the sequence. It really undercuts the tension. Not to mention the many rediculous powers on display (Memory loss kiss? Cellophane Superman logo? Teleportation? Replication? Whaaaaaaaa?) And why is Lex Luthor still in this? There's pretty much nothing for him to do. The only redeeming factors are the mentioned hammy "Kneel before Zod!" and the movie's shameless optimism. No off-putting doom and gloom here. At the very least it's proudly fun.

Agreed, it's a terrible movie really. But my god is it the ultimate guilty please, endlessly watchable.

Wow, I agree with Quint on 28 Days Later, Trainspotting, and Sunshine. Sunshine had a terrific setting and mood, and a weak third act. I still enjoyed it on the whole but the it could have been a classic if it had maintained the level of quality of its first half.

Anyone seen's Boyle's latest Trance? It's a disappointingly plot-driven (and a convoluted plot, at that) mess.

Argo

This won Best Picture? This increasingly mediocre TV movie? I assumed Affleck stepped up his game from his mundanely average The Town, but it seems he's stepped even further down from his great Gone Baby Gone. Desplat's score was nomination worthy? The score that barely gets 15 minutes to shine and has one super schmaltzy finale? I know the Oscars are politically driven bullshit but every year I like to pretend that there's some small semblance of value and recognition of talent in them. This was just Hollywood jacking off all over itself. Argofuckyourself.

Did you miss the drama, Koray? Argo is actually pretty light-hearted, almost to the point of being offbeat. I thought it was a nice and well-made flick. But yeah, the next day, you've forgotten about it.

Argo

This won Best Picture? This increasingly mediocre TV movie? I assumed Affleck stepped up his game from his mundanely average The Town, but it seems he's stepped even further down from his great Gone Baby Gone. Desplat's score was nomination worthy? The score that barely gets 15 minutes to shine and has one super schmaltzy finale? I know the Oscars are politically driven bullshit but every year I like to pretend that there's some small semblance of value and recognition of talent in them. This was just Hollywood jacking off all over itself. Argofuckyourself.

And you said I was moaning when I first saw it..

Karol

Have you seen Argo by the way Steef? I thought it was a terrific seventies style thriller, and surprisingly quite humorous with it. And I watched it on my phone!

Argo is what made me respond fairly positively to Affleck's recent casting in Superman 2.

I've never been. Do they all have awful, astoundingly inexplicable taste in Turkey?

I mean, some of the movies he says he loves...

He blows my mind on a weekly basis.

Indeed!

Are you guys saying the movies he likes are... turkeys?

I think in Argo Ben Affleck showed cinematic ability but to me there's something missing in the subject matter or the way he treated it. My favourite scene is the script reading scene with the music, which was the only thing I remembered after a week. But I think Affleck could end up doing better than this.

Havent seen it yet. But if it gets the Lee D/Alexcremers thumbs up!

It's not gonna change your life or anything, but I was very impressed with Affleck's confident grasp of the seventies thriller aesthetic and pacing. And the opening siege on the American embassy is, I mentioned months ago here, Sidney Lumet territory. It's an excellent intro.

Very entertaining and speedy movie.

Did you miss the drama, Koray? Argo is actually pretty light-hearted, almost to the point of being offbeat. I thought it was a nice and well-made flick. But yeah, the next day, you've forgotten about it.

Light-hearted? Take out Goodman and Arkin and you've got no humor or wit or fun or whatever you want to call it; and they're only in it for like 10 minutes.

Argo

And you said I was moaning when I first saw it..

Karol

Don't recall.

Havent seen it yet. But if it gets the Lee D/Alexcremers thumbs up!

It's not gonna change your life or anything, but I was very impressed with Affleck's confident grasp of the seventies thriller aesthetic and pacing. And the opening siege on the American embassy is, I mentioned months ago here, Sidney Lumet territory. It's an excellent intro.

Very entertaining and speedy movie.

Nah, Jack Reacher had the confident grasp of the 70s thriller. This felt like some dramatization on the History Channel.

'Light-hearted' not as in 'I'm laughing my head off' but as in 'light in tone', 'not heavy on the drama'. It's why you don't like it, Koray. It doesn't have that super burdensome, oppressive tone that you love.

Right, that's the reason why and not the weak script and direction. Lining up those prisoners to be executed sure wasn't heavy on the drama, or the dead silent slow drive through the angry mob of American-hating Iranians. Hate to bring it up again but - Jack Reacher. Ligh-hearted, even funny at times, yet still tense as hell with some great 70s cop thriller and noir influence.

Argo's just a mediocre movie made worse by the heaps of praise.

It is well-made, but not memorable and/or striking in any sense. Not sure if it can classified as anything more than that. An apt commentary on anything it certainly isn't.. Maybe that's the point, I don't know - failed to grab me in any case. And Affleck's acting was really weak, he should have stayed behind the camera. OK is the highest praise I can give.

Karol

Right, that's the reason why and not the weak script and direction. Lining up those prisoners to be executed sure wasn't heavy on the drama, or the dead silent slow drive through the angry mob of American-hating Iranians. Hate to bring it up again but - Jack Reacher. Ligh-hearted, even funny at times, yet still tense as hell with some great 70s cop thriller and noir influence.

Argo is a throwback to the seventies political thriller Jack Reacher is a contemporary action flick. While completely different movies, I both gave them a 7/10. I don't think these are memorable films. Fluffy stuff.

Yeah but Romão, I'm not being funny but after the year you've had I'm not surprised the spring of step the film has was lost on you.

As for Jack Reacher. I haven't seen it but I'm with my gf on that one: scientologist midget Tom Cruise as 6ft4" brick shit bad arse just doesn't compute.

Yeah, it's a light-hearted entertainment for all ages where group of likeable protagonists escape the zombie country. It's a prequel to that Brad Pitt film you liked so much.

Karol

Yeah but Romão, I'm not being funny but after the year you've had I'm not surprised the spring of step the film has was lost on you.

As for Jack Reacher. I haven't seen it but I'm with my gf on that one: scientologist midget Tom Cruise as 6ft4" brick shit bad arse just doesn't compute.

I'd never thought about it. I've pretty much disliked all the movies I've seen in the theater in the last year or so

His 'religion' has nothing to do with his acting. His size is an understandable issue for diehard fans of the book, but this isn't the book. The author justifies Cruise playing the part in the special features and was on set for most of the film, even having a cameo in it.

Ferris Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller's Day Off

An absolute peach of a movie that gives you a big smile on your face throughout the whole thing. even past the end credits.

If you had a bad day at work, if you lost your wallet, if your puppy died, play this one, it will cheer you up!

Ferris is one of these hot shot 80's kids that gets away with everything, get's along with everyone and life is going pretty good for him. If the role had been played by Tom Cruise he would have been an insufferable little shit. Played by Matthew Broderick, at his most endearing and Matthew Broderick like, we like him. Everybody likes Ferris (love the "Save Ferris" running gag).

Well not everyone. His principle hates him because he has skipped 9 days of school and is getting away with it. His sister hates him for much the same reason.

What follows is basically a road trip in Chicago with Ferris, his best friend Cameron and his GF Sloan (played by a stunningly gorgeous Mia Sara)

We see them visit a restaurant, a baseball game a parade etc, all very well executed comedy set pieces, while in the mean time the "evil" principle Rooney tries to track down Ferris and give him the worst punishment possible! An extra year at High School.

All of this is very well done and entertaining, but given an extra dimension because of Cameron. Where Ferris is a well-adjusted, angst free sort of teen. Cameron is a collection point of teen angst and frustration and anxiety.

Slowly the film moves focus from the merry antics to a more deeper story. Cameron (played very well by 30-somethinbg year old Alan Ruck) losing it and out of frustration lashing out and trashes his dad's priceless Ferarri. (a scene that's both hilarious and chilling)

Of the rest of the cast Jeffrey Jones is pitch perfect as Principle Rooney, and Jennifer Grey (before her career ruining nosejob) is both bitchy and endearing as Ferris' sister Jean.

My favourite of the John Hughes comedies, and still insanely watch-able today.

**** out of ****

You know, I almost feel annoyed and guilty that I NEVER got the appeal of that movie. And I did try it in three different decades of my life.

The best bit for me was always the Star Wars nod. Everything else? Yeeeeeah reasonably entertaining I suppose.

Skyfall

That was really enjoyable. Why didn't I see it at theather in English when I had the chance? Ah yes, I was reaaally tired after Life of Pi and I didn't want to keep sitting at the theater any longer.

I liked a lot the commentary on Bond and its evolution and relevance through the film put in several ways. Made the film more alive and not just a random adventure. It looks really good, great splashes of colour. My favourite part is the climax. But it has several of these moments that make me go "I like movies". Like the opening shot, or Bond jumping on the tube. Here we have another regurgitation of a trope born out of mixing X2 and The Dark Knight. However it's easily the coolest execution of it so I don't mind.

The Komodo dragon looked weird. Sometimes the old ways are best. The film should listen to itself.

I didn't notice the score much.

Yeah, that one is like....

What was Dustin thinking? Or Portman?

She has a kid now. She probably did it so she could have more kid-friendly films to show her kids. (Or maybe just to work with Hoffmann.)

If I was her, I'd certainly wouldn't show my son a film like The Professional, Black Swan or Closer.

Argo is a throwback to the seventies political thriller Jack Reacher is a contemporary action flick. While completely different movies, I both gave them a 7/10. I don't think these are memorable films. Fluffy stuff.

I have not seen "Argo". What 70s political thriller would you compare it to, Alex? "All The President's Men"? "The Parallax View"? "Three Days Of The Condor"? "Winter Kills"?

Yeah, that one is like....

What was Dustin thinking? Or Portman?

She has a kid now. She probably did it so she could have more kid-friendly films to show her kids. (Or maybe just to work with Hoffmann.)

If I was her, I'd certainly wouldn't show my son a film like The Professional, Black Swan or Closer.

If I was Natalie Portman, my children would never see the Prequels either.