What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I only ever watch the 2006 non-anamorphic DVDs too. I can't be bothered searching for the higher quality restorations they've been promoting at originaltrilogy.com because I'm terrible at looking for torrents.

Anyhow, the film moves wonderfully without all the junk that was added. One of the most beautifully edited films I've ever seen.

Almost forgot. I've seen Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland the other day. Not nearly as terrible as I thought it would be, but there's nothing to write home about either.

Karol

Some said Burton's Alice In Wonderland is a visual feast so I bought the blu-ray but I couldn't watch this film to the end. Even after all these years, Burton remains an uncertain bet.

Alex

Some said Burton's Alice In Wonderland is a visual feast so I bought the blu-ray but I couldn't watch this film to the end. Even after all these years, Burton remains an uncertain bet.

Alex

oh, so you hadn't seen it?

I slept through half the film.

I don't think I'll try to watch it again..

I don't understand..

If it's a kids' movie it means it's bad?

for example I LOVE Disney's Alice in Wonderland animation film (since we were talking about Burton's Alice in Wonderland).

I think it's a masterpiece!

The Director's Cut is quite good, especially when compared to the theatrical edit that rushes through the story at far too high a speed. Unfortunately, no amount of editing can save this movie from its bland and boring lead actor. Pity.

The Director's Cut is quite good, especially when compared to the theatrical edit that rushes through the story at far too high a speed. Unfortunately, no amount of editing can save this movie from its bland and boring lead actor. Pity.

Exactly. Orlando "Woodface" Bloom is just about as dull as dishwater in majority of his roles. You wish that Balian had died instead of his father so Neeson could have taken over as the lead.

I've only seen the theatrical; Can't wait to find time to watch the DC someday.

It's one of those "day and night" differences. I hated the film as seen on big screen in its short version, but DC is a massive improvement (not to mention an additional hour of footage). While Orlando is exactly the same, all the backdrop and world just open up. Of the latter Scott films this is definitely the most impressive. Less of a modern action costume drama, more of a epic fresco and fantasy on this particular era.

Karol

Of the latter Scott films this is definitely the most impressive.

True! Good movie overall with a few iffy scenes (the sword duel at the end for instance). Didn't like the TC either, it simply didn't make much sense .

Alex

I've only seen the theatrical; Can't wait to find time to watch the DC someday

When i saw this film (the theatrical edition), I thought it was the worst film I've ever seen in my life.

I didn't see any point in this.

I think Bloom did an adequate job. Not amazing, but passable. However the film is also has so much more going for it in its rich cast of supporting actors, vast scope of the story and those jawdropping visuals that I can easily overlook Bloom's shortcomings. And did I mention those visuals? Its definitely becomes more of an 'experience' movie.

I've only seen the theatrical; Can't wait to find time to watch the DC someday

When i saw this film (the theatrical edition), I thought it was the worst film I've ever seen in my life.

I didn't see any point in this.

The theatrical cut is indeed very rubbish. The DC is now one of my favorite Ridley films, up there with Alien and Blade Runner...and it gets better with every viewing. Admittedly I've developed sort of an interest in the Crusade ages over the years so that probably helped.

The theatrical cut is indeed very rubbish. The DC is now one of my favorite Ridley films, up there with Alien and Blade Runner...and it gets better with every viewing. Admittedly I've developed sort of an interest in the Crusade ages over the years so that probably helped.

i can't understand how an additional 46 minutes can change things for the better..

I remember being very eager to see that film because they'd shot some stuff in a place I'd visited (and I had seen some sets in place) but I was extremely bored by the theatrical cut, never bothered with the other version.

I enjoyed the score.

i can't understand how an additional 46 minutes can change things for the better..

Imagine The Lord of the Rings film that only tells you Aragorn story, or just Frodo, as one film. Just focues on the meat of the script. And everything that has nothing to do with their story gets scrapped.

Sometimes the best things about films are not basic stories.

Besides, KOH was never intended by filmmakers' to be two hours long. It's the studio''s decision.

Karol

Inspector Clouseau (1968)

The third film in the Inspector Clouseau/Pink Panther series. MGM made this film without writer/director Blake Edwards, star Peter Sellers, or composer Henry Mancini, while all three were busy making "The Party", and while the talents of all 3 are quite missed, the resulting film is actually pretty good!

Alan Arkin takes over for Sellers as Inspector Clouseau, and he definitely brings his own take to the character, never trying to ape Sellers at all. Sure, he brings the same strong french accent, immediate falling in love with the female lead, and general bumbling-ness and drive to solve the case, but Arkin spins the character in just enough of a unique direction to make things interesting.

The plot this time around concerns a large organized crime group known only as "mother" (members all have matching tattoos) who, having just completed "the great train robbery" are planning their next big heist. Out of leads, Scotland Yard brings in Inspector Clouseau, who promptly manages to kill two members of the gang in pretty funny scenarios. As Clouseau bumbles along, the gang's plot is slowly revealed and it's actually pretty clever: steal a bunch of gold and then melt it down and re-shape it into candy bar size, and hide it in candy bar wrappers than can be put on boats carrying chocolate internationally. This sequence was quite amusing to watch!

None of the supporting cast from prior films return, which means no Dreyfus or Cato, and also still no explanation of how Clouseau got out of jail following the events of the first movie, but no bother. There are some classic moments in this film including a scene where Clouseau and the new boss have a conversation while having to constantly move furniture to see each other; a scene where Clouseau tries to overhear the gang's plans but hears an old cowboy TV episode instead; a lonely Scottish housewife trying to seduce Clouseau; a trip to a Scottish highland games (was that supposed to be indoors or was it supposed to be outdoors and they built a REALLY awful looking set?), and others.

Though Clouseau is just a detective, at the time they were making the film, the spy genre was at a new peak of popularity (mostly due to the 5 James Bond films and Mission: Impossible on TV), so in this film we find Clousea getting gadgets just like Bond gets them from Q (the gags that result from the cigarette holder that is really a tape recorder he gets are all pretty great, as are the belt buckle gun) and the mother gang's plan involves making a mask of Clouseau's face that they can wear to impersonate him to make their big gold heist. Some of these feel like ideas that could have been pitched for a 60's Bond film and were rejected, but they work well here.

The score by Ken Thorne (yes, of eventual Superman II and III fame!) is no instant classic like the Mancini scores of the first two movies - however, it is actually pretty good, with a really nice main theme that I enjoyed a lot. In fact I'd love to own the complete scores to all three of the original films, sadly they are not available!

And thus ends the 60's entries of the franchise. After this entry, the franchise would lay dormant for 7 years until Sellers, Edwards, and Mancini all return to it with 1975's The Return Of The Pink Panther. Hope to watch that one soon!

Just saw "Angels & Demons" (or "Illuminati" as it is called here). I don't know how close the film is to the novel, but the film is very strange. A bit too predictable, and I couldn't really follow the half-mumbled riddles and clues. Not to mention the transported messages are questionable at best.

Overall a dissapointing prequel/sequel to DaVinci Code, which remains a great movie.

Imagine The Lord of the Rings film that only tells you Aragorn story, or just Frodo, as one film. Just focues on the meat of the script. And everything that has nothing to do with their story gets scrapped.

Sometimes the best things about films are not basic stories.

Even the basic stories of Kingdom of Heaven was mangled beyond comprehension in the theatrical cut. The KOH theatrical cut is more like an LOTR film, telling just the Frodo story, and then missing 30% of stuff that help make that story make sense.

Iron Man 3

I enjoyed this more the second go-round. I like how Shane Black and co-writer Drew Pearce twisted the usual 'third movie' cliches on their head -- even if most of the Tony/Rhodey banter is lifted from Lethal Weapon. And in retrospect, the much-maligned twist works well... and the actual villain's identity makes sense story-wise and theme-wise.

And as for people complaining that there's too much Tony and not enough Iron Man... they sure didn't complain about it in The Dark Knight Rises where Batman had even less screen time. Robert Downey Jr.'s persona is so infectious and energetic... it's so much fun seeing him let loose. The Tennessee-set scenes with him and Ty Simpkins are just a blast to watch.

Just saw "Angels & Demons" (or "Illuminati" as it is called here). I don't know how close the film is to the novel, but the film is very strange. A bit too predictable, and I couldn't really follow the half-mumbled riddles and clues. Not to mention the transported messages are questionable at best.

It's crap.

Didn't bother with Da Vinci Code but enjoyed the book.

Elvis is still alive!

That's for amateurs! I know someone (are you sitting down?) who actually believes the sun is drifting in space, rotating around some kind of cosmic center at a very high speed and that the planets revolve around the Sun in a spiral motion (like the spiral of DNA).