What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Kill Bill Vol 1 and Vol 2 back to back. Probably my favorite QT movie(s).

I also just realized that it is possible that Bill maaaay not be dead. Key points.

• The playing dead scene when Beatrix first meets BB.
  • Bill's Superman monologue about how Beatrix will always be a killer.
  • Beatrix's story about how she found out she was pregnant, and chose to walk away from her assignment (and assassin) suggests otherwise when her parenthood comes into play.
  • Bill vs Beatrix. Beatrix never unsheaths her Hanzo sword. Is this a test?
  • The 5 point palm exploding heart technique being told as a myth. We don't know if it truly has fatal effects.
  • Beatrix crying/laughing saying 'thank you' at the end...perhaps to Bill for letting them leave?
  • David Carradine's name in the B&W credits is the only one on the Death List Five which isn't crossed out or question marked.

I was very bored at work. Also after I came up with it I find out someone on reddit had came up with a similar theory months ago, though his was more intricate and was IMO reading into things a lot more than I did.

At first, I liked Vol. 2 more but multiple viewing made me realize Vol. 1 is the superior one. Don't really want a third volume. Everything that needed to be said has been said. Prometheus doesn't add anything either, it just deducts from the value.

Alex

It's thankfully but a distant memory now, but Kill Bill 2 at the cinema is still possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. I remember being gutted after the cool as hell first film and because of the fact I was driving.

It's a one film split in two, not a series of two movies. Not sure what is the point of preferring one over another in this particular case.

Nonsense. The two are night and day.

At first, I liked Vol. 2 more but multiple viewing made me realize Vol. 1 is the superior one. Don't really want a third volume. Everything that needed to be said has been said. Prometheus doesn't add anything either, it just deducts from the value.

Alex

At first part 2 seems to have less style, more substance. But I'm no longer sure.

It's a one film split in two, not a series of two movies. Not sure what is the point of preferring one over another in this particular case.

Karol

I see them as two movies. I believe Tarantino knew he couldn't release it as one movie and that it somehow played a part in the editing. With other words, if he could make one movie out of Kill Bill, the result was going to be different. Not sure if I'm making myself clear here ...

Oh yes, I get you.

But for me, the second films wouldn't have been so good without the pulpy first one. And the first one would have been quite forgettable, if not for the weighty second part. If I ever watch, it would be as a whole one film.

Karol

Vol 1 without Vol 2 is ultimately unsatisfying, as the ending explicitly says this is the middle (or beginning, chronologically) of the story. Now I don't see them as intertwined with each other as say, the LOTR films, but they are incomplete without each other...and watching them back to back was incredibly entertaining still. I dont know what music plays over the intermission of The Whole Bloody Affair, but I love the orchestral surge of The Lonely Sheperd as the credits of Vol 1 starts to roll.

The details in almost every image is earth shattering.

Many here complain about CGI being used too much and making films look fake.

Gravity deflates that accusation. CGI can be used to create scenes of frightening realism and staggering beauty. Most directors simply dont know how.

I doesn't deflate the accusation at all. It embodies it. This movie proves there are ways to use CGI to tell a great story without calling undue attention to itself. CGI is still used too much, and it unquestionably renders too many movies unrealistic and shallow. Gravity only makes the argument that much stronger (an argument you actually advocated in your last sentence there).

- Uni

After stumbling upon it late night and being intrigued by the synopsis I decided to give Safety Not Guaranteed a whirl. The quirky romance movie is not something I'd normally go in for, but this offbeat melding of Wes Anderson meets Spike Jonze love story was rather charming and I have to admit I quite enjoyed it. One wouldn't have thought that time travel could be a basis for a burgeoning romance between two oddballs, but it just works, and the delightful little surprise at the end even managed to pull off a sense of the romance epic on an indie scale, a crowd pleasing finale which was as wonderfully romantic as it was silly. 3.5/5

Also, I have to mention the girl, who was really lovely. You know when you're watching a newcomer and at first you're like meh, but as the movie goes on you feel yourself crushing on her more and more? The seriously cute Aubrey Plaza deserves success.

bf3d277.png

The details in almost every image is earth shattering.

Many here complain about CGI being used too much and making films look fake.

Gravity deflates that accusation. CGI can be used to create scenes of frightening realism and staggering beauty. Most directors simply dont know how.

I doesn't deflate the accusation at all. It embodies it. This movie proves there are ways to use CGI to tell a great story without calling undue attention to itself. CGI is still used too much, and it unquestionably renders too many movies unrealistic and shallow. Gravity only makes the argument that much stronger (an argument you actually advocated in your last sentence there).

- Uni

You are incorrect uni. Many people put the blame on CGI itself, not on the wrong or incorrect application of CGI, either due to budget and schedule limitations or lack of skill on the part of the director of the special effects team, or simple ignorance "CGI is supposed to look like that, right?".

The problem lies not with the tool, but with the people using it. Give Da Vinci a paintbrush and he can make stunning beauty. Give it to me and I can barely paint a living room wall...

Of course. The same thing goes for make-up effects, blood and gore, lighting decisions, handheld camera, lens flare . . . the list goes on. Any filmmaking tool can be misused by an incompetent filmmaker.

And that's always been my big beef with CGI: not directors who use it effectively to tell a story, but directors who use it instead of telling a story.

- Uni

Mark of Zorro

It's not as exuberant as some of the best swashbucklers out there, but Tyrone Power has amazing screen presence (and he looks and sounds a lot like Errol Flynn in much of the film) and holds his own against Basil Wrathbone in that famous duel. It's a fun little film, with a nice theme by Alfred Newman.

Just finished Carrie!!

WOW!

It was great!!

Sissy Spacek was outstanding!!!

Can't believe hadn't seen this, although I knew about it since my childhood.

its a great movie that has survived the bullshit Hitchcock comparisons to make it's own mark.

De Palma a king? With Scarface he made the ultimate teenage boys movie before Michael Bay perfected the formula and packaged it without the mature rating.

It was a long way from SCARFACE to BAD BOYS 2, that's for sure.

The Wicker Man (1973)

(final cut)

Very good film. I found it better in the last 20 minutes or so, but the thing that bugged me a bit was the musical side of it.

I was in a certain mood of suspense, and then a song would pop up and take me immediately away from it.

Of course, i understand, the songs were part of the plot too, so they couldn't be avoided.

(by the way, I want to say that i LOVE musicals)

As I said, it's just very, very weird. In a way which gets under your skin. It's an increasingly claustrophobic feeling, unique to that film.

Watch it and you'll see.

What do you mean you don't understand it? the plot?

I didn't see anything non-understandable about it.

It's perfectly clear.

What I meant is I've never really understood the film's appeal and cult.