What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Mixed. 5 minutes in one, then 5 minutes in the next. Repeat with 6 rotating stories for nearly 3 hours. Ugh.

OMG. And i wanted to see that film.

If it is like this, I believe I'm not gonna understand anything.

(although I have seen 21 Grams and survived! :mrgreen: )

Saw the classic horror films Halloween and Carrie a few days ago.

I found both to be somewhat stupid to tell you the truth. Halloween started out nicely but didn't build too well.

I must be the only person who didn't dislike that film. The score is fantastic though.

I liked it. Have to re-watch it though, I barely remember anything. It certainly was confusing.

I didn't think much of it but I didn't hate it. It certainly is a mess of a film, but has some merit.

Although I've got to say, Tom Hanks was bringing way too much 'Hanks' into his role. It wasn't always easy to watch.

TREE OF LIFE is light years behind, for me. The worst film Malick's ever made.

OMG we actually agree on something!

Carrie (2013)

Without Julianne Moore and Chloe Moretz, this would be yet another second-grade Screen Gems remake. But these two actresses elevate the material, and director Kimberly Pierce handles the twisted mother-daughter dynamic well (and Moore outdoes Piper Laurie by a huge degree). But it just feels... unnecessary. There's some minor deviations and changes, but a lot of it feels redundant and uninspired. Moretz does a great job of conveying Carrie without emulating Sissy Spacek, and her performance almost makes the film worthwhile. Almost.

If you're a fan of either actress, I'd recommend renting it.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

What can I say about this film that hasn't been said already? Induces a deluge of college-days nostalgia for me. And Richard O'Brien has a weirdly beautiful voice.

Although I've got to say, Tom Hanks was bringing way too much 'Hanks' into his role. It wasn't always easy to watch.

I've seen a short bit with 'Hanks and heavy make-up' and decided not to give this one a go.

War Games: I dozed off, but hey, how young they were!

23-Michael-madsen-wargames_zps35610df0.j

Alex

Cute score for "WarGames"...but I think that "Blue Thunder" is better.

Lots of synths, right? The film wanted to be a warning about the future: Computers are fine and dandy but let us not forget the importance of human element! The synths were used to emphasize the feeling of a high-tech, computerized world, but funnily enough, it's exactly what makes the film old. Well, that and the danger of the Cold War, of course.

Mixed. 5 minutes in one, then 5 minutes in the next. Repeat with 6 rotating stories for nearly 3 hours. Ugh.

OMG. And i wanted to see that film.

If it is like this, I believe I'm not gonna understand anything.

It's not hard to understand at all, really. Each story is pretty simple.

I must be the only person who didn't dislike that film.

No, you're not. Although I thought it was pretty underwhelming, given the great premise, I enjoyed it nonetheless.

LEGEND (1985) Director's cut

I think this would be great for a Halloween family viewing (goblins, fairies, elves, monsters, witches etc..)

Whatever is the negativity towards the script/story etc., one cannot deny that this is a gorgeous looking film with an excelletnt atmosphere and some goosebump moments!

The Jerry Goldsmith score is a masterpiece (his best for me - although not used in the film in its entirety).

I viewed aferwards some scenes with the Tangerine Dream score from the American theatrical version. Inappropriate, out of place, out of context, out of everything. I can't understand what they were thinking.

Half of the film's sublime magical atmosphere is due to the Goldsmith score.

I think I should buy the European Bluray too, because that is the version I first saw and loved.

Carrie (2013)

Without Julianne Moore and Chloe Moretz, this would be yet another second-grade Screen Gems remake. But these two actresses elevate the material, and director Kimberly Pierce handles the twisted mother-daughter dynamic well (and Moore outdoes Piper Laurie by a huge degree). But it just feels... unnecessary. There's some minor deviations and changes, but a lot of it feels redundant and uninspired. Moretz does a great job of conveying Carrie without emulating Sissy Spacek, and her performance almost makes the film worthwhile. Almost.

If you're a fan of either actress, I'd recommend renting it.

Ok I went to see it and I never saw the original, but just knowing the story a bit made it predictable anyways.

Anyways I found it not very good all around. I liked Chloe Moretz in the movies she's been in up to now but I'm not sure about this one. I know Carrie is supposed to be weird but she overplayed it a bit and the character seemed inconsistent through out the movie. Juliane Moore also overdoes it.

one of the decisions made in Carrie the remake was for Chloe to use her body to perform her telekinesis, where Sissy Spacek used her eyes. It was a bad decision.

Also the shower scene is so tame. The original put you edge the way DePalma filmed that sequence but this female director just really mishandled the material, her casting choices beyond the Carrie, Mrs. White, and Ms. Desjardin were hit and miss, and the ending was just stupid.

It was mostly all the posturing that was too exaggerated. Even someone very shy and withdrawn doesn't walk with hunched shoulders like that unless there's something physically wrong with them. Plus it didn't mesh with the middle part of the film where Carrie seems more like a normal girl wanting to get out of the grips of her mother

LEGEND (1985) Director's cut

I think this would be great for a Halloween family viewing (goblins, fairies, elves, monsters, witches etc..)

Whatever is the negativity towards the script/story etc., one cannot deny that this is a gorgeous looking film with an excelletnt atmosphere and some goosebump moments!

The Jerry Goldsmith score is a masterpiece (his best for me - although not used in the film in its entirety).

I viewed aferwards some scenes with the Tangerine Dream score from the American theatrical version. Inappropriate, out of place, out of context, out of everything. I can't understand what they were thinking.

Half of the film's sublime magical atmosphere is due to the Goldsmith score.

I think I should buy the European Bluray too, because that is the version I first saw and loved.

But now that you have seen both versions, which do love the most? The theatrical cut or the Directors Cut? I haven't seen the DC myself but I always thought that the road (the main plot) in Legend felt like a shortcut.

Alex

I haven't seen the theatrical cut in its entirety. I just viewed some scenes.

And i don't think I'll ever will. It would be painful for me since I love the Goldsmith score so much, and I hold the exact opposite emotions for the TD score.

Yes, I understood that you don't like the American version with the Tangerine Dream score but I was referring to the original TC with the Goldsmith score. Which one is the better (or least worse) film? The TC or the DC?

Alex

The narrative problems remain in both meaning the leads have no gravity at all, so you just never know what the movie actually wants from you on a dramatic level, but if you just view it as a storybook of moods and visual tableaus, it holds up much better.

I agree that the whole things falls to pieces without the JG score. The delicate but deft fantasy scoring sets the mood and when you turn it off, you're left with those damn pink bubbles.

Yes, I understood that you don't like the American version with the Tangerine Dream score but I was referring to the original TC with the Goldsmith score. Which one is the better (or least worse) film? The TC or the DC?

Alex

There isn't any Theatrical cut with the Goldsmith score.

unless you mean the International theatrical cut.

the versions are mainly 3:

1) American Theatrical with TD score

2) Director's cut with Goldsmith score

3) International version with Goldsmith score.

I have seen 2 and 3.

I saw 3 first, but i don't remember much since i saw it in my teens.

I prefer the ending on that one (it's different from the director's cut), but i'm not sure what i prefer in the rest of the film.

(probably the director's cut since its longer)

Alex

There isn't any Theatrical cut with the Goldsmith score.

unless you mean the International theatrical cut.

That's the original Theatrical Cut when it was released in Europe. That's the version I saw in theaters. It's not a theatrical cut to you?

Oh great! I had come to Brussels a couple of weeks before Christmas of 2008 I think.

It was very beautiful around the center or whatever it was where I was..

Very ideal settings for Christmas!

i strolled alone around there, doing some shopping, and sat in a cafe for a while for a dessert.

(i know it's irrelevant information, but thought to say it, because I loved it then)

It was mostly all the posturing that was too exaggerated. Even someone very shy and withdrawn doesn't walk with hunched shoulders like that unless there's something physically wrong with them. Plus it didn't mesh with the middle part of the film where Carrie seems more like a normal girl wanting to get out of the grips of her mother

It's also clear that the new film's score is lacking compared to Pino's magnifiscent score.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

I honestly don't get this film, or its devoted cult following. It's just a strange, stupid, bad movie. The songs are good, but the script is pretty idiotic. And Tim Curry looks absolutely scary in full drag... I want to gouge out my eyes with a spoon.

Where you're going, you won't need eyes to see.

Thanks for reminding me of that....

Also, strangeness and an idiotic script is the whole point of Rocky. It was supposed to be a mockery of B-movies, horror and sci-fi, not a well crafted piece of cinema. And that's to say nothing of the deeper metaphors involved, which are certainly enough on their own to merit the film's lasting presence.

John Carpenter's Halloween

Of of the horror genre's most influential films. Imitated countless times, followed by a string of sequels and remade, but never beaten.

It's strengths lie in the simplicity of the story, plot and characters. It has very little in the way of added fat. It's small budget required a very lean approach.

We are introduced to a savage killed age 6, and find out almost nothing about him, apart that he is pure, soulless evil. Donald Pleasance acts as much as his representative as his nemesis in this film, utter prophecies of Doom after the Shape has escaped from the mental institution.

The sequels would add layers of motivation to Michael Myers killing spree's, and tell us exactly why he is able to survive being shot, stabbed, burned, blown up etc etc... Halloween doesn't waste time on any of that. Michael is a fact, a emotionless killer like the shark in Jaws. Carpenter treats him like that.

He also uses the same approach Spielberg did in some scenes when depicting his killer. Via pov shots. This is especially effective during the minutes long opening shot.

The camera work is one of the things that makes this film so damned effective. Shot by Dean Cundy in 2:35:1 Panavision. The films large canvas adds to the feel of paranoia. During the daylight scenes the camera often keeps it's distance from the actors, making at appear they are being watched even when they arent. During the night scenes it seems like the mad killer could just jump from any or every corner (which de does a few times, to great effect)

The acting is fairly rough and ready, And the furthest thing from subtle one can imagine for the most part. Pleasance hams it up quite a lot in a few scenes. "The evil...the evil has escaped"

Jamie Lee Curtis is damn effective as one of the first examples of the "final girl" though. Even at that young age with relative lack of experience she has "star quality" written somewhere.

The score consists of a several simple, even simplistic themes and motives played on piano and very crude synths. But again that helps the film rather then detracts. Carpenters theme haunts you long after the film ends.

Where you're going, you won't need eyes to see.

Thanks for reminding me of that....

Also, strangeness and an idiotic script is the whole point of Rocky. It was supposed to be a mockery of B-movies, horror and sci-fi, not a well crafted piece of cinema. And that's to say nothing of the deeper metaphors involved, which are certainly enough on their own to merit the film's lasting presence.

I enjoy B-movies, as well as sendups of the genre, but even with the audience participation thing -- Rocky Horror just befuddles me. I just can't get into it.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

I honestly don't get this film, or its devoted cult following. It's just a strange, stupid, bad movie. The songs are good, but the script is pretty idiotic.

It's about sexuality, gender and a commentary on where American society was at in the early 70s, after the purple haze of the late 60s.

"And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time, and lost in space... and meaning."

Richard O'Brien's script is wonderful.

I enjoy B-movies, as well as sendups of the genre, but even with the audience participation thing -- Rocky Horror just befuddles me. I just can't get into it.

+1