What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Speaking of the genre, I've just watched The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. I can't put it into words or explain it, but the whole thing really stays with you. I just felt instant simpathy for the movie. And it's endlessly quotable

Speaking of the genre, I've just watched The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. I can't put it into words or explain it, but the whole thing really stays with you. I just felt instant simpathy for the movie. And it's endlessly quotable

That's a wonderful movie!

No matter where you go, there you are.

A truly unique film.

Carrie (1976)

I'm not one for horror films, I get scared pretty easily. Which is why I haven't seen a lot of the classics. But it was Halloween, so I decided to go with Carrie, since that's what everyone's been talking about.

Can't say I was all that scared but I liked the film very much. I thought it struck a great balance between the "high-school movie" vibe and the horror aspect. Laurie Piper was fantastic though, and gave me the chills. It's a great concept with two fantastic leads. Not sure how I felt about the ending though, seemed a bit abrupt, but that may have to do with the nature of how it was scored. I did like the main theme and how it was used.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. I also now want to watch the new Carrie remake. I heard it wasn't that good, but I'd love to see Julianne Moore and Chloe Moretz tackle those roles. I feel like I'd enjoy the movie just for that.

I just saw the trailer for the new Carrie movie, and it looks good! Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't though.

John Carpenter's Halloween

Of of the horror genre's most influential films. Imitated countless times, followed by a string of sequels and remade, but never beaten.

I think of this movie each time I approach a cedar hedge... :P

It doesnt make strict sense according to temporal physics.

Marty fading on the picture for instance...

Or the fact that Marty's parents' marriage doesn't dissolve after his mother gives birth to a boy who grows up to look not like his father, but someone they both knew from high school.

Or the fact that Marty actually realises his parents are different. Actually one can certainly critique the ending. Not only is it a happy ending because his mom and dad have suddenly become "yuppies"....OK, it's the 80's, it's an AMBLIM film, i'll let it slide. But Marty has no memory of growing up with these versions of his parents, no collective memories together, no shared experiences...

But it's OK, his folks are loaded now and they bought him a car!!!

It could have been hokey to have Marty arrive in the improved 1985 and show his memories update to what he would have experienced naturally had he been in the timeline all along. It is a paradox because he is no stranger to his family and Jennifer, but they are to him. But based on what he has experienced, he just goes with it. If anything, his surprise at their improved state reminds the audience that something has changed, in case anyone forgot along the way.

Thank you Wojo, I understand how the laws of movie emotions works. But it goes against temporal physics.

And what version of the ending would *not* go against temporal physics?

I wouldn't call any of these plot holes. It's just the way the concept of time travel works in the movie, consistent with its own rules. And it's not a case of "it would be a boring movie if it would be physically accurate" - because there wouldn't be a movie at all.

Indeed, if Marty's memories self-corrected upon returning to the present, to reflect what he should know had he lived in the timeline organically, well... In 1955, he doesn't exist at all, so he should explode or fade instantly, or at least have his brain cleared. No movie.

This becomes more problematic in the first sequel, when Marty visits the bad 1985, which he hasn't experienced to know his dad is out of the picture and Biff's boffing his mother. If his memories self-correct, he loses all motivation to correct history and the movie stops.

I guess a different kind of paradox in the films is the absence of Marty-shaped holes in time. It's not manifest in the original because he's not supposed to exist in 1955. But when he goes to 2015, there are two Martys (and two Jennifers). This assumes they are visiting a future in which they left the timeline and went back to it ok, allowing them to visit their future selves, which isn't disastrous.

But temporal logic suggests that if you leave one point on a timeline to visit the future, there was no doppelganger living your future life for you. You disappeared and now you're back. Finest example ever has to be DS9's The Visitor.

I wouldn't call any of these plot holes. It's just the way the concept of time travel works in the movie, consistent with its own rules.

Yes.

Or the fact that Marty's parents' marriage doesn't dissolve after his mother gives birth to a boy who grows up to look not like his father, but someone they both knew from high school.

Thanks for ruining all my adolescence.

Lost had the most sensible, paradox-free approach to time travel. Should be made the industry standard.

The title of this series was fabulous, cause they actually Lost me, during the first season!

Rapture Palooza

A total misfire on just about every level. It showed on my radar for one reason only: The cast - Anna Kendrick, Craig Robinson, Tom Lennon, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel, Taylor Labine, Rob Corddry, and Ken Jeong. Impressive! However, despite an OK-enough script for a short comedy movie that doesn't try to be too epic, there wasn't enough laughs and it had the feeling of too many ideas trying to be in one movie at once a few times. The plot is that The Rapture has happened, and the only people left on earth are the non-Church goers, including a couple in Seattle (Kendrick and the kid from Bones) who try to go about their daily lives despite falling flaming rocks, blood rain, swearing locusts, insulting crows, and demonic wraiths being out at all times. Craig Robinson plays the AntiChrist, who the main characters decide to try to dispose of midway through the second act.

The only reason to see this movie is if you're a big fan of Anna Kendrick, either her acting or her looks, as she's in just about every scene of the movie, and sports this dress for the entire second half:

Rapture-Palooza-Poster.jpg

He was good... all the cast was good I guess. The film was just... meh. Maybe it just needed a strong director

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. I also now want to watch the new Carrie remake. I heard it wasn't that good, but I'd love to see Julianne Moore and Chloe Mortez tackle those roles. I feel like I'd enjoy the movie just for that.

I just saw the trailer for the new Carrie movie, and it looks good! Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't though.

Moore and Moretz are simply fantastic, without emulating Laurie and Spacek. But the rest of the film... if you're familiar with most of Screen Gems' output (mostly terrible), it fits that mold.

I'd stick to a rental. The actresses and director deserved a better film.

I rewatched Man of Steel tonight. I recall that when I saw it in the theater my mouth was literally agape during the whole Jor-El on Krypton sequence. I feel the same way as I did then. The first 20 minutes of the film are pitch-perfect... and then something happens. I don't know what, but it's just a damn shame.

I found the opening sequence quite jarring. That's when I learnt the film wouldn't live up to my expectations.

Isn't Jor-El supposed to be a scientist? Or is he the Krypton version of Bourne?

Rapture Palooza

A total misfire on just about every level. It showed on my radar for one reason only: The cast - Anna Kendrick, Craig Robinson, Tom Lennon, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel, Taylor Labine, Rob Corddry, and Ken Jeong. Impressive! However, despite an OK-enough script for a short comedy movie that doesn't try to be too epic, there wasn't enough laughs and it had the feeling of too many ideas trying to be in one movie at once a few times. The plot is that The Rapture has happened, and the only people left on earth are the non-Church goers, including a couple in Seattle (Kendrick and the kid from Bones) who try to go about their daily lives despite falling flaming rocks, blood rain, swearing locusts, insulting crows, and demonic wraiths being out at all times. Craig Robinson plays the AntiChrist, who the main characters decide to try to dispose of midway through the second act.

The only reason to see this movie is if you're a big fan of Anna Kendrick, either her acting or her looks, as she's in just about every scene of the movie, and sports this dress for the entire second half:

Rapture-Palooza-Poster.jpg

Is she the daughter of Bernadette Peters?

I watched the trailer too and thought it looked like a spoof version of Carrie.

Alex

Rapture Palooza

A total misfire on just about every level. It showed on my radar for one reason only: The cast - Anna Kendrick, Craig Robinson, Tom Lennon, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel, Taylor Labine, Rob Corddry, and Ken Jeong. Impressive!

I dont know who any of these people are.

Isn't Jor-El supposed to be a scientist? Or is he the Krypton version of Bourne?

That's what I was wondering. I don't know, that whole sequence just ran on for far too long. Not to mention it seemed like some giant action sequence that would play at the climax of a big-budget CG flick. Little did I know, the mass CGI destruction/battle sequences were only getting started.

I watched the trailer too and thought it looked like a spoof version of Carrie.

Alex

The performances looked good.