What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Hunger Games

Hey, it's not half bad. Certainly much more interesting that other teen franchises. And involving too. To my surprise, it actually goes somewhere.

Karol - who was expecting something much more generic

Me too. In fact, it's what I've been saying for a long time now and still you expected 'Twillight'. The second one (Catching Fire) feels more generic somehow. More spectacle but more emptier too. It's entertaining, sure, but it almost (!) feels like watching an J.J. Abrams movie.

Alex

The Hunger Games

Hey, it's not half bad. Certainly much more interesting that other teen franchises. And involving too. To my surprise, it actually goes somewhere.

Karol - who was expecting something much more generic

Me too. In fact, it's what I've been saying for a long time now and still you expected 'Twillight'. The second one (Catching Fire) feels more generic somehow. More spectacle but more emptier too. It's entertaining, sure, but it almost (!) feels like watching an J.J. Abrams movie.

Alex

It's not something I'd watch again, though.

I might see what the second one is like today.

Karol

OK then, I've seen Catching Fire now. It's on par with the previous one - not better, not worse - seems like a logical continuation. I'm actually now interested in seeing the next one.

Karol

You live near a lot of theaters.

That is true. There is a second run theater I could literally walk to (it'd be a decent walk, but nothing I haven't done before) and then a National Amusements about a 5 minute drive away. Then there is one at Patriot Place in Foxborough about 10 minutes away, one in Lincoln about 15 minutes away, and one in the Providence Place Mall about 20 minutes away. Haven't been to any others.

You live near a lot of theaters.

Half an hour? I'd guess I have about 30 theatres within that distance.

Yeah and they are fucking expensive. I paid like 16€ for GRAVITY, which would have been 11 in Berlin.

I've watched the Italian film The Great Beauty last night. Not sure if content-wise it is as clever as it would seem, but a stunning piece of filmmaking nonetheless. Absolutely gorgeously shot.

Karol

Half an hour? I'd guess I have about 30 theatres within that distance.

That's way above average.

The benefits of living in the capital. Only three of those show regular releases in their undubbed versions though (except for the occasional, semi-irregular original version screening in the multiplexes), so I generally have those to choose from.

Yeah and they are fucking expensive. I paid like 16 for GRAVITY, which would have been 11 in Berlin.

Haydn? They're ridiculously expensive, and their management is also seriously odd, to say the least. Still, they're one of the oldest cinemas in the country (even though the current management is doing its best to make you not notice that), and are equipped with all the latest technology. Their two smaller screens are ridiculous, but the main ones are fine, and the location is perfect, so it's usually my first choice.

You probably could have seen Gravity for less than that at Artis, which is also very good (if you get one of the bigger screens).

Afterwards I found out that they did do the occasional original version screening at IMAX, so I saw Gravity a second time there.

Ghost in the Shell

Conceptually, it's certainly reminiscent of Blade Runner of self-identity in a technology-advanced future, but it's more than that. The animation, while it still looks good, hasn't aged as well. The haunting chant is weirdly appropriate for the overarching themes of the film -- a wedding song sung by Japanese folk singers accompanying the primitive drum line. It's a good primer to get people interested in anime though.

Along with Neuromancer and Dark City

?

Are you dumb, deaf and blind?

The Matrix isn't influenced by Dark City.

Neuromancer (William Gibson), The Wachowski's, Ghost In A Shell and Dark City were influenced to some degree by Blade Runner though.