What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1981)

My God, every movie I watch makes me fall in love with Italian cinema even more. What an intriguing, thought-provoking and masterfully shot this movie was. The subjects it touches upon are very familiar to us argentinians in particular as it is quite similar to what would happen here when the military took over power by force.

Apart from that, it raises very legitimate issues regarding power and the abuse of that power. It feels extremly contemporary, there's a lot of stuff that I can relate to what's going on here right now, truly an eye-opener.

I don't have much to say but I can say that the film left me thinking so much; I love films that can do that. Also I should remark how well-shot and acted this film was. The italians sure know how to shot a film.

9/10

I really like the score.

Karol

12 Years A Slave

A good film, but it didn't move me as much as it seems to have moved some people. And it's definitely not the masterpiece a lot of people claim it to be.

Like many movies on slavery (or maybe it's just a feeling I have), it suffers from being a tad too manichean: all white people are evil, treacherous, vile, sleazy... except Pitt's character (Pitt who, by a fortunate coincidence, is also producer of the film) and to some extent, Cumberbatch's character as well. And all black people are poor, abused victims... Of course, that was generally the case at that time, but I can't help but wish there was bit more subtlety to the approach.

The cast is overall quite strong. Ejiofor really shines in his role. So do Fassbender, Paulson, Dano (who always seems to play the "pure douchebag" guy in those kind of films), Cumberbatch... No problem there.

The score is unremarkable on the whole, but there are a few scenes where it was just goddamn atrocious (to be more specific, the scene on the boat and

when they hang him)

and a real nuisance. Oh, and the main theme reminded too much of the theme in Shame.

In the end, the only really memorable scenes were

the hanging, which I found to be extremely powerful and Patsey's whipping.

. Apart from that, I don't think this film offers anything that could make it truly remarkable. It's well-executed for sure, but is it a transcending experience? I think not.

7/10

Now expecting Koko's "You're nuts" reaction.

The theme in Shame is just a rip off of "Journey To The Line."

As for your literal black vs. white interpretation, there were plenty of white people in the film that weren't "evil." Namely everyone in Solomon's own town that accepted him with respect and honor before he was kidnapped. He spends the majority of the film as a slave in the South, how much more subtle can you get?

Not to mention the black people in the North are treated very much like civilians with respect. As Koray said, I don't think they could have been any more subtle with it.

I normally don't like slavery movies, so I was disappointed when I heard McQueen was approaching the same topic. But this movie was great.

I also think Fassbender should go home with gold for his performance, as should the film as a whole.

Namely everyone in Solomon's own town that accepted him with respect and honor before he was kidnapped.

Yes, of course they were, but that was in the North. I was obviously talking about when he's a slave, in the South.

I haven't read the book, so maybe the movie is very faithful regarding how the white people treated Northup . It still seems a bit caricatural to me. But anyway, that was not a big issue for me, just something I wanted to point out. Even disregarding that, I don't find the film to be mindblowing like you do.

Namely everyone in Solomon's own town that accepted him with respect and honor before he was kidnapped.

Yes, of course they were, but that was in the North. I was obviously talking about when he's a slave, in the South.

I haven't read the book, so maybe the movie is very faithful regarding how the white people treated Northup . It still seems a bit caricatural to me. But anyway, that was not a big issue for me, just something I wanted to point out. Even disregarding that, I don't find the film to be mindblowing like you do.

Mindblowing isn't the proper term. It gutted me, emotionally.

The Pianist is a great film. Haven't seen it in years. Wonder if there's a blu.

I love how Polanski used space in that film. Basically, it gets more more compact in its scope as the main character gets more and more isolated. Very effective direction.

Karol

Why? The Academy isn't a 13 year old girl.

His kind often don't last long in prison.

The Pianist is also a bit boring and tame, especially for the likes of Polanski. Was he thinking 'Oscar' when he made it? He probably was.

Alex

Does Koray love it?

Possibly, but be warned it doesn't have wizards or laser beams in it.

I found The Pianist as satisfying as Schindler's List.

Have seen the film once many years ago.

Don't remember really anything but at the time I thought it was a very good film.

But in my opinion: Fiennes + Spielberg + Williams > The Pianist

Also, Adrien Brody's performance is a helluva start to a career isn't it?

I wonder why some people that get an Oscar disappear afterwards (disappear = don't play in big productions or productions with high artistic values).

Some others I could think of besides Brody: Jessica Lange, Kim Basinger, Halle Berry etc.

Also, Adrien Brody's performance is a helluva start to a career isn't it?

I wonder why some people that get an Oscar disappear afterwards (disappear = don't play in big productions or productions with high artistic values).

Some others I could think of besides Brody: Jessica Lange, Kim Basinger, Halle Berry etc.

How can you even say that. After his Oscar he plays the village idiot in The Village, then one of the leads in King Kong. Did a bunch of minor W.A. films Predator Splice and a slew of films. He does big and small films?