What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

No, but it was the template for lots of speculation that often argumented that the 'bad' things in A. I. were really Kubrick's doing which i think is BS.

Of course, it's BS, hence my examples. The smallest things can make a big difference.

I really only was invested in the abandonment in the forest and the scenes in a sunken Manhattan (which look marvellous). The rest was either idiotic (like the flesh fair) or static and unconvincing (the middle part: stage-bound, as if he couldn't imagine the world beyond a confined set).

The rest was either idiotic (like the flesh fair) or static and unconvincing (the middle part: stage-bound, as if he couldn't imagine the world beyond a confined set).

Rouge City AKA Los Angeles 2019?

Or like Quint once called it: "Disney's version of Blade Runner".

a-i-1_zpsc63e5a09.jpg

Alex

It is the world as presented by the director, there is tons of footage that is obviously not seen through David so i don't think that theory holds too much water. It's like saying JAWS is seen through the shark's POV (overstating my point slightly).

In the end, it was not a movie that had me by my throat except for the scenes mentioned. I respect Spielberg's hunger for something different but if not for him i doubt that i would have bothered to watch it to the end, to be honest.

You selected a scene that is almost an exact copy of a scene in Disney's The Hound And The Fox. Abandonment is a child's biggest fear.

What are your thoughts on Janusz Kaminski's work in general? Is he a friend or foe? How do you think he compares to Deakins and others? Is he just another generic Hollywood technician or is there more to him? Just curious.

I might be a bit biased because he's considered to be something of a national treasure. Well, maybe...

Karol

Most of Kaminski's work for Spielberg has been very good, starting with SL (imagine that Kaminski didn't have that much experience in 1993, so he was working mostly on instincts). Sometimes the lightning seems a bit too forced though...

Depends on how you look at it. The good is ... he's good. The bad is ... you don't tell him what to do. He needs to be credited besides Spielberg for controlling a picture.

Most of Kaminski's work for Spielberg has been very good, starting with SL (imagine that Kaminski didn't have that much experience in 1993, so he was working mostly on instincts). Sometimes the lightning seems a bit too forced though...

That film was mostly improvised anyway. No storyboards, no pre-planning. They were deciding what to do on the day.

Karol

Maybe that's why it's so good.

So why do you think he's a friend or maybe a foe? And what's with Polish cinematographers? Is it something in the water over there?

What do you mean?

Besides, I didn't say he was friend or foe. Just asking you.

Karol

You don't have an opinion on him?

Yes, when I was a child, my mother used to say the Polish are the best photographers. A lot of 'them' are from Poland.

battle-los-angeles-movie-poster-032_zpsb

I was completely impassive while watching this so I switched it off.

Alex

The Darjeeling Limited

Like all of Anderson's films, a richly textured and quirky, not to mention gorgeous looking comedy with impeccable attention to detail.

Resembles The Royal Tennenbaums in that it is a story about a dysfunctional family, which despite the differences does manage to somehow operate.

The 3 brothers going on a very very forced spiritual journey together are sharply drawn by the lead actors. Anderson vets Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and new boy Adrian Brody. I like how the dynamic between these three is painted. Full of hang-ups and left over behavior that develops when people grow up together. Wilson is the eldest and very controlling brother. Micromanaging the trip and seemingly oblivious to the fact that his two siblings find it annoying. They are on this trip, but their minds seem elsewhere, as they have their own issues. (Swartzman's highlighted in the short film Hotel Chevalier)

The movie takes place in a gorgeously designed train in gorgeous India, and has fun with the usual cliche's of "spiritual traveling". Western tourist seeking some kind of enlightenment by participating in rituals they dont even understand. Several attempts are made to perform a ritual featuring peacock features. When they finally manage to finish it, it actually works because they have made it their own.

Like all Wes Anderson films there is something elusive about it. It works, even though you're never quite sure how, or even what parts work. The movie both observer and ridicules "spiritual traveling" as embraces it.

I dont know if the part where the actual spiritual learning begins after they are booted of the train and therefore their meticulous schedule is pandering to an old cliche, or a comment on it.

There's a short meeting between the brothers and their mother, played by the invaluable Angelica Huston that puts a lot about the characters into perspective, while leaving so much unsaid (like the oldest brother she micromanages their lives and even has breakfast made for them before abandoning them)

An enigma of a film, but well worth the journey.

What do you mean?

Besides, I didn't say he was friend or foe. Just asking you.

Karol

You don't have an opinion on him?

Yes, when I was a child, my mother used to say the Polish are the best photographers. A lot of 'them' are from Poland.

I don't know about that, but there seems to be something to it. In the mainstream American cinema, things like Spielberg films, Black Hawk Down, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Sweeney Todd were singled out as having strong visual look.

Kaminski himself has a recognisable visual style to me. He uses a lot of mist, scattered use of lighting is quite specific to him. And, from what I was told, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a great looking film, too. For whatever reason, many of the techniques he uses often bleed into what other filmmakers are doing - Minority Report, Saving Private Ryan and War of the Worlds heralded the new look for big cinema. I like the moody and dreamy look of The Lost World very much.

Karol

Moonrise Kingdom

One of Wes Anderson's treats as writer/director is that his characters always inhabit a universe that excisted long before the film went rolling, and will continue to do so after it ends. Characters have long established relationships and idiosyncrasies with each other. Moonrise Kingdom is no different and opens with characters who seem to have been living on a small island in New England forever, in much the same way. The sudden disappearance of a 12 year old boy and girl suddenly changes things.

Despite their young age they do share similar traits with many other lead characters in Wes Anderson films. A certain dissolution with life, one is an orphan, the others parents seem at-least partially absent. They begin on, what if for 2 twelve year old, an epic escape from civilization and romance. While hunted by the authorities. In some ways this is the New England, coming of age version of Zabriskie Point.

The 2 leads are well chosen. Both kids 12, the girl as often already a bit bigger and a bit more mature. The romance has a sweet earnestness about it that you only ever get with the first time you fall in love. Both actors do well with the typical deadpan style Wes Anderson provides for them.

The mature cast consists of Anderson regular Bill Murray, once again as a cuckolded husband, Frances McDormand, an Ed Norton who is actually excellent in this (i'm not partial to the actor usually, but Anderson knows how to use him because he's also good in The Grand Budapest Hotel) and Bruce Willis. (possible the last role he did which showed him actually doing something a bit different)

Anderson's movies usually feature emotionally distant, articulate but very reserved who are nevertheless full of need characters. The two leads in this film actually fit that category perfectly, but because of their young age, it feels different. Their flight and romance often has scenes of great humour in it, but is treated essentially as they themselves see it, a deadly serious life changing and necessary commitment. Without reservations or hesitations.

Because of this you feel more for these characters then you would if they were the usual adult ones.

All of this takes place in a blend of rather beautiful New England nature and the usual Wes Anderson set design, which has a lighthouse that looks like it's come straight out of a comic book with it's candy-cane red and white colourscheme , and the whitest picket fences you've ever seen.

While initially light and breezy, the tone of the film shifts when the manhunt intensifies and a killer storm threatens the life's of all involved.

Together with The Life Aquatic, I would consider this Anderson's best film to date.

VERTIGO

DCP, but still amazing. Picture quality was excellent. So was the sound. Seems like they cleaned up some of the damaged bits of the score?

I've seen this both on film and digitally projected. The digital projection was the superior viewing experience.

However, when ever I see a film in DCP, I always think back to what Tarantino said:

Battle Beyond the Stars

You can't go home again. A film I remember as a kid and not seen since, probably for good reason. Just...nothing. If anything Horner's score seems to be his TWOK prototype, parts of the main theme and earlier tracks have hints of "Kirk in Space Shuttle"/"Enterprise Clears Moorings" and when JohnBoy goes into the attack at the end the start of the music is pretty much that opening of the "Genesis Countdown".

I probably should've saved some time and watch TWOK. Again.

Yes, but Tarantino is sentimental towards all things vintage. He's the Lenny Kravitz of cinema.

Alex

Very much so. He isnt exactly forward thinking.

But I see his point, as far as the theater goes.

Battle Beyond the Stars

You can't go home again. A film I remember as a kid and not seen since, probably for good reason. Just...nothing. If anything Horner's score seems to be his TWOK prototype, parts of the main theme and earlier tracks have hints of "Kirk in Space Shuttle"/"Enterprise Clears Moorings" and when JohnBoy goes into the attack at the end the start of the music is pretty much that opening of the "Genesis Countdown".

I saw it a year ago I think for the first time.

This would be a bad movie I love, since it has this 80s sci-fi nostalgia factor.

I didn't regret that I watched it, and I would watch it again..

I'm about now to watch Saturn 3. Never have seen it, and from what I understand it falls in the same category with Battle beyond the stars.

I don't understand his reasoning, but I can say for myself that I prefer film because I like the aesthetic, but I don't totally dismiss digital. When used right, it can look pretty amazing like what Deakins did with SKYFALL. I used to be against digital, but that was a decade ago when the most cutting edge was what Lucas brought with the two prequels. It's come a long way since then, thankfully. I do hope film remains as long as possible, because I think it's more ideal to have both options available rather than just stick with one or the other. Heck, I have both a film and digital Canon cameras.

I like the option too, but I notice that each time I'm impressed with image quality (not to be mistaken with magic), it turns out to be digital. I'm sure that as time and the medium progresses, it will be possible to emulate 'the magic' (whatever it may be) as well.

Alex

Duck Amuck

It may not be feature length, but dammit, it's still one of the funniest and self-aware cartoons ever made. Mel Blanc's voice as Daffy, plus the expressive Chuck Jones animation, make it so memorable. The cartoon works two-fold, as a delightful colorful diversion for children while adults will love the in-jokes.

Battle Beyond the Stars

This would be a bad movie I love, since it has this 80s sci-fi nostalgia factor.

I'm about now to watch Saturn 3. Never have seen it, and from what I understand it falls in the same category with Battle beyond the stars.

"Saturn 3" is trashy, but enjoyable. Technically, it showed that John Barry had a lot of promise. It's just a great shame that he was taken when he was.

Battle Beyond the Stars

"Saturn 3" is trashy, but enjoyable. Technically, it showed that John Barry had a lot of promise. It's just a great shame that he was taken when he was.

Yeah, it had a kind of charm to it...

I just came back from the showing of The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's really entertaining. Not sure if Anderson's best film, necessarily, but certainly a really good one. The cast is astonishing. Alexandre Desplat is a constant presence in it. In fact, the soundtrack album perfectly represents the narrative.

Karol

That charm that you can only find in movies older than 15 years, right? ;)

The charm that I find in old sci-fi which don't use CGI but more inventive and imaginative ways for special effects. ;)

The charm that I find in old sci-fi which don't use CGI but more inventive and imaginative ways for special effects. ;)

It's the charm of a human touch - i.e. flaws.

It's the charm of a human touch - i.e. flaws.

Exactly! (though CGI look - often - much more fake than the traditional effects).*

CGI is to me the same as playing an orchestral piece with midi samples.

IF you don't use live players, this element of life is lost.\

(* i bring Star Wars as an example. The CGI animals added, look more fake to me than the puppets used in the original trilogy.)

Puppet or CGI, Yoda always looked fake.

But apparently Lucas is having a good laugh when people are saying what is CGI or not in the Prequels.

Puppet or CGI, Yoda always looked fake.

But apparently Lucas is having a good laugh when people are saying what is CGI or not in the Prequels.

The Puppet Yoda didn't look fake to me!